It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lovie to get extension
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:32 pm 

Jerry said that Lovie will likely get a extension this offseason. I'm with Mac though, Lovie was horrible yesterday. Personally, he doesn't deserve one just for having Collins #2 all season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
He's earned it.

Hopefully it's 2-3 years for around 8-10th highest paid coach money

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:50 pm 

Earned it? I'd guess he is slightly over .500 during this present contract with one good season skewing the curve.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Northside_Dan wrote:
He's earned it

Hmmm.....did I miss the Super Bowl parade?

Hell, why not extend Angelo while we're at it? Martz, Tice, Maranelli line up and get yours.

This team sure loves rewarding mediocrity. Jim Hendry would be a perfect fit with this crew.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Earned it? He might be one of the worst coaches with his decision making I have ever seen. He should have been fired before this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:54 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Earned it? He might be one of the worst coaches with his decision making I have ever seen. He should have been fired before this year.

Chris,
What proof do any of us have Lovie makes any ingame decisions especially on Offense?
I never see him talking into the headset in 8 years of watching him on TV.
I supported Lovie for all of those 8 years. If you look at his body of work,not too bad.
I think right now the Bears should dump Angelo,bring in Cowher and let him decide who coaches.

Last edited by jimmypasta on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Considering the vast number of injuries, inexperienced players, and strength of schedule Lovie did an exemplory job with the team he was handed.

Oh... wait... none of that happened. Fuck it; give him 3 more years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
63-49, Three Division Titles, 2 NFC Championship Appearances and 1 Super Bowl Trip with Rex Grossman as his QB.

The grass isn't always greener. I'm totally in favor of a reasonable extension

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:57 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
He might be one of the worst coaches with his decision making I have ever seen.

That might be kind of a stretch. One of the worst of all time? The guy has had his ups and downs. I'll agree that he isn't Vince Lombardi, but I think you're drinking a little too much of the "Fire Lovie" Kool Aid. I don't think he is a top tier coach in the NFL, but he isn't Wade Phillips or Brad Childress either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Lovie did a good job this season. The loss is still fresh in everyones mind, so I understand everyones feeling in regard to the timing of it...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:00 pm 

Northside_Dan wrote:
63-49, Three Division Titles, 2 NFC Championship Appearances and 1 Super Bowl Trip with Rex Grossman as his QB.

The grass isn't always greener. I'm totally in favor of a reasonable extension

One NFC championship, 2 division titles and the super bowl were during the last contract when he earned an extension at a top of the market rate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:02 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

Chris,
What proof do any of us have Lovie makes any ingame decisions especially on Offense?
I never see him talking into the headset in 8 years of watching him on TV.
I supported Lovie for all of those 8 years. If you look at his body of work,not too bad.
I think right now the Bears should dump Angelo,bring in Cowher and let him decide who coaches.

1 has he ever won or made the right choice with his challenge flag? He has to have a below 30 percent win ratio. 2 How he uses his timeouts. Everyone rememebers when he used that TO vs Seattle in 06 so maybe they would punt the ball to Hester one last time. Say Seattle draws a PI flag there and kicks the FG for the win, do you still want him back? Everything broke the Bears way this year. If they get the Eagles or the Saints instead of Seattle im pretty sure we wouldnt have won either of those games. He is not a good coach plain and simple.

Good dolphin made my point about his contract too. He hasnt done shit since he got that contract besides this year. Let him play it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:05 pm 

Northside_Dan wrote:

So is the goal of the Bears to get to the Super Bowl or to win the Super Bowl?

7 years is long enough.

Any other major market NFL team would have fired him long ago. But if Virginia likes you, you're pretty much safe. Unless you're an assistant coach, then Lovie will not hesitate to throw you under the bus.

What a joke.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Phillips, Angelo & Lovie need to go. Bring in a football guy to replace Phillips & hire Bill Cowher.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Let him finish the contract. There is no reason to give him a sense of security. He made positive adjustments when under the fire. Make him do it again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:20 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

That might be kind of a stretch. One of the worst of all time? The guy has had his ups and downs. I'll agree that he isn't Vince Lombardi, but I think you're drinking a little too much of the "Fire Lovie" Kool Aid. I don't think he is a top tier coach in the NFL, but he isn't Wade Phillips or Brad Childress either.

When Dick Jauron got his contract extended after the 01 season it showed how big of fools the Chicago Bears football organization is. It bit us in the ass because you bascially had to fire him 2 seasons later because he was so bad. I was kind of with Mac on this one, thinking that the best thing for the Bears were for Lovie to tank this year and him get fired. I think this was probably the worst, because fans will think this guy knows how to manage a game/team now and he has shown he doesnt.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

When Dick Jauron got his contract extended after the 01 season it showed how big of fools the Chicago Bears football organization is. It bit us in the ass because you bascially had to fire him 2 seasons later because he was so bad. I was kind of with Mac on this one, thinking that the best thing for the Bears were for Lovie to tank this year and him get fired. I think this was probably the worst, because fans will think this guy knows how to manage a game/team now and he has shown he doesnt.

Yeah, thank god they didn't make the Super Bowl, the Bears might have given Lovie Smith the key to the city.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:27 pm 

Im sorry if you think that his .563 record and 3-3 in the playoffs is grounds for ANOTHER contract extension but I dont. Let him play out his contract and if he does this well next season sign him before the playoffs start. If not let him walk, and Im sure you can find another coach to be just above average.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:31 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Im sorry if you think that his .563 record and 3-3 in the playoffs is grounds for ANOTHER contract extension but I dont. Let him play out his contract and if he does this well next season sign him before the playoffs start. If not let him walk, and Im sure you can find another coach to be just above average.

I have no problem with criticizing some of the guy's decisions, but some of the hatred people have for the guy is downright weird. Nobody thought this team would be even relevant this season, and they were a drive away from possibly going to the Super Bowl. You have to give him some credit. The statement that you wished the Bears would have tanked the season before it even started is absolutely ignorant.

Let me make a comparison. The Cubs have Mike Quade. I really don't like the guy or the hire. I still hope the Cubs go all the way. I'm not praying for the guy to fail. Why would you feel that about any team you are a fan of?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:44 pm 

Don't like Mike Quade??? What has the guy done to warrant any dislike? He took one of the most disappointing Cub teams and did a fine job the final few months. He is good with the press and has tons of minor league managing expierience. I'm hoping the Cubs kick everybody's ass big time under Mike!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
jimmypasta wrote:
Don't like Mike Quade??? What has the guy done to warrant any dislike? He took one of the most disappointing Cub teams and did a fine job the final few months. He is good with the press and has tons of minor league managing expierience. I'm hoping the Cubs kick everybody's ass big time under Mike!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:49 pm 

Man,oh,man...Some mean fuckers on here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
You'll get over it.

Every time I see Quade, I can't help but think of Sloth.

I'll buy you a beer Saturday. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:57 pm 

I will hopefully be around for a long time and be able to watch my favorite teams win many many championships. I will give up a season for the betterment of the team. I thought before the season started that they were going to be really bad and they werent. I dont think this has to do with Lovie at all. I think alot of it was things falling the right way for the Bears and honestly his arrogance is something I just cant stand anymore.

To answer you question about the Cubs: Last year when I saw the writing on the wall the Lou wouldnt be back and the team had no chance at doing anything, I did want them to trade away their guys like Lee and Lilly and anyone else that would have brought back a decent prospect or two.

Short of Lovie winning the Super Bowl for the Bears everything else was the worst thing that could happen. The Bears having a good record this year makes fans think this guy is a good coach and should be back for another 4 to 5 years. That is so far from the right decision it makes my head hurt. They need to get someone in here that can make better decisions, choose better number 2 qbs, someone that wont try and blow smoke up the fans ass every chance he gets. Lovie Smith needs to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:02 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
[ Nobody thought this team would be even relevant this season, and they were a drive away from possibly going to the Super Bowl. You have to give him some credit. ?

I do give him credit. He gets to keep his job at 5.5 million next year. He hasn't earned job security.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
He has earned a congratulatory slap on the ass and a 3 month supply of extenze.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:08 pm 

Calling for your team to tank in the middle of the Season when they are completely out of it is incredibly different than calling for your team to tank when their record is 0-0. If Lovie would have started off 3-9, I would have no problems calling for his head. But he got a team this far, that no one thought would finish above third place in the division.

Luck doesn't get you to the NFC Championship game. It might get you 1 or 2 victories, but it doesn't get you 12.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:19 pm 

Luck was the word of the year for the Bears

Game 1 vs Detroit should have lost that game but luck would have it Johnson dropped the ball after almost 95 percent of the people in America thought it was TD.
Game 3 vs Green Bay. Luck would have it that by than I think they had 6 starters out with injuries and called 18 penalites agaisnt them and you barely get by with a 3 point win at home.
Game 10 vs the Dolphins 3rd string QB. Not saying they couldnt beat the Dolphins with Henne in but it sure as hell helped they got the Dolphins number 3 QB.

Lovie should be happy with the one year on his contract now and just go about his business.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:25 pm 

Lovie has done a good job in his time here.

But with the possible work stoppage looming, no reason to extend him now

Theyve been in the mix for a title 3 of 7 years

Lest we forget the Jauron Wannstedt combined ONE playoff win

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:39 pm 

And Jauron and Wannstedt have the same number of Super Bowl rings as Lovie.