It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: NY Daily News
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Yeah, despite the sad state of our society that ushers young gay men into relationships with older men already out (or not) because the young men aren't comfortable or even able to come out to those around them, it is still wrong, even to the point of criminal, for that older man to attempt to engage in sexual acts with the minor.

But don't you find it disingenuous for society to create a situation and then be aghast at the response?

It's probably a little hypocritical, but at the end of the day it is on the older person to not engage or attempt to engage in sexual activity with a minor. That's where we draw the line, and I'm fine with it.

Now if you want to talk about whether a judge or jury should be able to decide whether actions with a minor were inherently criminal given the personality of the minor and the circumstances, sure absolutely let's have that discussion, but it also better apply to that hot teacher banging a 16-17 year old, or even the inverse.

I think it's obvious that society deeming homosexuality as outre behavior causes a lot of problems for a young gay man, particularly when you get outside the most cosmopolitan cities. Some of the relationships that result from this structure may be deemed "unhealthy" by the very society that created the structure that caused them in the first place.

It kind of reminds me of that conversation that someone- I believe it was Zeph- posted between Chomsky and some guy who was castigating the "black community" for a lack of personal responsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I wish I had the energy to partake in this thread on a Monday. I’ve lost a step.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:34 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Like we have discussed, societal morality is based upon religion, even in an atheistic society.

There is a reason so many people still hate the Jews. They will always be the people that introduced the dignity of the individual person.
That's not exactly true these days. What is more likely is that ancient religion took the societal norms of where it started and then when civilization advanced to higher forms of laws and processes that there were still a lot of parallels. Most of the major "societal morals" predate Christianity and Islam and many others have been removed as immoral by a large majority of countries. I mean, should we jail people for adultery?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:38 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I mean, should we jail people for adultery?

I don't think anyone here is going to say yes. Still, we have to acknowledge that there is a societal stigma to adultery.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
What is more likely is that ancient religion took the societal norms of where it started and then when civilization advanced to higher forms of laws and processes that there were still a lot of parallels.

Someone or some group had to invent "God" or the idea of "God" at some point. (Unless you believe that there was some guy way back when who actually communicated directly with Him.) That being the case, the morals must have been inside at least one man or, more likely, some group of men wanted to impose "morals" for their own ends and invented "God" as a way to implement the strategy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:43 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
What is more likely is that ancient religion took the societal norms of where it started and then when civilization advanced to higher forms of laws and processes that there were still a lot of parallels.

Someone or some group had to invent "God" or the idea of "God" at some point. (Unless you believe that there was some guy way back when who actually communicated directly with Him.) That being the case, the morals must have been inside at least one man or, more likely, some group of men wanted to impose "morals" for their own ends and invented "God" as a way to implement the strategy.

Stop capitalizing “Him”, poser.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:44 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Stop capitalizing “Him”, poser.

That was out of respect for my evangelical friends from Central Illinois.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Well apparently even the gay community is disgusted with Spacey using them as a shield so I'm not so certain this type of relationship is a norm for them.

As they should be. "I'm not a pedophile, I'm just a drunk gay man" is not a good look when a lot of people in this country still think of homosexuals as sexual deviants.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I found CS Lewis' most compelling argument for God (read Jesus in his case) was the apparent innate nature of morals. Now some would argue we are socialized into our moral compass, but it does seem like there is a built inherent sense of morality where some things are obviously right and some things are obviously wrong (murder for instance).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:46 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I don't think anyone here is going to say yes. Still, we have to acknowledge that there is a societal stigma to adultery.
There are a lot of societal stigmas though. That one comes from the concept of what marriage is supposed to be and regardless of what they want you to think, marriage was not a religious invention and seemingly about property rights.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:47 am 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Now some would argue we are socialized into our moral compass, but it does seem like there is a built inherent sense of morality where some things are obviously right and some things are obviously wrong (murder for instance).

It's hard to say. And how do we define "murder"? In ways that are convenient for ourselves.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
denisdman wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
Yeah, if gay people want to fight for equal rights and representative laws and rules, then pedophilia applies as well.

Sad to hear. I always liked Spacey as an actor. Don't think I'll ever be able to watch American Beauty or Usual Suspects again.

Don't be a drama queen. Every time you turn on sports or watch a movie, there are people involved who have done bad things. Just enjoy programming for what it is and don't worry so much about the criminal histories of the entertainers. You've also have to avoid listening to music artists too.

Exactly. I, like everyone, weighs the importance of things. There are definitely things I watch that involve less than savory people, but that doesn't mean there aren't things I watch less of or cut because of conflicting beliefs. I watch a lot less football now than I ever did. Pedophilia is something that ranks higher as far as what causes me to turn it off compared to other things. Not being a drama queen. If I found out my local butcher was a pedo, I'd stop patronizing his business. Not much different not wanting to watch Spacey's movies anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:51 am 

I’m not even sure that I believe in a concept such as “morality.” Our laws are primarily designed to protect those of means from those without means and to at least give the impression that they are a net plus for the individual motives of all citizens equally.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:55 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Our laws are primarily designed to protect those of means from those without means and to at least give the impression that they are a net plus for the individual motives of all citizens equally.

God can certainly be a useful tool in that regard. It's a lot easier to accept one's place at the bottom of a caste system for a mere 30-90 years on earth when you believe that a glorious eternity awaits.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Exactly. It was especially powerful given the much more disconnected society with much less of a central authority. Like many things, the concept of "Don't steal" comes from the rise of agriculture much more than Moses coming down and telling people to not steal. Nomadic societies didn't really need much of that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:00 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Our laws are primarily designed to protect those of means from those without means and to at least give the impression that they are a net plus for the individual motives of all citizens equally.

God can certainly be a useful tool in that regard. It's a lot easier to accept one's place at the bottom of a caste system for a mere 30-90 years on earth when you believe that a glorious eternity awaits.

Of course.

There was no other way to corral and subdue a bunch of unruly desert-dwelling Jews.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Of course.

There was no other way to corral and subdue a bunch of unruly desert-dwelling Jews.

Until they invented the U.N.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Of course.

:scratch: eternity wasn't promised to them

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:45 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Of course.

Until they invented the U.N.

Josef Mengele wrote:
Ahem...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Yeah, despite the sad state of our society that ushers young gay men into relationships with older men already out (or not) because the young men aren't comfortable or even able to come out to those around them, it is still wrong, even to the point of criminal, for that older man to attempt to engage in sexual acts with the minor.

But don't you find it disingenuous for society to create a situation and then be aghast at the response?

It's probably a little hypocritical, but at the end of the day it is on the older person to not engage or attempt to engage in sexual activity with a minor. That's where we draw the line, and I'm fine with it.

Now if you want to talk about whether a judge or jury should be able to decide whether actions with a minor were inherently criminal given the personality of the minor and the circumstances, sure absolutely let's have that discussion, but it also better apply to that hot teacher banging a 16-17 year old, or even the inverse.

I think it's obvious that society deeming homosexuality as outre behavior causes a lot of problems for a young gay man, particularly when you get outside the most cosmopolitan cities. Some of the relationships that result from this structure may be deemed "unhealthy" by the very society that created the structure that caused them in the first place.

It kind of reminds me of that conversation that someone- I believe it was Zeph- posted between Chomsky and some guy who was castigating the "black community" for a lack of personal responsibility.

Absolutely society puts a lot of undue pressure on young gay people, and we should absolutely work to fix that.

However, people beyond the age of majority still have an obligation to not engage in sex acts with minors, even minors that wish to pursue them. Strict liability applies to having sex with a minor. If you don't want to be shunned or arrested for it, just don't do it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I was subject to something similar with a guy I worked with when I was a kid. He was a gay 27 year old and I was 15 or 16. I handled it similarly to the way Rapp did, "Hey, what the fuck are you doing?" The guy stopped his advances. It wasn't traumatic. I do remember it though. I don't consider the guy a pedophile. I was a good looking teenager. And I was trying to bag whatever girls I could at the time.

Is Anthony Rapp gay too? Because I don't think the average straight dude who spends half his day on a message board complaining about Julie DiCaro really understands gay culture and how it works. If you're going to call a gay man in his twenties approaching a gay teen "pedophilia", you're going to need to examine your openness and liberalism when it comes to homosexuality in general. Because most first relationships for gay men occur with much older partners.

And there's a good reason for that. If a gay kid is in high school, how does he "date"? There may be another kid that he suspects of being gay, but they're likely both in the closet and how could either one risk that? It's bad enough in a big city. Now imagine you're a (the?) gay kid at leash's high school. Of course you're going to have to seek out an older guy. Maybe this is changing as our society becomes more open and accepting, but it certainly was as I describe 20-30 years ago.

Change the gender of the kid and ask yourself if it's OK. Pretty sure a 27 year old adult male aggressively coming at a 14 year old after giving her liquor would rightly be called a pedophile and it would be prosecuted as statutory rape even if 100% consensual as the 14 year old can't legally give consent.

We have a resident board expert we can ask on these matters, perhaps we should. :lol:

Kiss my ass do not drag me into this shit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:54 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
I’m not even sure that I believe in a concept such as “morality.” Our laws are primarily designed to protect those of means from those without means and to at least give the impression that they are a net plus for the individual motives of all citizens equally.

:salut:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
chaspoppcap wrote:
do not drag me into this shit.

That's what she said.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:19 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:
do not drag me into this shit.

That's what she said.

SWUNG ON AND BELTED!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Actions have consequences.

There is a societal cost for adultery. As well as a personal and psychological cost as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Attaboy.

Using Catholic thought to try and explain your atheism.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Oh, please. Neither of you believe that hogwash.

The wealthy could always pay for their own protection.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:51 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

If anything, our system is built to supress the poor for the benefit of the middle class. You think the rich are worried about the poor getting a living wage and paying a higher percentage of taxes than anyone else?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:04 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I do indeed believe it to a great extent, but that doesn’t mean I’m advocating for anarchy or acting as though all laws are bad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:08 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I do indeed believe it to a great extent, but that doesn’t mean I’m advocating for anarchy or acting as though all laws are bad.

A law can protect all of us equally, without all of us have equal means.

Like dolphin aid, you don't really believe that hogwash. The wealthy have alarms, poorer neighborhoods have burglar bars.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next