It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy ... -abortions

Please note the distinction between the "Life and Health" and "Life and Physical Health" exceptions and figure out for yourself what exactly the difference is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/state-policies-later-abortions

Please note the distinction between the "Life and Health" and "Life and Physical Health" exceptions and figure out for yourself what exactly the difference is.

Or we can, you know, read the actual law on the subject:

Quote:
Sec. 5. (1) When the fetus is viable no abortion shall be performed unless in the medical judgment of the attending or referring physician, based on the particular facts of the case before him, it is necessary to preserve the life or health of the mother. Intentional, knowing, or reckless failure to conform to the requirements of subsection (1) of Section 5 is a Class 2 felony.

(2) When the fetus is viable the physician shall certify in writing, on a form prescribed by the Department under Section 10 of this Law, the medical indications which, in his medical judgment based on the particular facts of the case before him, warrant performance of the abortion to preserve the life or health of the mother.

Clinging to the lack of the term "physical" in front of "health" in the letter of the law doesn't seem like a really solid position. The terms you should really focus on are the things like "medical indications" and "medical judgement". I've never even seen a med school, much less been inside one, but I don't think they have a course on religious fundamentalist parents of patients. Maybe that kind of shit is covered in residency, I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

So in rare instances, this may allow for the "can happen."

You also stated that abortions for mental health "has happened." The burden of proof is still on you sir.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Quote:
Sec. 5. (1) When the fetus is viable no abortion shall be performed unless in the medical judgment of the attending or referring physician, based on the particular facts of the case before him, it is necessary to preserve the life or health of the mother. Intentional, knowing, or reckless failure to conform to the requirements of subsection (1) of Section 5 is a Class 2 felony.

(2) When the fetus is viable the physician shall certify in writing, on a form prescribed by the Department under Section 10 of this Law, the medical indications which, in his medical judgment based on the particular facts of the case before him, warrant performance of the abortion to preserve the life or health of the mother.

Clinging to the lack of the term "physical" in front of "health" in the letter of the law doesn't seem like a really solid position. The terms you should really focus on are the things like "medical indications" and "medical judgement". I've never even seen a med school, much less been inside one, but I don't think they have a course on religious fundamentalist parents of patients. Maybe that kind of shit is covered in residency, I don't know.

Why do you think such distinction need be made?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:28 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Quote:

This guy gets it.

JORR must think that doctors just do work by arguing whatever they decide they want to think.

A doctor who performs an abortion at 38 weeks because the parents are going to be mad is going to lose a license and likely go to jail.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:29 pm 

I'll ask again, is it legal for a doctor to take a knife and cut your chest wide open?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93552&page=1

"Michigan and 39 other states prohibit late-term abortions except to preserve the health or life of the mother, a decision usually left to the doctor."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:32 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Quote:

You're assuming that the difference in the letters of the various laws on the topic from several different states is a concerted effort to create a distinction. There may not be an intended difference between "health" and "physical health". These laws were passed at different times by different lawmakers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

"Michigan and 39 other states prohibit late-term abortions except to preserve the health or life of the mother, a decision usually left to the doctor."

Yes.

Nobody has disputed that.

What has been disputed is the statement that abortions "can and have" been performed after 24 weeks for maternal stress.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Quote:

You're assuming that the difference in the letters of the various laws on the topic from several different states is a concerted effort to create a distinction. There may not be an intended difference between "health" and "physical health". These laws were passed at different times by different lawmakers.

:lol: I haven't passed the bar in any state so I'm not going down this road with you. Maybe dolphin can pick this up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yes.

What has been disputed is the statement that abortions "can and have" been performed after 24 weeks for maternal stress.

And you don't believe any have?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Of course it is left to the doctor, but they have to be able to justify it based on the best practices at this time. This is how virtually all medicine works. If I go to the doctor with a broken finger and he decides that I need to have my arm amputated then he will have to justify that action and can lose the license or face criminal charges if it was not for a justifiable reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'll ask again, is it legal for a doctor to take a knife and cut your chest wide open?

I love you Brick, but if it were not for non-sequiturs and other logical fallacies, your post count would be closer to 10K.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Quote:
Uddin dropped the newborn headfirst out of her 8th-floor bedroom window

Waiting for the Eric Clapton song about this.

This frigging thread is an abortion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:38 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I love you Brick, but if it were not for non-sequiturs and other logical fallacies, your post count would be closer to 10K.
It's not a logical fallacy. The same reason applies to why they can only provide an abortion if there is a serious medical issue that justifies it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:41 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yes.

I don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Don Tiny wrote:
Quote:

This frigging thread is an abortion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Don Tiny wrote:
Quote:

If you want to hang out
You better drop her off
the Minaret

I know technically that is JJ Cale, but still

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yes.

I don't.

Okay.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:49 pm 

JoRR is about to tap out. You guys have him on the ropes!!! Don't let him get back up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:53 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Quote:

:lol: I haven't passed the bar in any state so I'm not going down this road with you. Maybe dolphin can pick this up.

Then let me ask you: do you believe lawmakers in the State of Illinois intended to give medical professionals a wider lawful ability to perform abortions after fetus viability by their omission of "physical", even generally intending "mental anguish" to be one of the newly-created lawful reasons behind a post-viability abortion?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

Jbi11s wrote:
JoRR is about to tap out. You guys have him on the ropes!!! Don't let him get back up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:54 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:55 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Quote:

Then let me ask you: do you believe lawmakers in the State of Illinois intended to give medical professionals a wider lawful ability to perform abortions after fetus viability by their omission of "physical", even generally intending "mental anguish" to be one of the newly-created lawful reasons behind a post-viability abortion?

Yes, I believe the intention is to have virtually no limits on abortions in the State of Illinois. I think the prevailing political position is that it is a matter between a woman and her doctor.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:57 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Yes, I believe the intention is to have virtually no limits on abortions in the State of Illinois. I think the prevailing political position is that it is a matter between a woman and her doctor.
The law was written very poorly then as even Planned Parenthood won't do an abortion at 20 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:04 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Then why subversively give doctors the ability to perform abortions for virtually any reason they please, but then impose a duty ("shall") to create a record of the reasoning explicitly stating the "medical indications" for the need, and tying the need to the doctor's "medical judgement", then placing a felony charge hanging over it all?

Seems to me that this is either a conspiracy by lawmakers to make it lawful for women to kill a fetus for whatever reason they please at any time, or someone somewhere is misinterpreting the letter of the law. Which do you think is more likely?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:07 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Then why subversively give doctors the ability to perform abortions for virtually any reason they please, but then impose a duty ("shall") to create a record of the reasoning explicitly stating the "medical indications" for the need, and tying the need to the doctor's "medical judgement", then placing a felony charge hanging over it all?

Seems to me that this is either a conspiracy by lawmakers to make it lawful for women to kill a fetus for whatever reason they please at any time, or someone somewhere is misinterpreting the letter of the law. Which do you think is more likely?
OB doctors are also extremely cautious. They can get in trouble for doing too many C-sections and yet we are to believe they are willing to do an abortion based on unhappy parents?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:08 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I also have bad news for you, if you are going down this route, then even if you banned abortions completely, these rare cases would still exist as it would be malpractice to let the mother and child die while waiting for a time in which actual birth could take place.

Yeah, but if those mothers are doing it right, they're leaving it in the hands of God and their chiropractor. Nothing can go wrong in that case.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next