It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:04 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... 786.column

Usually when Bears kicker Robbie Gould makes news with his foot it's not for sticking it in his mouth.

Yet there's no better way to describe what Gould did last week in summarizing the NFL lockout to the Tribune.

"Look, fans don't buy tickets to see Virginia or Brian McCaskey. They pay to watch Brian Urlacher, Drew Brees and all the great players,'' Gould said. "This lockout is all because of the owners' greed. I'm sorry if that sounds cold, but it is the truth."

I'm not here to debate whether Gould was right about the NFL labor dispute. I want to say he was wrong to invoke Virginia McCaskey's name so disrespectfully.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out our crossword, sudoku and Jumble puzzles >>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are ways to make a point about NFL owners' greed without disparaging the 88-year-old daughter of league/franchise founder George Halas, the matriarch of the team that signed Gould in 2005 when he was working construction.

This wasn't fellow owner Steve Bisciotti of the Ravens expressing disappointment at the McCaskeys collectively over the Bears' draft snafu. This was a member of the Bears family glibly singling out the NFL's grand dame in an irreverent tone.

Gould could have said, "Look, fans don't buy tickets to see owners,'' without casting Mrs. McCaskey as the face of greed. A Pro Bowl-caliber kicker signed through 2013 is too good for the Bears to cut over insensitivity. They could fine Gould, though I doubt they will. But the minute the lockout ends, somebody in ownership needs to give Gould a lesson in NFL history and etiquette.

By today's anything-goes standards, what Gould said falls short of offensive to many. But a Bears player criticizing Virginia McCaskey is like a baseball manager arguing balls and strikes. You're wrong the moment you begin to speak, whatever you say.

McCaskey wants no part of the public aspect of a job she inherited and nobody knows that better than Bears employees.

I called Gould to see if he regretted escalating lockout rhetoric to include a woman considered off limits for a long time.

"First of all, I didn't invoke anybody and second, I don't regret anything I said,'' Gould said. "It was not a poke at Virginia, it was not a poke at Brian McCaskey. I was just simply saying no fans turn on TV to watch Virginia McCaskey, Brian McCaskey, the Richardson family, Jerry Jones or any owner. They pay to see the players put out a product.''

The Bears found answers at different positions during the NFL draft. I wonder how many people in the front office privately question their kicker for reasons unrelated to football.

The team chose not to respond when asked about Gould's comments but sources confirm they neither were ignored nor appreciated at Halas Hall. Coach Lovie Smith typically downplayed any potential rift.

"Robbie Gould is the player rep so he has to be in that role,'' Smith said.

Perhaps, but in the unwritten rulebook for Bears players, showing Mrs. McCaskey unconditional respect is on Page 1. Right or wrong, the Bears organization probably would forgive players who run afoul of the law quicker than those who run their mouths about Mrs. McCaskey. Everybody from groundskeepers to reporters knows where that line is.

If Gould has built up as much organizational equity as he says, he should know too.

"They know I am a professional and that I've done a lot for the organization, whether it's public speaking or charity or signing autographs for their charity work,'' Gould said. "I didn't downgrade anything the McCaskeys have done. I just said the McCaskeys, along with the rest of the owners, are greedy and that's why we're in a lockout.''

In Gould's job as Bears player representative before and after the lockout, he talks, texts and tweets a lot. He gets most passionate attacking the greed of owners. There may come a day that Gould needs those greedy McCaskeys, who have long memories. Did Gould just lose the benefit of their doubt? That $15.4 million contract the McCaskeys wrote Gould in 2008 won't last forever.

"It was not that I was trying to take a shot at Virginia McCaskey by any means,'' Gould said. "(But) she's my owner. The McCaskey family is my owner. They locked me out. They chose to make me unemployed, to allow me to pay for my own health insurance. They chose for me to take this path.''

Gould needs to choose his words with more care. As a players rep, he can't show a jarring lack of empathy for teammates who might not have saved as wisely as he did for the lockout when he said, "The guys who didn't plan for it, that's their fault." As a guy who might not be a millionaire without the Bears giving him an opportunity six years ago, he can't come off so ungrateful carrying out an anti-owner agenda.

I asked Gould if he will apologize to Mrs. McCaskey whenever football resumes.

"I don't feel I owe an apology to anyone because I don't find it to be a subject where I crossed a line to say anything derogatory,'' Gould said. "I simply said the reason we are in this situation is the owners are greedy and the McCaskeys are my owners. If people are going to be upset about it, I'll handle the criticism. I didn't say anything that was wrong.''

That didn't sound like a guy known for his accuracy.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:28 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli

Seems like David's looking for a reason to be outraged.

If Robbie wanted even more support, he could have invoked the name of the almighty Virginia in the context of the demise of the Honeybears....

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
The truth hurts. I guess Virginia should not be criticized because she's the 88 year old matriarch.

What a joke. And Gould's comments are part of "today's anything-goes standards"? Sounds like Haugh is grooming himself for Telander's retirement.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:33 am 

I agree with other posts in this thread. Haugh looks like a dick here...and I like that Gould stands by his comments, which are nothing really, and doesn't try to sugar coat anything.

FU Haugh!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:04 am 

gould is going to get the boot , just like alex brown got for speaking his mind two years ago

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:09 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Slow/no news day. You know, with a requirement to produce yay ton of columns, and nothing to write about, in terms of games played, you're going to see a lot of crap from the likes of Haugh, Telander, ad nauseum. It'd be better to let some of them review movies for awhile.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
immessedup17 wrote:
I can't get the Sudoku to work.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:48 pm 

I really don't understand how these player reps get all worked up. They are largely irrelevant to the process but can cause damage to their careers with incendiary language

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
i don't know that gould was "all worked up" i think he was just voicing his and most of his teammates opinions..and i agree with him.if gould was cut he would find a job easy..he has nothing to fear
"

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
312player wrote:
i don't know that gould was "all worked up" i think he was just voicing his and most of his teammates opinions..and i agree with him.if gould was cut he would find a job easy..he has nothing to fear
"

He will be diagnosed with a career ending concussion the first day he is allowed to report to the team.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:09 pm 

the best thing that could happen to the franchise is virginia dies tonight..the family is forced to sell the team and we get some qualified savvy ownership and a huge house cleaning.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
312player wrote:
the best thing that could happen to the franchise is virginia dies tonight..the family is forced to sell the team and we get some qualified savvy ownership and a huge house cleaning.

For the better part of twenty years I longed for new ownership of the Cub. How's that gone for me?

312, it's bad karma to wish for anyone to expire, don't you think?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:46 pm 

i imagine it is bad karma to wish death on someone, whether it be a serial rapist or osama bin laden or virginia mccaskey. that being said,this franchise will be better off when she dies and is sold. and nobody lives forever..she is like 90 doubt she sees 94

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:17 pm 

312player wrote:
"

same as Hunter Hillenmeyer...when he was indespensible the wouldn't cut him, when his skills diminished slightly they served up their revenge and let the world know of medical problems just so he could be red flagged across the league

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Haugh's next column will be about why the Hawks didn't keep Anti Niemi.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Does David Haugh work for the Trib or for the Bears?

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:06 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
312player wrote:
"

same as Hunter Hillenmeyer...when he was indespensible the wouldn't cut him, when his skills diminished slightly they served up their revenge and let the world know of medical problems just so he could be red flagged across the league

Hillenmeyer had a severe concussion that put him on the IR.
Being put on the IR isn't something a team can hide.
I don't stick up for Bear's management in most cases, but to say they "red flagged" HH isn't the truth.

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:54 am 

312player wrote:
"

on a team that needed a kicker from 47 yards and in only.......hes accurate short ,but short on long remember paul edinger???????????? when minny picked him up?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 am 

312player wrote:
[color=#BF0080]i imagine it is bad karma to wish death on someone, whether it be a serial rapist or osama bin laden [/color]or virginia mccaskey. that being said,this franchise will be better off when she dies and is sold. and nobody lives forever..she is like 90 doubt she sees 94

did you know something that no one else did? SAVANT

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 am 

Fans don't pay money to see Robbie Gould either.

Here is the problem with his thinking. Let's say that Brian Urlacher gets tired of football and retires today. Does anyone stop watching football? Does anyone stop being a Bears fan? Of course not.

Now, let's say Virginia decides that Robbie Goulds comments were too hurtful to continue and she folds the Bears. Does anyone stop watching football? Yes, just like when cities lose a team. Does anyone stop being a Bears fan? Yes, pretty much everyone does.

Realistically, with free agency and the draft that limits the choice of players we really only root for owners. They are the only constant. Brian Urlacher could very well have been very sad to be a Bear when he was drafted. He was forced to play here. When he retires, he'll leave and have very little association with the Bears unless he's got management potential.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:45 am 

i think gould is good from 52 and in, and i have no doubt he finds a job quickly if the bears released him. if virginis shut the team down..a new team would replace it and that team would be called the chicago bears..the city has the naming rights i believe, would just have a new owner and run better..i would gladly lose this season of bears football if it meant new ownership next season.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:48 am 

I would love to see Gould on the Cowboys. Take that consistency & accuracy from 47 yards in any day!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:54 am 

312player wrote:
i think gould is good from 52 and in, and i have no doubt he finds a job quickly if the bears released him. if virginis shut the team down..a new team would replace it and that team would be called the chicago bears..the city has the naming rights i believe, would just have a new owner and run better..i would gladly lose this season of bears football if it meant new ownership next season.
Sounds like you just helped prove my point that a single player matters much less than an owner.

I also doubt the city owns the name of the Bears. The Bears would likely need to give up the rights to it.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:59 am 

not sure what your point is.. people pay money to watch the players perform..nobody gives a damn about the owners

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:04 pm 

312player wrote:
not sure what your point is.. people pay money to watch the players perform..nobody gives a damn about the owners
My point is exactly what I said. No one will stop being a Bears fan if the most popular player on the team retires today. Many people will never be a fan of the Bears again if they fold the team or move to Norfolk,VA.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:07 pm 

chicago is a major market and will always have a team..i wish we had 2

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:12 pm 

312player wrote:
chicago is a major market and will always have a team..i wish we had 2
That's fine, but the Bears have a 90 year history in Chicago and will likely be here another 90 years, with the same family likely owning it for those 180 years. That supercedes any player and is more important than any of them.

Players come and go every year. Owners don't very often.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:25 pm 

ahhh that is where you are wrong..the mccaskeys do not have the bankroll other owners have..when virginia dies the family will have to pay the "death tax" her retarded kids have one source of income the bears...they will not be able to pay uncle sam and keep the team..virginia dies and the team gets sold

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
312player wrote:
ahhh that is where you are wrong..the mccaskeys do not have the bankroll other owners have..when virginia dies the family will have to pay the "death tax" her retarded kids have one source of income the bears...they will not be able to pay uncle sam and keep the team..virginia dies and the team gets sold

Um, no.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:39 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
This whole doomsday (well, doomsday for someone) scenario of the McCaskeys having to sell their shares because no one will have majority ownership anymore is overstated. I'm sure that the NFL will make an exemption regarding ownership rules so that the McCaskey kids can continue to own their Bears shares without one having majority ownership. I mean, geez, they made an exemption so that Stan Kroenke could own the Rams while owning the Nuggets and Avalanche. They aren't going to make life difficult for Halas's grandkids.

That said, this whole YOU NEVER TALK BAD ABOUT SWEET OLD VIRGINIA MCCASKEY thing is such bullshit. You know what I call the decrepit owner of a once-proud organization severely devalued by idiotic management within and above football operations, cheap hires at every turn, and a dumpy stadium? Al Davis.