It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
Were chopping it up in a restaurant in the South Loop yesterday. Didn't know Strickland was not too long ago hired to be the New Coach of Long Island University til yesterday.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:39 pm 

I was shocked that he took such a small job.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:52 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

For some reason the larger ones have not come a calling. Crazy thing is Depaul's current coach was sitting right there with him and Hardaway. I wonder what he was thinking.

I hope he can make a splash and move on to something bigger at some point. Like Depaul. There was a lot of love in there for him yesterday. Guys were actually interacting with him more than Hardaway surprisingly.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:28 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

For some reason the larger ones have not come a calling. Crazy thing is Depaul's current coach was sitting right there with him and Hardaway. I wonder what he was thinking.

I hope he can make a splash and move on to something bigger at some point. Like Depaul. There was a lot of love in there for him yesterday. Guys were actually interacting with him more than Hardaway surprisingly.

That's not really a surprise. Tim often stayed in El Paso during the summers and wasn't around during much of his career. Not to mention how beloved DePaul was back in the day.

But DePaul not bringing Strick back is a joke.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:10 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

That's not really a surprise. Tim often stayed in El Paso during the summers and wasn't around during much of his career. Not to mention how beloved DePaul was back in the day.

But DePaul not bringing Strick back is a joke.

Hardaway would always play in the Pro-Am though. Even going back to UTEP. that is where I first heard of him. And when he got to the league he'd always play in it too. To me Strickland always has seemed like a cool dude on and off the floor. I think that's why a lot of guys rock with him here. I know you knkow Hardaway but I don't think a lot of people ever got that feeling from him. Could be wrong though. Not a bad guy, but just a little stand offish to people not in his circle. Strick always seemed like the type of guy that never changed even after he made the league.
One of the guys I know told him he was a better point guard back in the day than Strick back in the day. Everyone just started laughing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:51 pm 

Tim was always quiet. Not to mention that he rarely played on the homemade rims we would play on in alleys and empty parking lots. Everyone was happy for him and saw him as a friend and good guy. But the reality is that he never went anywhere where he got lots of shine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:01 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Tim was always quiet. Not to mention that he rarely played on the homemade rims we would play on in alleys and empty parking lots. Everyone was happy for him and saw him as a friend and good guy. But the reality is that he never went anywhere where he got lots of shine.

First time I ever heard of him was the summer going into his Junior year at UTEP. He played at IIT and came at Jordan. Gave him 50 or 60. I wasn't there but everyone in the neighborhood kept calling him Tim Holiway. They kept talking about he was "killing Jordan" and talking cash shit to him too. . I think that was the end of the summer so he was done there but I made a point to try and get up on him after that. I went and bought a few of the hoop books (Street and Smith's/Vitale) trying to get a gauge on what the buzz was on him. His numbers up until then weren't outstanding considering all of the city juice he was gaining. After that Sophomore year he took off and never looked back.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:22 pm 

loved both and wouldn't recognize either if they were sitting next to me