It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
pittmike wrote:
Along the lines of what Seacrest just asked about pork. Would they demand a kosher place do that? If there are 100 bakeries in a city is it a problem for one of them to not make cakes for a wedding? I mainly see this as an issue when there is restricted access to things.

No. They would not demand an Orthodox Jewish woman to cater an event that serves pork.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:28 pm 

Why would someone demand an establishment serve something that isn't on their menu? Can we come up with a better example?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:
Why would someone demand an establishment serve something that isn't on their menu? Can we come up with a better example?

The question still stands.

Why would someone demand that a caterer do something contrary to their religious beliefs?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:37 pm 

Can you point to where Jesus said Thou shall not serve Chicken Parm to homos?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:37 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Seacrest wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

The question still stands.

Why would someone demand that a caterer do something contrary to their religious beliefs?

Douchebag makes the point about why a law or no law gets argued. It may be an outlandish example but it is possible. Either way my larger issue is that this is more than just the gay issues which seems to be the main thing being discussed here and elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:39 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Can a christian establishment legally refuse now to sell to Muslims?
So if you live in the Lakemoor equivalent in Indiana, and you're a Muslim, and the shop in town refuses to sell to you, you might have to drive 20 miles go get a gallon of milk? Or some food? Or gas?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:
Can you point to where Jesus said Thou shall not serve Chicken Parm to homos?

That's not what the caterer is saying. And you know that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:41 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Can a christian establishment legally refuse now to sell to Muslims?
So if you live in the Lakemoor equivalent in Indiana, and you're a Muslim, and the shop in town refuses to sell to you, you might have to drive 20 miles go get a gallon of milk? Or some food? Or gas?

That is what is so weird to me. I always assumed if you had an essential service like you point out you cannot refuse anyone. But a bakery refusing to make a cake? For the record I am against the stupid anti marriage laws/ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:42 pm 

Seacrest wrote:

Directly asked, since you've been avoiding me in this thread...

Would Jesus refuse to break bread with a homosexual?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:45 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

No for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:46 pm 

I'm of the opinion that people that are truly religious, truly christian, would abhor this law as it's using religion to justify bigotry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
pittmike wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

No for me.

Darkside, I believe it goes deeper than your question though. I do believe Jesus would break bread as scripture has indicated happened in several instances. However the other side of the coin is this, while Jesus was found to go reach out to those that were outcast for various reasons including sin...there was encouragement to sin no more. Homosexuality is seen in scripture as sin...as are a multitude of other things such as lying with a woman on her period, spilling of seed, etc...It's not that Jesus avoided those in sin rather there was encouragement from Jesus to walk away from that sin.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:56 pm 

Darkside wrote:
I'm of the opinion that people that are truly religious, truly christian, would abhor this law as it's using religion to justify bigotry.

What better way to reach out to others than to serve them...true Christians would acknowledge that all sin and fall short of the glory of God.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:00 pm 

Harvard Dan wrote:
Darkside, I believe it goes deeper than your question though. I do believe Jesus would break bread as scripture has indicated happened in several instances. However the other side of the coin is this, while Jesus was found to go reach out to those that were outcast for various reasons including sin...there was encouragement to sin no more. Homosexuality is seen in scripture as sin...as are a multitude of other things such as lying with a woman on her period, spilling of seed, etc...It's not that Jesus avoided those in sin rather there was encouragement from Jesus to walk away from that sin.

Just to take this to it's inevitable ridiclousness, shouldn't these businesses also be refusing to do business with other sinners? Since as masturbators and anyone with redwings? Similar to copyright law (which requires you to fight minor copyright infringements even if you really don't think it's necessary in order to protect your right to litigate against serious infringements)... if you don't refuse business to all sinners should you lose your right to refuse business to a sinner of your choice?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:01 pm 

Harvard Dan wrote:
Darkside wrote:

What better way to reach out to others than to serve them...true Christians would acknowledge that all sin and fall short of the glory of God.

This is what I'm getting at. We're picking and choosing which sins we're refusing to do business with. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that a bakery refuses to sell a dozen donuts to a glutton. Would that be fair game according to this law? And if so... is that right? Should the baker try to convince the glutton to sin less (read: eat less) and if so, is that appropriate modern behavior?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Seacrest wrote:
Chus wrote:
This article explains how Indiana's law is different than other states.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/03/3 ... eedom-law/

What does Kentucky's law actually state Chus? It was referenced without citation in the article.

The article explained the difference.

Quote:
Every other Religious Freedom Restoration Act applies to disputes between a person or entity and a government. Indiana’s is the only law that explicitly applies to disputes between private citizens.* This means it could be used as a cudgel by corporations to justify discrimination against individuals that might otherwise be protected under law. Indiana trial lawyer Matt Anderson, discussing this difference, writes that [b]the Indiana law is “more broadly written than its federal and state predecessors” and opens up “the path of least resistance among its species to have a court adjudicate it in a manner that could ultimately be used to discriminate…”[/b]

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Last edited by Chus on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:13 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:

Just to take this to it's inevitable ridiclousness, shouldn't these businesses also be refusing to do business with other sinners? Since as masturbators and anyone with redwings? Similar to copyright law (which requires you to fight minor copyright infringements even if you really don't think it's necessary in order to protect your right to litigate against serious infringements)... if you don't refuse business to all sinners should you lose your right to refuse business to a sinner of your choice?

Not saying I hold this position...but I suppose the argument that while those are all in sins, homosexuality would be considered being in a state of sin that is not seeking repentance while the others may want to stop etc...again not saying I hold that belief. But yes, I could refuse business to a liar, a divorcee (unless allowed under the Moses provision), a Catholic who eats meat on Friday. It becomes a slippery slope. While I sympathize with the business person who doesn't want to perform a service against their belief system..it really isn't a black and white situation in some cases (no pun intended).

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:17 pm 

Harvard Dan wrote:
Homosexuality is seen in scripture as sin...as are a multitude of other things such as lying with a woman on her period, spilling of seed, etc...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Harvard Dan wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:

Not saying I hold this position...but I suppose the argument that while those are all in sins, homosexuality would be considered being in a state of sin that is not seeking repentance while the others may want to stop etc...again not saying I hold that belief. But yes, I could refuse business to a liar, a divorcee (unless allowed under the Moses provision), a Catholic who eats meat on Friday. It becomes a slippery slope. While I sympathize with the business person who doesn't want to perform a service against their belief system..it really isn't a black and white situation in some cases (no pun intended).

My guess for the reason for the caterer not serving a gay wedding isn't based upon not serving a sinner. It is more likely based upon being REQUIRED to serve at a wedding that is contrary to what Christ set forth as a marriage. And therefore, contrary to their faith.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:19 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:
Homosexuality is seen in scripture as sin...as are a multitude of other things such as lying with a woman on her period, spilling of seed, etc...

:lol:

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

Chus wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Chus wrote:

What does Kentucky's law actually state Chus? It was referenced without citation in the article.

Quote:
Every other Religious Freedom Restoration Act applies to disputes between a person or entity and a government. Indiana’s is the only law that explicitly applies to disputes between private citizens.* This means it could be used as a cudgel by corporations to justify discrimination against individuals that might otherwise be protected under law. Indiana trial lawyer Matt Anderson, discussing this difference, writes that [b]the Indiana law is “more broadly written than its federal and state predecessors” and opens up “the path of least resistance among its species to have a court adjudicate it in a manner that could ultimately be used to discriminate…”[/b]

Have you actually read the Kentucky law or not?

Since you referenced it, can you cite it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:21 pm 

Harvard Dan wrote:

Now this is becoming fascinating to me. OK, a Catholic who eats meat on Friday may be a sinner, but would other religions? Now, say, again for the sake of argument, that the gas station owners, who at least in my area are largely Islamic, find you to be in a state of sin for not facing east and praying 5 times a day. As you would be living in a state of sin, in their eyes, would it be fair for them to refuse to sell you gas, and force you to drive god who knows 20-30 miles to fill up every time you need? I mean, there's places in INdiana when you might not see a gas station for 50 miles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:28 pm 

What if Darkos gas station guys refuse to sell Slim Jims or similar sausage type thing that are some form of pork? Do I have a right to a slim jim?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:29 pm 

pittmike wrote:
What if Darkos gas station guys refuse to sell Slim Jims or similar sausage type thing that are some form of pork? Do I have a right to a slim jim?

No, sinner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:31 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:

Now this is becoming fascinating to me. OK, a Catholic who eats meat on Friday may be a sinner, but would other religions? Now, say, again for the sake of argument, that the gas station owners, who at least in my area are largely Islamic, find you to be in a state of sin for not facing east and praying 5 times a day. As you would be living in a state of sin, in their eyes, would it be fair for them to refuse to sell you gas, and force you to drive god who knows 20-30 miles to fill up every time you need? I mean, there's places in INdiana when you might not see a gas station for 50 miles.

As I go back and look at what I typed and see your response...I think I realize my error. It's not that you shouldn't have to serve those that are against your beliefs...but rather in the course of serving them you shouldn't have to be brought into going against your beliefs yourself...geez I need to get some sleep...sorry to be so confusing.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:31 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Chus wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Chus wrote:

Quote:

Have you actually read the Kentucky law or not?

Since you referenced it, can you cite it?

You were making the argument that other states had this exact law. I just showed that to be incorrect. If you are trying to argue that Kentucky's law is the same, then the burden of proof is on you.

Or you can discredit an article with which you don't agree.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
I may be uneducated about this subject but can't any business put up a sign saying they reserve the right not to serve anyone? That covers it doesn't it. Really haven't followed this story until tonight. Discrimination sucks at any level anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:34 pm 

Harvard Dan wrote:
As I go back and look at what I typed and see your response...I think I realize my error. It's not that you shouldn't have to serve those that are against your beliefs...but rather in the course of serving them you shouldn't have to be brought into going against your beliefs yourself...geez I need to get some sleep...sorry to be so confusing.

OK, now this is more the meat and taters of the argument... you shouldn't have to be brought into going against your beliefs...
If that were what was happening here I would tend to agree with that statement.
But... a cameraman photographing a gay wedding isn't being forced to go against his beliefs... I mean, he doesn't have to have sex with these guys, he's just taking their picture.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:36 pm 

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:37 pm 

Chus wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Chus wrote:

Quote:

I posted a few articles earlier highlighting the differences.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next