It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Billboards vs. Ads
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:00 pm 

No JORR, this isn't about that. You can stop planning your reply.

A lot of people had major problems with the "Fire Lovie" billboards. I believe it was called such things as: "A waste of money", "Meatball", and "Stupid".

However, Tommie Harris today took out full page color ad's in both Chicago newspapers to thank the fans. Besides being a positive vs. negative message what is the difference? Both seem like big wastes of money to me but what do I care what others do with the money they make?

Post subject: Re: Billboards vs. Ads
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Tommie Harris probably has a lot more disposable income than a guy who starts up a Fire Lovie website. Tommie probably has a lot more brains too.

The 'Thank You' ad might be waste of money, but its still a pretty classy thing to do.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
IMO, the billboards are dumb because the people are wasting money thinking they are making a difference. Tommie just did a nice thing. No real ulterior motive, except making fans like him... which really doesn't matter in his new city.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I don't see these things even being comparable. Completely different things.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Both seem like big wastes of money to me but what do I care what others do with the money they make?

Asked and answered. Case closed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

A lot of people had major problems with the "Fire Lovie" billboards. I believe it was called such things as: "A waste of money", "Meatball", and "Stupid".

However, Tommie Harris today took out full page color ad's in both Chicago newspapers to thank the fans. Besides being a positive vs. negative message what is the difference? Both seem like big wastes of money to me but what do I care what others do with the money they make?

A better question would be "what is the similarity?"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Tommie Harris probably has a lot more disposable income than a guy who starts up a Fire Lovie website. Tommie probably has a lot more brains too.

The 'Thank You' ad might be waste of money, but its still a pretty classy thing to do.

Its a nice touch and I think it also makes him more employable with other teams.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:23 am 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
A better question would be "what is the similarity?"
Both are individuals or groups of individuals "wasting money" on something that won't matter and won't change anything. The billboard people were characterized as idiots who were just wasting money, possibly racist, and sad individuals even if they only donated as little as $20 for the cause. The Tommie Harris ad is being praised and no one seems to mention how much of a waste of money it is and how it really means nothing.

In my opinion, this isn't that much different than the Fire Lovie billboard people, except Tommie Harris likely spent significantly more than the entire group did who put up the billboard.

It just amuses me. People were really upset about the billboard for people wasting their own money on something stupid. No one cares Tommie Harris did the same stupid thing.

Last edited by Brick on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I think the difference is the guys who suggested the billboard actually thought it could accomplish something. Harris simply sent what amounted to a love note to the fans. I don't believe he was looking for anything in return.

Of course, we don't know Harris' motivations. Perhaps he thought the ad would put him alongside members of the '85 Bears when it comes to free meals and post-football "work". In that case, you'd be correct.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:33 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think the difference is the guys who suggested the billboard actually thought it could accomplish something. Harris simply sent what amounted to a love note to the fans. I don't believe he was looking for anything in return.
There is no way that Tommie Harris did it without thinking that he would get something out of it. I don't know how much a full page advertisement in each paper costs but I don't think unemployed football players are going to waste that much money for no reason.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
There is no way that Tommie Harris did it without thinking that he would get something out of it. I don't know how much a full page advertisement in each paper costs but I don't think unemployed football players are going to waste that much money for no reason.

It's possible it was just a nice thank you. More likely, it was to endear himself to his new team. I don't have a problem with it personally, and still think it is not really like the billboard thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:26 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Both are individuals or groups of individuals "wasting money" on something that won't matter and won't change anything.

Harris isn't trying to change anything. The billboard people are.

Would a diagram help?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:45 am 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Both are individuals or groups of individuals "wasting money" on something that won't matter and won't change anything.

Harris isn't trying to change anything. The billboard people are.

Would a diagram help?
So you are telling me that Tommie Harris did this for absolutely no reason whatsoever? This was just some random decision he made one day?

Tommie Harris is trying to accomplish something by this. What that is can be debated but he didn't just decide to waste thousands of dollars or more just to do it.

So go ahead and give me the diagram that shows how you are trying to justify in your mind why it was different.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:22 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So you are telling me that Tommie Harris did this for absolutely no reason whatsoever? This was just some random decision he made one day?

Tommie Harris is trying to accomplish something by this. What that is can be debated but he didn't just decide to waste thousands of dollars or more just to do it.

So go ahead and give me the diagram that shows how you are trying to justify in your mind why it was different.

Trying to accomplish something ≠ trying to change something.

Last edited by Dave In Champaign on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:25 am 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
Trying to accomplish something ≠ trying to change something.
So you don't think Tommie Harris was trying to change the mind of fans/executives/media?

Still waiting on the diagram...

So, besides the fact that one was a negative message and the other was positive you still can't give an actual reason why it's different.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:30 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So you don't think Tommie Harris was trying to change the mind of fans/executives/media?

Still waiting on the diagram...

So, besides the fact that one was a negative message and the other was positive you still can't give an actual reason why it's different.

It has nothing to do with positivity or negativity. Harris sought only to convey a message, a goal the ad accomplished simply by existing. The billboard people sought to force changes in the Bears' FO, a goal in which they utterly failed despite expending significantly more time and energy. The ends, the means, and the results are all different.

Forget the diagram. I thought I could pull it off with MS Paint, but at this point even the crayon-and-stick-figure idiom is looking a bit lofty.

Last edited by Dave In Champaign on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

stretch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:36 am 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
It has nothing to do with positivity or negativity. Harris sought only to convey a message, a goal the ad accomplished simply by existing. The billboard people sought to force changes in the Bears' FO, a goal in which they utterly failed despite expending significantly more time and energy. The ends, the means, and the results are all different.
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-bears-fire-lovie-smith/2009/12/fire-lovie-billboard---good-idea-poor-execution.html
That's not true. There was no implied threat or anything. They simply said they should do the right thing and get an ENTIRELY NEW coaching staff.

There was no threat of cancelling season tickets or anything. You are simply making it up that they were trying to force anything. It's the same thing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:20 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:25 pm 

Who mentioned Boers and Bernstein?

I will take that response as "I don't have any actual answer for you, I shouldn't have run my mouth about a diagram". :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Who mentioned Boers and Bernstein?

I will take that response as "I don't have any actual answer for you, I shouldn't have run my mouth about a diagram". :lol:

What kind of diagram were you expecting?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
What kind of diagram were you expecting?
I don't know. I wasn't the one who was offering one.

One that didn't completely make up everything would have been nice though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:41 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't know. I wasn't the one who was offering one.

One that didn't completely make up everything would have been nice though.

I think the diagram speaks for itself, but if it's not enough for you, then I'm afraid I'm going to have to admit defeat. There's no shame in being beaten by the best.

Best of luck to you. Keep fucking that chicken.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:46 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
Keep fucking that chicken.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Beebo wrote:
Its a nice touch and I think it also makes him more employable with other teams.

:shock:
You don't really believe this do you?

NFL Scout: "He can't rush the passer anymore...but damn, he sure is a nice guy!"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:52 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Beebo wrote:

:shock:
You don't really believe this do you?

NFL Scout: "He can't rush the passer anymore...but damn, he sure is a nice guy!"

No explosiveness. Horrible jump on the snap. Bum knee. But dammit if that isn't the nicest sumbitch I've ever seen. Sign him...