It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: John Fox
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Nas wrote:
Fox hasn't done anything over the past 3 years that leads me to believe he is the right guy for this Bears team.
I'd say coaching in the Super Bowl less than one calendar year ago is a good thing.

He took over a 1-15 Carolina team and had them in the Super Bowl two seasons later. That Carolina team had started the year 1-0 then dropped the rest of the games that season. They were the second team in the NFL history to lost 15 in a row.

That Panthers team was young and very talented. He had perfect timing.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Quote:
Vic LombardiVerified account ‏@VicLombardi
Great stat from @IAOFM this morning. And, ultimately, a big reason a change was made. As Broncos coach, Fox 1-7 against Patriots & Seahawks.

If people were pissed about Lovie being a bumslayer...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Nobody should care about them playing the Patriots unless its the playoffs. The Division record is what matters most.

Goober himself could be considered a bumslayer. Nine times he has been 1-and-done in the playoffs. Most by far in the Super Bowl era. There could be a good argument made that if Lovie doesn't abandon the run and Rex hold onto the football, Peyton doesn't even get the one ring he has.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen Home Run Inn Pizza
Nas wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Nas wrote:
Fox hasn't done anything over the past 3 years that leads me to believe he is the right guy for this Bears team.
I'd say coaching in the Super Bowl less than one calendar year ago is a good thing.

He took over a 1-15 Carolina team and had them in the Super Bowl two seasons later. That Carolina team had started the year 1-0 then dropped the rest of the games that season. They were the second team in the NFL history to lost 15 in a row.

That's not an argument. They were young and talented? What super bowl team isn't talented? He got a team Quarterbacked by Jake Delhomme to the super bowl and lost to a dynasty and one of the best QB's ever and you act like it was nothing at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:02 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:
Vic LombardiVerified account ‏@VicLombardi
Great stat from @IAOFM this morning. And, ultimately, a big reason a change was made. As Broncos coach, Fox 1-7 against Patriots & Seahawks.

If people were pissed about Lovie being a bumslayer...

nobody in denver is upset fox left.

this is like tampa being excited to get lovie.

now we are tampa. we hired a guy that had success but will come here and be shit. and we are excited about it.

way to go bears.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

Powerhouse233 wrote:
Nas wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Nas wrote:

That's not an argument. They were young and talented? What super bowl team isn't talented? He got a team Quarterbacked by Jake Delhomme to the super bowl and lost to a dynasty and one of the best QB's ever and you act like it was nothing at all.

Delhomme wasn't a terrible QB. I don't give him credit for turning that team around. I believe any competent coach would have been successful. That draft they had the year he arrived was a home run. Everything was in place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:14 pm 

The year they went to the Super Bowl Delhomme had 19 touch downs and 16 interceptions and a completion percentage under 60 percent and he had no previous success as an NFL starting QB before that year. Everything wasn't in place. They had an inexperienced and limited QB yet they were able to make it to the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

They had great defensive talent and great talent at WR. Their RB was really good and their QB was competent. That's good enough to win with in any era. Belichick has been successful despite not having most of that the last 4 or 5 seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

Yep. They were so talented that over 2/3 of their starters in 2001 were gone by that Super Bowl year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:25 pm 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Yep. They were so talented that over 2/3 of their starters in 2001 were gone by that Super Bowl year.

Really? You're struggling here. The overwhelming majority of all the elite players were already on the roster. This is a fact.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:27 pm 

Nas wrote:
They had great defensive talent and great talent at WR. Their RB was really good and their QB was competent. That's good enough to win with in any era. Belichick has been successful despite not having most of that the last 4 or 5 seasons.

They had a sub par, unproven QB, Steve Smith had never cracked 1,000 yards before that season so he was unproven as well and Muhammad was a good possession receiver who had one enormous year in his career (2004, the year after the super bowl). Fox seems to get the most out of his players' talent. Muhammad had by far his biggest season under Fox, Steve Smith realized his potential with Fox as head coach and he got every ounce of ability out of Delhomme.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Nas wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
John Fox is a great hire. Who is a better alternative? He's an experienced head coach with credibility who has been successful. If he brings Kyle Shanahan or Peyton Manning with him, its an even better hire. I also think that he has enough red ass in him to not let Teddy or anyone else push him around or tell him what to do.

He was 81-79 before Peyton Manning arrived.

I still like the hire. Bears get a real NFL football coach and a GM that will hopefully be able to work well in sync together.

Fox didn't always have the most talented teams in Carolina and still managed to put together some good seasons. Not sure what his input was on drafting and so on in Carolina, but if Pace can hand him some real NFL football players, I'm confident that Fox can coach them up and win with them.

Those coordinators in Seattle are nobody's without Pete Carrol, and I'm willing to bet they aren't NFL HC's for long after leaving Petey's nest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

Powerhouse233 wrote:
Nas wrote:

They had a sub par, unproven QB, Steve Smith had never cracked 1,000 yards before that season so he was unproven as well and Muhammad was a good possession receiver who had one enormous year in his career (2004, the year after the super bowl). Fox seems to get the most out of his players' talent. Muhammad had by far his biggest season under Fox, Steve Smith realized his potential with Fox as head coach and he got every ounce of ability out of Delhomme.

Fox is a defensive coach. That's like giving Lovie credit for the success Forte has had. This Bears defense doesn't have any talent. Fox isn't a rebuild type of coach.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Nas wrote:
[ Fox isn't a rebuild type of coach.

This AM on M&H his old GM said Fox can take a bad defense and turn it around in a year. I'd like to see that. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

NME wrote:
Nas wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
John Fox is a great hire. Who is a better alternative? He's an experienced head coach with credibility who has been successful. If he brings Kyle Shanahan or Peyton Manning with him, its an even better hire. I also think that he has enough red ass in him to not let Teddy or anyone else push him around or tell him what to do.

I still like the hire. Bears get a real NFL football coach and a GM that will hopefully be able to work well in sync together.

Fox didn't always have the most talented teams in Carolina and still managed to put together some good seasons. Not sure what his input was on drafting and so on in Carolina, but if Pace can hand him some real NFL football players, I'm confident that Fox can coach them up and win with them.

Those coordinators in Seattle are nobody's without Pete Carrol, and I'm willing to bet they aren't NFL HC's for long after leaving Petey's nest.

Those Panthers teams were talented and had great defenses. This is a rebuild and I don't think Fox is a rebuild coach. Our defense is beyond awful

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:
Nas wrote:

This AM on M&H his old GM said Fox can take a bad defense and turn it around in a year. I'd like to see that. :lol:

If he can do that with this Bears defense he should be put in the HoF immediately.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:35 pm 

Nas wrote:
Powerhouse233 wrote:
Nas wrote:

Fox is a defensive coach. That's like giving Lovie credit for the success Forte has had. This Bears defense doesn't have any talent. Fox isn't a rebuild type of coach.

He's the head coach, not the DC. Even though he may specialize more on the defensive side of the ball he can't have a positive impact on offense? He clearly did. He's responsible for the entire roster and many players on both sides of the ball realized their full potential while under John Fox.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Nas wrote:
NME wrote:
Nas wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Those Panthers teams were talented and had great defenses. This is a rebuild and I don't think Fox is a rebuild coach. Our defense is beyond awful

I always looked at many of those 'talented' players in Carolina as being good fits for the scheme more so than top tier talent. Sure there were a handful of guys that could play on any team and look good like Steve Smith, but those Carolina teams were not as stacked as you're trying to make them out to be Nas.

Also, he rebuilt in Carolina like others have said.

Last edited by NME on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

Powerhouse233 wrote:
Nas wrote:
Powerhouse233 wrote:
Nas wrote:

He's the head coach, not the DC. Even though he may specialize more on the defensive side of the ball he can't have a positive impact on offense? He clearly did. He's responsible for the entire roster and many players on both sides of the ball realized their full potential while under John Fox.

You're really reaching IMO. If you like Fox that's fine but he didn't make the Broncos offense or the Panthers offense better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: whatever
Hatchetman wrote:
Nas wrote:

The list of a few 2003 Panthers who were picked during the pre-2003 Capers/Seifert era include: Steve Smith, Muhsin Muhammad, Dan Morgan, Mike Rucker, Deon Grant, Kris Jenkins, and Mike Minter.

He inherited the 2nd overall pick to take Peppers in 2002.
Which new players developed after 2003?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:41 pm 

John Fox was lucky in all his 13 NFL seasons.
Lovie Smith was unlucky in all his 10 NFL seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Nas wrote:

He also followed a 12-4 season with an 8-8 & then a 2-14. How many "good" coaches have a 2-14 season on their resume?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
IkeSouth wrote:

now we are tampa. we hired a guy that had success but will come here and be shit. and we are excited about it.

way to go bears.

I'm afraid you are correct...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:45 pm 

PFT reporting NOT DONE DEAL. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Hatchetman wrote:
PFT reporting NOT DONE DEAL. :lol:

Another MacGinnis-like fiasco would be glorious.

Maybe Phillips and Pace found out Fox doesn't want Cutler.

Last edited by Jaw Breaker on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: whatever
Jaw Breaker wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

way to go bears.

I'm afraid you are correct...

Yes. Its not like he's taking over the 2001 Bucs. The defense and ST talent is awful.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Really? You're struggling here. The overwhelming majority of all the elite players were already on the roster. This is a fact.
The roster is over 2/3 different. There were a couple of "elite" players there, but nowhere near the 'overwhelming majority.
Code:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2001_roster.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2003_roster.htm
With how much Bears kool-aid you drink, maybe its a good thing you don't like this hire Nas.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:01 pm 

wonder if lawers are involved in the contract. Bearss, burned by McGinnis fiasco, not saying boo til ink is dry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

NME wrote:
I always looked at many of those 'talented' players in Carolina as being good fits for the scheme more so than top tier talent. Sure there were a handful of guys that could play on any team and look good like Steve Smith, but those Carolina teams were not as stacked as you're trying to make them out to be Nas.

Also, he rebuilt in Carolina like others have said.

I'm not saying Fox is a terrible coach. I just think he's an average coach. IMO he would have been a good fit to replace Lovie. He would have had the respect of the locker room and would have gotten whatever was left out of that team. They definitely would have made the playoffs in 2013 if he was the coach.

Here are a few of the players he inherited in Carolina:

Julius Peppers
DeShaun Foster
Will Witherspoon
Dante Wesley
Kris Jenkins
John Kasay
Dan Morgan
Muhsin Muhammad
Mike Rucker
Steve Smith
Deon Grant
Jordan Gross

That's a pretty good core to start with IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Nas wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

The roster is over 2/3 different. There were a couple of "elite" players there, but nowhere near the 'overwhelming majority.
Code:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2001_roster.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2003_roster.htm
With how much Bears kool-aid you drink, maybe its a good thing you don't like this hire Nas.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. John Fox inherited the team in 2002 and the overwhelming majority of the elite players (if not all) they had in the Super Bowl were already on the roster. That was a great draft they had in 2002. They hit on their first 4 picks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next