It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:05 pm 

RW McQuarters? Really?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
HOVA wrote:
No. We're talking about players that were drafted and sucked that left the Bears and had success with another team. Thomas Jones is a guy that wasn't really good and came to the Bears and played at a high level. McQuarters wasn't drafted here and even though he won a SB with the Giants he had more individual success her than he had with them or the Lions. Benson is the only guy. I'm not sure I would blame that on coaching either but I can't dispute that he had his best season once he left.
Most draft picks that are cut from the team that they are drafted from don't do much anywhere else.

One could argue that a certain QB would qualify on your list too, but that was a trade.

Not all. Like I said earlier the fact that this there haven't been really any players that have had success after they left the Bears shows that Lovie and his staff gets the most out of everyone. On the other hand Jerry doesn't usually give him much to work with. Whenever he does the Bears generally have success. Top 10 head coach IMO.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
rogers park bryan wrote:
RW McQuarters? Really?

Joke. Didn't think anybody would take it seriously. But there ya go... :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:52 pm 

The bears have not had a lot of players go on to success.

In this regard, theyre ahead of most teams.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm 

HOVA wrote:
Not all. Like I said earlier the fact that this there haven't been really any players that have had success after they left the Bears shows that Lovie and his staff gets the most out of everyone.
Your qualifier is that they were drafted by the Bears and then released. That means that most of them aren't very good and that's why they went from draft pick to nearly out of the league.

Most players that are cut from average to below average teams don't go play better somewhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:56 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
HOVA wrote:
Not all. Like I said earlier the fact that this there haven't been really any players that have had success after they left the Bears shows that Lovie and his staff gets the most out of everyone.
Your qualifier is that they were drafted by the Bears and then released. That means that most of them aren't very good and that's why they went from draft pick to nearly out of the league.

Most players that are cut from average to below average teams don't go play better somewhere else.

The orton traede upgraded the position
Justin Gage was as good here as he was elsewhere
McQuarters was TERRIBLE for the Giants

Benson and Harris (especially since Lovie sat Harris right away) are the ones to list

and thats not many

I think you'd find many more for most coaches

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:21 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I think you'd find many more for most coaches
When you limit it to players you drafted and then were so bad that you cut them I don't think so. Most of those players either are just as bad in other places or drop out of the league.

It's not like the Bears have really taken other players and made them better than they were either. Jay Cutler was "supposedly" better in Denver. Mushin was much better in Carolina. Chester Taylor was worse. Brandon M. was worse. Peppers was probably better but he was always a stud.

My point on Orton was that almost right from the start he was significantly better. The position may have been upgraded but it's clear that Orton had more talent than Lovie could get out of him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:30 pm 

Even if you go outside of players the Bears drafted the list wouldn't be long. I would argue guys like Thomas Jones and Hillenmeyer became better players. And many other players with very little talent have played key roles.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:Image

Did you think when Orton came out of college he was going to be a great starting quarterback for the Bears? My thought was he was going to be a great backup.

Nice examples. Maybe that's why I get the feeling he gets more out of shitty players and less out of talented players. It's really odd.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:37 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Did you think when Orton came out of college he was going to be a great starting quarterback for the Bears? My thought was he was going to be a great backup.
Is my point really that hard to comprehend? It seems both you and rpb missed it.

Nas was asking about players who went other places and played better. I referenced the fact that Orton was significantly better after he left. Take your "Oh, he mentioned Kyle Orton alarm" down a notch and realize the context.

For the record, I always thought Kyle Orton would be a starting QB but he needed about 3 years of seasoning. He had tons of talent but was missing certain things needed to succeed. Thanks for telling us you were wrong on Orton though. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
rogers park bryan wrote:

This just means that the Bears are worse talent evaluators than everyone else.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:39 pm 

When looking at a coach or a staff a good way to determine if they are good is seeing if they get the most out of their players. I would say the Bears under Lovie have done this. They've done it with very little talent too.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:39 pm 

HOVA wrote:
Even if you go outside of players the Bears drafted the list wouldn't be long. I would argue guys like Thomas Jones and Hillenmeyer became better players. And many other players with very little talent have played key roles.
Moose, Brandon M., Chester Taylor all got worse too. We can play these games all day. Most free agent pickups don't do anything remarkable. The Bears haven't had many who got better after leaving and the Bears haven't gotten many who did anything but played just as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:40 pm 

HOVA wrote:
They've done it with very little talent too.
Be real. The defense has been stacked with pro bowl level talent on defense including one or more future hall of famers.

The offense has had issues but not at running back and even offensive line has been decent up until the past few years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:42 pm 

I'm also still shocked that more people weren't furious about how badly the coaching staff messed up the Hanie/Collins situation. They may very well have lost the game against the Packers because Hanie had no snaps in practice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:43 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

This just means that the Bears are worse talent evaluators than everyone else.

That would actually make them better. RPB is saying most teams have draft picks that end up playing well somewhere else after they're cut.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'm also still shocked that more people weren't furious about how badly the coaching staff messed up the Hanie/Collins situation. They may very well have lost the game against the Packers because Hanie had no snaps in practice.

He should have been cut after the Giants game. The Panthers game should have kept him from getting another NFL job. I think it was Martz call to move him up to #2 again. Lovie overruled him 2 series late IMO.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
HOVA wrote:
When looking at a coach or a staff a good way to determine if they are good is seeing if they get the most out of their players. I would say the Bears under Lovie have done this. They've done it with very little talent too.

Wait...didn't you tell me & everyone else here before last season that the Bears were one of the most talented teams in the NFL? Remember?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Is my point really that hard to comprehend? It seems both you and rpb missed it.

Nas was asking about players who went other places and played better. I referenced the fact that Orton was significantly better after he left. Take your "Oh, he mentioned Kyle Orton alarm" down a notch and realize the context.

For the record, I always thought Kyle Orton would be a starting QB but he needed about 3 years of seasoning. He had tons of talent but was missing certain things needed to succeed. Thanks for telling us you were wrong on Orton though. :lol:

No it's not, but it's fun. :lol:

I still don't think he is a great starting quarterback.

Quote:

Was more pissed they weren't prepared the first half. They are not known for digging themselves out of holes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:50 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
HOVA wrote:
Moose, Brandon M., Chester Taylor all got worse too. We can play these games all day. Most free agent pickups don't do anything remarkable. The Bears haven't had many who got better after leaving and the Bears haven't gotten many who did anything but played just as well.

You named guys who were never good or was on the downside of their careers. You're reaching. If a guy is a terrible coach there should be clear evidence when it comes to players.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:54 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
HOVA wrote:
They've done it with very little talent too.
Be real. The defense has been stacked with pro bowl level talent on defense including one or more future hall of famers.

The offense has had issues but not at running back and even offensive line has been decent up until the past few years.

When they've been healthy the Bears have gotten 1st round byes.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
lol@ lovie being a top 10 coach...not in my book.... see you look at a guy like garret wolfe, and next year you will say " lovie got the most out of him" because why? the bears got rid of him and he did nothing on another team, or perhaps is out of the league. i look at it like this.. angelo n smith never should have drafted that bum, especially in the 3rd round... they fucked up on draft day...they fucked every year after by not releasing that bum. and i imagine he will be out of the league, but he probally would have never been in the nfl if these to tards did not draft him. then compounded their mistake by keeping him all these years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:58 pm 

HOVA wrote:
You named guys who were never good or was on the downside of their careers. You're reaching. If a guy is a terrible coach there should be clear evidence when it comes to players.
Mushin and Chester Taylor were both coming off really good seasons. Brandon M. is tough to judge by statistics but he was useless for most of the year last year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:01 pm 

HOVA wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

He should have been cut after the Giants game. The Panthers game should have kept him from getting another NFL job. I think it was Martz call to move him up to #2 again. Lovie overruled him 2 series late IMO.
I have a hard time believing that Lovie Smith was ever overruled by Martz. If he was, then I'm even less confident in him.

I don't think Lovie should have been fired. Of course you don't fire a coach after a season like that. However, the team will be in the same spot next year where the Bears don't want to pay two coaches.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:07 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
HOVA wrote:

Wait...didn't you tell me & everyone else here before last season that the Bears were one of the most talented teams in the NFL? Remember?
This post deserves some credit. That's a WYC moment if it's true.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:09 pm 

312player wrote:
lol@ lovie being a top 10 coach...not in my book.... see you look at a guy like garret wolfe, and next year you will say " lovie got the most out of him" because why? the bears got rid of him and he did nothing on another team, or perhaps is out of the league. i look at it like this.. angelo n smith never should have drafted that bum, especially in the 3rd round... they fucked up on draft day...they fucked every year after by not releasing that bum. and i imagine he will be out of the league, but he probally would have never been in the nfl if these to tards did not draft him. then compounded their mistake by keeping him all these years.

While there is no doubt JERRY reached when he drafted Wolfe (thought he could be Dunn) there is no doubt he would have been drafted. While he was never good at RB he ended up being a good ST player. Jerry drafts the players and Lovie has some say on who stays on the roster.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:12 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
HOVA wrote:

This post deserves some credit. That's a WYC moment if it's true.

At key positions they are. If you go back and read what I said in that post the majority of it ended up being true. Don't crap me.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:17 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
HOVA wrote:
Mushin and Chester Taylor were both coming off really good seasons. Brandon M. is tough to judge by statistics but he was useless for most of the year last year.

Moose was on the other side of 30 and played well with Orton his first year and was solid most of his time here. Playing with a great player like Steve Smith doesn't hurt. Taylor didn't get enough touches IMO. If you recall Forte wasn't good earlier in the year when he didn't get many touches.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:07 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
b belichick, m tomlin, s payton, rex ryan mike smith, mike mccarthy ,todd haley ,andy reid, tom coughlin, raheem morris and norv turner...11 coaches right now id take over lovie... u take away that bs call in detroit, and playing bills on neutral field(bears home game pretty much.. the weakest schedule in nfl and the whole team stays healthy all season not to mention all the 2nd and 3rd string qb's they faced...the bears are who we thought they are. 9 wins no playoffs.... lovie gets paid like a top 5 coach ..he is not even close... 8 wins next year no playoffs...maybe 5-6 wins year after, and angelo n smith are run out of town... with zero rings... bears have 3 hall of fame players on defense.. guys who dominate in any system and will retire with zero rings. this team has peaked, it is all downhill from here. you may think i am full of shit. but i swear on my life that a very good friend of mine is good friends with a starter on the bears, they take family vacations together , they go to vegas together... the bears players on a whole do not think lovie is a smart man, they laugh at him. they all like him, saying he is a great guy...just not a smart man.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:46 pm 

HOVA wrote:
Moose was on the other side of 30 and played well with Orton his first year and was solid most of his time here. Playing with a great player like Steve Smith doesn't hurt. Taylor didn't get enough touches IMO. If you recall Forte wasn't good earlier in the year when he didn't get many touches.
Taylor got more carries this year than he has since 2007.

Moose was considered a big time free agent when they signed him. He's actually another answer to who left the Bears and did better. He had a really good season the year after he left the Bears. Then he got really old.