It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: LeBron
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Brick wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Even then, it was a generous act that’s in the spirit of what he says he wants to do & who he wants to be.

It seems to exist now as cover to gloss over how irresponsibly stupid he can be at times.

I'm pretty skeptical of all charities that are named and run by celebrities so I always wondered what the actual financials were and wasn't surprised by it. Most exist as a way for friends and family to get a steady paycheck, but LeBron seemingly doesn't need that, and as a way to increase the brand of the celebrity.

Still though, most people think LeBron built a school for kids, when in reality he contributed 20% or less of the costs of a public school. It's still a good thing. The kids are better off. However, it does seem to be an advertisement for "LeBron is a great guy".

The Anthony Rizzo Foundation is legit but the Jose Abreu one is far superior.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:59 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
And yet Brett Favre doubles down on his idiocy, and <crickets>.

Because Brett Favre is considered a global icon who is praised in the media for being intelligent and well read. Also, Favre hasn't said anything as inflammatory as LeBron.

This is so ridiculously deluded and idiotic, it only could have come from a guy with an agenda like you

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:00 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
Brick wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
I think it's cool he opened up the elementary school in Akron for at-risk kids. Good stuff.
Even that though is a public school he basically bought the naming rights and a place to create a museum to himself in. $2 million up front and up to $2 million more a year going forward. The local school district is covering at least 80 percent of the costs.

I did not know that. He still did it. He didn't have to do it. Maybe one of the motives is to create a museum-like environment. Maybe another is to advertise "LeBron is a great guy." But another motive is certainly to help kids and their families with housing. Definitely puts things into perspective more though. I appreciate it.
It's a good thing for everyone involved. I know the school was more than happy to take the money.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:00 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Brick wrote:
Even then, it was a generous act that’s in the spirit of what he says he wants to do & who he wants to be.

It seems to exist now as cover to gloss over how irresponsibly stupid he can be at times.

I'm pretty skeptical of all charities that are named and run by celebrities so I always wondered what the actual financials were and wasn't surprised by it. Most exist as a way for friends and family to get a steady paycheck, but LeBron seemingly doesn't need that, and as a way to increase the brand of the celebrity.

Still though, most people think LeBron built a school for kids, when in reality he contributed 20% or less of the costs of a public school. It's still a good thing. The kids are better off. However, it does seem to be an advertisement for "LeBron is a great guy".

The Anthony Rizzo Foundation is legit but the Jose Abreu one is far superior.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
LeBron presents himself as transcending sports.
Does LeBron himself actually do that, or is that something that ESPN and people like Bernstein kind of take off and run with?

Read his response to the (very, very stupid) shut up & dribble comments. He’s very clear on how he sees himself and transcending sports is an understatement.

He’s gotten plenty of criticism. And outside of that, there’s an obvious difference between his comments (tldr: Chauvin was wrong/actions uncalled for/Favre didn’t think it an intentional killing)...

...and James sending a tweet to his 50m followers threatening a police officer for actions that may have saved a life.

Most commentators have been talking about the accountability for bad police officers all through the last few years and the overwhelming majority of the time it's been clear that they were referring to in the courts. It seems to me that if people think he was talking about violence, it's only because they only see it one way. It's exactly what they patriot about when it comes from July or Sarah Spain types.

And this talk of doxxing is a laughable attempt to push a particular cynical agenda.

And like LeBron (who quickly deleted the tweet) I thought it was wrong from jump street. But unlike others who can't accept reality, he at least apologized for the remarks.

Please point me to any statement from LeBron expressing regret about what he did.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:05 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Does LeBron himself actually do that, or is that something that ESPN and people like Bernstein kind of take off and run with?

Read his response to the (very, very stupid) shut up & dribble comments. He’s very clear on how he sees himself and transcending sports is an understatement.

Brett Favre is retired, and has done plenty of stupid things and taken heat for it.

LeBron is still on social media daily saying stupid things. And on TV doing stupid things on the court sometimes....at least during the games he isn't sitting out for load management.

LeBron isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer but when he's wrong, he's wrong. But at least he had the integrity to apologize for it. Favre seems to be increasingly showing up in many forums embarrassing himself. Retirement and being stuck with the wife in Mississippi is just making it worse.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Brick wrote:

As am I, as I think we all should be.

I quibbled with the coverage mostly because I can’t stand the guy. But to me, it’s a small lie in service of something bigger. That Lebron James, international superstar, is using his wealth & influence to improve education in an underserved area hopefully reinforces the value of education to people who do actually believe he’s more than a talented athlete.

It’s why it irritates me so much when he pulls shit like he did yesterday. If his actions & words are so meaningful - and I think they are to some - he can’t go off half-cocked and malign police that way. It’s incredibly destructive.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:07 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
LeBron isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer but when he's wrong, he's wrong. But at least he had the integrity to apologize for it. Favre seems to be increasingly showing up in many forums embarrassing himself. Retirement and being stuck with the wife in Mississippi is just making it worse.
I agree that Favre is pretty dumb for what he said but LeBron didn't really apologize for it. He still is acting like the attempted murderer is the victim in that case.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:07 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Brett Favre is retired, and has done plenty of stupid things and taken heat for it.

LeBron is still on social media daily saying stupid things. And on TV doing stupid things on the court sometimes....at least during the games he isn't sitting out for load management.

Again, please point me to any statement from LeBron in which he expressed regret or apologized for what he did.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:09 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

He’s gotten plenty of criticism. And outside of that, there’s an obvious difference between his comments (tldr: Chauvin was wrong/actions uncalled for/Favre didn’t think it an intentional killing)...

...and James sending a tweet to his 50m followers threatening a police officer for actions that may have saved a life.

Most commentators have been talking about the accountability for bad police officers all through the last few years and the overwhelming majority of the time it's been clear that they were referring to in the courts. It seems to me that if people think he was talking about violence, it's only because they only see it one way. It's exactly what they patriot about when it comes from July or Sarah Spain types.

And this talk of doxxing is a laughable attempt to push a particular cynical agenda.

And like LeBron (who quickly deleted the tweet) I thought it was wrong from jump street. But unlike others who can't accept reality, he at least apologized for the remarks.

Please point me to any statement from LeBron expressing regret about what he did.

I saw the second tweet saying that he was wrong speaking out of anger and without a fuller appreciation of the events.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:09 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

We live in a world where "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard," is taken as incitement to attack the Capitol but sure, LeBron saying YOURE NEXT #accountability with the officers photo just means he's referring to the courts. He took the tweet down because he saw the backlash and where his culpability was going to be if " accountability" meant someone killed or hurt that cop , not because he thought what he tweeted was wrong. Do Better .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:10 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

I saw the second tweet saying that he was wrong speaking out of anger and without a fuller appreciation of the events.

This one? Do you see an apology or regretful sentiment anywhere in here? Even the most charitable interpretive reading of the tweet leaves us thinking that he was merely regretful of being angry.

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:11 pm 

I think we also should have a little more respect for Jordan not wanting to get involved in things outside of basketball. I assume LeBron, just like Jordan, spends 23 hours a day worried about basketball, with the other hour dedicated to making the movie Space Jam. I think it's inevitable that eventually you are going to talk too quickly about something. I actually think other times, mostly in the offseason, LeBron has made some valid points. This was just a miss. He probably learned about it 5 minutes prior to the tweet. He may not even have watched the video.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Regular Reader wrote:

While I don’t think much of him, I don’t think he’s naive enough to believe posting a picture of a guy on Twitter with a message that ‘YOU’RE NEXT’ is a clear reference to an orderly investigation/court proceeding. I don’t know that it’s doxxing, but it’s the first place I saw the cop’s face (no idea if his name would’ve been disclosed at some point anyway).

Also, Lebron never apologized. He never acknowledged he was tweeting out of his ass. He took the tweet down and said it was because of what other people were doing (‘creat[ing] more hate’).

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:

Yes this post is. What about Brett Favre is your typical race baiting bullshit.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:13 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

This one? Do you see an apology or regretful sentiment anywhere in here?

And what justice in this case does he want to prevail ? He thinks the cop was wrong and needs to be punished . If after whatever investigation is conducted exonerates the cop, you think he'll feel that was justice even though thats exactly what justice is ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:14 pm 

Brick wrote:
I think we also should have a little more respect for Jordan not wanting to get involved in things outside of basketball. I assume LeBron, just like Jordan, spends 23 hours a day worried about basketball, with the other hour dedicated to making the movie Space Jam. I think it's inevitable that eventually you are going to talk too quickly about something. I actually think other times, mostly in the offseason, LeBron has made some valid points. This was just a miss. He probably learned about it 5 minutes prior to the tweet. He may not even have watched the video.

I doubt he had. And the rest of the post is on point.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:15 pm 

Brick wrote:

Yeah, his "Fuck Trump" is still talked about at the Fletcher School. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Brick wrote:

not much time to do any reading

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:16 pm 

Brick wrote:

You have to dig a little deeper to own LeBron than to say he strongly disliked Trump. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Regular Reader wrote:
But at least he had the integrity to apologize for it.
Did he PM it to you or something? I've not seen an apology. Taking down a Tweet then posting another one saying that he is working on HIM SELF isn't the same thing as apologizing.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:17 pm 

Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

You have to dig a little deeper to own LeBron than to say he strongly disliked Trump. :lol:

Missing the point.

Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

Missing the point.

...or it wasn't a good point.

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

And LeBron would have to dig a bit deeper to have an actual relevant opinion. Oh wait he just put on clear glasses and opened a book. He's informed now. He's evolved from Fuck Trump to Fuck the Police.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:19 pm 

Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

Missing the point.

Correct

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:20 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

And what justice in this case does he want to prevail ? He thinks the cop was wrong and needs to be punished . If after whatever investigation is conducted exonerates the cop, you think he'll feel that was justice even though thats exactly what justice is ?

It seems to me that when the body cam footage was revealed, most reasonable people have agreed that the officer was properly doing his job. At least the first shot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:20 pm 

Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

Missing the point.

The point was that LeBron often doesn't make a good point, if he even makes a point. Case in...point...his "fuck Trump" being heralded as evidence of his unquestionable political savvy, when in reality it was literally the scene from Family Guy where Lois just says "9/11" over and over again at a debate to get elected mayor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:22 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

It seems to me that when the body cam footage was revealed, most reasonable people have agreed that the officer was properly doing his job. At least the first shot.

Yeah. Anyone who is criticizing the cop still is as far gone as those who think Chauvin did nothing wrong

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:24 pm 

The point was that LeBron often doesn't make a good point, if he even makes a point. Case in...point...his "fuck Trump" being heralded as evidence of his unquestionable political savvy, when in reality it was literally the scene from Family Guy where Lois just says "9/11" over and over again at a debate to get elected mayor.
I don't know who you are referring to here but when I was referring to LeBron sometimes making valid points I was not referring to that high level thought about Trump.

It's easy to cherry pick thoughts to make it seem like someone is not making a good argument. I won't do that with LeBron and that Trump tweet and I won't do it with you and your Chauvin posts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:26 pm 

Brick wrote:
I don't know who you are referring to here but when I was referring to LeBron sometimes making valid points I was not referring to that high level thought about Trump.

It's easy to cherry pick thoughts to make it seem like someone is not making a good argument. I won't do that with LeBron and that Trump tweet and I won't do it with you and your Chauvin posts.

:roll: Can you name a "valid point" that LeBron has raised?

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next