It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Brian Williams
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Chus wrote:
Chus wrote:
hnd wrote:
if none of this has helped you see this difference between the 2 people and their occupational and social positions, i don't see how anything else is going to help. its not about truthfulness. thats not what any of this is about. if you think stations give 2 shits about that, god help you. its about ratings...the nightly news is in an everlasting ratings war with cbs and abc. these decisions are not moral decisions, they are strategic business decisions. bill has twice the ratings of cnn/msnbc. msnbc is failing miserably and cnn is like fox's little brother is some of the retardation they air. fox is not in any position to lose viewers so why in the hell would they change anything?

I understand the differences in their jobs, but I still don't know what ratings has to do with anything. When the Williams stuff first broke, O'Reilly went on TV, and proclaimed that both men had an important job that included telling the truth. He even cited the founding fathers, you know, cuz 'murica. Once the stories about O'Reilly telling numerous lies starting popping up everywhere, his tune changed, and now he was just hosting an opinion show. He wants it both ways.

Thank you for admitting that FOX is just full of shit.

hnd wrote:
i guess i just can't help you with the ratings stuff. why are they different? ratings. why are ratings important? because it shows they are different.

I understand that network news has a larger audience. In my world, it's important for an outlet that thinks of themselves as a fair and balanced news organization, to be truthful, no matter the size of their audience. Fox promoting the false idea of "no-go zones" in what can only be described as a way to scare their audience into believing that the president is weak, is just as bad as Williams embellishing his stories.

I think you are greatly overstating the social impact of network news. This isn't the old days, where everybody is sitting in front of the TV, watching the nightly news. The internet, and social media changed that a long time ago.

hnd wrote:
and for the record...

1. i've never insinuated that fox was not and

Unfortunately, we have people here who try to quote FOX as some sort of serious source.

hnd wrote:
2. pssssst. they are all full of shit. your attraction to fox is off putting.

I guess I just can't help you understand my point, which was never about FOX. It's about an obvious double standard. If you disagree, fine. But, take your insulting tone somewhere else.

it has to be about fox vs nbc because of the context of who these 2 people work for. it IS about fox. It has to be involved to actually discuss the differences between these 2 people. Also nevermind in my short time here, you've railed on Fox news pretty regularly but i've not seen you give any other "news" outlet that much criticism. if "it's important for an outlet that thinks of themselves as a fair and balanced news organization, to be truthful, no matter the size of their audience. " was true, i'd expect to see more broader fact checking scope.

overstating the impact of nightly news? nbc nightly news is in the top 5 of viewership EVERY DAY in the US. its still very relevant.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:55 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
I enjoy Fox News.

What is it that you enjoy about it? To say absolutely nothing about the content, the presentation is unbearable: loud music, overwrought graphics, everything meant to be "in-your-face," it's a sensory assault. On second thought, maybe that is saying something about the content.

reminds me of this...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/vince-mcmahons-xspan-promises-bonecrunching-legisl,419/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
hnd wrote:
it has to be about fox vs nbc because of the context of who these 2 people work for.

It was always about Bill O'Reilly, especially after he got on his soap box, to bitch about Brian Williams.

hnd wrote:
it IS about fox. It has to be involved to actually discuss the differences between these 2 people.

You made it about FOX, by bringing up the viewership. You claimed that FOX shouldn't held to the same standard, because they have a smaller audience.

hnd wrote:
Also nevermind in my short time here, you've railed on Fox news pretty regularly but i've not seen you give any other "news" outlet that much criticism. if "it's important for an outlet that thinks of themselves as a fair and balanced news organization, to be truthful, no matter the size of their audience. " was true, i'd expect to see more broader fact checking scope.

You've been here a short time, but you have me all figured out, huh? :lol: I'm living in PittMike's head full time. I have no desire for a second residence.

My criticisms of FOX are due to their outright lies. If another network lied as often as they did, I would have the same strong negative opinion. However, I will probably see a unicorn, before I see any of the network or cable news outlets get to that level.

hnd wrote:
overstating the impact of nightly news? nbc nightly news is in the top 5 of viewership EVERY DAY in the US. its still very relevant.

I didn't say people aren't watching, but that you have overstated their impact. Viewership of nightly news has been dropping since the 80's. As the baby boomers start dying out, I suspect their viewership will drop even more.

People are getting their news from other sources. I can't believe you would dispute that.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Last edited by Chus on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:18 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
That people feel betrayed by Brian Williams but not Bill O'Reilly just reinforces how sick people are of Fox News and their rampant lying/agitating. When O'Reilly talks about his responsibility to tell the truth, everyone knows (or should know) he's full of shit. If there's a double standard regarding Fox News, it's because no one bothers giving Fox News a standard to meet anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Curious Hair wrote:
That people feel betrayed by Brian Williams but not Bill O'Reilly just reinforces how sick people are of Fox News and their rampant lying/agitating. When O'Reilly talks about his responsibility to tell the truth, everyone knows (or should know) he's full of shit. If there's a double standard regarding Fox News, it's because no one bothers giving Fox News a standard to meet anymore.

You're making zero sense here, CH.

Brian Williams was (apparently) trusted by viewers and the general public of deliver the news and telling the truth. That's what his job was, right? He didn't have a widely viewed opinion and sensationalism show and that is the difference between him and O'Reilly. Bill O. has an opinion show to deliver salacious sensationalism and editorials to a wide audience, it's a talk show for all intents and purposes regardless of what Bill himself says. Two different people tasked with delivering two different things on two different stations. That's why the public and such took such offense at what Brain Williams did and why no one really cares what Bill O. said/says or does. Williams was the competent and trusted reader of the teleprompter and Bill O. is a blowhard with a very large bullhorn. Bill is entertainment and Brian was.the.big.boy.news. Right or wrong that's the straight dope.

If you can't trust Brian Williams then who can you trust? If you trust Bill O' Reilly you should probably reevaluate your life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
SomeGuy wrote:
If you can't trust Brian Williams then who can you trust?

exactly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Chus wrote:
hnd wrote:
it has to be about fox vs nbc because of the context of who these 2 people work for.

It was always about Bill O'Reilly, especially after he got on his soap box, to bitch about Brian Williams.

hnd wrote:
it IS about fox. It has to be involved to actually discuss the differences between these 2 people.

You made it about FOX, by bringing up the viewership. You claimed that FOX shouldn't held to the same standard, because they have a smaller audience.

hnd wrote:
Also nevermind in my short time here, you've railed on Fox news pretty regularly but i've not seen you give any other "news" outlet that much criticism. if "it's important for an outlet that thinks of themselves as a fair and balanced news organization, to be truthful, no matter the size of their audience. " was true, i'd expect to see more broader fact checking scope.

You've been here a short time, but you have me all figured out, huh? :lol: I'm living in PittMike's head full time. I have no desire for a second residence.

My criticisms of FOX are due to their outright lies. If another network lied as often as they did, I would have the same strong negative opinion. However, I will probably see a unicorn, before I see any of the network or cable news outlets get to that level.

hnd wrote:

I didn't say people aren't watching, but that you have overstated their impact. Viewership of nightly news has been dropping since the 80's. As the baby boomers start dying out, I suspect their viewership will drop even more.

People are getting their news from other sources. I can't believe you would dispute that.

I don’t' think we are getting anywhere. Neither one of us are apparently understanding the other and will end up or already have just feel the other is an idiot. You keep imagining all this is about journalistic integrity but its not. it should be. yes we agree but its not. if this was all kept internal, brian williams would still be broadcasting today. the size of either's viewing audience as well as their competition is necessary in evaluating risk. that’s why its important. Bill is WWE while Brian is Olympic Wrestling.

as far as pittmike, I have no idea what you are talking about. I have no desire to "figure you out" but you lay it out fairly easily, there isn't much figuring. Your biased is well noted and you are most certainly entitled to them.

yeah people get news other places, whatever. nightly news programs still dominate nightly ratings so to discount them as irrelevant is silly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
hnd wrote:
Chus wrote:
hnd wrote:

hnd wrote:

hnd wrote:

hnd wrote:

I don’t' think we are getting anywhere. Neither one of us are apparently understanding the other and will end up or already have just feel the other is an idiot. You keep imagining all this is about journalistic integrity but its not. it should be. yes we agree but its not. if this was all kept internal, brian williams would still be broadcasting today. the size of either's viewing audience as well as their competition is necessary in evaluating risk. that’s why its important. Bill is WWE while Brian is Olympic Wrestling.

as far as pittmike, I have no idea what you are talking about. I have no desire to "figure you out" but you lay it out fairly easily, there isn't much figuring. Your biased is well noted and you are most certainly entitled to them.

yeah people get news other places, whatever. nightly news programs still dominate nightly ratings so to discount them as irrelevant is silly.

I don't think you are an idiot.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5