It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J'Marcus lining up at LT
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:56 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/news ... 2442.story

BOURBONNAIS — With the upheaval on the interior of the offensive line, the Bears made the decision not to wait any longer to set their tackles.

J'Marcus Webb lined up at left tackle throughout Monday's night practice with first-round draft pick Gabe Carimi now playing right tackle with the first team. Carimi got his first experience in a padded practice and held his own in one-on-one pass-rush drills.

"It felt good," Carimi said. "There is some stuff to clean up but just watch the film and I should be able to do that."

What did he do when he saw Julius Peppers across from him on the first snap?

"I was just trying to focus on what the play was," Carimi said.

The tackle decision was made after a meeting between coach Lovie Smith, offensive coordinator Mike Martz, line coach Mike Tice and even defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.

"I evaluated both kids all offseason by film and I think I have a great familiarity with those kids," Tice said. "I feel athletically Webb is more suited to be over there, although they both want to play on the left side. I wanted to give them two days in shorts to look at movement skills. I don't want to play games like we did last season."

New center Chris Spencer will work with the second team starting Thursday, but because he has spent his entire career in a West Coast offense, the language and terminology the Bears use is totally different, creating a steeper learning curve. When Spencer is ready, he'll compete with Roberto Garza for the center job. If Spencer wins it, Garza will move back to right guard and Lance Louis would then potentially battle Chris Williams for the left guard job.

Down to business: Adisa Bakari, the agent for running back Matt Forte, arrived Monday for face-to-face negotiations on a new contract. Bakari negotiated a $30.95 million, four-year extension for the Jaguars' Maurice Jones-Drew two years ago. That deal included $17.5 million guaranteed, but it didn't come together instantly. Surely, they have similar numbers — and a little inflation — in mind for Forte.

Extra points: Punter Richmond McGee and defensive tackle Sean Murnane were waived. Former punter Brad Maynard agreed to a one-year deal with the Texans and will compete with Brett Hartmann , an undrafted free agent from Central Michigan, for the job. … Defensive tackle Marcus Harrison missed his third day as he works to get in condition. … Agent Mark Bartelstein said not to rule out Olin Kreutz signing with another team.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:57 pm 

I think the Bears thinking on this is throw the biggest ass in the most important position and hope it takes that much longer to run around him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
Webb is an athlete too. I think it's the right move.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:23 pm 

HOVA wrote:
Webb is an athlete too. I think it's the right move.

I wish he had some competition. Looks like Carini is off to a flying start. Already moving to the right side. Every OL Angelo drafts seems to go to the right side.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I really hate when someone tells me this kid played at West Texas State and he can't be good.

Fact is he was a parade all american in HS and played at Texas, but left due to academic issues.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Norridge, IL
I like putting Webb there right away, if both Webb and Carimi work out they are set at tackle for a while, imagine if they got williams to be slightly above average at guard as well, they would have a nice young offensive lin moving forward

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
the problem is williams..i do not think cris williams is a starter in the nfl...backup maybe but no way a starter..webb at left tackle or right is fine..i think carini is the future left tackle and would try him there now