It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Nathan Enderle QB Idaho

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:16 pm 

Draft guy over the last few years: JA sucks because he never takes a QB in the draft.

Draft guy today: JA sucks because he took a QB in the 5th round.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:18 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Draft guy over the last few years: JA sucks because he never takes a QB in the draft.

Draft guy today: JA sucks because he took a QB in the 5th round.

JA has taken a QB in the 5th round two years in a row and got Hanie off as a undrafted free agent three years ago. THE BEARS DON'T NEED ANOTHER QB!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:19 pm 

AND JA traded four picks for Cutler.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:21 pm 

I'm fine with the pick as long as this guy actually makes the team unlike last year. Hopefully this means that we don't get a bad veteran backup.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:21 pm 

I ain't saying the Bears need another QB. My point is no matter what Angelo does there are going to be idiots on here who bash him for it. If he chose a OL here someone would bitch it should be a WR. If he chose a LB here someone would bitch it should be a DL. If he chose a DL here someone would bitch it should be an OL.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I don't have a problem with the positional focus of his picks. I have a problem with the quality of his picks. Who is the best player he has drafted in the past five years? Devin Hester?? Ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:38 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Who is the best player he has drafted in the past five years? Devin Hester?? Ugh.
Kyle Orton.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Who is the best player he has drafted in the past five years? Devin Hester?? Ugh.
Kyle Orton.

+18

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:48 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
I don't have a problem with the positional focus of his picks. I have a problem with the quality of his picks. Who is the best player he has drafted in the past five years? Devin Hester?? Ugh.

Matt Forte

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
RFDC wrote:
I ain't saying the Bears need another QB. My point is no matter what Angelo does there are going to be idiots on here who bash him for it. If he chose a OL here someone would bitch it should be a WR. If he chose a LB here someone would bitch it should be a DL. If he chose a DL here someone would bitch it should be an OL.

You do realize that Jerry Angelo is the very reason for this predicament?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:51 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
RFDC wrote:

You do realize that Jerry Angelo is the very reason for this predicament?

No I am pretty confident it would be taking place regardless of who was in Angelo's seat.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
RFDC wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Matt Forte

Ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:00 pm 

RFDC wrote:
No I am pretty confident it would be taking place regardless of who was in Angelo's seat.

I disagree.

If the Bears had a GM who hasn't whiffed on drafting competent WR's, O-lineman, D-lineman, QB's etc. fans might cut him a little more slack. Sure some picks end up starting and that's because of the poor talent evaluation on the rest of the roster. He either ends up having to sell the farm for a capable QB or breaks the bank to sign a Peppers to make up for the draft failures. And this team isn't getting any younger.

He wouldn't be a GM for any other NFL major market team. He's football Hendry.

Hopefully Ruskell can do a better job. He's the next GM if he isn't making the decisions already.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:05 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
He wouldn't be a GM for any other NFL major market team.

This is one of those things that is easy to say and all, but you have no way of knowing this.

He has been the GM of a team that has two division titles and played in a superbowl.

I am not a big fan of Angelo, and if he was gone tomorrow I would not shed any tears, but some of the things said around here about him are just dumb. A lot of GMs would like to have 2 division titles and playing a superbowl on their resume.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:20 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
He wouldn't be a GM for any other NFL major market team.

This is one of those things that is easy to say and all, but you have no way of knowing this.

He has been the GM of a team that has two division titles and played in a superbowl.

I am not a big fan of Angelo, and if he was gone tomorrow I would not shed any tears, but some of the things said around here about him are just dumb. A lot of GMs would like to have 2 division titles and playing a superbowl on their resume.

You're right I have no way of knowing this but I'm pretty comfortable saying it.

I can't see any scenario in which the Jets, Patriots, Giants hell even the Packers would hire Jerry Angelo as a GM. The reason Jerry still has a job is because he works for a mom and pop shop and he's not one to make waves. I bet Virginia likes him, just like Lovie. Phillips, Lovie and Angelo have a very nice ass-covering contract situation going with a compliant ownership who aren't real big on paying off coaches or GM's.

And playing in a Super Bowl and 2 division titles and he was hired in 2001? Is that something to be admired?

That's almost a Cub-like way of justifying Angelo's performance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:29 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
I can't see any scenario in which the Jets, Patriots, Giants hell even the Packers would hire Jerry Angelo as a GM.

Maybe those teams wouldn't hire him, but you realize there are a lot of other teams and a lot of idiots running teams. So I don't think there is any way it can be said that he wouldn't get a job with another team.

Look at it this way. Vinney Del Negro was a BRUTAL coach for the Bulls. And when he was done people said there was no way he would ever coach again in the league. Yet what happened? The Clippers hired him.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
Agreed. Without knowing what the other teams have you can't make statements like that. I think Jerry is too conservative. He doesn't take many chances with his picks.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: home run inn
5 29(160) Nathan Enderle QB Idaho
He is a strong-armed QB with a good frame, but he's statuesque and has a hard time side stepping pressure. He also has to quicken his release. He is more of an old school QB adjusting to the new game. from espn :shock: :shock: :drunken:

Nice Guys Finish Last

Thank you,and have a nice day !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:10 pm 

HOVA wrote:
Agreed. Without knowing what the other teams have you can't make statements like that. I think Jerry is too conservative. He doesn't take many chances with his picks.

I hope that is sarcastic. All Jerry does is take chances. Most of his picks are long shots. No one forms an NFL roster with players from Div III Abilene Christian --- except Jerry.

If he was conservative, he would pick the consensus best players at the positions he needs when it is time to pick. If the value wasn't there, he would trade down and get extra picks. Instead he rolls the dice with questionable picks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:11 pm 

kujoe_7 wrote:
He is a strong-armed QB with a good frame, but he's statuesque and has a hard time side stepping pressure. He also has to quicken his release. He is more of an old school QB adjusting to the new game. from espn :shock: :shock: :drunken:

Sounds like a dead man behind the Bears OL.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
Jerry relies on his scouting. In the later rounds it has usually been fairly good. I'm talking about the early rounds. He appears unwilling to trade up and get a guy that he likes. Instead he'll trade down instead of taking the money risk associated with trading up.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:34 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Can I bitch that he drafted a QB, apparently liked him in training camp and then lost him while trying to hide him on the practice squad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:42 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Look at it this way. Vinney Del Negro was a BRUTAL coach for the Bulls. And when he was done people said there was no way he would ever coach again in the league. Yet what happened? The Clippers hired him.

Absolutely correct.

And the Clippers have been one of the worst run franchises in the NBA for as long as I can remember.

That would be the sort of team that would hire a Jerry Angelo/Vinny Del Negro.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
kujoe_7 wrote:

Doesn't make alot of sense given the needs at other positions. Pretty stupid.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:52 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Can I bitch that he drafted a QB, apparently liked him in training camp and then lost him while trying to hide him on the practice squad.

I believe that was the pick when Greg Gabriel was on the phone with James Starks telling him the Bears were picking him and Genius Jerry came in and said change of plans we're going with LeFevour.

Sorry to criticize again. Jerry gives one a lot of ammo to work with.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I would say its kind of a stupid pick because there are needs on this team and there were not that many picks. When you have 8 or 9 picks in a draft then you can do this, but when you are only dealing with 5 or 6 you should take care of your pressing needs rather than developing a backup. You can get backup qb's as UFA's.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:13 pm 

and none of us have even mentioned that Martz wouldn't accept him as a backup even if he came into camp and set the world on fire.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
good dolphin wrote:
and none of us have even mentioned that Martz wouldn't accept him as a backup even if he came into camp and set the world on fire.

I swear I read a story a few weeks ago about how Martz was pining for some unknown qb to get drafted and become the backup.