It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:16 am 

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/02/bears-extend-lovie-smith-through-2013-season.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
:cry:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Seems like the right amount of years. Happy we didn't go crazy with another 5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:22 am 

I just don't get this decision. He certainly deserved to be retained but I don't think his performance was that awesome to warrant an extension. Beating the worst playoff team in NFL history and then losing to the Packers isn't exactly a legendary performance. Regular season was good though.

Maybe this wasn't his fault, but I think Lovie Smith's biggest mistake of the year was letting Todd Collins be the backup QB after we saw how bad he was. I don't care about that veteran QB stuff. Hire a coach that is a veteran QB who can call signals in and talk with Cutler on the sideline. Todd Collins was a clueless fool out there against the Packers. Hanie also looked unprepared but that's expected when you aren't getting any snaps. Hanie came in and showed some ability. Who knows what he does if he's given the advantage of actually being important in practice instead of pretending to be Aaron Rodgers for a week.

If that was Martz's call then he should have been fired. That was the worst coaching decision of the whole year and it was also the most important. Hanie may not have been able to win that game either but he certainly gave us a better chance than Todd Collins.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:31 am 

Im good with this

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
This works for me. If they play next year, and for some reason he totally
fucks up the 2011 and 2012 seasons the Bears would be more willing to
eat that last one year rather than 2 or 3. I'll just be interested to see
if he can back up a successful season with another one. They need a
good draft this year with a few of our stars aging quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:48 am 

What makes you guys think that outside of winning only 4 games next year that the Bears would fire Lovie? He was given 3 non-playoff seasons after the Super Bowl loss. Losing in the NFC title game probably buys him the entire length of this contract.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:48 am 

I like it. It is not a long crazy extension. Just enough to tell him good job this year, but do not get too comfortable and keep working hard. Also, it puts the end of the deal at the same time as Angelo's deal.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Last edited by RFDC on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
At least the length of the deal makes firing him a possibility if some unmitigated disaster occurs that exceeds whatever 2009 was.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
This organization is the definition of mediocrity.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Ban me
A 2 year extension is just what I thought they should do. It's never a good idea to let a coach go into the seasonn as a lame duck after winning the division.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:54 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
What makes you guys think that outside of winning only 4 games next year that the Bears would fire Lovie? He was given 3 non-playoff seasons after the Super Bowl loss. Losing in the NFC title game probably buys him the entire length of this contract.

I don't think they would fire him after one year if the Bears fall on their faces with less than
6 wins. I was just happy to see they didn't give him 4 or 5 more years. Also, as mentioned
above, his deal runs out exactly the same time Angelo's does which was good thinking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Aggravated Sox Fan Bob wrote:
This organization is the definition of mediocrity.

Bob,
I have mixed feelings. I always supported Lovie. I have the "be careful what you wish for" sentiment. Chicago gets a young (cheap) coach to come in here and next thing we know,the Bears are 3-13. I felt this year,they should have just left him alone. Let him earn it by putting the Bears in the playoffs 2 years in a row. How soon we forget 7-9,9-7. Not ALL Lovies fault. No coach in the NFL can get more with less. That's what Lovie has been doing with the crap players Angelo drafts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
HOVA wrote:
A 2 year extension is just what I thought they should do. It's never a good idea to let a coach go into the seasonn as a lame duck after winning the division.

Why?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: *
I'm happy with this

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:04 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
T-Bone wrote:
If they play next year, and for some reason he totally
eat that last one year rather than 2 or 3.

Why would you think that?

They weren't willing to eat the final year of his deal this past year. They just replaced everybody else.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:28 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

They weren't willing to eat the final year of his deal this past year. They just replaced everybody else.

I didn't say that they would do it but if they completely tank two years in a row, which
I wouldn't expect them to do, I think it would be easier for them to pull the trigger. I also
didn't realize that the extension would have he and Jerry running out at the same time so
that being said, I am sure if they want to make a change they would want to change it all
together.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:32 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

He had 2 years and $10M left on his deal. The guys they replaced contracts were up.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:38 pm 

Darkside wrote:
HOVA wrote:

Why?

Even the best coaches can lose the locker room if they are put in a position like that. Fans are pissed a Lovie for being mediocre even though his teams had a ton of injuries those 7-9 and 9-7 years and no talent at all. The Bears still don't have a lot of talent but Lovie has shown that he will coach his team to a playoff bye if you give him a little talent. I lay more of he blame on Angelo for the lack of talent. If the guys they released go on to other teams and have good careers it falls on Lovie. So far there isn't a player that has been released by the Bears that has gone on to have success somewhere else. You may be able to say Marc Colombo but that has a little more to do with injury.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:41 pm 

HOVA wrote:
So far there isn't a player that has been released by the Bears that has gone on to have success somewhere else. You may be able to say Marc Colombo but that has a little more to do with injury.
Cedric Benson.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
HOVA wrote:
So far there isn't a player that has been released by the Bears that has gone on to have success somewhere else. You may be able to say Marc Colombo but that has a little more to do with injury.
Cedric Benson.

I stand corrected.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:56 pm 

HOVA wrote:
Even the best coaches can lose the locker room if they are put in a position like that. Fans are pissed a Lovie for being mediocre even though his teams had a ton of injuries those 7-9 and 9-7 years and no talent at all. The Bears still don't have a lot of talent but Lovie has shown that he will coach his team to a playoff bye if you give him a little talent. I lay more of he blame on Angelo for the lack of talent. If the guys they released go on to other teams and have good careers it falls on Lovie. So far there isn't a player that has been released by the Bears that has gone on to have success somewhere else. You may be able to say Marc Colombo but that has a little more to do with injury.

So the whole reason is that you have potential to lose the locker room?
Is that really a problem? I was under the impression that Lovie was one of those great Player's Coaches, in fact that's one of his major selling points, isn't it?

I really want to see how he would have reacted this year, contract year, gelling offense, a shot at fixing easily identified issues on offense.

And someone has to pay in my opinion for Collins. If it's Jerry it's Jerry or Martz but damn that was bad. Real bad. We should have known in the Carolina game that dude was DONE.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
HOVA wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
HOVA wrote:
Cedric Benson.

I stand corrected.

RW McQuarters

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:03 pm 

Darkside wrote:
HOVA wrote:

So the whole reason is that you have potential to lose the locker room?
Is that really a problem? I was under the impression that Lovie was one of those great Player's Coaches, in fact that's one of his major selling points, isn't it?

I really want to see how he would have reacted this year, contract year, gelling offense, a shot at fixing easily identified issues on offense.

And someone has to pay in my opinion for Collins. If it's Jerry it's Jerry or Martz but damn that was bad. Real bad. We should have known in the Carolina game that dude was DONE.

Players like him but they also know when a coach has power and when he doesn't. Giving him a couple of years was the safest thing to do unless the Bears didn't really want him back.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:03 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
HOVA wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Cedric Benson.

I stand corrected.

RW McQuarters

Thomas Jones?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:19 pm 

Chris Harris may qualify too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:56 pm 

No. We're talking about players that were drafted and sucked that left the Bears and had success with another team. Thomas Jones is a guy that wasn't really good and came to the Bears and played at a high level. McQuarters wasn't drafted here and even though he won a SB with the Giants he had more individual success her than he had with them or the Lions. Benson is the only guy. I'm not sure I would blame that on coaching either but I can't dispute that he had his best season once he left.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:26 pm 

HOVA wrote:
No. We're talking about players that were drafted and sucked that left the Bears and had success with another team. Thomas Jones is a guy that wasn't really good and came to the Bears and played at a high level. McQuarters wasn't drafted here and even though he won a SB with the Giants he had more individual success her than he had with them or the Lions. Benson is the only guy. I'm not sure I would blame that on coaching either but I can't dispute that he had his best season once he left.

Justin Gage had a couple decent seasons in 2007 and 2008.

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/bears.html

Here's a list of their draft picks. It's surprising to see so many names still there, but no one jumps out as a success elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
add brandon lloyd to list... lovie smith has input on draft day... and on free agents like adam archuletta , angelo and smith will both be gone in 3 years and will win nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:15 pm 

HOVA wrote:
Most draft picks that are cut from the team that they are drafted from don't do much anywhere else.

One could argue that a certain QB would qualify on your list too, but that was a trade.