It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
rogers park bryan wrote:
spanky wrote:
Darkside wrote:
I went to Eastern Illinois University you dope. I've talked about it countless times on this boards, even went at the same time as a couple board guys (I think I missed Don Tiny by a couple years)

Darko went to EIU the exact same years my wife did.

He even hung out with some of the exact same people in the same places as my wife at the time, although they allegedly did not know each other back then.
You can imagine the potential nightmare scenarios in my brain that are waiting to be uncovered........ :lol: :silent: :drunken:

Wow. He also hung out with my daughter's Uncle. Sounds like DS was BMOC

Yeah, we went on a road trip to Toronto one year... checking out the Hockey Hall of Fame. CN Tower. Fun guy, pretty cool fella.
Nah, I was no BMOC. Its a crazy small world, man, it never ceases to amaze me.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You'd think if he truly thought that this violated their constitutional rights he'd say so.

he implied the legality was uncertain, which is what I what I thought I said in the first place. granted i read the article in about 30 seconds five hours previous.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Darkside wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
spanky wrote:
Darkside wrote:
I went to Eastern Illinois University you dope. I've talked about it countless times on this boards, even went at the same time as a couple board guys (I think I missed Don Tiny by a couple years)

Darko went to EIU the exact same years my wife did.

He even hung out with some of the exact same people in the same places as my wife at the time, although they allegedly did not know each other back then.
You can imagine the potential nightmare scenarios in my brain that are waiting to be uncovered........ :lol: :silent: :drunken:

Wow. He also hung out with my daughter's Uncle. Sounds like DS was BMOC

Yeah, we went on a road trip to Toronto one year... checking out the Hockey Hall of Fame. CN Tower. Fun guy, pretty cool fella.
Nah, I was no BMOC. Its a crazy small world, man, it never ceases to amaze me.

What years were you there?

Where'd you live?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
SomeGuy wrote:
What years were you there?

Where'd you live?

Carmen Hall in 95, Taylor in 96, and 9th St. Apartments from then on...
Mainly hung out at Stus, Styx, and some place downtown called I think Mothers??? when not hanging out at those house parties.
Many a party at the Spillway. Sunday brunch at the Sizzler in Mattoon.
I had a cousin at SIU and another at U of I so we'd go to either place to party from time to time. Got tear gassed at SIU on Halloween in 95 or 96. Good times.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:21 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You'd think if he truly thought that this violated their constitutional rights he'd say so.

he implied the legality was uncertain, which is what I what I thought I said in the first place. granted i read the article in about 30 seconds five hours previous.
What you said was the law would generally not be in your favor.
Hatchetman wrote:
NU President had an op-ed in the WSJ today about this. Said you have to be real careful infringing on free speech as the law will generally not be in your favor.

I would guess this case would rely more on the interpretation of the code of conduct rather than if the Constitution protects you from being punished for anything you say. We can list thousands of examples of how we know that isn't true.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:06 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
Boss: I need to talk to you for a minute.

Me: FUCK YOU, YOU BLACK Caller Bob!

Boss: What the fuck? You're fired!

Me: See you in court! I have freedom of speech!

No matter how much you dont like Steve, posting direct quotes from off the board is over the line, imo

After your thoughts on KI I think the board should be wary of your opinion on all manner of things.

K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
rogers park bryan wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
Boss: I need to talk to you for a minute.

Me: FUCK YOU, YOU BLACK Caller Bob!

Boss: What the fuck? You're fired!

Me: See you in court! I have freedom of speech!

No matter how much you dont like Steve, posting direct quotes from off the board is over the line, imo

After your thoughts on KI I think the board should be wary of your opinion on all manner of things.

K

It's a long road to self awareness and redemption, RPB. It's a path fraught with peril, scares and uncertainty.

The journey is a long one, a million miles, with the first step being to agree with SomeGuy.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Bagels wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

I have never said that any group should be denied the right to free speech and this group should not be denied that right either.

THEY AREN'T BEING DENIED THE RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH

Being expelled for practicing one's right to free speech infringes upon that right.

I've had a lot of experience with semantics, so don't try to lure me into some maze of circular logic

You know, I could've killed you, and no one would've known.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:31 am 

Will Ferrell on Fraternities: Maybe Just Get Rid of Them?

Vox populi Will Ferrell took a bold stance this week by saying the obvious: racist-as-hell fraternities (and sororities) are in and of themselves a reason to get rid of the greek system.

Ferrell was responding to a New York Times Q&A when he reached the question about the Greek system, a nationwide program that apparently helps universities identify their best and brightest racists for preferential housing options.

Q. Will, we are fraternity brothers of Delta Tau Delta, albeit different chapters and years. The recent awful situation with SAE has brought out the "frat haters" in droves. Could you comment on your own fraternity experience and why (or why not) fraternity membership is still a worthy consideration for a college student? —Stephen Browning,

Seattle

A.The incident in Oklahoma, that is a real argument for getting rid of the system altogether, in my opinion, even having been through a fraternity. Because when you break it down, it really is about creating cliques and clubs and being exclusionary. Fraternities were started as academic societies that were supposed to have a philanthropic arm to them. And when it's governed by those kind of rules, then they're still beneficial. But you gotta be careful. I was lucky in that the one I was in, we were really kind of the anti-fraternity fraternity. We were considered good enough to get the exchanges with the good sororities. We couldn't get anyone to vote on anything, but if you needed 40 guys to show up and build a 20-foot-tall papier-mâchéversion of the Matterhorn, we were there and ready. But we didn't take it too seriously. It was just about having fun. But I think it's an interesting dilemma for universities these days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8