It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Fire Pace
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:14 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I don't know how you could give him anything other than an A. He's addressed three areas of need and has gotten guys that could start day one, unlike Emery's developmental picks in McClellin, Fuller, Ferguson and Sutton. You can't ask for more than that. With three picks he's anchored both the offensive and defensive lines and added the biggest scoring threat in the draft. I would have liked to see them get an OT, but taking a center is just as good. These picks have implications beyond just the personnel themselves, such as White making Cutler and the entire passing game better and Grasu improving the run game and pass protection.

Would like to see them pick up a RB in the 4th. They have to get someone else besides Forte in the backfield, preferably a short-yardage guy and able blocker.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Pace Grading
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:46 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Not giving any grade until I see these guys play NFL football....but as Dick BUTKA said '...and I like this pick'

if you see immediate impact by White and Goldman....then I am happy to give the A....if the C starts...thats even more impressive and I think that is the plan...

Lets see what today brings....

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:03 am 

From NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -nfc-teams

Chicago Bears

Draft pick: WR Kevin White (No. 7 overall), DT Eddie Goldman (No. 39 overall), OL Hroniss Grasu (No. 71 overall)
Grade: A
The skinny: The hometown crowd reacted positively to the Bears' first pick, and it wasn't alone. New GM Ryan Pace grabbed a player with arguably the highest upside in the draft. Jay Cutler said goodbye to Brandon Marshall and hello to someone with the potential to be even better in White, which has to make Cutler happy even if the front office might have tried to trade him. Good luck to opposing defenses trying to defend White and Alshon Jeffrey. At times, Goldman was dominant in the middle of Florida State's defense, and John Fox is hoping that happens in the Windy City. Oregon offensive linemen have worked out well for the Bears in recent years, and Grasu should continue that trend.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Pace did exactly what I was hoping he would do, and that is to not reach for a player or pick a guy as if he nows something no one else does. Emery and Angelo did this every year and it really hurt them.
Pace did a great job in his first NFL draft. Definitly an A.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Scorehead wrote:
Pace did exactly what I was hoping he would do, and that is to not reach for a player or pick a guy as if he nows something no one else does. Emery and Angelo did this every year and it really hurt them.
Pace did a great job in his first NFL draft. Definitly an A.

I agree with your point here, but Pace is picking for the wrong side of the ball imo. I think that could turn out to be a big mistake going forward.

I'm cool with the 1st 2 picks being White and then Goldman, that addressed two big needs with good players that he didn't really reach for. I would have preferred Pace to reverse those two positions with Shelton in the 1st and maybe Dorial Green-Beckham in the 2nd, but that's a small concern really.

Everything he has done from there is questionable tho. Picking a small-ish Center in the 3rd and a RB in the 4th just didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense for this team right now, and outside of maybe the Center pick I don't see much value there either. You can get RB's in free agency these days and the team wasted (seemingly) a 4th rounder last year on one as is -and he is still on the roster. As for Grasu, he doesn't seem like a good fit for a HC that likes to pound the ball and control the clock -the zone blocking theme does carry some potential for him tho so we'll see.

Not sure where I'd grade Pace out at as of this moment draft wise. All I can really say is; I feel like the Bears got 2 immediate starters that will be good players with those 1st two picks, and I feel good about that. The rest of it doesn't feel right to me.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Bad free agents to give the (false) impression the defense will improve while diverting all efforts to enabling Cutler. Pace is Emery, carbon copy.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I don't think a statement could be more wrong.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:48 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
I don't think a statement could be more wrong.

Have you read his Sox thoughts?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:56 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I'd say B+. Incomplete.

Those last 2 picks baffle me a little. But I don't know those guys, either.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Pace grades out as a B- right now.

After first two picks,maybe it was an A-.

The RB pick baffles me. Ka'Deem Carey looked pretty good at times last year in a limited role and you can always pick up a FA RB.

I was hoping the Bears drafted that NU S:Ibraheim Campbell .

He should have drafted more defense.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
jimmypasta wrote:

The RB pick baffles me. Ka'Deem Carey looked pretty good at times last year in a limited role and you can always pick up a FA RB.

Carey was awful last year, but I agree that RB's are easy to find. I'm happy that Pace didnt try to be the smartest guy in the room and he addressed many positions of need without reaching.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/i ... deem-carey

He wasn't terrible. Not exactly all-world,but he deserves a 2nd look.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
jimmypasta wrote:

RB pick is Forte insurance / replacement. Langford played wideout and d-back some at MSU as well. So he should have Forte like versatility.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Pace did exactly what Ted wanted

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
jimmypasta wrote:

How could you possibly think Carey looked "pretty good?" He barely ever played. Like small enough sample size that it's almost impossible to draw a conclusion either way.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:01 pm 

I just spent about two hours (far too long) dissecting this draft from just about every online source I could find. I cannot find a single thing wrong with it.

I think a project-pick in round 3 is a little high but I also think he will be a worthwhile project to once again solidify center.

The RB pick makes perfect sense considering the immense need and what was on the board. He's the #2 the minute he unloads his TV this summer.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
The Grasu pick is the one, after White, I'm the least worried about.

I think that's one position they won't have to worry about for a while.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:33 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Grasu was a great pick.

I don't understand why anyone is even questioning it.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:12 am 

Unless everything I read was wrong, nobody had Grasu being able to start in the NFL this year.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:16 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
If the new coaching staff is as good as people think they are, the Bears should be greatly improved. Especially on D. This draft was ok. Nothing spectacular, but one of the late rounds might hit and will end up being great.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Grasu was a great pick.

I don't understand why anyone is even questioning it.

Because he is small, not a guy to push the pile. Almost every vid I watched of him he was pulling to the left or right but nothing straight up pushing guys backwards.

He may work out well in a zone blocking scheme which the Bears are rumored to be looking into going forward but that is good for him, how about the rest of your offensive line? I'm not sure how Kyle Long or Bushrod look in a zone blocking setting. So now you might be switching over to that for a 3rd round pick over current personnel.

And of course, you need defense more than offense in this draft and in the 3rd you pick a center.

He may wind up being a good player, but there are more than a few reasons to at least question that pick and some of the others.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Until they play for a few years you won;'t know

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:21 am 

Could everyone, including myself, have made a mistake in grading Pace as good, when he's not? The knock on Emery was that he was not effective enough in the draft in finding players. None of the guys that Pace drafted with his first three picks are going to be playing either, when at least the 1st rounder should be starting.

How is that even possible when the Bears had no depth anywhere to begin with coming into this year?

Other than Goldman, the Pace draft is a disaster. I wouldn't call this 5th rounder beating out Vereen at safety anything other than Vereen being not very good at football.

By the same standard the Bears held Emery to, Pace is now failing. So much for getting the GM right.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:39 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Could everyone, including myself, have made a mistake in grading Pace as good, when he's not? The knock on Emery was that he was not effective enough in the draft in finding players. None of the guys that Pace drafted with his first three picks are going to be playing either, when at least the 1st rounder should be starting.

How is that even possible when the Bears had no depth anywhere to begin with coming into this year?

Other than Goldman, the Pace draft is a disaster. I wouldn't call this 5th rounder beating out Vereen at safety anything other than Vereen being not very good at football.

By the same standard the Bears held Emery to, Pace is now failing. So much for getting the GM right.

Way too early to be deciding anything regarding Pace.

They have played one preseason game. No way to tell if this draft is a disaster.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:50 am 

RFDC wrote:
They have played one preseason game. No way to tell if this draft is a disaster.

With all the holes the Bears had to fill, not one of Pace's guys is projected to start week one when you were thin to begin with. I call that a failure.

There were positions they could have drafted for, where guys could have played right away like OT, ILB, OLB, DE, Corner and S. Pace drafted for none of those positions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
RFDC wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Way too early to be deciding anything regarding Pace.

Voice of reason.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:54 pm 

Rube loves to rush to judgement on things.

Trump is going to win the election 6+ months before first primary.

Pace is a disaster after one preseason game.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:08 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Rube loves to rush to judgement on things.

Trump is going to win the election 6+ months before first primary.

Pace is a disaster after one preseason game.

Haven't been proven wrong on either of those two things. When someone is beating Trump, call me.

The White-pick only made sense if he played right away. If he couldn't, there was no sense in wasting that pick on a position that wasn't needful, like the many there are on defense in ILB, OLB, Corner, S. When you take White away, the Pace draft doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Bernstein was thinking wishfully yesterday about a late-round guy stepping up and beating-out a veteran. We're not even at the point yet where any of the first three '15 picks is playing, let alone a late-round guy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:19 pm 

:lol: Of course you haven't been proven wrong yet, because you are months away from any objective conclusion.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I can't decide anything yet on his forst draft but I remember one thing. At his first presser or around there he said he was a best athlete drafter. So not really correct to want him to have drafted for positions. He stated that is the wrong thing to do.

-Ronald Reagan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next