It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
i

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Roselli's
badrogue17 wrote:
i

before e , except after c.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:37 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
BRick Reilly's awful profile of Cutler just made me like him a lot more. How could you hate someone who treats idiot reporters like this?

Quote:
Reporter (after a game): What happened on that first interception, Jay?
Cutler: I threw the ball.
Reporter: Right, but what did you see developing there? Take us through it.
Cutler (archly): It seemed like a good place to throw the ball.

Then there was this:

Reporter: When you were a kid, which quarterback did you look up to?
Cutler: Nobody.
Reporter: Nobody? You didn't look up to anybody?
Cutler: No.

I also support Jay being completely indifferent to John Elway's existence.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:58 am 

My guess is that he treated Ron Turner and Pep Hamilton similarly. Weren't there plenty of rumors that they didn't exactly have the greatest working relationship?

I do have to laugh though. JORR got a ton of grief for being "rude" to someone who is just trying to do his or her job at the bank and yet some people will actually applaud Cutler for being intentionally rude to someone who is just trying to do his job. I understand if you don't think it's a big deal but some people actually celebrate the fact that Cutler is a person that is rude to a lot of people. It's just funny to me. Ignoring personality flaws because you like it when they do something good is fine. Celebrating them is another story.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:33 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
My guess is that he treated Ron Turner and Pep Hamilton similarly.

Untill you have some facts, please STFU about Cutler. This goes for everyone who "thinks" they know Jay. Unless you know the man, stop posting stupid comments. FYI, Spending 15minutes in a post game interview room doesn't count or asking him a question for your little sports radio show doesn't count either.

GO BEARRS ... WAR EAGLES....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:41 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
My guess is that he treated Ron Turner and Pep Hamilton similarly. Weren't there plenty of rumors that they didn't exactly have the greatest working relationship?

I do have to laugh though. JORR got a ton of grief for being "rude" to someone who is just trying to do his or her job at the bank and yet some people will actually applaud Cutler for being intentionally rude to someone who is just trying to do his job. I understand if you don't think it's a big deal but some people actually celebrate the fact that Cutler is a person that is rude to a lot of people. It's just funny to me. Ignoring personality flaws because you like it when they do something good is fine. Celebrating them is another story.

Why are all these blowhards sticking up for rude bank tellers?
Like The Rock said, "Know your role and shut your mouth!"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:50 am 

Juiced wrote:
Untill you have some facts, please STFU about Cutler. This goes for everyone who "thinks" they know Jay. Unless you know the man, stop posting stupid comments. FYI, Spending 15minutes in a post game interview room doesn't count or asking him a question for your little sports radio show doesn't count either.
No thanks. It's very well known that he and Pep Hamilton had a bad relationship and that Cutler didn't respect him. It was reported that while not as bad as with Hamilton that the relationship with Turner was bad too.

Why do you feel the need to argue the fact that Cutler is found to be unlikeable by so many people? If it really doesn't matter then you shouldn't care.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:53 am 

Why do you like Purdue? Their chicken sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I don't think Cutler's being rude to the media, he just doesn't care so he doesn't give stock answers. The media then runs with Cutler's rude to us story, even though he's not. The interception comment is a perfect example. You know Cutler was thinking that looked like a good place to throw the ball, but since the reporter didn't get the answer he was looking for, Cutler's a jerk. Now I'm sure Cutler is a jerk, but not overwhelmingly so to the media. Hell, Reilly's article makes me like Cutler more. What kind of jerk doesn't publicize their charity work and what kind off asshole didn't have a childhood qb idol who was probably a big asshole too?

I'm not thrilled by his qbing, but his media interactions are amusing. Not enough to broadcast his press conferences though, fuck that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:15 pm 

Part of the reason it is so hard to like this team and get on board with their success is guys like Cutler and Urlacher and to a lesser extent Lovie. Their arrogance about their ability even when they are bad, is off putting.They want to portray themselves with the fuck everyone attitude fine, but then you should expect the same thing reflected back at you, especially when things arent going well. Urlacher cant seem to understand why anyone wouldve doubted they could be good and why they get no respect. How about the last 3 years when you guys sucked? People were expected to just jump on board the Bears happy train because you said they were going to be good, which is the exact same thing you say every year. Even if they win the Super Bowl, it will be a tainted celebration because of their unlikability.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:29 pm 

Let's see. Would I rather have the entire Cubs team made up of guys who make Ty Cobb look warm and fuzzy but win the freakin world series more often than the Yankees or have a roster filled with a bunch of lovable, media friendly guys who suck every year?

It's not even close.

I don't give a shit about Jay Cutler's personality. I don't care if every guy on the team hates him. So long as he isn't breaking the law, fucking his team mates wives or some how screwing me over personally the only thing that I care about is that he helps to bring the title back to town!

If anything I cheer the fact that he treats the media like shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
The worst stories from Cutler are from when he was 23. He was acting like a 23 year old.

Cutler clearly doesn't care what you think about him. He is who he is, and he seems comfortable with that. I understand people wanting him to be a golden boy, but that's clearly not him. He passes on endorsements, which is pretty consistent with his personality.

I can understand him treating the media like he does and I can understand him not wanting to sign autographs for 50 year old men who will sell it. Again, pretty consistent with his public persona.

Haven't ever heard squat from his teammates. College, or pro. So maybe they like him? That wouldn't be consistent with his perceived character, but maybe it's true.

Most importantly, he does a ton of charity work. And he wants no attention for it. Pretty INCONSISTENT with his public persona. So maybe, just maybe he really isn't as bad as people suggest.

He's good at football, and for that I'm a fan. Doesn't hurt that he is a good guy outside the game too. And until I see evidence his personality is detrimental to the team, I won't worry about his facial expressions or shrugging shoulders.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:55 pm 

StreetDoc67 wrote:
Let's see. Would I rather have the entire Cubs team made up of guys who make Ty Cobb look warm and fuzzy but win the freakin world series more often than the Yankees or have a roster filled with a bunch of lovable, media friendly guys who suck every year?

Why does it have to either extreme? My point is it would be easier to be happy about where the Bears are if their 2 main focal points didnt give off such a douchebag vibe. Personally, it makes me not like the team and actually want to see them fail. If all that matters is that they win no matter how big of asswipes these guys appear to be, fine. I just dont understand why you cant be both, a little more outwardly friendly, and a successful team. I would use the Blackhawks of last year as an example. If Toews and Kane or Sharp acted the way that Urlacher and Cutler do to the fans, media, etc, it wouldve been a lot harder to root for them despite how good and successful they were. The fact that they were more media and fan friendly certainly made their Cup run a lot more enjoyable and made me want to root for them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
badrogue17 wrote:
Even if they win the Super Bowl, it will be a tainted celebration because of their unlikability.

If their team bus runs over their opponents on the way to the Super Bowl, that's a tainted celebration. Having assholes on your team and winning the Super Bowl, that's NFL Reality for 32 teams and would hardly be considered tainted.

Now the Cubs, I couldn't care less how tainted any mythical championship they'd ever win was.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:58 pm 

My only problem with him is the poor footing mechanics and why he is not obsessed with fixing them. THAT kind of defiance is the one that is disturbing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:02 pm 

There are a ton of rationalizations in this thread. If you had a co-worker who treated others like Cutler does you wouldn't like him. If you had someone who just said "I don't care what people think" he would be described as a jerk. You wouldn't say "I don't care that he's a jerk because he does an above average job". You wouldn't say "Well, he always puts a dollar in the salvation army bell ringer pot so it's not a big deal that he treated former co-workers like they were unworthy of working with them". We all have known people like Jay Cutler. At best, they've been tolerated if they produce which is how Cutler should be viewed.

Then again, maybe some of you guys are just like Cutler. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Brick, his teammates, both past and current have liked him. Yes, there were rumors that Jay had a bad relationship with Turner and Pep. But you certainly don't hear that about Martz. They were rumored to be in love earlier this season.

I've had 2 awful managers. Both I didn't get along with. My colleagues love me, though. We're friends outside of work. But just because I didn't get along with 2 managers in the past doesn't mean I am a bad employee. In fact, I'm still here. They are not.

Again, until I see it manifest itself on the field, it's not for me to worry about.

And your salvation army example is poor. I'm not suggesting a murderer can simply make a donation, and be a good person. But when Jay shows a pattern of good behavior when the cameras aren't around, it's intriguing.

Then again, you can just say you don't like him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:42 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Brick, his teammates, both past and current have liked him. Yes, there were rumors that Jay had a bad relationship with Turner and Pep. But you certainly don't hear that about Martz. They were rumored to be in love earlier this season.
You say this like it's a fact or something. I detect a strong sense of "he's our QB and I'm going to defend him" type of stuff. You don't hear people saying bad things about Kruetz or Urlacher either. They are both jerks too. I mean, when Kreutz hit a guy over the head with a weight the guy who was hit apologized. :lol: Players are smart. They aren't going to say anything but positive things about team leaders.
Bucky Chris wrote:
I've had 2 awful managers. Both I didn't get along with. My colleagues love me, though. We're friends outside of work. But just because I didn't get along with 2 managers in the past doesn't mean I am a bad employee. In fact, I'm still here. They are not.
It sounds like you were unable to separate personal feelings from production here. It shouldn't matter if people like you or not. All that should matter is your production. The same is true of your managers. Of course, in reality, people don't ignore personality issues because they are productive.
Bucky Chris wrote:
Again, until I see it manifest itself on the field, it's not for me to worry about.
That's fine but stop defending him then. If you really don't care, then let us all think Cutler is a jerk.
Bucky Chris wrote:
And your salvation army example is poor. I'm not suggesting a murderer can simply make a donation, and be a good person. But when Jay shows a pattern of good behavior when the cameras aren't around, it's intriguing.
I don't know what this means. Nearly every NFL player does charity work of some sort. If it makes you feel better that he's not always a jerk that's fine. I judge people on how they always behave and not how they behave part of the time.
Bucky Chris wrote:
Then again, you can just say you don't like him.
I've already said I don't find him to be likeable. If he's on another team, you wouldn't either.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Honestly, all I want is to see his smarmy ass in two (2) more post game press conferences in the next three (3) weeks. Played well enough today. As the fine gentleman Country Bumpkin pointed out who cares about the rest. Let him be whoever the hell he wants.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:16 pm 

Let's see the guy doesn't give stupid pat answers to the media and doesn't suck on their dicks so some people don't like him.

I can guarantee you guys like Orton had problems with some teammates and coaches but because he sucked the medias dicks they never talked about it.

Look at how the media in the 90s covered for Grace for example.

ANd the guy is good to the fans. He signed autographs for half an hour at the Cubs convention and only stopped when Lovie called him on his cell and he had to go. Some older people were upset because he asked people to step back and give room and was reaching over adults to sign for the kids.

He's got the personality of a loaf of bread. SO FREAKING WHAT?

According to the media

Come back after killing dogs and you have a good season You're an inspiration.

Don't suck the medias dicks? You're a bad guy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:18 pm 

WomensBikeSeatSniffer wrote:
My only problem with him is the poor footing mechanics and why he is not obsessed with fixing them. THAT kind of defiance is the one that is disturbing.

How do we know he's not working on them? Maybe he just hasn't figured it out yet.

Or maybe people are telling him to change his mechanics and he's misunderstanding and changes who fixes his car every week.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Return to your cage.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:20 pm 

By the way when we hear guys are bad to fans even Mother Theresa has stories about her being rude to people.

And a lot of the time the fans were probably drunk and/or rude themselves.

I've heard stories about Orton being a jerk that would make even Boilermaker hate him. But you know what? I've heard as many good stories about him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:57 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
StreetDoc67 wrote:

Why does it have to either extreme? My point is it would be easier to be happy about where the Bears are if their 2 main focal points didnt give off such a douchebag vibe. Personally, it makes me not like the team and actually want to see them fail. If all that matters is that they win no matter how big of asswipes these guys appear to be, fine. I just dont understand why you cant be both, a little more outwardly friendly, and a successful team. I would use the Blackhawks of last year as an example. If Toews and Kane or Sharp acted the way that Urlacher and Cutler do to the fans, media, etc, it wouldve been a lot harder to root for them despite how good and successful they were. The fact that they were more media and fan friendly certainly made their Cup run a lot more enjoyable and made me want to root for them.

This is an interesting post, as it really exemplifies one aspect of enjoying sports - an aspect where I am on the complete opposite side of the spectrum (if aspects even have spectrums... maybe I meant something about ass and rectums actually).

It matters not one bit to me if Cutler comes off as unlikable, or if Urlacher gives off a douchebag vibe. I don't find it hard at all to root for them, nor is it easier for me to root for good "character" players. These people are nothing more than jersey numbers to me. And I don't understand why it should be any different.

I'm not ever going to meet any of these people. They aren't going to move next-door to me. They aren't going to babysit my kids. All I know is, I extract a rather irrational joy from watching Chicago teams win.

I know a guy who knows more about all the players' personal lives than I know about most of my friends. He roots for one guy because he volunteers at a shelter for abused animals. He roots for another guy because his mom survived an illness. He roots against another guy because he seemed arrogant on a human-interest piece he saw on a pre-game show.

I just don't get that. I've got enough human-interest stories going on in my real life than to be keeping track of all this stuff about people who have no relation to me, other than my watching them play football on Sundays. And really, what is the point of rooting for the good guys anyway? Does it help them succeed, some kind of karma thing or something? If you root for the guy who bought a home for his mother, maybe I'll root against him just out of spite! What does it matter?

So, to the assertion made earlier in this thread that I wouldn't be rooting for Cutler if he was on a different team, my answer is, I'm sure that's true and I'll totally own that. So what? I probably wouldn't give two shits about him, except to enjoy his good play, similar to how I enjoy watching Aaron Rodgers' good play for the Packers. But it's fun when Chicago teams win, so for that, I am rooting for Cutler.

The human-interest side of sports just does nothing at all for me, but maybe someone can explain that other viewpoint.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Am I the only one in the world not absolutely in love with Rodgers? Is he really that good and I hate him or is he not that good?

I love Cutler, I love his attitude, I love what he says and I cannot believe people find him unlikeable. I don't get it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:34 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Am I the only one in the world not absolutely in love with Rodgers? Is he really that good and I hate him or is he not that good?

I love Cutler, I love his attitude, I love what he says and I cannot believe people find him unlikeable. I don't get it.

Media love aside, I think Rodgers is damn good.

I don't get the Cutler stuff either. I've never heard of him running afoul of the law, hitting women, any problems with drugs or alcohol, being suspended, any of that stuff. He's terse and sarcastic with reporters. If anything, that makes me like him more. Apparently he didn't think Pep Hamilton was qualified to be an NFL quarterbacks coach. Something wrong with that if it's true?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:22 am 

cubbiegirlshamus wrote:
I've heard stories about Orton being a jerk that would make even Boilermaker hate him.
Please share this and don't make stuff up. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 pm 

I've heard things from people who work in bars and restaurants that make Pippen look generous with tips about Orton among other things.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
cubbiegirlshamus wrote:
I've heard things from people who work in bars and restaurants that make Pippen look generous with tips about Orton among other things.

Just tell the story. Who do you think you'd be offending? You think Orton gives a damn what we say here?
Out with it.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:49 pm 

cubbiegirlshamus wrote:
So your story is that Orton was not a big tipper? You do realize for most of his time in Chicago he wasn't making that much money right?

That has to be the lamest thing you've ever said. I absolutely love Scottie Pippen too even knowing he's a bad tipper.

It sounds like you just made something up.