It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reggie Jackson
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

Circa 1981. My old college roommate was the then-PR guy for the Warriors and he gave me a seat behind the basket on the floor for Warriors-Lakers in the (original) Oakland Coliseum. Warriors vs. the Magic/Kareem Lakers. He didn't tell me that he had given the ticket for the seat next to me to Reggie (and his blonde bimbo). Reggie is a very funny guy and a few funny things happened: 1) Before the game I was in the press room with my friend and met Chick Hearn. During the game, the TV cameras apparently showed Reggie talking to me. Apparently Chick wondered aloud on the air who the guy was he met in the press room that was with Reggie. His broadcast mate Lynn Shackelford, then the Lakers TV analyst, suggested I was probably one of Reggie's agents. I didn't know this was happening, but a buddy of mine in LA was watching the game on the tube and apparently spit out his bong when he saw/heard this. 2) Reggie offered to buy me a beer early in the game. When he reached into his pocket, he realized he had come to the game (he lived in Oakland) without cash. This was pre-ATM days. So I bought Reggie several beers during the game. And he reciprocated with a nice dinner for me and my pal at Reggie's Soul Food Restaurant. 3) Little kids surrounded Reggie for his autograph. A couple of them asked me "are you somebody famous"? 4) Former A's pitcher Mike Norris walked by. Reggie and Norris exchanged pleasantries. Then Reggie said to me..."Mike Norris, best coke in the American League."

Those are the kinds of things you just don't forget.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:42 am 

Just to show you how old you are coast, my first introduction to Reggie Jackson was during his appearance on Different Strokes. Reggie did pushups with Gary Coleman on his back. Good episode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:14 am 
1000 CLUB

I got the Reggie Jackson Whiffle ball pitch (it actually would fling the ball) and hit set for my 4th birthday. My Uncles took it from me and played homerun derby for the rest of the day.

Different Strokes, that show made me afraid to go into a bicycle shop. I was too young to really understand the message of that episode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:17 pm 

After a Sox/Angels game in 1983, I saw Reggie boarding the team bus. I asked him to autograph my ball. He told me to go fuck myself. After exchanging some explitives,(I was a little drinky) I heard a voice say, "I'll sign for you." I said, "Who are you?" He then introduced himself. Turns out it was 300 game winner Don Sutton. After removing my foot from my mouth, I thanked him. Pretty sureal experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Different Strokes, that show made me afraid to go into a bicycle shop. I was too young to really understand the message of that episode.

was that the one where the kid got kidnapped?? Man, i will remember that show forever, and was one of the driving forces behind my kid's "stranger danger" lessons...that and the being a responsible parent. *yeah right* :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Quote:

was that the one where the kid got kidnapped?? Man, i will remember that show forever, and was one of the driving forces behind my kid's "stranger danger" lessons...that and the being a responsible parent. *yeah right* :lol:

If memory serves me correctly, the bicycle shop owner was really "touchy" with Dudley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

The bike shop owner was played by Gordon Jump, better known as Mr Carlson from WKRP. As a kid I remember thinking, "Why does Mr Carlson want Arnold and Dudley to jump up and down on the bed in their underwear?"

I hated those "very special" episodes. I remember one where they were making fun of a kid who had a seizure, then the maid yelled at them and told them that she had epilepsy. I wanted Arnold to say, "Bitch, shut the f*ck up and make me some eggs!"

Let's do it for Johnny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:17 am 

Dallas Winston wrote:
I hated those "very special" episodes. !"

What you talkin bout Mrs. Regan?