It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:50 pm 

hnd wrote:
if we've learned anything is that the social justice warriors will move along to the next great upsetting thing. businesses making "statements" today will soon venture their way back in to indiana as there are still hundreds of thousands of potential customers with cash as good as anyone elses, waiting to spend it. people won't be driving around the state. gays and lesbians will not massively flee the state. trevor noah pulled them off a little bit, but the final four in Indianapolis keeps the discussion at the forefront. once thats over? obscurity.

Have you been following the story? The law is either going to be repealed or clarified to the SJW's liking. They will have no reason to protest, once that happens. I believe Pence said he wants it on his desk by Friday.

Also, I dont think Salesforce is backing off

"We see the governor saying he’s going to make changes. Now the next step is we want to see him actually make them," Benioff told us. "We’re not going to stop until the new law is done."

Its like you just wrote what you hoped would happen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
they aren't now. of course not. but give it time. remember chick fil a? we had gobs of employees warble garble about NEVER EATING THERE AGAIN....its in our office at least 3 times a week. and thats just for a chicken sandwhich. don't underestimate the fickleness of the American populous.

and for the record, i think the law is stupid and will/should be changed. and i think indiana is lame. the state is about 10 years behind the times in almost all things. I'm in the tech world. we sell mostly to school districts. 75% of indiana schools still use novell to manage their networks and still have vast citrix infrastructures. those dopes are doomed to face whatever mass crap they get. I just think it will go away sooner than anyone thinks even if they don’t change it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:13 pm 

But they are changing it, so it's a moot point.

I understand that Americans can be fickle and SJW's go overboard but this situation actually mattered and they were right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:17 pm 

hnd wrote:
they aren't now. of course not. but give it time. remember chick fil a? we had gobs of employees warble garble about NEVER EATING THERE AGAIN....its in our office at least 3 times a week. and thats just for a chicken sandwhich. don't underestimate the fickleness of the American populous.

and for the record, i think the law is stupid and will/should be changed. and i think indiana is lame. the state is about 10 years behind the times in almost all things. I'm in the tech world. we sell mostly to school districts. 75% of indiana schools still use novell to manage their networks and still have vast citrix infrastructures. those dopes are doomed to face whatever mass crap they get. I just think it will go away sooner than anyone thinks even if they don’t change it.
This isn't really a SJW issue though.

My guess is most of the population is against this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Yeah, we're not talking about "microaggressions" here. "I won't do business with you because you're gay" is a regular aggression.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
"I won't do business with you because you're gay" is a regular aggression.

especially in the world of prostitution!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
sinicalypse wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
"I won't do business with you because you're gay" is a regular aggression.

especially in the world of prostitution!

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
This is starting to get ridiculous -- people not patronizing stores that don't have a "We Serve Everyone" sign? FUCK YOU!!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/p ... olumn.html

What is the problem there?

I could be wrong but I had you for a guy that believes in "the free market", right?

This is an odd take coming from you, to be honest. You're usually pretty measured and this seems emotional.

Insisting that you're not going to shop someplace until the owner "proves" that they're not anti-gay (or anti-anything) is shallow, disingenuous grandstanding and, quite frankly, insulting.

First of all, just because someone displays the sticker doesn't mean they're anti-gay. It could very well mean that they simply want your money. The stickers are meaningless.

Second, don't assume that people are for or against something simply because they don't feel the need to tell everyone. Will customers have to "prove" that they're not anti-gay in order to shop at store displaying a sticker that says "We Serve Everyone"?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:39 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Insisting that you're not going to shop someplace until the owner "proves" that they're not anti-gay (or anti-anything) is shallow, disingenuous grandstanding and, quite frankly, insulting.

It's a reaction to a far more insulting proposition (the law)

Tad Queasy wrote:
First of all, just because someone displays the sticker doesn't mean they're anti-gay. It could very well mean that they simply want your money. The stickers are meaningless.

Second, don't assume that people are for or against something simply because they don't feel the need to tell everyone. Will customers have to "prove" that they're not anti-gay in order to shop at store displaying a sticker that says "We Serve Everyone"?

No, because customers don't need the business. It's the other way around.

And because of what Indiana is trying to do, even being willing to put up a sign saying you serve everyone (even if it's grandstanding) is a big deal to many LGBT folks.

This is the free market at work.

It's competition. Some businesses are putting the signs up because they want customers. Others dont want to put the sign up. Both will deal with any effect on business those decisions might have.

But people are free to go where they want. I think we all agree on that. Indiana has made a law that made some businesses feel like they had to advertise that they are open to everyone.

I just dont understand why that would bother anyone. Maybe it's grandstanding in many cases but who cares? I cant imagine being insulted or saying FUCK YOU to it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
i hadn't paid enough attention in the last 24 hours in that regards... i just don't care that much, i just don't think this is really that big of a deal and just like i don't think its that big of a deal, there is a whole host of others who are drawing up extremes that this will really have that large of an effect. survival of the fittest business wise. i don't have a problem with businesses picking and choosing who can buy from them. in my short time in the business world, those businesses fall by the wayside. but i'm a priviledged white male so i have no real dog in the fight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:53 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

But that's the next step, isn't it? First people say they won't shop at a store if the owner doesn't think the way they think. Then businesses can prove how noble and righteous they are by declaring they won't sell their product to people who don't think the way they think. #don'tneedabigot'sbusiness

I'm not a proponent of the law, and if I were a small business owner I would likely put the sticker in the window and get on with things, but the implication that I think this or that and people will no longer patronize my store because I don't make some disingenuous display is very thought-police-y to me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:58 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
I'm not a proponent of the law, and if I were a small business owner I would likely put the sticker in the window and get on with things, but the implication that I think this or that and people will no longer patronize my store because I don't make some disingenuous display is very thought-police-y to me.

I don't see what the big deal is...some people choose investments based on a company's social responsibility; others on pure profit potential. Similarly, some choose to shop at Target instead of Walmart and pay more because of a perception (not saying it's real) that the company has values more to their liking. What exactly do you propose to do to avoid this? Businesses are free to advertise their social values as they see fit; should the government be stepping in to prohibit the use of the sign? Or are you saying an individual shopper shouldn't base his or her purchasing decisions on a company's social responsibility? People choose all the time to shop at a restaurant based on their perception of the company's approach to sustainability. Should that be outlawed too?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:09 pm 

For me the sign seems simplistic and hollow. Similar to how some felt gilted into flag lapel pins after 9/11.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:13 pm 

Kadomony wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I don't see what the big deal is...some people choose investments based on a company's social responsibility; others on pure profit potential. Similarly, some choose to shop at Target instead of Walmart and pay more because of a perception (not saying it's real) that the company has values more to their liking. What exactly do you propose to do to avoid this? Businesses are free to advertise their social values as they see fit; should the government be stepping in to prohibit the use of the sign? Or are you saying an individual shopper shouldn't base his or her purchasing decisions on a company's social responsibility? People choose all the time to shop at a restaurant based on their perception of the company's approach to sustainability. Should that be outlawed too?

If people want to choose where they shop based on a company's business practices or the values they've chosen to make public, that's fine.

My main point is where does this particular situation stop? Do people need know how a business owner feels about religious, social, or political issues they heretofore had no intention of making public? Will religious and political affiliations have to be displayed in store windows so potential customers can determine if they think the "right" things or worship the "right" God?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Tad Queasy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
This is starting to get ridiculous -- people not patronizing stores that don't have a "We Serve Everyone" sign? FUCK YOU!!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/p ... olumn.html

What is the problem there?

I could be wrong but I had you for a guy that believes in "the free market", right?

This is an odd take coming from you, to be honest. You're usually pretty measured and this seems emotional.

This sums it up for me. I don't like forcing someone to feel the need to post a sign.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:22 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Kadomony wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

If people want to choose where they shop based on a company's business practices or the values they've chosen to make public, that's fine.

My main point is where does this particular situation stop? Do people need know how a business owner feels about religious, social, or political issues they heretofore had no intention of making public? Will religious and political affiliations have to be displayed in store windows so potential customers can determine if they think the "right" things or worship the "right" God?

Before you know it storefronts will look like a cause/stance nascar car.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:24 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:

But nobody is forcing this action. It's the business owners themselves choosing to put up the sign because they think it will help their business. Assuming but not deciding that the signs will have an overall harmful effect, how would you propose to stop it?

Last edited by Kadomony on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:26 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
This sums it up for me. I don't like forcing someone to feel the need to post a sign.
They aren't forced to do it. The free market can decide if they want to shop at places that aren't willing to say they will serve gay people.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:28 pm 

Lots of free market people here are against the free market.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:29 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
They aren't forced to do it. The free market can decide if they want to shop at places that aren't willing to say they will serve gay people.

brick you know though that if someone wants final four business they need to have it. So it is forced in that sense. There isn't much option for the non discriminator that wants people to just mind their own business

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:30 pm 

pittmike wrote:
brick you know though that if someone wants final four business they need to have it. So it is forced in that sense. There isn't much option for the non discriminator that wants people to just mind their own business
If they are a non discriminator why would they care about a sticker?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:31 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

But that's the next step, isn't it? First people say they won't shop at a store if the owner doesn't think the way they think. Then businesses can prove how noble and righteous they are by declaring they won't sell their product to people who don't think the way they think. #don'tneedabigot'sbusiness

I guess Im just not terribly bothered by grandstanding when the issue has merit. I understand some of it is holllow but that doesnt change the issue.

And no, I dont think that next step is possible for most businesses.

I think the signs are just like any other signs meant to help business. I understand the resistance to business owners HAVING to put the stickers up, but that does not fall on shoppers, it's on Mike Pence and the legislators. These signs werent necessary a few weeks ago.

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:32 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
If they are a non discriminator why would they care about a sticker?

Some don't like to advertise their views. Any views whatsoever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:33 pm 

pittmike wrote:
That is fine but some people may not shop there then.

Both are making choices.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
That is fine but some people may not shop there then.

Both are making choices.

But Mike isnt it a little contradictory to say owners want custoemrs to mind their own business

Mind your own business, but financially support MINE!

I mean, I get where you're coming from, but the customer is king for the most part. Its not an equal relationship.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Douchebag wrote:
Lots of free market people here are against the free market.

I'm not against the free market per se. I'm frustrated that business owners will not feel "free" to not post a sign (without possibly losing business). A sign that should be unnecessary. It's as if the default opinion of business owners became "bigot" and the burden shifted to them to prove they aren't.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:41 pm 

Kadomony wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

But nobody is forcing this action. It's the business owners themselves choosing to put up the sign because they think it will help their business. Assuming but not deciding that the signs will have an overall harmful effect, how would you propose to stop it?

That's a good question, but I don't know. I don't know how to prevent people from getting caught up in a panic and preventing them from assuming people are, essentially, guilty until proven innocent.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:16 pm 

I think I just heard a caller on B&B that also was on Goff and Hub. He is trying to say this is the same as a black owner being able to not make a cake for a KKK rally. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Douchebag wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Protestants don't believe in annulments.

As a catholic I can't serve protestants now? I need to catch up on the groups I should be discriminating against.

No one said that except you.

Did I miss the response where someone said that Jesus would officiate at a gay marriage?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Mr. Belvidere wrote:
This picture explains everything.

Micah Clark
RPB has posted a scientific study that clearly stated that homosexuality is a treatable disorder.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next