It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Roids.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:28 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Zizou wrote:
Fischer's greatness is relative and lasted for about 2 years. He was scared of playing Karpov and was still in his prime. What kind of a champion acts like that? Fischer could play white every match and Carlsen would wipe the floor with him.

Fischer was ahead of his time in every respect in chess. He knew the openings, particularly, the Najdorf variation of the Sicilian, better than anyone. On the White side, he played e4 primarily, which is considered the best opening. He was just super efficient with his play, and knew the styles of former champions, like Capablanca his favorite, as well as anyone. Fischer was the giant that stood on former giants like Capablaca, Alekhine, Stenitz and Lasker. When the Russians dominated the chess world between '48 and the early to mid 60s, Fischer came along and stomped them all, and helped break the Soviet Union in the process. The guy was unbelievable.

Interestingly, the question I posed Karpov was about the time he met Fischer in Spain, while they were negotiating their World Championship match. I don't have the impression at all that Fischer dodged Karpov, he was agreeable toward him. Fisher was always mentally unstable as certain geniuses are, and chess geniuses are the worst of them all (if you want to read about how to go crazy by playing chess, look at "die Schachnovelle" by Stefan Zweig), and when the world championship organizers and Karpov wouldn't agree to his term about a match-tie keeping him champion, he told them to kiss off and wasn't seen for many years.

It's too soon to make any conclusions about Carlsen. The fact that Kasparov coached him is telling. But there are certain players that have his number, like Vassily Ivanchuk, who's another nut. Would be great to see Nakamura play Carlsen in a world championship match.

That's why I used the term "relative." Forty years of tactics and strategy have come along since Fischer was in his prime. Do not forgot the advent of computers and their use in the game for analysis and preparation. Carlsen hasn't hit his own prime yet. Carlsen could weather the opening game and turn the tide against Fischer in the middle game. I doubt Fischer could even beat Anand. You honestly don't think he dodged Karpov? Fischer, while a genius, was a big crybaby and outside of the match against Spassky in '92 never played publicly against any masters, always claiming the game was stale or there was no one worthy of him as an opponent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I never thought Fischer ducked Karpov. He was just a weird guy. Once he beat Spassky it was like, "is that all there is?" I think he just came untethered mentally and emotionally.