It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MJ
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Really easy to see why you hate Jerry Reinsdorf, bigfan!!

:roll:

That was you that said I hate Jerry...or did you forget that?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Around the summer of 2000 I was invited by a client to play golf at Bob O'Link GC in Highland Park, which is just about the most anti-PC club out there (Butler National has open arms compared to this place). I was sitting in the lounge a few minutes before others in my group arrived and noticed the guy at the table next to me was MJ. He politely asked if he could change the channel on the TV because he wanted to see how his friend was playing (turned out to be Tiger). Just as I was about to get up the nerve to strike up a conversation, in rolled Bob O'Links' most famous member, Da Coach, and Jordan left.

MJ was in the foursome ahead of us, and my recollection was that the ball exploded off his club with very little apparent effort, but the accuracy wasn't there. He was poking out of the trees a lot.

Later I heard that Jordan had bought memberships to half a dozen premier clubs in the area -- I guess even the old crusty guys liked having MJ as a member.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Around the summer of 2000 I was invited by a client to play golf at Bob O'Link GC in Highland Park, which is just about the most anti-PC club out there (Butler National has open arms compared to this place). I was sitting in the lounge a few minutes before others in my group arrived and noticed the guy at the table next to me was MJ. He politely asked if he could change the channel on the TV because he wanted to see how his friend was playing (turned out to be Tiger). Just as I was about to get up the nerve to strike up a conversation, in rolled Bob O'Links' most famous member, Da Coach, and Jordan left.

MJ was in the foursome ahead of us, and my recollection was that the ball exploded off his club with very little apparent effort, but the accuracy wasn't there. He was poking out of the trees a lot.

Later I heard that Jordan had bought memberships to half a dozen premier clubs in the area -- I guess even the old crusty guys liked having MJ as a member.

Jordan is even in a Jewish Country Club. Yes, he transcends all groups.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
bigfan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

What do people do in a Jewish Country Club? Play canasta & go for a shvitz?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Shortly after retirement, MJ was really working on his golf game, and was invited to play in the Western Amateur, then held annually at a private club near here. A guy a year behind me in high school, one of the very few minorities in my small, parochial school, and whom I had beaten out of the starting 2 guard spot by sheer hustle and maternal annoyance factor, was asked to caddy for Mike. Jeff, the caddy had looped at the course during high school, and was the perfect choice- personality loaded. He and Mike hit it off, and spent several days more or less holed up in the local hotel penthouse, watching movies and eating room service. Jeff later regaled us with stories of hangin with MJ, and later playing golf with him several more times. Always shocked at how hard he had to work to hang onto any thread of privacy he could, sad, almost.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Colonel Angus wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

What do people do in a Jewish Country Club? Play canasta & go for a shvitz?

Hey Wang, I think this club is restricted.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way