It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:54 pm 

JLN,

As you may have gathered from our earlier encounters, I respect your intellect on a number of levels. Even though I really cannot help but disagree with your positions on the interpretation of the law, I recognize that your positions are consistent with those of a number of law professors, many of whom are ultimately as partisan as I can be in other political areas.

The power of the grade book afforded them safe haven when confronted on their often hypocritical positions and allowed them to shut down discourse. One of them happened to be one of the founders of the Federalist society, orhers in more social settings happened to be your favorite Justice and yet another was the then Solicitor General of the United States. The same arguments you're making against certain :wink: "activist" judges are somewhat similar to those they ham handedly made then, and for the same wink, nod political reasons you'd like to believe don't win the day in front of them.

They'd also argue specific language, until they couldn't, with their fallback always being "their" arrogant interpretation of original intent. Right up to the abomination and contradiction that is Citizens United. But I never heard the straight faced, full throated discussion of the constitutional power of the federal judiciary from them in the positions you've taken here

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:43 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
I disagree with a good deal of what JLN says, and I'm a big fan of Reader, but I can promise that just "being" a lawyer doesn't automatically mean that that individual is more knowledgeable than an amateur. Same goes for pretty much any profession. Reader happens to come off as a well-informed and thoughtful lawyer, but that's a different argument. I deal on a daily basis with lawyers who are braindead morons. I also talk to them IRL. :)

Get a brian moran! Us lawyers are reel smart.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
SpiralStairs wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
I disagree with a good deal of what JLN says, and I'm a big fan of Reader, but I can promise that just "being" a lawyer doesn't automatically mean that that individual is more knowledgeable than an amateur. Same goes for pretty much any profession. Reader happens to come off as a well-informed and thoughtful lawyer, but that's a different argument. I deal on a daily basis with lawyers who are braindead morons. I also talk to them IRL. :)

We have an entire 390+ page thread on this board dedicated to the concept that a person can be both a lawyer and a brain dead moron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:59 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

We have an entire 390+ page thread on this board dedicated to the concept that a person can be both a lawyer and a brain dead moron

:lol: :lol: