It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:01 pm 

Saying Lovie should be gone and then saying he got a lot out of an inferior team, then KI comes in and...........
Spaulding you just got Krazy Ivaned!!!

Sorry, someone has to get this going. :lol:

the victory cry of low achievers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Quote:
They get a lot out of the less talented players but not near enough out of the ones that have the talent, IMO.

That's an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Douchebag wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
They won this year because of good coaching. That starts with Lovie and can include the other guys, if you like....

If the talent is bad, and the coaching is bad, how can they have gotten this far?

The anti-Lovie crowd would still be out in full force, even if they win a championship.

Exactly. Something about them has to be good if they are playing for the NFC championship. I get that people don't like him. But you can't deny that he coached the hell out of this team....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:10 pm 

A well coached team does not lose to the Redskins the way they lost to the redskins or the seahawks in the begining of the year. It doesn't excuse his past transgressions either.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:10 pm 

RFDC wrote:
This whole "lucky" thing is getting so overplayed. Sure they have had some good breaks this year, but so has every team that is left playing. Any team that wins a superbowl has some good breaks along the way. But no matter what you do not get to the Conference title game and/or a Superbowl just on "luck"

True.

What is also overlooked is the Bears took advantage of some breaks unlike some other teams.

Sure the Bears beat the Lions with Drew Stanton, but the Packers had the same opportunity and lost.

And all the Eagles had to do is beat Joe Webb and the Vikings (after the Vikings were stuck in a hotel for 2 days) and beat Dallas and their third string Qb to gain the second seed. We know how that ended up.

The Bears faced Tyler Thigpen instead of Chad Henne, big deal. Not sure there is much of a difference, probably the slightest gap between a 1 stringer and third stringer in terms of talent in the league.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Spaulding wrote:
A well coached team does not lose to the Redskins the way they lost to the redskins or the seahawks in the begining of the year. It doesn't excuse his past transgressions either.

So which is it? Are they a very talented team or a well coached team?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:12 pm 

Patriots got spanked by the Browns. They got pretty good coach.

the victory cry of low achievers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:13 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

Yeah, teams can't possibly play a single bad game all year. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:19 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
So which is it? Are they a very talented team or a well coached team?

There talent with some players that is there and I don't think it's being realized partially due to the coaching staff. My biggest problem has been lack of consistency.

Vincent Antonelli wrote:
Patriots got spanked by the Browns. They got pretty good coach.

It's gonna happen sometimes. It's not the expectation but more of and exception. Belichick's teams for the most part are consistently good don't you think? I wouldn't say that is the case for the Bears even if you throw out last year with key injuries. Even with key injuries the Pats consistently perform at a fairly high level against better opponents. Lovie hasn't won anything yet. A better coached team had a better chance in 06.

Last edited by Spaulding on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:22 pm 

I will be sad until I log back onto this site and find how much sadder your lives are. Then I will be happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Spaulding wrote:

But I think you miss the point that the Bears were a very different team in those games than they are now. They are no longer playing the Martz offense. Tice appears to be the de facto or co-offensive coordinator and has obviously helped the offensive line improve dramatically. Hester is also playing a greater role on special teams now that he is returning both kicks and punts. Finally, Cutler also appears to be getting a little smarter, although he still seems to hold the ball too long. In any event, his ability to throw on the run or just take off with the ball is highly underrated and makes the Bears very difficult to defend in key situations, especially since he has largely figured out when to throw and when to run (He still scares me inside the 20, though.).

The Bears were a pretty crappy team at the beginning of the year, but they are pretty good now. The coaching staff had major warts to conceal and has largely done so. You have to give them credit, even if some of their decisions (like moving Hester to kickoff returns) were way overdue.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Tall Midget wrote:
Should the Bears lose, I will not be sad for even one (1) second. I will, however, instantly be overcome with homicidal rage for the foreseeable future.

So....anyone up for watching the game with me?

That's a very Ten Foot Midget-esque response.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:44 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

Spaulding wrote:
It's gonna happen sometimes.

Pick a lane, you cannot have it both ways.

You contradict yourself a lot in these Bears discussions. Your hatred for Lovie has blinded to you to what has actually taken place this year.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:27 pm 

It's not having it both ways. You are comparing 2 coaches that are not the same. He was comparing Lovie to Belichick...come on. It's a consistency issue. Happens more than occasionally to Lovie, you could find more games this year or any other year. A few years ago the Pats lost their starting quarterback some would argue the best player in the league. They still went to the playoffs. They handle their personnel well.

Quote:
The Bears were a pretty crappy team at the beginning of the year, but they are pretty good now.

You do not know what you have in this team. They might come out and look great or like crap on either side of the ball. I'm hoping they can pull it together the next few games. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:36 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
You do not know what you have in this team. They might come out and look great or like crap on either side of the ball. I'm hoping they can pull it together the next few games. 8)

And last year you could have said that about the Saints (After Dec. 1), or in prior years it easily could have been the Pats, Colts or the Giants.

Give Lovie his due... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:37 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
You do not know what you have in this team. They might come out and look great or like crap on either side of the ball.

You just described every team left in this years playoffs.

As much as you dislike Lovie and refuse to admit he has done a real good job of coaching this year, I am wondering if his wife is one of the ladies who stole your swimsuit.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:40 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
It's not having it both ways. You are comparing 2 coaches that are not the same. He was comparing Lovie to Belichick...come on. It's a consistency issue. Happens more than occasionally to Lovie, you could find more games this year or any other year. A few years ago the Pats lost their starting quarterback some would argue the best player in the league. They still went to the playoffs. They handle their personnel well.

Quote:
The Bears were a pretty crappy team at the beginning of the year, but they are pretty good now.

Actually the Patriots did miss the playoffs that year without Brady. But regardless, in comparing Lovie to Belichick, you are setting the bar really high, you have to admit. Not only is Belichick considered one of the great all-time coaches, but he has had a first-ballot hall-of-fame QB all these years, and he has an owner that consistently procures talented players for him on both sides of the ball. Lovie does not have those advantages - not even close.

And actually, the most consistent thing Belicheck has done lately is go 8-0 at home and then lose game 1 of the playoffs :P I would hate to see your wrath if Lovie pulled off a stunt like that. :wink:

To one of your other points though, which talented players do the Bears have that aren't playing to the best of their abilities?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:58 pm 

Crystal Lake Huffy wrote:
If the Bears lose, Im going to punch a board member in the balls.

As long as it's Spaulding.....who cares ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:00 pm 

Saints kind of reminded me of the late 90's early 00 bucaneers. They were good on one side and hoping the other side was good enough for a year or 2. Colts and Pats have been good for a number of years. Giants are crap but I think the Bears are better than them.

You people are fucking crazy. He's done an adequate or I might give you good job part of this year. It does not erase the other years. He might become a better coach in the future but to run around and say he is a good coach is nuts. I've been hearing since the bye week blah blah blah...Woo hoo for 8 games or so he did a really good job fuck yeah I love him let him put his nuts on my nose. It great when he plays not to lose can't get enough of that philosophy.

Personally I think he has stepped aside and let the other coaches coach more. That's not the sign of a good coach. I think Rod has been the one not playing the cover 2 and Martz runs the offense. I wasn't into the doom & gloom. I thought this team would be 8-8 with really good games and really bad games. I was 3 games off. Some was luck and some teams were not as good as I thought they'd be.

Now that I think about it they got shredded by the Jets and the Pats too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:01 pm 

My husband handles his own balls.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:04 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
My husband handles his own balls.

In a perfect world....shouldn't that be your job..... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:06 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Personally I think he has stepped aside and let the other coaches coach more. That's not the sign of a good coach.

That is what you want to believe because it helps out your overall conclusion of Lovie. But there is no proof that this is happening. Keep trying. You have your mind made up and no one is going to change it.

I was ready for Lovie to be gone last offseason as well, but when a guy makes changes and does things better you have to give him credit for it. I do not understand what is so hard about that.

Your Bears thoughts are quickly reaching the level of COF's NBA thoughts, and that is bad...real bad.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:09 pm 

24_Guy wrote:
Actually the Patriots did miss the playoffs that year without Brady. But regardless, in comparing Lovie to Belichick, you are setting the bar really high, you have to admit. Not only is Belichick considered one of the great all-time coaches, but he has had a first-ballot hall-of-fame QB all these years, and he has an owner that consistently procures talented players for him on both sides of the ball. Lovie does not have those advantages - not even close.

And actually, the most consistent thing Belicheck has done lately is go 8-0 at home and then lose game 1 of the playoffs :P I would hate to see your wrath if Lovie pulled off a stunt like that. :wink:

To one of your other points though, which talented players do the Bears have that aren't playing to the best of their abilities?

I didn't start the comparison. It's not a fair one.

Not sure on Harris and Urlacher. I expected Cutler and Olsen to be further/farther? along, Hester. Maybe Forte, Knox.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:09 pm 

Just for the record, even though Spaulding's thoughts on the Bears and Lovie are BRUTAL, she can still handle my balls any time. :wink:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:15 pm 

RFDC wrote:
That is what you want to believe because it helps out your overall conclusion of Lovie. But there is no proof that this is happening. Keep trying. You have your mind made up and no one is going to change it.

I was ready for Lovie to be gone last offseason as well, but when a guy makes changes and does things better you have to give him credit for it. I do not understand what is so hard about that.

No that's really what it looks like to me. To you it looks like he became smart and is a good coach then there is no proof that happened either.

Maybe I will give him credit over the next few games, if I see he does something right, not luck. I'm not ready to forget or forgive all the other evidence that you have since last offseason. Elephants don't forget. :elephant:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:19 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Maybe I will give him credit over the next few games, if I see he does something right, not luck. I'm not ready to forget or forgive all the other evidence that you have since last offseason. Elephants don't forget. :elephant:

Maybe Elephants should pause to remember most of the post 1950 Bear history....and that Lovie has been about as successful as any Bear coach during that period ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
To you it looks like he became smart and is a good coach then there is no proof that happened either.

The reported meeting he had with Martz to adapt the offense to more running and less 7 step drops is a clear mark of this happening.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:27 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
24_Guy wrote:

I didn't start the comparison. It's not a fair one.

Not sure on Harris and Urlacher. I expected Cutler and Olsen to be further/farther? along, Hester. Maybe Forte, Knox.

I don't know... Harris plays on one leg, Urlacher is on the downhill side, but yet is considered in the running for DPOY. Cutler and Olsen, I don't expect Lovie to help in the manner on the offensive side. Not sure what Olsen's ceiling is anyway, he was (allegedly) shopped around last summer and (allegedly) nobody wanted him. Hester shouldn't be a WR, Knox is a little guy drafted in the 5th round from a small school, Forte is pretty good both running and receiving... OK my rambling aside, I guess there's no way to know how these players would gel under a different coach.

But Belichick not withstanding, who do you think might be better? In the last few weeks, I saw McCarthey waste the last 4 minutes off the clock and running out of time during the final drive in NE, I saw Pete Carroll kick a FG from the 8-yd line down 28-0 in the third quarter, I saw Andy Reid do something bizarre (can't remember what), and I saw Tomlin use both red flags in the first quarter, one of them on the first play, the kick-off return, to try to get 12 yards of field-position back.

Andy Reid lost at home in round one with supposedly the greatest offense known to man. Sean Payton showed his ass, big time, in Seattle. Coughlin missed the playoffs altogether, even though a division rival in Dallas wet the bed. Caldwell called a TO to help the Jets get into field goal range in the closing seconds.

Apparently I'm feeling quite verbose right now, but you get the point. It's not like Lovie is a dope in a league of geniuses.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:28 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Maybe Elephants should pause to remember most of the post 1950 Bear history....and that Lovie has been about as successful as any Bear coach during that period ;)

Set the bar a little lower why don't you?

He's probably a little over .500 but I don't think they win because of him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:30 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
To you it looks like he became smart and is a good coach then there is no proof that happened either.

The reported meeting he had with Martz to adapt the offense to more running and less 7 step drops is a clear mark of this happening.

Took way too long, what most could see, who knows if that was his decision.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next