It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
It was the first year the Score was on the air and being a sports radio junkie at the time I had found the Score. 820 AM ...Rayyy!

I knew who North was from actually going into Bebes Dogs a few timea and then seeing him on a FOX interview, but still 99.9999% of the city didn't know who he was...

In those days I had some all access privledges to the Chicago Stadium and used to get there early, even before Jordan and shoot or just hang out.

One game they had the Media 3 point contest at halftime and Mike North was invited. all the media came out before the Bulls shootaround to take some practice shots as it really tough to shoot there...REAL TOUGH

Mike North came out wearing his Zubas and he was as humble as a little kid who's Daddy just won the Cubs Bat Boy for a day Auction on Channel 11. (yes, I swear he was humble , quiet and almost shy)

He was standing under the basket, bouncing the ball and wasn't sure what to do as none of the Bulls people came over to him. Not that I knew what to do, as I didn't actually work for the Bulls, but I approached North , said Hello and I am not sure he was ever so happy as I think this may have been a first "Public Appearance" for Mike and the fact that someone (me) recognized him, I think made his day.

Anyways, I told him to shoot and I would rebound for him. So he went out to the 3 point range and started shooting. After a few shots, I told him the Ball boys will take over, he said thanks and I walked away.

PART II (Bonus Brush)

After I got through with North I sat down courthside and then Sudberry came over to shoot a few. Sud had a real good shot. Good form and smooth, but he would watch the ball the whole way, through the hoop and then grab he next ball.

After 10 minutes of practing he sat down a couple seats from me and I said that he should not watch the ball so long and could easily win this thing.

Sudberry, moved over next to me and says 'yeah I know, I do have the best shot, don't I?" (LOL)

I agreed with him, yes it was a cocky statement, but he was right.

Not sure who won it , didn't care...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:42 am 
1000 CLUB

Your description of Pappy in the early 90's does not surprise me. He came across as a humble down to earth guy on the radio. I'm of the opinion that whomever started at the Score would succeed. It was new and people were going to listen to the ground breakers. But hey Pappy got his break. Good for him. The problem with Pappy is that over the years he fell in love with himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:13 am 

[quote="Beardown"] I'm of the opinion that whomever started at the Score would succeed. It was new and people were going to listen to the ground breakers. But hey Pappy got his break. Good for him. quote]

Don't let your dislike for him cloud your judgement. There are many people from those early days who have not succeeded.

Pappy is like Kevin Bacon to me. It seems like no matter who I meet he is less than 6 degrees removed from me.

I have a brush from recent vintage. Salisbury was sitting behind me in the Picnic Area yesterday before the Sox Cubs game. He was very unassuming. He didn't attempt to draw a crowd to himself. He was sitting with a nice looking blond.