It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:44 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Forte is in the last year of his rookie contract and is scheduled to receive 555K this year.

I completely support his holdout, if he does. We all know that his market value is much, much more than 555 K.

We also know he would be cut or be asked to renegotiate if he was a 2nd string running back making 4 million dollars per year. So why shouldn't his contract be renegotiaged or extended if he has outplayed his draft position? This is not about honoring a contract. NFL teams don't honor their contracts so why should the players? How say you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
He's nothing special. I don't think he knows that. I think Martz does, however.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Even with the new agreement, I would always hold out in the NFL. It didn't change much. The next play could be your last. All guaranteed money is up front. Do it Matt. But I need you to run/catch for 2500 afterwards. :D

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:27 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I don't think he should holdout. The Bears have acknowledged they need to do something with him and will soon.

If was really smart he woulds report and if things dont go well, then sit out before game 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
bigfan wrote:
I don't think he should holdout. The Bears have acknowledged they need to do something with him and will soon.

If was really smart he woulds report and if things dont go well, then sit out before game 1

When has a player come to camp, participated in everything, but held out before game one?

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:50 am 

Still don't understand the love for this guy. Goes well beyond not getting carries early last year. The carries he did get were pathetic, and not because of poor blocking. He looked totally not interested and was running with no authority. I thought he was done.

But to his credit, he came back like a man possessed. And overall the night and day season last year leaves more questions in my mind. Maybe just a slow starter, I dont know. Still hate his running style.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:21 am 

DAC wrote:
Forte is in the last year of his rookie contract and is scheduled to receive 555K this year.

I completely support his holdout, if he does. We all know that his market value is much, much more than 555 K.

We also know he would be cut or be asked to renegotiate if he was a 2nd string running back making 4 million dollars per year. So why shouldn't his contract be renegotiaged or extended if he has outplayed his draft position? This is not about honoring a contract. NFL teams don't honor their contracts so why should the players? How say you?

I believe the system is perfect.

If a player is special enough, a holdout will work. If he's not, it wont.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:46 am 

I believe he deserves a raise. I don't believe he's a top 5 running back as the numbers suggest.

I know he's a receiving threat but let me point out that Forte has a total of 8 one hundred yard rushing games in his career and three of those came against Detroit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I believe he deserves a raise. I don't believe he's a top 5 running back as the numbers suggest.

I know he's a receiving threat but let me point out that Forte has a total of 8 one hundred yard rushing games in his career and three of those came against Detroit.

Good points. I'd toss him some guaranteed money and give him another 3 years, hopefully no
more than 4. You never know about these RB's they get ground up more and more each year.
Love his hands out of the backfield and if we can get some improved line play we may see a
little something.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Not anymore, their DL is going to be a beast.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
rogers park bryan wrote:
DAC wrote:

I believe the system is perfect.

If a player is special enough, a holdout will work. If he's not, it wont.

hmmmm- I never really thought of it that way. But the system does put the player at a disadvantage since holdouts are usually unpopular even if warranted and the fines are substantial. Teams never receive any flak if they cut an underperformer or force someone to renegotiate.

I think Forte is an average starting running back but he is still underpaid. I think a 3-year extension with a nice guaranteed chunk upfront would be good for both sides.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: ------
Mr. Reason wrote:

He should be making more then Chester Taylor at least and he's not. I can see why he would threaten a hold out.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: *
Phil McCracken wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:

He should be making more then Chester Taylor at least and he's not. I can see why he would threaten a hold out.

Pay that man his money

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:46 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Phil McCracken wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:

You should be making more than Chester Taylor. What the hell happened to him?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Matt Forte IS the Bears' offense, or a big chunk of it. There's no question that Forte deserves a significant pay increase, but holding out as he has threatened to do isn't a smart idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:13 am 

SHARK, i hear that part of the reason for Forte's hold out is that he wants to wear #34 next year for the Bears.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
SHARK wrote:
Matt Forte IS the Bears' offense, or a big chunk of it. There's no question that Forte deserves a significant pay increase, but holding out as he has threatened to do isn't a smart idea.

It is a good idea for the exact reason in your post above. He's a huge part of the offense. One play and his career could be over and he certainly hasn't made enough to live out his days.

He'll hold out, the Bears will pay him as they should and we'll all be fine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
i hope the bears act like a smart professional football team and tell forte no new deal, forte is nothing special and backs are a dime a dozen. like i said when urlacher threatened to hold out..do not re up this guy..the new agreement calls for a 30k dollar a day fine for any hold out..forte will come to camp regardless of a new deal or not. in my opinion never spend big money on a back.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
312player wrote:
i hope the bears act like a smart professional football team and tell forte no new deal, forte is nothing special and backs are a dime a dozen. like i said when urlacher threatened to hold out..do not re up this guy..the new agreement calls for a 30k dollar a day fine for any hold out..forte will come to camp regardless of a new deal or not. in my opinion never spend big money on a back.

Truth be told, you bring up a very valid point. NFL running backs don't last that long. Ask Terrell Davis, not to mention Gale Sayers. Both of these backs' careers were cut short due to injury.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:08 pm 

312player wrote:

Yeah they could just resign Whoopi Goldberg because he was really making the chains move when he was out there.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Matt Forte is just a guy. He is an average RB at the easiest position to fill in the NFL. The Bears don't need to over compensate Forte.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:13 pm 

Bring back Garrett Wolfe!

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:14 pm 

Who has said anything about over compensating? Chester Taylor makes more than him. He's better than Chester Taylor.

In Teddy KGB fashion, pay him, pay that man his money.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:15 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:

Dat guy tried real hard. He wuzznt da biggest guy but he had da fire and da pashin.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Phil McCracken wrote:

I believe there is a rule that prevents more than 1 NIU alumn on any NFL roster. SAM HURD!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:17 pm 

Northside_Dan wrote:

I liked it better when Ajent made the joke. :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:18 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:

I liked it better when Ajent made the joke. :P

That's what I get for skimming.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:32 pm 

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/28551/have-at-it-judging-matt-forte-and-adrian-peterson

For all the Forte haters in the house

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:34 pm 

The numbers are there, but he is also the focus of the offense. You have to pay the guy, but I still question what happened last year with him being a night and day runner in the first and second half of the year. Part of that could be line cohesion and changes that Tice made, but he looked totally uninterested and was not running with authority. I had enough of him diving to the ground after someone swiped his trailing leg. And then he became a force in the second half of the season. So I don't know what to think.

Ultimately I don't want to see a five year deal with the miles he already has racked up.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:06 am 

pizza_Place: ***
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Updated: July 29, 2011, 9:02 PM ET
Matt Forte in camp with hope of deal

By Jeff Dickerson and Michael Wright
ESPNChicago.com

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Matt Forte arrived at the Chicago Bears camp on Friday with a clear message from Bears general manager Jerry Angelo.

"He told me a deal will get done," Forte said Friday evening. "He said I'm a priority of his. What that means, hopefully that means soon. I mean, there's no telling with them. But to me priority means soon."

Can't get enough Bears information? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest on the Monsters of the Midway. Blog

Entering the final year of his rookie contract, Forte has made no secret about his desire to sign a long-term extension with the Bears. Earlier in the week, when talks appeared to be progressing at a slow rate, the running back contemplated a training camp holdout. But the running back reported to Bears camp Friday morning with the understanding a new contract was in the works.

"It [holding out] was a consideration," Forte said. "I had to weigh my options and stuff. I thought about it. But like I said before, it never benefits a player or a team for somebody to hold out. I kind of got my mind put to ease by Jerry, he had been in talks with my agent since the end of the lockout and even before that. He kind of said a deal would get done. He assured us repeatedly a deal will get done. Where I'm from and how I was raised, when somebody gives you their word, that goes a long way."

Since entering the NFL in 2008 as a second-round pick out of Tulane, Forte ranks fifth in the NFL in yards from scrimmage (4,731), behind Chris Johnson, Minnesota's Adrian Peterson, Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew and St. Louis' Steven Jackson.

Add in Forte's 294 yards from the 2010 postseason, and Forte ranks fourth among all active running backs over the past three years in yards from scrimmage (5,025) behind Peterson (5,643), Johnson (5,606) and Baltimore's Ray Rice (5,038).

Yet Forte is scheduled to earn $550,000 in base salary in the final year of his rookie contract, while his primary backup, Chester Taylor, pocketed $7 million in 2010 in the first year of a $12.5 million contract, and is set earn $1.25 million in 2011.

Forte ranks seventh in franchise history in career rushing yards (3,236), and last season became the first player in Bears history to gain at least 1,400 yards from scrimmage in each of his first three seasons.

So, realistically, the statistics indicate Forte has outperformed his rookie contract. Of the 2008 draft class of running backs, only Johnson and Rice have more yards from scrimmage than Forte, and only Johnson has scored more touchdowns (38 to Forte's 25). Yet as valuable as he's proven to be, Forte simply isn't an immediate priority for a team looking to bolster a weak offensive line and sign its own free agents and draft picks, in addition to filling various holes in the roster.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/ ... -deal-soon

Things like this are why people hate football statistics and the people who tout them.