It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 48  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
cpguy wrote:
Those interested in making a donation to a worthy cause in the fight to find a cure for autism may do so here:

http://www.autismspeaks.org/

http://www.autism-society.org is more concerned with helping the people and families themselves and less concerned with windmill-tilting, for those inclined to assist in that manner. Think of it as the difference between hurricane relief and research toward eliminating hurricanes.

disclosure: I've worked w/ASA

I believe this is the first time I have said this, but I wish we had a Like button. Good work in this thread CH.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
cpguy wrote:
Those interested in making a donation to a worthy cause in the fight to find a cure for autism may do so here:

http://www.autism-society.org is more concerned with helping the people and families themselves and less concerned with windmill-tilting, for those inclined to assist in that manner. Think of it as the difference between hurricane relief and research toward eliminating hurricanes.

I believe this is the first time I have said this, but I wish we had a Like button. Good work in this thread CH.

That's funny, Little Crest said you should F___ off.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Chus wrote:
cpguy wrote:

I have no desire to go through all my posts to see if I did in fact say "all kids" but if in fact I said that then yes, that is not the case.

You have no desire to go through your posts, because that would require you to own up to your stupid comments, instead of trying to change the subject, as you have done when confronted.

cpguy wrote:
It is the case however, that kids that live in their own worlds (i.e. severe cases) are basically what society (and that neurologist) calls a zombie like state.

Nobody is arguing that life isn't difficult for kids who are severely affected by autism. You paint with a broad brush, as if every kid on the autism spectrum has the same developmental issues.

cpguy wrote:
Why does this board always go to the lowest common denominator with this ad hominem bullshit??

You are the lowest common denominator with your labeling, and painting with a broad brush that would make Elmhurst Steve and Chas proud.

I am a parent of a child on the autism spectrum. He is the sweetest, happiest, smartest, most loving little boy that anybody could ever wish to raise, and I wouldn't trade him for any other kid. Your ridiculous opinions are ignorant, and uninformed.

I am glad you feel that why about your child as well you should. I also have a nephew very similiar to that and I would describe him the same way. Sadly his sister has a much more severe case and falls into the "special" category.

My angst is aimed more at the relative lack of attention this issue gets in our society given the percentage of kids (and families) it is affecting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:39 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
cpguy wrote:

That's funny, Little Crest said you should F___ off.

That is pretty rude, don't you think? I thought I got along well with you and your boy.

Or did I teach him that? :oops:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Bad attempt at humor.

He did say " what the hell" the other day though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
We're always short Special Olympic basketball coaches in my SRA. Come volunteer coach in Cal City! SO State basketball was this weekend too, maybe if we had a better coach we'd be down there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
pittmike wrote:

OK Spaulding lets work this out then. Keeping in mind I have no opinion on vaccines but have done the regular routine with my kids nonetheless. We have some blame vaccines, some say pesticides, some say the numbers of autistic cases is over counted relatively (me), parallel antibody issues from mom and some say no problem whatsoever.

Shouldn't that amount of varied thoughts give some pause or thought about there being one cause like vaccines only?

Yes. I've never said it's vaccines only, or pesticides only, or food supply only. Could be all of them, could be a few of them, or could be none of them. Until we know for sure shouldn't we seek out those answers, and question what we do. And don't people have the right to ask those questions or protect themselves from what it could be without being considered nuts?

There are families and people that have had trouble with vaccinations. I don't see why people discount them or their experiences. I think we owe it to them and ourselves to figure out what happened and how to prevent it from happening again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

While I don't have kids and have never even given thought to this issue, it's not like the parents that decide against it are saying "I want my kids to get a sick."

I think most people who decide for it do it with no research or thought. They're told that's what you do, so they do it.

Once again, I know nothing about it other than what I've read in this thread. But I don't think parents who decide against it are evil.

Doesn't mean they've made the right decision. Just means they're doing what they think is right for their kids.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Spaulding wrote:
pittmike wrote:

OK Spaulding lets work this out then. Keeping in mind I have no opinion on vaccines but have done the regular routine with my kids nonetheless. We have some blame vaccines, some say pesticides, some say the numbers of autistic cases is over counted relatively (me), parallel antibody issues from mom and some say no problem whatsoever.

Shouldn't that amount of varied thoughts give some pause or thought about there being one cause like vaccines only?

Yes. I've never said it's vaccines only, or pesticides only, or food supply only. Could be all of them, could be a few of them, or could be none of them. Until we know for sure shouldn't we seek out those answers, and question what we do. And don't people have the right to ask those questions or protect themselves from what it could be without being considered nuts?

There are families and people that have had trouble with vaccinations. I don't see why people discount them or their experiences. I think we owe it to them and ourselves to figure out what happened and how to prevent it from happening again.

Ok fair.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I think this turned out to be a good thread overall.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:18 pm 

Nas wrote:

Agreed. You're welcome.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

Agreed. You're welcome.

Naturally I believe it was my presence.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:23 pm 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

Agreed. You're welcome.

True. You are usually wrong, but you're always interesting. Spmack says I aspire to be you on the board and it's not entirely inaccurate.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:27 pm 

Nice thread would be who do you want to be like or how would you emulate another poster.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

Agreed. You're welcome.

True. You are usually wrong, but you're always interesting. Spmack says I aspire to be you on the board and it's not entirely inaccurate.

:salut:

Trump '24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:32 pm 

FF should set up some polls and make some crazy predictions. :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
http://youtu.be/tIUeTYWretU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:55 am 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-me ... n-movement

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Spaulding wrote:
pittmike wrote:

How can you someone even argue with the highlighted portion of what Spaulding said?

Folks who go out of there way to ascribe ill will and malice towards families that avoid vaccinations for good reason speak volumes about themselves. When you've had a child that was permanently harmed by a vaccination, then feel free to ramble on.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:11 am 
100000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
pittmike wrote:

How can you someone even argue with the highlighted portion of what Spaulding said?

Folks who go out of there way to ascribe ill will and malice towards families that avoid vaccinations for good reason speak volumes about themselves. When you've had a child that was permanently harmed by a vaccination, then feel free to ramble on.

Isn't this what generally happens when someone has a very strong opinion about something?

Trump '24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

Agreed. You're welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:22 am 
100000 CLUB

:lol: :lol: What would Tyson do?

Trump '24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Keep in mind FavreFan was hammered last night. :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:48 am 
100000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:
Keep in mind FavreFan was hammered last night. :P

:x :x :x :x

Trump '24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:04 am 

The disease may remain manageable, but in more severe cases, lymph nodes in the neck may swell, and breathing and swallowing will be more difficult. People in this stage should seek immediate medical attention, as obstruction in the throat may require intubation or a tracheotomy. Abnormal cardiac rhythms can occur early in the course of the illness or weeks later, and can lead to heart failure. Diphtheria can also cause paralysis in the eye, neck, throat, or respiratory muscles. Patients with severe cases will be put in a hospital intensive care unit and be given a diphtheria antitoxin. Since antitoxin does not neutralize toxin that is already bound to tissues, delaying its administration is associated with an increase in mortality risk. Therefore, the decision to administer diphtheria antitoxin is based on clinical diagnosis, and should not await laboratory confirmation.

Antibiotics have not been demonstrated to affect healing of local infection in diphtheria patients treated with antitoxin. Antibiotics are used in patients or carriers to eradicate C. diphtheriae and prevent its transmission to others.

In cases that progress beyond a throat infection, diphtheria toxin spreads through the blood and can lead to potentially life-threatening complications that affect other organs, such as the heart and kidneys. The toxin can cause damage to the heart that affects its ability to pump blood or the kidneys' ability to clear wastes. It can also cause nerve damage, eventually leading to paralysis. About 40% to 50% of those left untreated can die.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:55 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I only read the first page, I know that nobody can pin point athe cause of autism ...so you can't really "debunk" anything , until you have the specific cause...maybe vaccinations play a role...nobody really knows for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:33 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Has it been proven that vaccinations cause autism?

No. There's not even any evidence to suggest such a connection.
This is the troubling thing here. People are literally ignoring science here. I only skimmed this thread, but it's an unsupportable position to say that vaccines cause autism. Now, is there an incredibly small but completely unknown possibility they do? Yes. However, we can't start making decisions based on completely unsupportable ideas. The repercussions would be catastrophic if we start letting amateur doctors and scientists start deciding that the unsupportable position they have is worth considering. Today, you may link autism and vaccines. Tomorrow, I may link fruits and lung cancer because a guy I know who ate a lot of fruit got lung cancer. Someone else may link leather and heart disease.

What we know is that if we stopped all vaccines today, hundreds of people would die, and then hundreds of thousands of people would die, and eventually, millions of people would die. That seems like quite a tradeoff because someone has some weak anecdotal evidence of something that goes against virtually all evidence.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

This is the troubling thing here. People are literally ignoring science here. I only skimmed this thread, but it's an unsupportable position to say that vaccines cause autism. Now, is there an incredibly small but completely unknown possibility they do? Yes. However, we can't start making decisions based on completely unsupportable ideas. The repercussions would be catastrophic if we start letting amateur doctors and scientists start deciding that the unsupportable position they have is worth considering. Today, you may link autism and vaccines. Tomorrow, I may link fruits and lung cancer because a guy I know who ate a lot of fruit got lung cancer. Someone else may link leather and heart disease.

What we know is that if we stopped all vaccines today, hundreds of people would die, and then hundreds of thousands of people would die, and eventually, millions of people would die. That seems like quite a tradeoff because someone has some weak anecdotal evidence of something that goes against virtually all evidence.

Spot on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Spot on.
Agreed. The funny thing is I kept thinking this thread has BRick written all over it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
NearWessSideHussra wrote:
Chus wrote:
Arthur Chu lost, after a ten day run as champion.

Wonder if they gamed him at all, maybe going with categories that played to his weakness? Ken Jennings said that they actually switched up the human who hits a button to "release" the contestants' buzzers to allow them to buzz-in to answer (on the last syllable of the clue) half-way through his reign, in an attempt to throw him off his game.

The whole Arthur Chu controversy was overblown. You have no obligation to play out the string of a category if it's not one you really want to go through. I think people were just mad because he's a fat Asian. It took handsome white guy Ken Jennings five times as many wins to annoy people.

I think it had more to do with Chu's style of play. Sure, it was within the rules, but he played like a jag-off. He wanted to roll through categories quickly, so he was brusque in calling them out. He wanted to find Daily Doubles and he buried them with small plays if it was a weak category for him. That was certainly a winning strategy, but it isn't really the spirit of the game. Jennings won because he knew more than everyone else. Chu won because of his style of play. But he's got his $300,000. I'm sure he's not too worried about the world thinking he's a jerk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 48  Next