It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1985 Bears on right now
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:19 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
For you youngsters out there...the NFL network is showing the Bears -vs- Packers game from Nov. 3, 1985.

Bearssss..........Ditka...........Sausage..........

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:48 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hopefully Terry is watching so his memory can be refreshed as to how great Wilber Marshall really was.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:01 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
damn missed it.

Yes, Wilber Marshall was great. People forget he won another SB w/ the Redskins.

I think Wilber had an overall better career than the sackman Dent. Maybe because he was just all over the field when he played and when he hit, he hit the shit out of you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Lance Briggs is some kind of player. He's got a pretty good chance to make the Hall of Fame. But he should never make it before Wilber Marshall. At least not unless he plays at a freakishly high level for a freakishly long time. And he's at the age where most guys start fading. Marshall hung on for about three seasons when he wasn't Marshall. But I would say he was the second most important guy on that Bear defense behind Hampton. They weren't the same after he left.

I couldn't believe Terry said that. Maybe he's been sitting next to li'l danny too long and he's actually starting to believe that the game is played at a drastically higher level now than it was twenty-five years ago. But even danny wasn't willing to agree that Briggs was better than Marshall. Because danny may be an asswipe, he may be a shit starter, he may be ignorant about some stuff he insists on taking about like he's an expert, but he isn't goddamn dumb. All you have to do is look at their numbers and you can see how much more of an impact player Marshall was. But you shouldn't even need to do that if you remember his career and Terry saw all of it. And I'm not taking anything away from Briggs. He's one hell of a linebacker.

And the idea that the game is played at a much higher level now than it was in Marshall's time is absolutely absurd. If you believe that you have to believe that guys like Payton or Lawrence Taylor would be less than great if they played now. Does danny really believe that players were markedly slower in 1986 than they are today? The biggest difference is that interior lineman are fatter on average than they were.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
We all know that Terry's sports knowledge is minimal. Sure he knows who is on what team & basic things that my Wife knows, but as far as x's & o's go, he knows no more than most of the guys on this board. He says that Briggs is a better player than Marshall & if you don't agree with him then he cant help you...but wont give a reason why he believes this...because he really doesn't know. It's all gotten so old.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Excellent post by JORR. I think though that Marshall was given more chances to "disrupt" an offense with a hell of a lot more blitzing in '85. I still think Marshall is a little better but not by too much.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Dude, JORR is my new favorite poster.

Live ye in a realm devoid of mirrors? This Q.Bouifs guy brings DA FIRE AND DA PASHIN. I heard he's going to make an otherwise everyday local band performance out in Plainfield a thing. There could even be a deck of cards involved =P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:09 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Dude, JORR is my new favorite poster.

He has been bringing the living FUCK out of it lately, making timely, witty, obscure factual, yet accurate observations, not to mention his taking on of numerous opponents at once - AND KNOCKING THEM THE FUCK O-U-T!

I'm making him my Board Authority Figure.

From now on, when I have to check some facts, etc., I'm going to JORRY ENTERPRISES, LLC. for my consulting needs.

Your standards are low.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Q.Bovifs wrote:

That would be close to even money, as this motherfucker seems to know and have done EVERYTHING!

Especially Facebook and PayPal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:35 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I guess the '85 Bears can still find gigs in the Chicago area.
Ditka is still DA MAN!

Lovie did not have his team ready. 30 minutes of football shot in the ass.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:44 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Lance Briggs is some kind of player. He's got a pretty good chance to make the Hall of Fame. But he should never make it before Wilber Marshall. At least not unless he plays at a freakishly high level for a freakishly long time.

Agreed. Wilbur Marshall was a game changer. Briggs isn't asked to do the things he was, so it isn't exactly apples to apples, but Marshall was a player who really factored into the opposing teams' game planning. Briggs...not so much, kind of like a Tom Jackson type...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:55 am 
Site Admin

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Start an argument with him right now - pick a subject. You vs. him on golf would be good.

I prefer to argue about sports.