It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
In response to a text saying "burrito should be spayed," Furminger wrote "I saw one an hour ago with 4 kids."

I've got some Kars 4 those Kids.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Being racist is not a violation of any law. It may be offensive to the politically correct set, but it's ridiculous that a University would expel any student for this. I hope they file suit against the University and win.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:02 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Being racist is not a violation of any law. It may be offensive to the politically correct set, but it's ridiculous that a University would expel any student for this. I hope they file suit against the University and win.

Code of conduct, dope.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:07 am 

his code of conduct is arresting minorities to win steak dinners.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:10 am 

Darkside wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Code of conduct, dope.

That would apply if their conduct included lynching someone, or burning a cross. But freedom of speech should be protected and if they want to say things that might be offensive to some, too bad. It was said in their frat house, not in a public place where it might incite anyone. Their little rap song did include lyrics that included hanging a nig-er but they were not seriously advocating hanging anyone. I think the University over-reacted, in an effort to placate those who were offended.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:13 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Code of conduct, dope.

That would apply if their conduct included lynching someone, or burning a cross. But freedom of speech should be protected and if they want to say things that might be offensive to some, too bad. It was said in their frat house, not in a public place where it might incite anyone. Their little rap song did include lyrics that included hanging a nig-er but they were not seriously advocating hanging anyone. I think the University over-reacted, in an effort to placate those who were offended.

You... really aren't all that bright, are you?
Freedom of speech protects them from criminal prosecution. That's it.
The University has its own policies that it is free to enforce, regardless of the protection of the 1st Amendment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:32 am 

Darkside wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Code of conduct, dope.

You... really aren't all that bright, are you?
Freedom of speech protects them from criminal prosecution. That's it.
The University has its own policies that it is free to enforce, regardless of the protection of the 1st Amendment.

Policies that infringe on constitutionally protected rights may not do so well in court.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:34 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Policies that infringe on constitutionally protected rights may not do so well in court.
It is terrifying that a former cop would have such a poor understanding here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:35 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Paint fumes probably don't help

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:35 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Maybe that's why he's not a cop anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
NU President had an op-ed in the WSJ today about this. Said you have to be real careful infringing on free speech as the law will generally not be in your favor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:41 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Wow. Ok, Steve. Have a white day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hatchetman wrote:
NU President had an op-ed in the WSJ today about this. Said you have to be real careful infringing on free speech as the law will generally not be in your favor.

Isn't that what Steve just said?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:43 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

are you suggesting steve is actually the president of NU? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:45 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Well he did move to the North Shore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:47 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Sometimes people focus on the messenger, rather than the message.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:48 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Both were bad though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:49 am 

I was mentioning something I happened to have just read.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:51 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Well he did move to the North Shore.

Stttrrrrreeeeeeeeeeettttttccccccccchhhhhhh

When I went to University, we had a student handbook. I'm sure there is one at OU. Now, I don't remember the specifics, but even back then there was a policy on this type of thing. You certainly could be disciplined for saying the kinds of things these kids said/did.

I imagine that any cop on the beat would get fired for suggesting that [redacted] should be hanged. Or say, a McDonalds worker as well. I'm not the constitutional scholar that Steve is but I don't believe those would be violations of the 1st Amendment.

Although certain language may be permitted legally, as in no criminal charges could be filed for such utterances, I am certain that there are consequences for behavior that would fall outside of typical code of conduct policies.

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

No, your message was pretty bad too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:58 am 

Darkside wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

No, your message was pretty bad too.

So the opinion of the Northwestern president was bad too then I guess :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:58 am 

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Congress can't make it illegal. A university can certainly make it an offense worth of suspension or expulsion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:59 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
So the opinion of the Northwestern president was bad too then I guess :roll:

I didn't read his opinion. Just yours, which was bad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:59 am 

From the article Hatch was referencing. Morton Shapiro,Really.Smart.President. of Northwestern.

Any attempt to hold people accountable for what they say will rile up the “free speech at any cost” advocates, but any defense of First Amendment rights will lead to campus unrest and hand-wringing. So where to draw that elusive line?

I’m not a lawyer; few university presidents are. But most of us have access to high-powered legal advisers. Sometimes state and federal laws are clear enough to make the decision, but usually they are not. And don’t expect to find agreement among your senior administrators. In a crisis the interests of those in student affairs, public relations, the legal counsel’s office, fundraising and faculty governance seldom align.

What’s a president to do? I have learned over 15 years in this job at two institutions that you better have a compelling reason to punish anyone—student, faculty member, staff member—for expressing his or her views, regardless of how repugnant you might find those views.

Freedom of speech doesn’t amount to much unless it is tested. And if the First Amendment doesn’t matter on college campuses, where self-expression is so deeply valued, why expect it to matter elsewhere?

A decade or so ago, I returned from Shabbat services at my synagogue to learn that a student had hung posters mocking the Holocaust Remembrance Day posters distributed in the dorms. The message had been turned into a celebration of Hitler’s birthday; the picture of concentration camp victims had for some reason been replaced by a marijuana leaf. It is hard to imagine a more disgusting display.

But here is the question we asked: Did the student hang those posters randomly, or instead single out the rooms of members of groups targeted by the Nazis such as Jews, blacks and gays? If it had been the latter, it might have constituted verbal assault. But it was the former, and in our view that was protected free speech. This wasn’t an easy decision, or perhaps the most expedient, but it was the right one.

Northwestern University’s student government recently approved a resolution requesting that the university divest from six companies that “are profiting off the illegal occupation of Palestinian lands.” Many alumni found this highly offensive. Meantime, a faculty member wrote a controversial op-ed that questioned new policies on relationships between professors and students.

It might be relevant to remind people that elected student representatives have every right to recommend whatever they want, just as the administration has every right not to abide by what they suggest, and aggrieved students have a process to adjudicate harassment charges against a faculty member. It seems inappropriate to me for a college president to comment on a student vote or faculty op-ed, but I understand why others might disagree.

While I wish there were accepted principles to guide every response, I don’t know of any. Presidents are regularly asked how we would have responded to a particular incident. When we deflect the question, some think we are closing ranks. But I’m often not sure what I would have done.

The context of an incident matters, and it is near impossible for outsiders to glean the facts during the public battles that ensue after a high-profile event. College community members deserve to be in a safe and supportive environment, and it is our job to nurture that environment.

Yet any time your actions supersede a defining national tenet such as free speech, you better be sure you are making the right call. Whatever the decision, critics will come out in force—with social media leading the way and making a trying situation even more challenging.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
spanky wrote:
Paint fumes probably don't help

Fumes? I'm pretty sure he's been eating the paint chips since he was a kid.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:01 pm 

So he didn't really say that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:04 pm 

Darkside wrote:
When I went to University, we had a student handbook. I'm sure there is one at OU. Now, I don't remember the specifics, but even back then there was a policy on this type of thing. You certainly could be disciplined for saying the kinds of things these kids said/did.

I imagine that any cop on the beat would get fired for suggesting that [redacted] should be hanged. Or say, a McDonalds worker as well. I'm not the constitutional scholar that Steve is but I don't believe those would be violations of the 1st Amendment.

Although certain language may be permitted legally, as in no criminal charges could be filed for such utterances, I am certain that there are consequences for behavior that would fall outside of typical code of conduct policies.

if a cop is "on the beat", he is in public. Apples to oranges comparison, same with a McDonalds worker.

Oh and I seem to remember you having gone to community college and not even graduating with an associates degree. So when you mention going to "University", it's pretty laughable. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:09 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
if a cop is "on the beat", he is in public. Apples to oranges comparison, same with a McDonalds worker.
Wasn't it on a party bus for a school sponsored organization?

How would McDonalds be "in public" but that isn't?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:10 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Oh and I seem to remember you having gone to community college and not even graduating with an associates degree. So when you mention going to "University", it's pretty laughable. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I went to Eastern Illinois University you dope. I've talked about it countless times on this boards, even went at the same time as a couple board guys (I think I missed Don Tiny by a couple years)
Community College? What the fuck are you talking about?
Also, the McDonalds worker is on Private Property working for a private employer.

Where are you with regard to the policies of certain golf courses that do not allow Women or peoples of certain ethnic backgrounds?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next