It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
hazing YES

binge drinking no

rape Not even close...as a guy who lived in a coed dorm at dePaul and a frat at Arizona....had many more issues in the dorm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:13 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
bigfan wrote:
Frank making comments about something he doesnt know anything about? ITS UNPOSSIBLE!
Except that you are the poster child for doing this across the board, and have been for years?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:14 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
To me your first sentence describes a lot of college campuses in general though, not just the Greek life.
The fraternity system is designed to foster an environment that makes it easier to accomplish and be hidden from public view. They live in a self made bubble and even have special relationships with the university that other organizations and people don't have.

The things the frat guys got away with would have gotten anyone else on campus arrested, kicked off university property, or even kicked out of the university.

If fraternities are just like any other organization why do they operate under a different set of rules than any other campus organization?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:15 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
To me your first sentence describes a lot of college campuses in general though, not just the Greek life.
The fraternity system is designed to foster an environment that makes it easier to accomplish and be hidden from public view. They live in a self made bubble and even have special relationships with the university that other organizations and people don't have.

The things the frat guys got away with would have gotten anyone else on campus arrested, kicked off university property, or even kicked out of the university.

If fraternities are just like any other organization why do they operate under a different set of rules than any other campus organization?

It sounds like you just described athletic departments too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:15 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Yup. Your point?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:16 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Yup. Your point?

Nothing at all, just that it is not just frats that may get some special treatment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:17 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Nothing at all, just that it is not just frats that may get some special treatment.
They do though, even more than the athletic department.

It really comes down to what frats get away with in terms of housing. Athletes live in the dorms or off campus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
things that need to be banned/repealed/what have you:

1. Daylight Savings Time
2. Fraternities
3. Tipping
4. Lack of changing tables in Men's rooms.
5. Cops shooting black guys on the daily

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:21 am 

bigfan wrote:
hazing YES

binge drinking no

rape Not even close...as a guy who lived in a coed dorm at dePaul and a frat at Arizona....had many more issues in the dorm

That's your personal experience. Im not sure that's true overall. In fact, Im pretty sure its not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:21 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

It really comes down to what frats get away with in terms of housing. Athletes live in the dorms or off campus.

Athletes have their own housing on campuses. I think they both need to be cleaned up but to say it is going away I just don't believe it is factual.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Indiana was supposedly a "dry campus". Yet, the fraternities that were on campus all somehow held parties. Great raging keggers or pledges whose only job was to open cans and pour for you.

Pretty much the set up is sororities were dry or people were allowed personal stashes. But the hardcore binge drinking was done at fraternities. Who cares if there place gets trashed since they had pledges stay up past 4am cleaning up. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
bigfan wrote:
hazing YES

binge drinking no

That's your personal experience. Im not sure that's true overall. In fact, Im pretty sure its not.

My personal EXPERIENCE v Your estimates, thus making your claims "in fact' correct. How can I argue that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:28 am 

The tailgates at IU were another great example. The Greek system had their own section that was nuts. They had pledges get there at 5am to reserve their spots and they'd pull up with 50+ cases and bottles of cheap liquor. Students also tailgated and drank heavily but it's different between a group of 10 huddled around the car versus 1,000. Competition and disagreements are a little more prevalent.

The year after I graduated they banned hard liquor in the Greek area. I'm sure it was because they were littering.

bigfan you're full of shit.

Hawg Ass wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Athletes have their own housing on campuses. I think they both need to be cleaned up but to say it is going away I just don't believe it is factual.
They do?

Not at my school or any school I know of.

rogers park bryan wrote:
[

That's a valid point. You cant eliminate ALL of it. It does seem like frats have a lot of those issues, though.

And like I said, there are great aspects of The Greek Life, but the negatives might outweigh the positives.[/quote]

I'd like to know the great aspects.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:31 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Indiana was supposedly a "dry campus". Yet, the fraternities that were on campus all somehow held parties. Great raging keggers or pledges whose only job was to open cans and pour for you.

Pretty much the set up is sororities were dry or people were allowed personal stashes. But the hardcore binge drinking was done at fraternities. Who cares if there place gets trashed since they had pledges stay up past 4am cleaning up. :lol:
Yeah. It was nuts.

At Purdue, the frats would even be open about what they could do and the university or the cops couldn't touch them. There were all these weird rules even though it was technically university property.

One fraternity built a 10 foot high wall directly across from the engineering mall every year. It was insane. The frat ran out of money and eventually folded though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:32 am 

bigfan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
bigfan wrote:
hazing YES

binge drinking no

My personal EXPERIENCE v Your estimates, thus making your claims "in fact' correct. How can I argue that.

I have personal experience too. The place I hung out at was an underground frat. Eventually I found out what they got kicked off campus for. Guess what it was?

I just didnt share it because it's just that, personal experience, not an overall description of the situation

Here are two articles citing three different studies (linked in articles) showing that frat guys are three times as likely to rape.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/24/rape-sexual-assault-ban-frats

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/09/opinion/foubert-fraternities-rape/

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:32 am 

good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
[

That's a valid point. You cant eliminate ALL of it. It does seem like frats have a lot of those issues, though.

And like I said, there are great aspects of The Greek Life, but the negatives might outweigh the positives.

I'd like to know the great aspects.[/quote]
Should ask all the experts that were not in frats but know all about them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:34 am 

is it "The Frat" "The Guy" or just the fact a bunch of 18 and 19 year old guys have a house and are throwing a party???? Maybe thats it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:34 am 

bigfan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
[

And like I said, there are great aspects of The Greek Life, but the negatives might outweigh the positives.

I'd like to know the great aspects.

Should ask all the experts that were not in frats but know all about them.[/quote]
You shouldn't assume someone was never involved with a frat just because they dont beat their chest in favor of them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:35 am 

We played the "Underground Frat" in basketball and kicked their asses.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:35 am 

bigfan wrote:
is it "The Frat" "The Guy" or just the fact a bunch of 18 and 19 year old guys have a house and are throwing a party???? Maybe thats it?

The studies Ive found indicate it's The Frat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:36 am 

So, at DePaul, where they have frats that dont have houses....all these guys are more likely to be a rapist?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:37 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
They do?

You've never heard of athletic teams having their own "separate" housing for members of their team? I find that hard to believe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:39 am 

bigfan wrote:
So, at DePaul, where they have frats that dont have houses....all these guys are more likely to be a rapist?

No, that's not how it works.

Its not saying, every frat member is more likely to rape. Its an average of rapes.

Anyway, Ive supported my position with studies, facts, and added some personal experience. Hope that's enough for you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:39 am 

spanky wrote:
You've never heard of athletic teams having their own "separate" housing for member soy their team? I find that hard to believe.
The NCAA got rid of all athletic dorms in 1996.

At Purdue, they stayed in the dorms with other students or lived off campus and got reimbursed for it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
spanky wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
They do?

You've never heard of athletic teams having their own "separate" housing for members of their team? I find that hard to believe.

It was hard to see anything over that 10ft high fence

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:44 am 

bigfan wrote:
Should ask all the experts that were not in frats but know all about them.

Instead of being bitchy you could list them.

I'll help you out:
brotherhood (friends for life)
charitable events

Here's what they really meant:
great parties
great relationship with x and y sorority
test bank!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:45 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
bigfan wrote:

No, that's not how it works.

Its not saying, every frat member is more likely to rape. Its an average of rapes.

Anyway, Ive supported my position with studies, facts, and added some personal experience. Hope that's enough for you.

Your "STUDIES" say Frat Guys are 300% more likely to rape.

Seems pretty simple in 'Thats how it works" and hanging at an "underground frat" places you at some dudes house drinking beers with the lights off. You even admit you didnt know it was a Frat?

Not in any denial that there is binge drinking or rapes at these frats, but the thought that its because its a GREEK system or a frat is naive. Its 18 and 19 year olds being idiots and the envrionment of the party creates the environment for this to happen. Its an environment that would happen if it was or wasnt a FRAT. Close the frats and someone will buy the building, reopen it and a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds will move in, they will have big parties and people will binge drink and rapes will happen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:46 am 

TEST BANK....lol...

There hasnt been a test bank in a frat in 30 years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next