It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tucker Carlson
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:35 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Nas wrote:
Someone close to him has to tell him how bad he looks.

I'm sure his career isn't ruined by this one trip, but it should be.

Should it though? I mean, I'm reading a bunch of guys who have never been to Russia making authoritative statements denying the reporting of a guy who is actually in Russia. I say to myself, I'm not sure what the truth is, but obviously the people who have never been to Russia but have such strong opinions about it have been thoroughly informed or propagandized by someone. Again, I can't be sure which it is.

Do you have to see everything with your own eyes to determine if something is true?

No. But I don't think you can deny that the opinions expressed here about Russia aren't simply informed by facts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:41 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
If you believe Tucker's reporting, you should say that.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:

I'm not sure what I believe. Obviously, you believe someone's reporting. I don't think you've been in Moscow recently.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:06 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I'm not sure what I believe. Obviously, you believe someone's reporting. I don't think you've been in Moscow recently.

I don't believe you aren't sure what you believe. If you're afraid to share, it's okay to say that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I don't believe you aren't sure what you believe. If you're afraid to share, it's okay to say that.

Since I have no real idea myself, would you truthfully describe what life is like in Moscow is like so I can figure out what Carlson lied or exaggerated about?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Darkside wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Since I have no real idea myself, would you truthfully describe what life is like in Moscow is like so I can figure out what Carlson lied or exaggerated about?

Once you get that info can you give me a heads up? I need to figure out if I give a shit. Thx.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:19 am 

60% of Russians spend over half their salary on food according to a Russian government owned media source.

That's why people find his Supermarket Sweep video to be absurd.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I kind of want to kick Tucker out of the country.

Not all the way there yet but dipping my toe into those waters.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
https://www.theonion.com/russian-televi ... 1819565399

MOSCOW–The program has only been on the air for three weeks, but Russian citizens from Voronezh to Srednekolymsk are already swept up in the thrill of the nation's biggest runaway-hit game show, Who Wants To Eat A Meal?

Hosted by popular Russian TV personality Anatoly Ivaskevich, Who Wants To Eat A Meal? gives hungry contestants the chance to answer general-knowledge questions to win food items. Since its Oct. 26 premiere, it has quickly become the nation's most popular program, drawing even more viewers than the top-rated Let's Look At Food, in which images of food are displayed on screen.

"I would love to eat a meal," said devoted Who Wants viewer Sergei Kirasov, an unemployed Novgorod machinist who has submitted his name to the producers more than 600 times in hopes of becoming a contestant. "That is truly the Russian Dream."

Russian citizens are already well acquainted with the show's format: Every night at 8, cameras circle a sumptuous banquet table as announcer Leonid Pustovoitenko asks the studio audience, "Who… wants… to eat a meal?" Bayonet-wielding members of the Russian army then move in to protect the table from rioting audience members, who often storm the set with crude handmade weapons in a desperate attempt to seize a beet.

Once order is restored, 10 lucky Russians–who are brought to Moscow, courtesy of the show, by ox-cart—face off in a "fastest finger" round to determine who will sit in the "hot seat" in front of Ivaskevich to compete for the nutrient-containing jackpot. The advancing contestant is asked a series of increasingly difficult questions, each carrying a larger food prize, from a scrap of rotting cabbage to the grand prize of a one-course dinner for one. Stumped contestants can use one of three "lifelines"–polling the audience, writing a letter to a friend for help, or ingesting a packet of glucose syrup if they are losing consciousness due to hunger.

Though no contestant has yet won the top prize of a slice of boiled beef, an uncooked red potato and a scrap of bread, viewers have thrilled to the awarding of lesser prizes to contestants finishing partway up the prize ladder. Last Friday's installment drew blockbuster ratings as Nikolai Puchin, a 33-year-old Novokuznetsk-area peasant, walked away with a chicken bone after correctly identifying Sergei Eisenstein as the director of The Battleship Potemkin.

"Viewers are absolutely captivated by the show," said executive producer Oleg Medvedev. "To watch people get up there and have a chance at eating, it's a thrilling fantasy."

Still, some viewers complain that the questions are too easy.

"I watched the other day, and they ask the man to name year Trotsky is assassinated," said Svetlana Tretiak, an 83-year-old retired seamstress from Orsk, a tiny village in the Ural Mountains. "This is ridiculous. If food is on the line, I expect questions are more difficult than this."

Grigor Krupskaya of St. Petersburg agreed. "I know not where they get these contestants," he said. "So dumb. Friday, on show, they ask a man what Soviet gymnast win three gold medals in 1972 Olympics. And he needs lifeline to answer!"

"It is not so easy as it looks," said contestant Alexei Popovich, a 40-year-old Kursk farmer who quit the game with a bowl of borscht rather than risking it to win a larger prize. "I am sure it seems easy to people sitting at home, but when you are up there under the lights, and you know food is on the line, it is very different. You get very nervous: Your palms sweat, your stomach quivers, and your teeth fall out due to malnourishment and scurvy."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Nas wrote:
Someone close to him has to tell him how bad he looks.

I'm sure his career isn't ruined by this one trip, but it should be.

Should it though? I mean, I'm reading a bunch of guys who have never been to Russia making authoritative statements denying the reporting of a guy who is actually in Russia. I say to myself, I'm not sure what the truth is, but obviously the people who have never been to Russia but have such strong opinions about it have been thoroughly informed or propagandized by someone. Again, I can't be sure which it is.

Do you have to see everything with your own eyes to determine if something is true?

Like pdfs of emails

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I don't trust Tucker as much as I trust my wife, but I trust him more than I trust Rachel Maddow or NPR. How about that?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:57 am 

Bagels wrote:
https://www.theonion.com/russian-television-scores-hit-with-new-game-show-who-wa-1819565399

MOSCOW–The program has only been on the air for three weeks, but Russian citizens from Voronezh to Srednekolymsk are already swept up in the thrill of the nation's biggest runaway-hit game show, Who Wants To Eat A Meal?

Hosted by popular Russian TV personality Anatoly Ivaskevich, Who Wants To Eat A Meal? gives hungry contestants the chance to answer general-knowledge questions to win food items. Since its Oct. 26 premiere, it has quickly become the nation's most popular program, drawing even more viewers than the top-rated Let's Look At Food, in which images of food are displayed on screen.

"I would love to eat a meal," said devoted Who Wants viewer Sergei Kirasov, an unemployed Novgorod machinist who has submitted his name to the producers more than 600 times in hopes of becoming a contestant. "That is truly the Russian Dream."

Russian citizens are already well acquainted with the show's format: Every night at 8, cameras circle a sumptuous banquet table as announcer Leonid Pustovoitenko asks the studio audience, "Who… wants… to eat a meal?" Bayonet-wielding members of the Russian army then move in to protect the table from rioting audience members, who often storm the set with crude handmade weapons in a desperate attempt to seize a beet.

Once order is restored, 10 lucky Russians–who are brought to Moscow, courtesy of the show, by ox-cart—face off in a "fastest finger" round to determine who will sit in the "hot seat" in front of Ivaskevich to compete for the nutrient-containing jackpot. The advancing contestant is asked a series of increasingly difficult questions, each carrying a larger food prize, from a scrap of rotting cabbage to the grand prize of a one-course dinner for one. Stumped contestants can use one of three "lifelines"–polling the audience, writing a letter to a friend for help, or ingesting a packet of glucose syrup if they are losing consciousness due to hunger.

Though no contestant has yet won the top prize of a slice of boiled beef, an uncooked red potato and a scrap of bread, viewers have thrilled to the awarding of lesser prizes to contestants finishing partway up the prize ladder. Last Friday's installment drew blockbuster ratings as Nikolai Puchin, a 33-year-old Novokuznetsk-area peasant, walked away with a chicken bone after correctly identifying Sergei Eisenstein as the director of The Battleship Potemkin.

"Viewers are absolutely captivated by the show," said executive producer Oleg Medvedev. "To watch people get up there and have a chance at eating, it's a thrilling fantasy."

Still, some viewers complain that the questions are too easy.

"I watched the other day, and they ask the man to name year Trotsky is assassinated," said Svetlana Tretiak, an 83-year-old retired seamstress from Orsk, a tiny village in the Ural Mountains. "This is ridiculous. If food is on the line, I expect questions are more difficult than this."

Grigor Krupskaya of St. Petersburg agreed. "I know not where they get these contestants," he said. "So dumb. Friday, on show, they ask a man what Soviet gymnast win three gold medals in 1972 Olympics. And he needs lifeline to answer!"

"It is not so easy as it looks," said contestant Alexei Popovich, a 40-year-old Kursk farmer who quit the game with a bowl of borscht rather than risking it to win a larger prize. "I am sure it seems easy to people sitting at home, but when you are up there under the lights, and you know food is on the line, it is very different. You get very nervous: Your palms sweat, your stomach quivers, and your teeth fall out due to malnourishment and scurvy."

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I don't trust Tucker as much as I trust my wife, but I trust him more than I trust Rachel Maddow or NPR. How about that?

What does NPR or Maddow have to do with Tucker Goes to Russia?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

On what are you basing your views on Russia?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:09 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I read The Cardinal of the Kremlin 7 or 8 times.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:52 pm 

Regular Reader would be proud of JORR’s “stay out of Russia’s business if you don’t live there” stance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

KDdidit wrote:
Regular Reader would be proud of JORR’s “stay out of Russia’s business if you don’t live there” stance.

:lol: I'm just pointing out that whatever you believe about Russia you "learned" from someone else. If you're going to bash Tucker, you should first examine who that person is and why you believe them to be more credible than Tucker.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:58 pm 

I’m good just bashing Tucker because he’s a doofus.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

It's probably like crawling through an attic or crawl space that has fiberglass insulation naked. I imagine you would love it, mate.

It's not about any individual opinion. It's about the totality of his presentation. If a guy that had never left Wisconsin travels to Chicago and says, "Chicago has the most beautiful women in the world," I'm not going to beat the guy up. I recognize there is probably a little hyperbole involved, and his world has been limited to the "women" of Wisconsin. So, when Tucker says Russia has better architecture and food than anywhere in America, I'll disagree, but ultimately shrug my shoulders at something that is subjective.

Tucker showed Putin a level of grace we haven't seen him show any American president that he's covered. He doesn't object to any of Putin's actions because America does bad things too. By itself, that is odd, but it's possible that Putin is very charming, and Tucker is sympathetic. Again, something you could dismiss as simple pandering.

He marvels at the cleanliness of a train station. The footage of this train station appeared to be limited and I'm sure the Russian government handpicked the location. Again, no big deal if he doesn't decide to shit on America with his coverage. Most people have left the country, and some have traveled to shithole countries. If you never leave your hotel, resort, or most tourist areas, you'll probably have a mostly favorable view of its condition. Similar to people who visit from other states or countries and stay exclusively in downtown Chicago.

His travel to a grocery store was different. It was clear within a few seconds that Tucker Carlson hadn't been grocery shopping in at least a decade. I suspect it's been multiple decades. He was shocked that you could put a coin in a cart. I guess he's never seen that technology in America. He made sure to shit homeless Americans when discussing this unique to Russia technology. It didn't end there. He went on to buy what he alleged was a week's worth of groceries. Groceries that he estimated would cost AT LEAST $400 in America. Those groceries cost $100 in Russia. Now, even if you believe that there may be a 300% inflation or Biden markup in America, you could look at the groceries he was purchasing and conclude there was a 0% chance those items would cost $400 anywhere in America. If you've managed to visit grocery stores outside of America, you will recognize that some familiar products may be priced differently. Sometimes, they are more expensive and sometimes they are cheaper. Other than something like a phone charger, you'll rarely see a 300%+ markup.

His propaganda piece can't be called MAGA reporting. Tucker is really good when it comes to presentation and crafting a narrative. This piece will appeal to any American hating person who is COMPLETELY ignorant about the world. Others will immediately recognize what it is. SOME of those will pause and question some of Tucker's other opinions. Others will just dismiss this as a one off thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

None of this is about a view of Russia. It's about the recognition of clumsy propaganda and the reality that someone may be compromised. Did Tucker plant the seeds for every view you have about Russia?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:04 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

:lol: I'm just pointing out that whatever you believe about Russia you "learned" from someone else. If you're going to bash Tucker, you should first examine who that person is and why you believe them to be more credible than Tucker.
https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/greedy-associates/tucker-carlson-successfully-argues-nobody-really-believes-tucker-carlson-is-reporting-facts/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:13 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
I’m good just bashing Tucker because he’s a doofus.

This is the best post in this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

The imagery of the train station, the focus on Lenin, and the music made me want to cancel all aide to Ukraine and leave NATO.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Cardinal of the Kremlin is one of the weakest Tom Clancy books, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by Warren Newson on Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:25 pm 
100000 CLUB

You can quote Warren on that. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Nas wrote:
You can quote Warren on that. :wink:

You beat me to it. Damn!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:23 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Before this Putin thing, yea. Now? I don't see Rachel going off on how much America sucks. Tucker Carlson is a fucking traitor. Fuck that shit hole mouth.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:25 pm 

Brick wrote:
60% of Russians spend over half their salary on food according to a Russian government owned media source.

That's why people find his Supermarket Sweep video to be absurd.

Makes sense. Americans spend a similar amount on food, then bitch that it's too expensive. The difference is they're eating at restaurants.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:

None of this is about a view of Russia. It's about the recognition of clumsy propaganda and the reality that someone may be compromised. Did Tucker plant the seeds for every view you have about Russia?

I'm agnostic on Russia, but I'm not terrified of Tucker interviewing its leader. A better question is, why are you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:56 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

I'm agnostic on Russia, but I'm not terrified of Tucker interviewing its leader. A better question is, why are you?

No one who has been here for the past 9 years believes you. You can continue trying to deflect from this reality, but it's about as effective as Tucker's propaganda piece. How long have you been a Russian asset?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next