It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alderman Burke
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:39 am 

Hailing a cab downtown earlier in the week.

I would bet he hasn't been in a non chauffeured city vehicle while downtown in several decades. It was almost one of those moments where you wish you had a black and white camera to snap an artistic photo.

Post subject: Re: Alderman Burke
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:01 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
These new fangled cellphones have all sorts of filters nowadays. You can take a regular pic, and then change it to grayscale to get your B&W print.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:30 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I used to see him at least once a month when my office was downtown. Always with a security detail and wearing a ridiculous suit that looked something like this:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
:lol: His glasses are straight outta 1992.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I used to see him at least once a month when my office was downtown. Always with a security detail and wearing a ridiculous suit that looked something like this:

He got all flashy after Vrdolyak left and Burke became the Eddie with the power.

It was always kind of strange for me because in the 80s, the other alderman ridiculed the poor guy on the golf course. Just tore him apart in front of us. Showed him no respect at all. It was uncomfortable.

Real nice guy to caddy for, though. When he started off, he was a hack, but he improved over the years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
why the fuck are alderman even assigned drivers. that's bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:37 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I saw that and immediately thought of Dorothy Tillman. Council wars with real teeth, and at least one alderman about to go for her .32 when her hat got knocked off iirc. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

He got all flashy after Vrdolyak left and Burke became the Eddie with the power.

It was always kind of strange for me because in the 80s, the other alderman ridiculed the poor guy on the golf course. Just tore him apart in front of us. Showed him no respect at all. It was uncomfortable.

Real nice guy to caddy for, though. When he started off, he was a hack, but he improved over the years.

Obviously, I have a lot of opinions on dressing. And I have nothing against flashy dressing. My inclination is to dress flashily myself. But there's a time and a place. The other day I went to a wake and made sure not to wear an outrageous tie and/or pocket square. It just shouldn't be done. This is a guy making our laws and handling our money. He shouldn't be dressed like he's at the dice game in Guys and Dolls.

My dad was a banker and he was a sharp dresser, but very conservative as was befitting his profession. He was a perfect 38 regular and could buy his suits right off the rack. I need a lot of tailoring. Ernie Da Tailor (R.I.P.) told me I had "freakishly short arms for a man of my size". Anyway, my dad always wore expensive suits. Then my parents got divorced and I think he stopped giving a shit. It was the 70s and he started buying crap from Haband. In the mid-80s my parents got back together and my mom said, "Look, if we're going to do this you have to get some new clothes. One of the reasons I married you was because you dressed so well. Now you're wearing... you're wearing... I don't know what." She made him go out and spend $5000 on new suits.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Obviously, I have a lot of opinions on dressing. And I have nothing against flashy dressing. My inclination is to dress flashily myself. But there's a time and a place. The other day I went to a wake and made sure not to wear an outrageous tie and/or pocket square. It just shouldn't be done. This is a guy making our laws and handling our money. He shouldn't be dressed like he's at the dice game in Guys and Dolls.

Joe in Evanston wrote:
Damn right.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

My dad was a banker and he was a sharp dresser, but very conservative as was befitting his profession. He was a perfect 38 regular and could buy his suits right off the rack. I need a lot of tailoring. Ernie Da Tailor (R.I.P.) told me I had "freakishly short arms for a man of my size". Anyway, my dad always wore expensive suits. Then my parents got divorced and I think he stopped giving a shit. It was the 70s and he started buying crap from Haband. In the mid-80s my parents got back together and my mom said, "Look, if we're going to do this you have to get some new clothes. One of the reasons I married you was because you dressed so well. Now you're wearing... you're wearing... I don't know what." She made him go out and spend $5000 on new suits.

A shirt open to your navel wasn’t the right choice either Versace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

A shirt open to your navel wasn’t the right choice either Versace

On a 95 degree day on the Arlington apron that may have been overdressed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:21 am 
Site Admin

tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

So another guy with Richie Daley syndrome then.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

At a funeral this morning in the city.

He looked like he would have happily traded places with the deceased.

He looks like a guy trying to run out the clock.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:33 pm 

He was the Eddie that Harold didn’t respect. Can’t say that I could blame him. Burke is a scumbag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Regular Reader wrote:
He was the Eddie that Harold didn’t respect. Can’t say that I could blame him. Burke is a scumbag

You might even say that both Eddies were scumbags.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:55 pm 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

True. But Burke was the racist, Vrydolyak primarily a grubby opportunist.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:57 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
She made him go out and spend $5000 on new suits.

How do you know Ed Burke even has a suit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Regular Reader wrote:
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

True. But Burke was the racist, Vrydolyak primarily a grubby opportunist.

Yeah, besides a dislike for the Irish-Americans who assumed he was a "Polack," I don't think Eddie V. was obsessed with race like some of the others. Just a slimy--but very smart--lawyer.