It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WTMJ - Milwaukee
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
15 minutes into Blackhawks Overtime, the screen goes blank...and then this..

I understand blacking out games in certain areas, but in the OVERTIME??? It was OK to wach 3 periods and 15 minutes of 1 overtime....but some FCC Brain determined...yeah, thats enough...WE HAVE RULES>

and did they do it to replay a 'Charles in Charge" Episode? Nope.....they just kept this message up for the next hour...

Had to be over 100 Hawks fans in the bar at the Grand Geneva and the mob turned ugly!

Shout out to Grid Iron Assassin for directing me to the NBC streaming Video, which about 8 of us watched back in my room...

Post subject: Re: WTMJ - Milwaukee
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

I don't get this. It was a national broadcast on NBC. Why would it be blacked out in Milwaukee? Was it this way in other cities?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:32 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
NOMINATION SECONDED, THIRDED, FOURTHED, FIFTHED, MILLIONTHED.

I'm convinced whoever runs the LG headend is some small-minded Chicago-hating pindick, because Chicago sports games randomly got blacked out ALL THE DAMN TIME on channel 9 or ESPN without being pursuant to any blackout rules -- as far as baseball goes, 53147 and ZIPs to points east are all shared between the Cubs, White Sox, and Brewers. Also, CSN is listed as being on the cable system for Lake Geneva/Kenosha, but is nowhere to be seen in Lake Geneva. Years ago, I called and asked them what was up, and they said "I dunno." Fucking figure it out.

There's no excuse for blacking out a national telecast. None. That's a monumental fuckup and someone needs to get #fired after years of this shit. This isn't on the FCC, this is on some shithead at the controls locally.

EDIT: for reasons not worth explaining in detail, the entirety of Wisconsin is considered Minnesota Wild territory, though this would have zero bearing whatsoever on a national playoff telecast.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Curious Hair wrote:
NOMINATION SECONDED, THIRDED, FOURTHED, FIFTHED, MILLIONTHED.

I'm convinced whoever runs the LG headend is some small-minded Chicago-hating pindick, because Chicago sports games randomly got blacked out ALL THE DAMN TIME on channel 9 or ESPN without being pursuant to any blackout rules -- as far as baseball goes, 53147 and ZIPs to points east are all shared between the Cubs, White Sox, and Brewers. Also, CSN is listed as being on the cable system for Lake Geneva/Kenosha, but is nowhere to be seen in Lake Geneva. Years ago, I called and asked them what was up, and they said "I dunno." Fucking figure it out.

There's no excuse for blacking out a national telecast. None. That's a monumental fuckup and someone needs to get #fired after years of this shit. This isn't on the FCC, this is on some shithead at the controls locally.

Why so mad?

Don't you hate the Blackhawks?

LOL

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:37 pm 

Beardown wrote:
I don't get this. It was a national broadcast on NBC. Why would it be blacked out in Milwaukee? Was it this way in other cities?

Not blacked out in Milwaukee, just Lake Geneva, where there exists a great chasm between the transplants and the resentful local yokels, one of whom has a shitty job at Time Warner Cable, apparently.

Was this because the game was on channel 4 and channel 5 (LG gets Chicago and Milwaukee's over-the-air stations) so they blacked out channel 5 but not 4? or did they do both?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

I understand the black out rule for the NFL on noon games. When the other network has the prime time 3:25 game. Cuz they alternate each week. So you can't see Overtimes that go past 3:25 on CBS if FOX has that national game. They pay big bucks for these rights. They don't want to lose viewers.

I don't get this hockey thing. It's late at night in Milwaukee. Shouldn't NBC be pissed that they lost viewers?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:50 pm 

It's not in Milwaukee, Beardown. I presume they watched the game just fine if TMJ didn't opt out of the game altogether (and why would they? Milwaukee is regularly one of the NHL's top unserved television markets). This is in Lake Geneva, which gets its TV stations from Chicago and Milwaukee, but apparently Grand Geneva was unable to switch to Milwaukee's NBC affiliate, leading to an angry mob of tourists.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:52 pm 

All that is fine, but why allow the game at all to be shown? or like you said, did some Low level TW employee realize it in the OT?

I understand all the reasons it is on or isnt on, but to start showing it, then you decided...OK ENOUGH....and then didnt even show anything else???

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
It's not in Milwaukee, Beardown. I presume they watched the game just fine if TMJ didn't opt out of the game altogether (and why would they? Milwaukee is regularly one of the NHL's top unserved television markets). This is in Lake Geneva, which gets its TV stations from Chicago and Milwaukee, but apparently Grand Geneva was unable to switch to Milwaukee's NBC affiliate, leading to an angry mob of tourists.

Oh. Ok. Still don't get it.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:57 pm 

bigfan wrote:
All that is fine, but why allow the game at all to be shown? or like you said, did some Low level TW employee realize it in the OT?

I understand all the reasons it is on or isnt on, but to start showing it, then you decided...OK ENOUGH....and then didnt even show anything else???

I'm going with low-level employee realization. It was always applied haphazardly. Sometimes Cubs games were blacked out on channel 9 if they were playing the Brewers and FSN Wisconsin had the game, right in the middle of the game. Sometimes they did it with no Brewers conflict at all (not that it should have mattered -- it's Cubs territory). Probably the same thing. It's shitty.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
LOL

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Infusino's
Living in Racine, we have the same scenario with Time Warner Cable. We get the Chicago and Milwaukee feeds for NBC, CBS, and ABC. Whenever there is a national feed for something like The Tonight Show, the Chicago feed goes dark as it is considered Milwaukee's territory. So at 10:00 we can choose between all six local news broadcasts, but at 10:35 all three Chicago feeds have variations of the message saying this program in not available due to the prerogative of the Milwaukee stations. It is not unique to WTMJ and has been occurring for a few years. I'm guessing the second overtime coincided with the normal start time for Saturday Night Live which was probably preprogrammed to have NBC 5 go dark.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:16 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
That's terrible. Way to go Grid, good man!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:02 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

Grid travelling in Italy, so he was watching on the stream and sent me the message.

I would go nuts living in kenosha if they did that on shows.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:37 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
bigfan wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Grid travelling in Italy, so he was watching on the stream and sent me the message.

You would go nuts living here in Kenosha anyway BF. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:59 am 

T-Bone wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

You guys got 2 GREAT Italian Delis! Better than ANYTHING left in Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:01 am 

bigfan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

You guys got 2 GREAT Italian Delis! Better than ANYTHING left in Chicago.

Tenutas is great, I'd agree there. Not sure about the other one you are referencing. Kenosha really isn't that bad overall
in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:38 am 

Kenosha's not bad. Wouldn't be the worst deal in the world to live in that new development by the train station and work in the city, provided there's a train that runs express or close to it. If you have to make fifteen North Shore stops, forget it.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:48 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Kenosha's not bad. Wouldn't be the worst deal in the world to live in that new development by the train station and work in the city, provided there's a train that runs express or close to it. If you have to make fifteen North Shore stops, forget it.

Worked with an older guy who lived there, worked downtown...great guy Ole Jack...The man did the heavy lifting in our company. Went into companies we tried to pitch for business and asked why we didnt get it. Scouted our own backyard. Something I think EVERY Major company or TEAM should have

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:03 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah, I don't think there is such a thing. Appears that its about an hour and 40 minutes one way to Ogilvie in Chicago. 25 stops! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:11 pm 

When I'd go back to Lake Geneva after various sojourns, I usually took a Sunday night train up to Fox Lake making every single stop. It was a long 100 minutes, and we could never skip the Ingleside stop because someone always got off (or once, curiously, on). Maybe that person is the guy from Ingleside who drowned trying to save a cat.

I once took it up to Kenosha with an abundance of sailors (what's the collective noun for sailors? Let me consult An Exaltation of Larks) who were as drunk and loud a bunch as you'll ever share a Metra with. From Great Lakes to the end, it was a library. Uncanny.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:26 am 

I cannot think of an instance where I would contact fantasy football friends regarding the overtime portion of a game while I was in Europe.