It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brian Williams
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
wdelaney72 wrote:
Chus wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Chus wrote:
FOX is a network built on lies, and they have a huge audience.

AHAHAHAHAH, OH BROTHER.

Not even close to comparable.

Fox News is crap. CNN, NBC, and the others are all guility of the same crap from the other direction. The difference here is your poster child got caught red handed with something specific. He's busted. He fucked up. Time to go.

I'm not talking about agendas and propaganda. FOX has been caught lying too many times to count.

He isn't my poster child. I never watched him. All I'm saying is that if he has to lose his job for lying, then so do quite a few other people. Anybody who claimed there are "no go zones" in England and France needs to be fired immediately.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I meant NBC's poster child.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
What's up with the without pay bit? I doubt there's anything in his contract about not telling fish tales. I guess NBC's lawyers wanna create more work for themselves and whomever represents Brian Williams. So they'll end up paying 2 sets of lawyers and Williams back pay by the time it's over.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:18 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
The sad part is the truth about what he did was impressive enough without the embellishment.
He was flying with a patrol during a war. The first time I laid eyes on this guy,he reminded me of someone trying to look dignified and serious but came off as a 3 dollar bill. I guess some 30 years later,it looks like that was true.

i thought this too. there were a few helicopters in the pack they were traveling with, and the one in front of him got hit by an RPG. that could have just as easily been his helicopter... and i dont think any one of us has told a story without embellishing a bit. problem is his whole career is supposed to be defined by the truth and he should know that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
IkeSouth wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
The sad part is the truth about what he did was impressive enough without the embellishment.
He was flying with a patrol during a war. The first time I laid eyes on this guy,he reminded me of someone trying to look dignified and serious but came off as a 3 dollar bill. I guess some 30 years later,it looks like that was true.

i thought this too. there were a few helicopters in the pack they were traveling with, and the one in front of him got hit by an RPG. that could have just as easily been his helicopter... and i dont think any one of us has told a story without embellishing a bit. problem is his whole career is supposed to be defined by the truth and he should know that.

The story I heard was that he wasn't in the same pack of helicoptors where one got hit. One got hit and then an hour later his helicopter took off from base.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:13 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hussra wrote:
What's up with the without pay bit? I doubt there's anything in his contract about not telling fish tales. I guess NBC's lawyers wanna create more work for themselves and whomever represents Brian Williams. So they'll end up paying 2 sets of lawyers and Williams back pay by the time it's over.

I'm guessing he either comes back sooner than in six months or never comes back at all. Probably never comes back at all.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Chus wrote:
I'm not talking about agendas and propaganda. FOX has been caught lying too many times to count.

He isn't my poster child. I never watched him. All I'm saying is that if he has to lose his job for lying, then so do quite a few other people. Anybody who claimed there are "no go zones" in England and France needs to be fired immediately.

because fox, msnbc, and cnn are not news sources as much as we are used to thinking they are. they are essentially editorial sections of the newspaper. its basically commentary 99% of the time. the nightly news is supposed to be unbiased and just the facts. the reason brian williams and others before him had been so successful even with their political leanings is because they seemed to be only interested in presenting factual information. either side embraced him or brokaw, or rather. of course they are just human.

but good golly we take military stuff seriously here. i dont' watch the news or care at all but i can see how this would be bad for what brian williams does for a living vs what maddow or o'reilly do on their respective channel for theirs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:39 pm 

Bill O'Reilly had his own Brian Williams moment. Maybe he shouldn't have danced on Williams' grave.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cbs-corr ... ing-2015-2

We accept your resignation, Bill.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Or probably not.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ex-nbc-burea ... -war-riot/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:19 am 

Chus wrote:
Bill O'Reilly had his own Brian Williams moment. Maybe he shouldn't have danced on Williams' grave.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cbs-corr ... ing-2015-2

We accept your resignation, Bill.

I dont watch every second of Bill O Reilly, but I saw him sticking up for Williams on a couple interviews. Saying something like "anyone who is taking joy in this young man's issues should look in the mirror."

EDIT/ADD

Here it is

Bill O’Reilly Defends Brian Williams from ‘Sewer’ of the Internet
by Matt Wilstein | 11:33 am, February 10th, 2015 VIDEO

Bill O’Reilly offered up a surprising amount of compassion for Brian Williams during his appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night, saying he’s inclined to give the NBC Nightly News anchor the benefit of the doubt, as long as it doesn’t come out that there are more instances of exaggeration in his actual reporting.

“I feel that anybody who is enjoying the destruction of this man, you’ve got to look at yourself here,” the Fox News host told Jimmy Kimmel. “And there’s a lot of people that seem to be real happy that his career’s going down the drain. That disturbs me.”

O’Reilly said Williams “made a mistake” and will lose his job if more instances of lying are uncovering. “He can get one,” he added, before telling Kimmel his own Iraq helicopter story, albeit one that did not include supposed RPG fire. “It’s intense,” O’Reilly said, explaining that he could see why someone who try to puff up those war stories, especially on late night TV in order to not sound like a “dweeb.”

“Look, every public person in this country is a target,” O’Reilly said of his “compassion” for Williams’ situation. “And with the internet — and you know what it is, it’s a sewer — and these people delight in seeing famous people being taken apart. And I just think it’s wrong. I mean, we’re human beings just like everybody else.”

“If there’s a doubt with Brian Williams, I’m going to give it to him,” O’Reilly said.

On his Fox show last week, O’Reilly said he suspected Williams was just trying to seem “cool” when he told the exaggerated helicopter story repeatedly over the years.

Watch video below, via ABC:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:25 am 

Bill is doing a lot of talking out of both sides of his mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhRcbopPch4

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:09 am 

Chus wrote:
Bill is doing a lot of talking out of both sides of his mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhRcbopPch4

I cant watch that at work (no sound) but I dont doubt it.

The Kimmel interview was a few weeks ago and I remember thinking it was refreshing that O Reilly was being rational.

I believe most of what O Reilly says is an act anyway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:43 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
As of 04/27/15:The internal investigation found 11 questionable statements made by Williams, The Washington Post reports, citing an unnamed source. Williams has been suspended from NBC for six months.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:25 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
As of 04/27/15:The internal investigation found 11 questionable statements made by Williams, The Washington Post reports, citing an unnamed source. Williams has been suspended from NBC for six months.

Bill O'Reilly has had at least that many, and he keeps his job.

FOX claims to be a news network. Why isn't O'Reilly held to the same standard as Williams?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:13 am 

because whether they consider themselves a news network or not (neither msnbc/cnn/fox really consider themselves news networks, just commentary) bill o'reilly isn't a newscaster. he's a talkshow host who comments on his own reality of the news. He, maddow, whoever the hell you want to talk about aren't held to the same standards as tom brokaw, kati couric, dan rather, brian williams, etc etc because its a totally different position. You EXPECT that the former will bend the truth to their point. its just how it works.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:22 am 

False. Bill O'Reilly fancies himself as a journalist. Many of the documented lies he told, where from when he was reporting what was happening, like covering the Falklands War. He falsely claimed that he carried his wounded cameraman away, as the army was firing on them, despite the fact that he was 1200 miles from the fighting. That's just one of his many whoppers.

It's an apples to apples situation.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:39 am 

"journalists" lie all. the. time. its why nobody gives a shit. thats why i can't fathom why people are warblegarblign about bill ofreaking reilly.

if its apples to apples we are talking a honeycrip to crab situation. Brian williams is in a totally different position of power. but keep fighting the good fight complaining about fox news. thats worked.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:49 am 

hnd wrote:
"journalists" lie all. the. time. its why nobody gives a shit. thats why i can't fathom why people are warblegarblign about bill ofreaking reilly.

Then why does Williams lose his job, but O'Reilly keeps his?

hnd wrote:
if its apples to apples we are talking a honeycrip to crab situation. Brian williams is in a totally different position of power. but keep fighting the good fight complaining about fox news. thats worked.

You are the one making this about FOX News. I'm just curious as to why the same people who are dancing on Williams' grave, are making excuses for Bill O'Reilly, when they are guilty of the same thing.

http://fair.org/blog/2015/02/21/bill-or ... an-others/

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:52 am 

Chus wrote:
hnd wrote:

Williams isn't a talk show host.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:57 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Chus wrote:
hnd wrote:

O'Reilly fabricated many stories when he was a reporter, and he now works for a "news" network. A news network that has been guilty of telling lies too many times to count.

I wish some people would just be honest, and say that they are happy that a liberal got caught lying.

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:58 am 

Chus wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Chus wrote:
hnd wrote:

O'Reilly fabricated many stories when he was a reporter, and he now works for a "news" network. A news network that has been guilty of telling lies too many times to count.

I wish some people would just be honest, and say that they are happy that a liberal got caught lying.

If Brian Williams hosted talk show on MSNBC he wouldn't even been suspended. Completely different job.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:00 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Chus wrote:

If Brian Williams hosted talk show on MSNBC he wouldn't even been suspended. Completely different job.

Bill O'Reilly said that it is important for a news network to tell the truth, and not push ideology. Who from FOX should be fired for the lies about the "No-go zones" in England and France?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:02 am 

Chus wrote:
hnd wrote:

hnd wrote:

You are the one making this about FOX News. I'm just curious as to why the same people who are dancing on Williams' grave, are making excuses for Bill O'Reilly, when they are guilty of the same thing.

http://fair.org/blog/2015/02/21/bill-or ... an-others/

i'm making it about fox news because thats where bill o'reilly resides. 1 million viewers vs 8 million. one is a newscaster for THE nightly news on a broadcast network reporting the news with very little commentary if any at all while the other is renowned commentator with a show people watch on a cable station before they go to bed at night.

people expect one to lie, they dont' expect the other to. bill o'reilly to me is bob the reporter at the sauk valley daily gazette. he's really a nobody. be HAPPY THATS THE CASE.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:06 am 

The level of truthfulness you expect from a news network depends on the size of their audience?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:14 am 

if none of this has helped you see this difference between the 2 people and their occupational and social positions, i don't see how anything else is going to help. its not about truthfulness. thats not what any of this is about. if you think stations give 2 shits about that, god help you. its about ratings...the nightly news is in an everlasting ratings war with cbs and abc. these decisions are not moral decisions, they are strategic business decisions. bill has twice the ratings of cnn/msnbc. msnbc is failing miserably and cnn is like fox's little brother is some of the retardation they air. fox is not in any position to lose viewers so why in the hell would they change anything?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:30 am 

hnd wrote:
if none of this has helped you see this difference between the 2 people and their occupational and social positions, i don't see how anything else is going to help. its not about truthfulness. thats not what any of this is about. if you think stations give 2 shits about that, god help you. its about ratings...the nightly news is in an everlasting ratings war with cbs and abc. these decisions are not moral decisions, they are strategic business decisions. bill has twice the ratings of cnn/msnbc. msnbc is failing miserably and cnn is like fox's little brother is some of the retardation they air. fox is not in any position to lose viewers so why in the hell would they change anything?

I understand the differences in their jobs, but I still don't know what ratings has to do with anything. When the Williams stuff first broke, O'Reilly went on TV, and proclaimed that both men had an important job that included telling the truth. He even cited the founding fathers, you know, cuz 'murica. Once the stories about O'Reilly telling numerous lies starting popping up everywhere, his tune changed, and now he was just hosting an opinion show. He wants it both ways.

Thank you for admitting that FOX is just full of shit.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:48 am 

Chus wrote:
hnd wrote:

I understand the differences in their jobs, but I still don't know what ratings has to do with anything. When the Williams stuff first broke, O'Reilly went on TV, and proclaimed that both men had an important job that included telling the truth. He even cited the founding fathers, you know, cuz 'murica. Once the stories about O'Reilly telling numerous lies starting popping up everywhere, his tune changed, and now he was just hosting an opinion show. He wants it both ways.

i guess i just can't help you with the ratings stuff. why are they different? ratings. why are ratings important? because it shows they are different.

and for the record...

1. i've never insinuated that fox was not and 2. pssssst. they are all full of shit. your attraction to fox is off putting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:02 pm 

Chus wrote:
hnd wrote:

hnd wrote:
i guess i just can't help you with the ratings stuff. why are they different? ratings. why are ratings important? because it shows they are different.

I understand that network news has a larger audience. In my world, it's important for an outlet that thinks of themselves as a fair and balanced news organization, to be truthful, no matter the size of their audience. Fox promoting the false idea of "no-go zones" in what can only be described as a way to scare their audience into believing that the president is weak, is just as bad as Williams embellishing his stories.

I think you are greatly overstating the social impact of network news. This isn't the old days, where everybody is sitting in front of the TV, watching the nightly news. The internet, and social media changed that a long time ago.

hnd wrote:
and for the record...

1. i've never insinuated that fox was not and

Unfortunately, we have people here who try to quote FOX as some sort of serious source.

hnd wrote:
2. pssssst. they are all full of shit. your attraction to fox is off putting.

I guess I just can't help you understand my point, which was never about FOX. It's about an obvious double standard. If you disagree, fine. But, take your insulting tone somewhere else.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:54 pm 

I (enjoy was the wrong word) do watch Fox News, but I watch them all and they are all pieces of shit from time to time.

Last edited by Hawg Ass on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:56 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hawg Ass wrote:
I enjoy Fox News.

What is it that you enjoy about it? To say absolutely nothing about the content, the presentation is unbearable: loud music, overwrought graphics, everything meant to be "in-your-face," it's a sensory assault. On second thought, maybe that is saying something about the content.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next