It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Draft
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:09 am 

We haven't had too much discussion about the draft here.

I am sold on Marvin Austin, the DT from UNC. I think he fits the Bear system particularly well. I'm not troubled by his impropriety with an agent. If the top 5 OT have been taken by this point, Austin is my guy.

I'd really love for a guy like Watkins, OG from Baylor or Cannon the OG from TCU to make it to the Bears in the second. I doubt Watkins makes it that far but Cannon is a possibility.

That would be an A draft for the first two days. Then they might be able to get someone like Little, WR, UNC in the third. He's a guy with some troubling character issues but is worth the gamble as a big, strong WR.

Post subject: Re: The Draft
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:26 pm 

with the news that Cannon has been diagnosed with lymphoma, I don't think the Bears can wait around and hope a good OL falls to them. I think they have to go with Danny Watkins if all the other OT are taken. They can then look for a DT in the second with someone like Drake Nevis or pray that Paea or Austin falls and maybe move up to grab him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
I predict...that they'll trade their 1st round pick.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:49 pm 

I think they can do that and still get Watkins or maybe even Martez Wilson.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:46 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/sp ... 8911.story

Once again,BEARS Draft Pick up for sale!

Jerry Angelo didn't shy away from talking about the possibility of trading down from the first round of the NFL draft with media last week, and now he's talking about the possibility with other teams.

A high-ranking official from a team selecting in the upper half of the second round told the Tribune Wednesday night that the Chicago Bears have made it known the No. 29 pick could be for sale.

The news does not come as a surprise given Angelo’s history and the fact that the Bears have only six picks in the draft.

The Bears are seeking help at a number of positions, including along the offensive line and at defensive tackle. They could also use some new talent at cornerback and wide receiver.

"Trading down is easier to do and if there's enough players on the board when it's our pick, and it makes sense, then it's something that we would consider very seriously as what we've done in the past,” Angelo said last week.

The Bears have been in a similar position before. They held the 26th overall pick in 2006 and traded it to the Buffalo Bills on draft day in exchange for second- and third-round picks that were No. 42 (Danieal Manning) and No. 73 (Dusty Dvoracek), respectively.

The team executive, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, represents picks before No. 42.

When the Bears had the 31st overall pick in 2007 they stayed put, selecting tight end Greg Olsen. It's hard to say exactly what price Angelo would seek for the 29th pick, but it’s probably similar to the package he got from the Bills. In the event the Bears do trade No. 29 to a team that picks before No. 42, they might have to send that team another late-round pick to secure second- and third-round picks.

Keep in mind the Bears could face competition from other teams selecting near the end of the first round who are also looking to bail out of their selection. The Tribune’s Dan Pompei reported the Bears would look to deal the pick three weeks ago.

"Once we've cemented how many players we would take at 29, that would be the barometer of how far we'll trade down,” Angelo said. "There's a little math involved with it. It's not scientific, obviously. And then you know we also have to look at the needs of those teams behind us. And you know we don't want to go down and then find out we're not really crazy about the guy we're getting. That doesn't make sense either, and then you're just collecting picks. That's not the theme of the draft is to collect draft picks. You have to feel good about that player you're going to trade down or you don't do it.”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:52 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Still a little gun shy from all the first round busts?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Still a little gun shy from all the first round busts?

It's so obvious yet this guy is still the GM. He had had much better luck with free agents though,but the Bears are built like a house of cards right now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:18 am 

It does seem pretty obvious that JA is afraid of the draft. He runs every draft like he is frightened; overdrafting players out of fear they will not be there later, trading down to avoid big mistakes, picking up additional lower picks in the hopes that one might be decent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:39 am 
1000 CLUB

Kiper put his final projections. He has the Bears taking the offensive tackle from Mississippi State. Just heard that in passing on "Mike and Mike" today. I don't even know his name.

That's just cuz Kiper has to put out picks without thinking of trades. Most likley they will trade down.