http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/03/01/ ... round-one/

Round 1, Pick 29: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
Round 2, Pick 30 (Overall Pick 62): Marcus Cannon, OG, TCU
Round 3, Pick 29 (Overall Pick 93): Quan Sturdivant, LB, North Carolina
Round 4, Pick 30 (Overall Pick 126): Greg Romeus, DE, Pitt
Round 5, Pick 29 (Overall Pick 157): Justin Boren, OG, Ohio State
Round 6, Pick 30 (Overall Pick 190): Cedric Thornton, DT, Southern Arkansas

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post subject: Re: Mock Draft
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:20 pm 

Report on Sherrod:

Pass blocking: Good initial quickness. Eases out of his stance and has the lateral agility and balance to mirror the defender. Good hand strength and has long arms that he uses to latch onto and control his opponent. Generally plays with good knee-bend and leverage, but can lose his anchor when he tires. Can become fundamentally lazy and lean into the defender; gets knocked off-balance and gives up the inside lane. Should improve in this area with greater focus on his technique, but has an upside-down triangle build due to broad shoulders and relatively narrow hips, making him top-heavy and susceptible to being overpowered. Among his better attributes is his recognition. Recognizes the blitz coming and gets a good initial pop on his primary target (defensive end) before passing him off to the guard and working his way outside to catch the rushing linebacker or stunting defensive tackle.

Run blocking: Comes off the ball too high and lacks the pad level and power to consistently knock defenders off the line. Good quickness and hand strength to turn and seal off defenders from the play. Good recognition to release from double-team and get out to the second level. Scouts would like to see him finish blocks with more authority before releasing.

Pulling/trapping: Good initial quickness to release to the second level, but has only average agility to re-direct in the open field. Locates his target, but has to do a better job of anticipating where the defender is going. Isn't fluid enough to change direction and hit the moving target. Too often extends his arms, "catching" the linebacker, which could result in penalty flags when playing against NFL-caliber athletes. Good trap blocker due to his initial quickness, big frame and recognition.

Initial Quickness: Good, though not elite, initial quickness off the snap. Has the agility and long arms to handle most right defensive ends (and thus remain at left tackle), but due to the fact that he is a bit top-heavy and lacks elite balance, is susceptible to quick jab-steps outside and spin or counter moves back to the inside. Is quick enough in the running game to turn and seal off the defender, creating a wall from which the running back can bounce off from.

Downfield: Gives good effort to block downfield. Above-average straight-line speed, though his average balance keeps him from being as effective at the second level as his speed and size would indicate. Gets in the way of defenders and has the wingspan to alter their path, but struggles re-directing his charge.

Intangibles: Was one of 16 players to win the storied National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame (NFF) Award, which includes a post-graduate $18,000 scholarship. Earned his degree in business with a 3.54 GPA. Is the third Bulldog to win the award and the first since 1989. Team leader voted a captain in 2010. A four-year member of the M-Club, MSU's student-athlete community service organization, he has spent considerable time with the youth of Mississippi. He has served breakfast at Sudduth Elementary School, participated in Sudduth's Kids Fair and read to local students to promote literacy. He has also organized a Thanksgiving food drive.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:23 pm 

Report on Cannon:

Pass blocking: Relatively nimble for his size, but there are concerns about his ability to handle speed on the edge. Difficult for college strong-side ends to get around, especially when technique-sound. Takes short steps off the line, can backpedal when necessary to cut off blitzing linebackers. Enough lateral movement to jar the defensive end with one hand while blocking down to double-team defensive tackles. Allows defenders too far into his body instead of extending his arms to lock them out. Has a strong second punch but it takes some time to land it. Bends at the waist and takes time to recover if punched. Lines up in two-point stance even when his teammates have their hands down because he'll struggle to maintain contact off the snap. Will push off when opponent tries to disengage, instead of keeping his feet moving to sustain.

Run blocking: Has the prototypical size to drive defenders off the line. Uses his size to seal the edge and wall off inside rushing lanes, but does not consistently get his hands up to manhandle smaller players he should dominate. Strong enough to anchor against the bull rush from bigger defensive linemen and turn them out of the hole. Needs to get out of three-point stance more quickly, but might be more explosive when lined up closer to the ball inside.

Pulling/trapping: His fairly quick feet allow him to create holes when trapping inside, but his ability to pull around the line is limited. Tough to shed, but a lack of flexibility prevents him from hitting targets in space or reacting quickly to inside defenders.

Initial Quickness: Only adequate initial quickness; often comes off the snap last. Quick defensive ends can beat him outside, especially when quarterback takes a five- or seven-step drop. Can land a strong punch, but is slow to get his hands up to control his opponent.

Downfield: Can reach linebackers at the second level when he gets out of his stance quickly. Fails to hit targets, only getting a hand on them instead of engulfing them with his size. Defenders often deflect off of his blocks to make plays.

Intangibles: Solid player with good character and work ethic. Added 50 pounds since arriving at TCU. Only missed two games -- with an ankle injury in 2008.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:24 pm 

Report on Sturdivant:

Read & React: Fires toward the line of scrimmage against the run. Can beat the blocker to the spot and is a tackle machine. Susceptible to play-action due to his aggressiveness but is athletic and savvy enough to rarely be caught out of position without recovering. Good understanding of angles in the passing game. Struggles a bit when changing direction and can get himself in trouble in the open field against slippery runners. Seems to always make the tackle, but it isn't always pretty or textbook execution.

Run defense: Best attribute as a run defender is his straight-line speed to the flanks. Attacks the line of scrimmage and can beat the blocker to the action due to his instincts and aggression. Quick enough laterally to avoid blocks, but struggles to disengage when his opponent does get to him. Needs to develop better upper-body strength and refine his hand play to get free of blocks quicker. Good effort laterally and pursuit.

Pass defense: Possesses the straight-line speed to remain at outside linebacker in the NFL, though he offers only average balance and agility to remain with tight ends and running backs one on one. Has a rare understanding of the passing game for a linebacker due to his experience as a quarterback. Reads the quarterback's eyes and breaks on the ball well, showing better than average ball skills for the position.

Tackling: Isn't a classic striker despite his gaudy tackle numbers. "Catches" many of his tackles, as he has a tendency to overrun the play slightly and is forced to break back inside to ride the ballcarrier to the ground. As such, he isn't always the prettiest open-field tackler, but consistently gets the job done. Scouts would like to see him become a bigger, more explosive hitter.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Only occasionally asked to rush the passer in this scheme, though he does show a burst to attack the line of scrimmage when blitzing. Relies too much on his speed to beat the pass blocker, getting stalemated when his initial speed rush is stopped. Still a work in progress disengaging from blocks. Shows little to no technique rushing the passer.

Intangibles: Proved his work ethic by graduating from high school early to enroll at UNC and adjust to the linebacker position. Was a highly successful quarterback in high school, earning conference offensive player of the year honors and leading his team to the state playoffs. Characterized by those close to the North Carolina program as a team leader. Teams will question Sturdivant about his arrest in July 2010 for marijuana possession.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:26 pm 

Report on Romeus:

Strengths: Prototype-sized NFL rush end. Owns good (but not special) closing speed to the ball that helps him provide secondary rush when the offense can't hit its first option. Effective bull rush, able to get his hands up and arms extended to walk tackles toward the quarterback. Fairly smooth moving into coverage, could potentially move to a 3-4 linebacker with NFL coaching. Rips off blocks with his hands, shows enough flexibility to get under shoulder pads to turn the corner and is able to swim over tackles with violent hands and a jump-step. Able to knock down passes with his long arms and large hands when penetrating into the backfield. Could be a three-down player at the next level because of his leverage against the run on the weak side. Stacks tackles and disengages to contain against cutbacks. Recovers from punches, maintaining his ground and getting back into the action to catch backs coming through the hole. Good flexibility to get under pads to penetrate gaps inside or outside. Flashes pop into man's jersey to bull rush or punch and roll outside to take away bootlegs and outside runs. Upper-body strength allows him to rip the ball out of running backs or receivers' grasp while making a tackle.

Weaknesses: Good, not great, get-off at the snap as a pass rusher. Tests tackles on the edge more with his height and length than pure speed, but may have trouble doing so against veteran NFL linemen. Fails to give good effort if held up on the line. Runs with his pads high, best when going straight to the quarterback because of average change-of-direction ability; mobile passers will elude him in the backfield. Will bite on misdirection. Needs to improve defeating cut blocks. Does not stack and control ends on the edge consistently, needs to use his hands more efficiently to make plays. Could improve his consistency chasing plays; stands around too often after his teammates make initial contact.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:27 pm 

Report on Boren:

Strengths: Very explosive with his initial punch into the defender. Keeps his head on a swivel and has good awareness. Gets a good push in the run game. Angles his body well and can turn the defender out of the hole. Fights well with his hands. Has a strong enough upper body to knock pass rushers off their path. Moves his feet well when pass protecting. Gets good leverage. Has a knack for putting the defender on the turf. Handles spin moves well. Gets around the line in a hurry when pulling. Good awareness coming around the edge and finds the most dangerous defender. Squares up well at the second level.

Weaknesses: Doesn't always sustain the block after initial contact. Has poor agility and is stiff moving laterally. Fails to get a push in short-yardage situations. Can be beat off the snap by a bull rush. Tends to stand straight up when pulling and trap blocking. Does not sustain blocks when pulling. Can be slow to accelerate off the line. Does not hustle to get to extra defenders.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:29 pm 

Isn't it the stance of the board that Jerry will just mess up the first few draft picks anyways or is that only when it's convenient to an argument?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:31 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Isn't it the stance of the board that Jerry will just mess up the first few draft picks anyways or is that only when it's convenient to an argument?

Probably so, just was bored so I decided to see what the early Mock Drafts were saying.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
I like the looks of that positionally at least. Add in a Sidney Rice signing and you've got quite a nice offseason.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
How about in Round 3 best available O/D lineman or WR and signing Vernon Gholston?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:18 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
no guys from vandy?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
Good stuff RFDC

Awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:45 am 

I like the top 2. I really like Cannon in the second.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: rst341
I really like all thx.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:28 pm 

Quote:
1st round, No. 29 overall: OT Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State (6-5, 321 lbs.)

It will continue to be interesting to see how the offensive tackles get shuffled on the draft board. I previously had Wisconsin left tackle Gabe Carimi here, but he has benefitted from some inconsistency shown by Boston College’s Anthony Castonzo and Colorado’s Nate Solder, as well as an injury to USC’s Tyron Smith. Carimi had a strong combine as well and it’s doubtful he’ll still be around at No. 29. Some believe Smith is the best tackle in the draft, but he pulled out of the combine suddenly after participating in the bench press. Some fluid was found in his knee, but he is expected to be 100 percent at USC’s Pro Day March 31. I was tempted to put Smith here after the injury, but most think he will be fine and it will be hard for him to slip past the Lions at No. 13.

That puts four tackles ahead of Sherrod and with the Bears selecting No. 29th overall, it’s likely they will end up with the fifth-best tackle. Sherrod is a little shorter than the other guys at 6-5, but he’s still big enough and many consider him to have the best blocking technique among all the offensive linemen in the draft. Smith, Solder, Castonzo and Carimi are going to wow scouts with their athleticism, but Sherrod is just a sure-blocker who gets the job done.

2nd round, No. 62 overall: DT Marvin Austin, North Carolina (6-2, 309 lbs.)

I previously had a different Tar Heel — cornerback Kendric Burney — going to the Bears in the second round, but Tommie Harris was since released and defensive tackle is now a greater need. Austin is an interesting player because he missed his entire senior season after the NCAA started investigating whether he and other teammates improperly received benefits. That has plenty of NFL teams worried, but Austin was good enough a year ago to enter the draft early and go in the first round. The question is, is he in shape? Austin answered that question at the combine by posting the third-best 40-time (4.90) and the second-best bench press (38 reps at 225 lbs.) among defensive tackles. Still, it seems likely Austin will slip well into the second round after not playing for a year and if he gets all the way to the Bears, it would be hard for them to pass him up.

3rd round, No. 93 overall: OT/G Clint Boling, Georgia (6-5, 308 lbs.)

My raid on linemen continues and if you can’t tell by now, I believe every football team should be built inside-out. There’s a small chance Burney will still be available here and if he is, I would definitely take him. With that said, the next two cornerbacks I like are Ohio State’s Chimdi Chekwa and USC’s Shareece Wright and I think both will still be available for the Bears in the fourth round. I also love San Diego State wide receiver Vincent Brown, who I took with this pick in our last mock draft, but he’s flying under the radar and could still be an option in the fourth or even fifth round.

At this point, my top corners and wide receivers are gone so instead of reaching and taking one too early, I’m headed back to the offensive line to find a versatile guy with experience who I can move around. Clint Boling was a four-year starter at Georgia and played both tackle and guard. He’s likely a guard in the NFL, which is fine because I already took Sherrod in the first round. Boling is pretty athletic and had a good combine. He also stood out in the Senior Bowl and provides great value in the third round.

4th round, No. 126 overall: CB Shareece Wright, USC (5-11, 185 lbs.)

I struggled over this one for a while as I think the safer pick might be Chekwa. Wright had a ton of obstacles to overcome at USC and was only on the field for about two of the five years he spent there. First he dealt with playing time issues, then injuries and then academic problems. It wasn’t until 2010 when he became a full-time starter, but he was able to put phenomenal numbers with 73 tackles, 7 tackles-for-loss and 2.5 sacks. His combine numbers were pretty good as well. Wright’s history is going to keep him out of the early rounds, but he may be a steal here and is a good fit in the Cover-2.

Chekwa, meanwhile, is a speed-demon, but struggles in one-on-one coverage. That may be OK in the Bears’ defense, but he doesn’ t possess the ball-hawking skills Lovie Smith loves. Chekwa is a very smart player and Ohio State has a good reputation for cornerbacks, but I think the fourth round is too high for him.

5th round, No. 157 overall: WR Vincent Brown, San Diego State (5-11, 187 lbs.)

In my last mock draft, I had Brown going to the Bears in the third round, but he didn’t have a great combine and he measured in even smaller than he was previously listed. There are a few scouts who still believe he is a third round talent and based on what I saw on film — which I value a lot more than measureables — I concur with those scouts. Still, 5-11 is very small for a wide receiver and the 4.71 40-time Brown posted at the combine won’t help his stock at 187 lbs. This could work to the Bears advantage, however, and I think he’s a steal in the fifth round.

6th round, No. 190 overall: LB Eric Gordon, Michigan State (6-0, 224 lbs.)

Here’s a guy who I love and is flying completely under the radar. Greg Jones got all the love at Michigan State during Gordon’s career, but I had a chance to see Gordon play in-person three times and he was always flying around the football field. A four-year starter, Gordon racked up 332 tackles, 29.5 TFLs and 9.5 sacks in his career at Michigan State. He didn’t receive an invite to the combine, but we’ll see what numbers he can put up at his pro day March 16. Quite frankly, I don’t care what his numbers say. Gordon is a flat-out football player who at the very least would be able to bring what Hunter Hillenmeyer brought to the Bears in his career. The Bears’ linebackers aren’t getting any younger and Gordon would provide depth as a fourth LB.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:41 am 
1000 CLUB

If Gabe Carimi is still on the board, I hope, when the Bears pick I sure the flying fist fuck hope Jerry pulls his head up and out of his hairy ass and picks him, the guy is a monster talent and by far the best lineman in the draft.

PM Mr.Pickles for the link, get your Mr.Pickles tee-shirts today!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Mr.Pickles wrote:
If Gabe Carimi is still on the board, I hope, when the Bears pick I sure the flying fist fuck hope Jerry pulls his head up and out of his hairy ass and picks him, the guy is a monster talent and by far the best lineman in the draft.

Agreed. Barring a major injury he could be a guy you could depend on for a long time.
I just think he'll be gone by the time the Bears are up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Good haul, but I doubt Romeus drops that far, and DL (or S) is probably a better value in the 2nd than another OL, needs notwithstanding.

@Peoria Matt: Gholston isn't worth the vet minimum.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
FWIW: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... 950.column

Quote:
With first pick, Bears likely to deal
A trade-down, on the other hand, could be exactly what the draft doctor ordered

Dan Pompei
On the NFL
1:20 PM CDT, April 9, 2011

At the No. 29 spot in the first round of the NFL draft, it is appearing more and more likely the Bears' best option will not be picking a player to fill a position in need.

It is more likely their best option will be general manager Jerry Angelo going Monty Hall and working all angles to make a deal.

It's always very difficult to project who will be available at the bottom of the first round, but with less than three weeks until the draft, the possibilities are becoming clearer. And it's looking more and more like the Bears will be in no man's land if they stay put.

Many Bears fans are praying the team can find an answer at left tackle with its first pick. It remains a possibility, but it appears more likely that every left tackle prospect worth a first-round pick will be gone by the time the Bears are on the clock.

The good news is there are five potential first-round tackles, so one could slide. The tackles most likely will fall in this order, based on a survey of NFL scouts: Tyron Smith, Nate Solder, Anthony Castonzo Gabe Carimi and Derrick Sherrod.

If Carimi slips, it's because some teams are concerned about his cockiness. Sherrod could fall a bit because he's a love-or-hate-him prospect. But more love him than hate him.

If all five are gone, the Bears would have to reach for a tackle at 29, and that would not be prudent.

As for interior lineman, guard/center Mike Pouncey is expected to be long gone at 29. If the Bears are stuck at that spot, Danny Watkins of Baylor might not be a bad concession. A former firefighter from Canada who is 26, Watkins has climbed up draft boards because he is considered a safe pick. He is known for his strength, character and toughness.

The Bears could use a pass-rushing defensive tackle, but their options probably won't be very enticing at the end of the first round. Corey Liuget from Illinois should be chosen in the teens. Phil Taylor and Muhammad Wilkerson are not really the style of tackle the Bears are looking for.

They could reach for someone like Marvin Austin, Drake Nevis or Terrell McClain but should have better options elsewhere.

The Bears also need a defensive end, and the 2011 crop is good. But seven of them are expected to be off the board before the Bears' turn. Cameron Heyward, who is a better fit for a 3-4 defense, Brooks Reed and Justin Houston likely will be left. The latter two could fit in Rod Marinelli's scheme but would be better values later.

As for linebackers and wide receivers, the Bears likely would have to reach to take one at the end of the first round. There are some solid second-round prospects at both positions, but none of them has late first-round value.

Which brings us to a trade. Personnel director Tim Ruskell has acknowledged that it could be worth considering moving up. And the Bears might have to move up to get an immediate impact player.

But the price might be prohibitive, unless one of their targeted players slides and they merely need to move up a few spots.

Understand this about the Bears. As a result of trades and misses, they have one player on their roster from the first three rounds of the last two drafts — safety Major Wright. This is a team that is badly in need of an infusion of multiple young players. For their long-term health, the Bears need numbers of solid players more than they need one difference maker.

So barring something unusual, a trade up probably is not in the Bears' best interests. A trade down, on the other hand, could be exactly what the draft doctor ordered.

It seems certain there will be buyers in the market for a late-round pick. Among the teams that could be interested in moving up, perhaps for a quarterback, are the Bills, Bengals, Browns, Cardinals, Titans, Redskins, Vikings, 49ers, Raiders, Jaguars and Seahawks.

It also seems certain there will be other sellers in the market, however. That the Patriots will be willing to move down is almost a given. Others, including the Ravens, likely will be all ears as well.

So the Bears might not make a killing by moving down. But they likely will be best served by taking what they can get.

Interestingly, replace OL with DL and the same could be said of the team at #30.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:24 am 

Quote:
Our intern, Zach Withers, did an excellent job on this. Here’s what 9 local writers, and 28 national writers, think the Bears will do tonight if they keep the 29th pick.

Mike Mayock from the NFL Network is the only one who has them going wide receiver.

CHICAGO WRITERS
Brad Biggs – Derek Sherrod (OT) Mississippi State
Matt Bowen – Aaron Williams (CB) Texas
David Haugh – Marvin Austin (DT) North Carolina
Vaughn McClure – Brooks Reed (DE) Arizona
Fred Mitchell – Derek Sherrod (OT) Mississippi State
Dan Pompei – Gabe Carimi (OT) Wisconsin
Neil Hayes – Marvin Austin (DT) North Carolina
John “Moon” Mullin – (OG) Baylor
Bob LeGere – Derrek Sherrod (OT) Mississippi

NATIONAL WRITERS/WEBSITES
Shane Zobel (DraftHQ) – Marvin Austin (DT) North Carolina
Rob Rang (CBS.com) – Derek Sherrod (OT) Mississippi State
Chad Reuter (CBS.com) – Derek Sherrod (OT) Mississippi State
Pete King (SI.com) – Derek Sherrod (OT) Mississippi State
Mel Kiper (ESPN.com) – Derek Sherrod (OT) Mississippi State
Todd McShay (ESPN.com) – Danny Watkins (OG) Baylor
Brian Billick (FoxSports.com) – Danny Watkins (OG) Baylor
Mike Mayock (NFL Network) – Jonathan Baldwin (WR) Pittsburgh
Pat Kirwan (NFL.com) – Stephen Paea (DT) Orgeon State
Steve Wyche (NFL.com) – Derek Sherrod (OL) Mississippi State
Bucky Brooks (NFL.com) – Derek Sherrod (OL) Mississippi State
Brain Baldinger (NFL Network) – Marvin Austin (DT) North Carolina
Charles Davis (NFL Network) – Muhammad Wilkerson (DT) Temple
PFW staff (ProFootballWeekly) – Nate Solder (OT) Colorado
Jarrett Bell (USA TODAY) – Muhammad Wilkerson (DL) Temple
Jim Corbett (USA TODAY) – Derek Sherrod (OT) Mississippi State
Nate Davis (USA TODAY) – Marvin Austin (DL) North Carolina
Sean Leahy (USA TODAY) – Derek Sherrod (OT) Mississippi State
Doug Farrar (FBO/Yahoo) – Marvin Austin (DT) North Carolina
Derrek Harper (NFLDraftScout.com) – Nate Solder (OT) Colorado
Rob Rang (NFLDraftScout.com) – Adrian Clayborn (DE) Iowa
DraftCoundown.com – Derek Sherrod (OT) Mississippi State
MyNFLDraft.com – Derek Sherrod (OT) Mississippi State
WalterFootball.com – Marvin Austin (DT) North Carolina
Adam Caplan (FoxSports.com) – Phil Taylor (DT) Baylor
John Crist (Scout.com) – Derek Sherrod (OT) Mississippi State
Pete Schrager (FoxSports.com) – Derek Sherrod (OT) Mississippi State
Brian Galliford (SBNation.com) – Stephen Paea (DT) Oregon State

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/04/28/ ... edicitons/

Frank Coztansa wrote: