It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fire Pace
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:02 am 

312player wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
(Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky may suck but none of the quarterbacks this year have a better chance of being better.

How bout Watson and Mahomes?
I'd say they are all pretty close. Watson looks better but first year quarterback stats lie all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
312player wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Josh Allen can't hit the broadside of the barn with a football and crumbled every time his faced top competition in college. You guys crack me up.

Reminds me of Wentz

Tall Favre.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
312player wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
(Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky may suck but none of the quarterbacks this year have a better chance of being better.

I'd say they are all pretty close. Watson looks better but first year quarterback stats lie all the time.

To the extent they lie, I'd say it's way more common they lie to the downside (e.g., Peyton Manning was rookie garbage but improved, whereas Watson proved he can play and I doubt he turns into garbage.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
312player wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

To the extent they lie, I'd say it's way more common they lie to the downside (e.g., Peyton Manning was rookie garbage but improved, whereas Watson proved he can play and I doubt he turns into garbage.)

His knees notwithstanding.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:56 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
312player wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

There are a lot of guys that looked like they would be really good to great that never made the next step or even took a step back their sophomore year. Even Dak Prescott looked questionable this year. For others, injuries may have to do with it but guys like RG3 and even Luck have to be viewed as disappointments so far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:43 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Josh Allen can't hit the broadside of the barn with a football and crumbled every time his faced top competition in college. You guys crack me up.

and still will, without any doubt whatsoever, be a first round pick and most likely an upper half of the first round pick

As I said, I personally think he is gone before #8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:48 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I disagree from my observations and I think professional scouts would disagree as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I thought this year's QB class was extremely overrated even before Darnold turned the ball over 22 times this season. That being said, I see no reason to believe (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky will necessarily be better than the lot of them other than the same blind faith that scouts used to rank him above Watson in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:58 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
I thought this year's QB class was extremely overrated even before Darnold turned the ball over 22 times this season. That being said, I see no reason to believe (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky will necessarily be better than the lot of them other than the same blind faith that scouts used to rank him above Watson in the first place.
He may not be the best of them but all of the top picks from last year and this year have issues. I don't know who will be the best but I'm not confident saying any of them will be better than any other.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:21 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
He may not be the best of them but all of the top picks from last year and this year have issues. I don't know who will be the best but I'm not confident saying any of them will be better than any other.

I get that, but I think (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky's issues would have been far more apparent as well if he had played as much as Watson or any of the guys in this year's class. And it's precisely his inexperience that's been used to excuse the issues he's shown as a professional as well now too.

This "hey he could turn out to be really good and we just don't know yet" logic is the same thing that led Pace and others to conclude Glennon was the best available free agent quarterback last offseason and worth dropping $18.5 million on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:35 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
I get that, but I think (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky's issues would have been far more apparent as well if he had played as much as Watson or any of the guys in this year's class. And it's precisely his inexperience that's been used to excuse the issues he's shown as a professional as well now too.
(Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky played more games than Watson and Mahomes though.

ZephMarshack wrote:
This "hey he could turn out to be really good and we just don't know yet" logic is the same thing that led Pace and others to conclude Glennon was the best available free agent quarterback last offseason and worth dropping $18.5 million on.
That literally describes every quarterback now, including Watson. Rookie qb production is not really correlated to career success.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:39 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I believe he is talking about college games.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Im confident in saying Watson and Mahomes are better, will be better and Allen as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
312player wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Im confident in saying Watson and Mahomes are better, will be better and Allen as well.

Watson is a reasonable take, but the other two. Fucking nonsense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:43 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
312player wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

312player = Fucking nonsense

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:45 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
As Juiced noted, I was referring to his college career, where he was somehow rated as the best quarterback in that class in part due to his comparative lack of issues.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
That literally describes every quarterback now, including Watson. Rookie qb production is not really correlated to career success.

All rookie quarterbacks are not created equally unknowable though. I'd say hitching your wagon to the guy who started 13 games on the basis of traits and potential generally involves greater uncertainty than picking one with sustained collegiate success.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:46 pm 

We shall see..I had Watson 1, Mahomes 2 and that dipshit Pace grabbed the 3rd best and traded up..firable offense imo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
DID NOT HAPPEN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:48 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
312player wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Yeah. If I had to bet, I'd go with Watson, but I think too much is being made of his rookie production especially with how much more experienced he was.

A player as experienced at him should be the best rookie.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:49 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
As Juiced noted, I was referring to his college career, where he was somehow rated as the best quarterback in that class in part due to his comparative lack of issues.
But, that also means that we shouldn't expect him to be as ready as someone like Watson.
ZephMarshack wrote:
All rookie quarterbacks are not created equally unknowable though. I'd say hitching your wagon to the guy who started 13 games on the basis of traits and potential generally involves greater uncertainty than picking one with sustained collegiate success.
So, of the quarterbacks from last year, and this year, who will no doubt be better than (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
312player wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Yeah. If I had to bet, I'd go with Watson, but I think too much is being made of his rookie production especially with how much more experienced he was.

Watson was also throwing to All-pro level receivers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
But, that also means that we shouldn't expect him to be as ready as someone like Watson.
Which is exactly what I said in my initial comment. He gets ranked above those guys going into the draft in part because he had far less of a chance of being exposed or demonstrating issues, and then when he does show issues in the pros he's preemptively excused for them due to inexperience. It's a real best of both worlds situation where he continuously gets rated on potential more than results.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
So, of the quarterbacks from last year, and this year, who will no doubt be better than (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky?

Nothing I said entails that I have to guarantee one player specifically will be better than (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. I would be absolutely shocked however if he ends up better than every single quarterback from both classes and I think believing that to be likely requires a great deal of blind faith.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:02 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
312player wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Watson was a 3 year starter because he bested his competition..Mitch was a 1 year starter because he couldn't.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:07 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Which is exactly what I said in my initial comment. He gets ranked above those guys going into the draft in part because he had far less of a chance of being exposed or demonstrating issues, and then when he does show issues in the pros he's preemptively excused for them due to inexperience. It's a real best of both worlds situation where he continuously gets rated on potential more than results.
I don't know what point you are trying to make. (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky has a lot of potential. As I said, he may suck. We won't get a good picture on it until this next year.
ZephMarshack wrote:
Nothing I said entails that I have to guarantee one player specifically will be better than (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky. I would be absolutely shocked however if he ends up better than every single quarterback from both classes and I think believing that to be likely requires a great deal of blind faith.
It's a good thing I didn't say he would end up better than every single quarterback from both classes then.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:14 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
It's a good thing I didn't say he would end up better than every single quarterback from both classes then.

I don't think they're all equally likely to be the best from the two classes however just because they all have nebulous potential and issues and uncertainty surrounding each of them. In fact I think (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is one of the least likely to end up the best from the two classes given what he's shown in college and the pros thus far compared to the field.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:19 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I don't think they're all equally likely to be the best from the two classes however just because they all have nebulous potential and issues and uncertainty surrounding each of them. In fact I think (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is one of the least likely to end up the best from the two classes given what he's shown in college and the pros thus far compared to the field.
That seems to be some backtracking.

My whole point was that none of the quarterbacks are remarkably more likely to be a success over the others. You seem to disagree but I can't even tell which quarterback or quarterbacks you think will be significantly better than him. If (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is as fatally flawed as you seem to think then why not name some names?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

My whole point was that none of the quarterbacks are remarkably more likely to be a success over the others. You seem to disagree but I can't even tell which quarterback or quarterbacks you think will be significantly better than him. If (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is as fatally flawed as you seem to think then why not name some names?

How is it backtracking? This is literally what I said in my first post: "I see no reason to believe (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky will necessarily be better than the lot of them other than the same blind faith that scouts used to rank him above Watson in the first place."

Again, my negative belief that (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is more unlikely to end up being the best quarterback across the 2 classes than others doesn't entail that I have to have a positive belief about guaranteed locks. But I'd agree with you that he appears unlikely to be better than Watson (unless Watson's return from injury is mismanaged on the scale of RGIII), and I like Darnold, Rosen, and Jackson's potential more than his as well. I also think Mahomes is in a better situation and may reap the benefits of being able to sit for a year rather than having to rush into the starting lineup because the guy ahead of him is an $18.5 million useless giraffe who was similarly rated on potential.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:40 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

How is it backtracking? This is literally what I said in my first post: "I see no reason to believe (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky will necessarily be better than the lot of them other than the same blind faith that scouts used to rank him above Watson in the first place."

Again, my negative belief that (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky is more unlikely to end up being the best quarterback across the 2 classes than others doesn't entail that I have to have a positive belief about guaranteed locks. But I'd agree with you that he appears unlikely to be better than Watson (unless Watson's return from injury is mismanaged on the scale of RGIII), and I like Darnold, Rosen, and Jackson's potential more than his as well. I also think Mahomes is in a better situation and may reap the benefits of being able to sit for a year rather than having to rush into the starting lineup because the guy ahead of him is an $18.5 million useless giraffe who was similarly rated on potential.

You seem to think (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky sucks but don't want to come out and say it.

I guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:49 pm 

I'll say it for him..he sucks. Where are you Rick? For the record.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:54 pm 

312player wrote:
I'll say it for him..he sucks. Where are you Rick? For the record.
I like his potential and thought he made some nice throws but he's still too raw to really know and I don't put much stock into rookie production whether good or bad. If I have to pick I think he'll end up a pretty average starting quarterback but I think it's really hard to know until we are about 8 games into next year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 31  Next