All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jack Sikma
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:14 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
That's not even going into the significant speed/strength advantage every guy I listed has over Sikma.

There it is. The "slow, tiny, white" canard.

I never said white, or tiny. He was tall. He was not particularly strong. Are you saying he was faster and stronger than anyone I mentioned? He was a better shooter than pretty much all of them.

He was strong as fuck. Why don't you look at the guys he had to guard night in and night out. He'd beat the living fuck out of Joakim Noah.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:16 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The pace of play argument is silly. Sikma scored twice as much as Tyson Chandler and you're chalking the difference up to "pace of play". Do you also believe that David West was a better scorer than Jordan? Pace of play.

You shoulda said Baylor. Jordan is a terrible analogy.

So you're telling me that a guy that averages 16-10 in a 240 possession game will get those same numbers, or very close to, in a 160 possession game? I find that hard to believe.

I think we'd agree Wilt would be the best center in the league if dropped in today. But do you think he would also average 50 ppg or 25 rpg? This is just common sense stuff. It's not silly, a strawman, a canard, or whatever other device you're going for.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
RFDC wrote:
I hate when that canard is played.

:lol:

Nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:21 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
That's not even going into the significant speed/strength advantage every guy I listed has over Sikma.

There it is. The "slow, tiny, white" canard.

I never said white, or tiny. He was tall. He was not particularly strong. Are you saying he was faster and stronger than anyone I mentioned? He was a better shooter than pretty much all of them.

He was strong as fuck. Why don't you look at the guys he had to guard night in and night out. He'd beat the living fuck out of Joakim Noah.

:lol:

Agree to disagree. I must have seen unusual games/footage of Sikma. He didn't seem to be an enforcer from what I saw.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Jack Sikma could do everything. Pass, shoot, score inside, rebound like a bitch. He was not slow. Put him on the NBA steroid plan and he'd be a top 5 center today w/o question.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:25 am 

Clearly Sikma could play today, but to say he would beat the fuck out of Noah is a stretch

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:27 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The pace of play argument is silly. Sikma scored twice as much as Tyson Chandler and you're chalking the difference up to "pace of play". Do you also believe that David West was a better scorer than Jordan? Pace of play.

So you're telling me that a guy that averages 16-10 in a 240 possession game will get those same numbers, or very close to, in a 160 possession game? I find that hard to believe.

I think we'd agree Wilt would be the best center in the league if dropped in today. But do you think he would also average 50 ppg or 25 rpg? This is just common sense stuff. It's not silly, a strawman, a canard, or whatever other device you're going for.

It's funny how guys your age think every guy from the past would be a lesser player today except somehow Jordan is the exception. Nike. The power of advertising.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:30 am 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Clearly Sikma could play today, but to say he would beat the fuck out of Noah is a stretch

Do you consider Noah to be a particularly strong player? Sikma held his own against Jabbar, Moses Malone, Robert Parrish, Wes Unseld, etc. Who are the Hall of Famers that Tyson Chandler guards?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:32 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Do you consider Noah to be a particularly strong player? Sikma held his own against Jabbar, Moses Malone, Robert Parrish, Wes Unseld, etc. Who are the Hall of Famers that Tyson Chandler guards?

I am not arguing that Sikma didn't do those things. I am for the most part in agreement with you, just don't think he would be this physical dominating presence inside that would beat the fuck out of any of the current centers.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Jack Sikma is decidedly better than Tyson Chandler. Same with Horford. That shouldn't even be a real debate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:35 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It's funny how guys your age think every guy from the past would be a lesser player today except somehow Jordan is the exception. Nike. The power of advertising.

You know that's bullshit though. Did you not just hear me say Wilt would be the best still today? Jerry West would be unbelievable good too. Ditto with Baylor. And Russell. I dont think Cousy could handle the PGs today, but maybe if he grew up in the same environment that stressed dribbling fundamentals he could. Sam Jones could definitely be a good player today.

The "Guys your age blah blah blah" is just a sweeping, inaccurate, terrible way of saying "I am losing this argument so I'll just make shit up I guess at this point."

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:36 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Sikma held his own against Jabbar, Moses Malone, Robert Parrish, Wes Unseld, etc. Who are the Hall of Famers that Tyson Chandler guards?

He more than held his own. Seven time all-star.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:37 am 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I am not arguing that Sikma didn't do those things. I am for the most part in agreement with you, just don't think he would be this physical dominating presence inside that would beat the fuck out of any of the current centers.

What I'm saying is that Sikma was a big, strong dude and exceptionally agile for a big man. The game is different today and not because people evolved. The "training" methods are different. I think we can assume that guys of the past would use those methods were they playing today.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:38 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Jack Sikma is decidedly better than Tyson Chandler. Same with Horford. That shouldn't even be a real debate.

Sikma is much better offensively. Chandler is much better defensively. I already explained why total rpg doesn't work well as a comparable. But TR% does. That's the total amount of rebounds you grabbed out of the ones available. Sikma's career high for one season is 18.0, Chandler's is 20.7. Chandler's career average is 18.3. Chandler was the better rebounder and better defender. Sikma was a better offensive player. Chandler was a better overall player.

(slaps Bagels hand to make Horford's case)

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:39 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You know that's bullshit though. Did you not just hear me say Wilt would be the best still today? Jerry West would be unbelievable good too. Ditto with Baylor. And Russell. I dont think Cousy could handle the PGs today, but maybe if he grew up in the same environment that stressed dribbling fundamentals he could. Sam Jones could definitely be a good player today.

The "Guys your age blah blah blah" is just a sweeping, inaccurate, terrible way of saying "I am losing this argument so I'll just make shit up I guess at this point."

Well then, if Chandler's 8 ppg are better than Sikma's 16 based on "pace of play" wht wouldn't David West's 15 be better than Jordan's 30? By the way, I'm pretty sure I'm not losing this argument.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:40 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Sikma is much better offensively. Chandler is much better defensively. I already explained why total rpg doesn't work well as a comparable. But TR% does. That's the total amount of rebounds you grabbed out of the ones available. Sikma's career high for one season is 18.0, Chandler's is 20.7. Chandler's career average is 18.3. Chandler was the better rebounder and better defender. Sikma was a better offensive player. Chandler was a better overall player.

Who are the Hall of Famers that Chandler guards?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

We will again disagree.

Enjoy the Black Hills.

Or is that South Dakota?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:41 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Noah weighs more than Sikma did.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:42 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I can't speak to that. I've never weighed them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:43 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

We will again disagree.

Enjoy the Black Hills.

Or is that South Dakota?

I dont know what the black hills are. I'm already enjoying it up here. I start work tomorrow making a little more than twice what I was making in Texas.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:44 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I can't speak to that. I've never weighed them.

Fortunately for you and I, the NBA did.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:44 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

We will again disagree.

Enjoy the Black Hills.

Or is that South Dakota?

I dont know what the black hills are. I'm already enjoying it up here. I start work tomorrow making a little more than twice what I was making in Texas.

You left a Tyson Chandler job for a Jack Sikma job. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:47 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Who are the Hall of Famers that Chandler guards?

You cant hold it against him who he plays against. He won DPOY last year, and I believe was runner up the year before. Just because Sikma played against Kareem, does not mean he played him particularly well. From what I understand Sikma was not considered a very good defensive player. Is that false?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:53 am 

Defense wasn't his forte, but he put in a workman-like effort. Big ass guys like moses malone would cause him problems, but then again he couldn't guard Sikma either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:55 am 

The Dream Team would be average players if they played today

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:04 am 

So.....Biggie says he won more money than some people make in a year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 am 

spanky wrote:

You're pretty swift and catch on fast.

:P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 am 

spanky wrote:
He needs to rate that on a scale of IMU to Dr. Ken for it to have meaning.

I won more money than the board housewives make in a year in Omaha once.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
FF not to be a dick here but you were maybe 5 by the time Sikma retired from the league yet you're posting like you watched hours and hours of his games.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:15 am 

KS, why not trade up to Carrie Underwood?

I saw her CD being sold the other day at a Gas station. She's way hotter.