It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Geracis
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:47 am 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
Looks like Mr. Charisma married a real winner.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chicagoinc/ct-geraci-dogwalker-verdict-0715-chicago-inc-20160714-story.html

Quote:
The wealthy wife of prominent Chicago bankruptcy attorney Peter Francis Geraci and a 54-year-old dog walker got into the same River North elevator three years ago — and they've been fighting ever since.

A Cook County jury has found that the altercation that took place inside that elevator was Holly Geraci's fault. And it has ordered her to pay the dog walker, Robin Di Buono, $275,000 in damages.

The jury's finding Wednesday that Geraci battered Di Buono, and not the other way around, appears to be a spectacular own goal for her and her high-profile husband, who have now filed and lost multiple lawsuits in connection with the incident.

After a three-day trial, jurors backed Di Buono's counterclaim that Holly Geraci grabbed her from behind and scratched her after she got on the elevator with two small dogs at the Geracis' condo building in the 300 block of West Hubbard Street in August 2013.

Di Buono described the court battle as "a nightmare."

"I broke down in tears and the jurors came and hugged me afterward and said, 'Nobody should have to go through what you have experienced,'" Di Buono said.

"It was not happiness, just a huge release of stress. I don't have much money — my cable is about to be cut off — so it was enormously stressful to be sued by a family with almost limitless resources," Di Buono said.

Holly Geraci alleged Di Buono had repeatedly punched her in the head in an unprovoked attack. The Geracis' lawyers even built a life-size replica of the elevator and brought it into the courtroom during the trial, though it did not have functioning sliding doors, according to Di Buono's attorney, Tom Bilyk.

Robin Di Buono won a counterclaim in civil court against the wife of bankruptcy attorney Peter Francis Geraci, who claimed the dog walker had battered her in a River North elevator. Bilyk said the judgment showed that Holly Geraci's testimony "is never going to support any finding in her favor of any kind."

The highly litigious Geracis, who unsuccessfully pursued a criminal case against Di Buono before suing her in civil court, were previously twice castigated by judges for bringing lawsuits that were "palpable nonsense" against the condo association that runs their building.

Despite the latest defeat, the Geracis remain unbowed. Their attorney, Jonathan Parker, issued an emailed statement on Thursday again asserting that "Mrs. Geraci was brutally attacked in an elevator in her own building."

"The adverse judgment was the result of numerous erroneous rulings by the trial court, and misconduct by the opposing attorney," he added, predicting a reverse on appeal.

Di Buono acknowledged she does not expect to see the $275,000 any time soon. "It's never been about money for me, it's been about standing my ground and not letting them walk over me," she said.

By the time the case is finally resolved, the Geracis may no longer live at the West Hubbard building. The incident and the ensuing dispute with their neighbors prompted them to purchase an $8.63 million penthouse at the Ritz-Carlton two years ago, said to be the most expensive unfinished condo ever sold in the city.

Peter Francis Geraci — best known for his late night TV ads — last week told the Tribune that he and his wife plan to move in next year.

They won the right to do so after prevailing in yet another lengthy battle, this one against a neighbor who wanted to buy the same condo.

Post subject: Re: The Geracis
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
I find the dogwalker's claims hard to believe. They seem like a delightful couple.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/tribune-peter-francis-geraci-verbal-assault-arrest-hubbard-condo-office/Content?oid=912169

As was widely reported, Geraci, who advertises his bankruptcy services on late-night TV, was arrested on April 24 after police were called to his condo building at 333 W. Hubbard around 8:30 PM. Police spokesman Matthew Jackson said, "They spoke with 'victim one,' who related that he was involved in a verbal altercation with this offender."

The complainants were three men in the condo's management office. The offender was Geraci, who according to Jackson had been "belligerent" and "pushed a desk aside with a clenched fist" as he "verbally assaulted the victims." By the time police arrived on the scene, however, Geraci was gone. Jackson says one victim "relocated with the police to the tenth floor of the building, where they observed the offender walking down the hallway. The police after confirmation of his identity arrested him. He was taken to the 18th District lockup."

At Larrabee and Division, Geraci was held for "verbal assault," a class C misdemeanor. For example, "if you threaten to kick my ass, that's an assault," Jackson explained. "Words used that make you believe that you are about to receive a battery. The offender expressed himself to the three victims and made them believe he was capable of giving them a battery."

There were 5,512 reported simple assaults in Chicago last year, and countless threatened ass kickings that never wound up in the papers. But if there's anything people dislike more than a lawyer, it's a lawyer who advertises. Even the police spokesman couldn't resist a shot: "The notable attorney lost his cool," Jackson mused. Neither Jackson nor the police officer who filed the report actually heard the alleged assault. Several calls to the management company to speak to the three "victims" went unanswered and unreturned. But Geraci was willing to talk.

On the night in question, Geraci and his wife returned from dinner to their tenth-floor condo to find "a hole in the wall above where my doorplate used to be. It was ripped off. You know you rip something off of plasterboard and everything comes with it? We look around and realize they changed everybody's nameplate on the floor except ours."

Geraci was steamed. He had litigation pending against the developer and had made complaints about the management. "I said, you know, they did this on purpose." He went downstairs to the management office to complain. "I got a two-thousand-dollar silk suit on, thousand-dollar pair of shoes....I walk in and the three of these guys are sitting there, and they're all big, young guys, and although there's a counter there, I go up and I say, 'What did you do to my doorplate, you idiot?' The minute I get the sentence out of my mouth, he picks up the phone with his thumb--he's one of these thumb dialers, they dial real fast, most of them--and he says, 'I'm calling 911.' And he shouts into the phone, 'He's trespassing here, threatening me!' I said, 'Give me the phone.' He gives me the phone!"

Geraci took the phone and asked the operator to send a supervisor. "I wanted a supervisor because I'm not going to be abused by a bunch of beat cops." Geraci handed back the phone, told the manager the condo's books better be in order, threatened to sue, said "I've really had enough of you people," and returned to his apartment. "If that's a verbal altercation that you can get arrested for in this city we all better move someplace."

He was taking photos of the damage when the police arrived: "Four of them, in flak jackets." Geraci doesn't know whether a supervisor was among them, but his hands were cuffed behind his back and he was taken to the 18th District lockup, where, he says, "they handcuffed me to a wall in a holding cell."

Geraci thinks the arrest was payback too. He'd written a letter complaining about drug dealers on Hubbard between Clark and LaSalle and sent it to the 18th District commander, cc'ing Mayor Daley and Superintendent Hillard. "I understand when you send a letter to the mayor it goes through the system like Ex-Lax. It goes right down to the beat cops with your name on it."

He thinks he'd been there about a half an hour when two men were brought in and chained to the wall across from him. "Then a detective comes in, he squats down in front of me, and he whispers, 'Are you the guy that made the complaint?' And he says, 'You see these guys in back of ya? We picked 'em up on your complaint.'

"I'm trying to think, what did I do here? He goes, 'They're prostitutes from Hubbard Street.' And it dawns on me: it's the stupid letter I wrote about drug dealers, and here's this guy telling me that he's arresting people, putting them in the same cell with me, for what, what? He goes, 'Oh, I'll expedite your process.' That was charming. Now I'm looking at these guys and they're looking at me, thinking, oh my god, what happens next?

"So they take those guys out, I'm still cuffed there, they bring two more guys in. I'm still there at 11:30 at night in the holding cell, and here's where it really gets good. They're playing my TV commercials over the speaker in the police station. The coppers are coming up to the cell, 'Hey, can I do a bankruptcy?'"

Geraci says he was finally released at 4:30 in the morning.

"This was done deliberately to intimidate me on the part of this condominium association and the police department, and they do it to a lot of people. I've got all this stuff documented, a lot of the stuff is already in litigation, and there will be more to come. I am not going to be falsely accused by three goons that want to keep me from looking at the books of my own condo association and then taunted and humiliated by the police and just do nothing."

Geraci goes to court May 28, where if convicted he could face a $1,500 fine or 30 days in jail, or both. He wasn't concerned with the penalties, but he wouldn't buy this kind of publicity if he could. Since the arrest hit the papers, people have been approaching him, saying, "Heard you were arrested, Geraci."

"I don't feel good right now," Geraci says.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
jimmypasta wrote:

If you are going to allege that you spend $2K on a suit, then you probably shouldn't have a pic like this one where your pants are so poorly tailored.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:36 am 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
These dipshits are at it again. At least they keep losing.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-geraci-dog-condo-lawsuit-0425-biz-20170424-story.html

Quote:
The wife of a prominent Chicago bankruptcy attorney will have to share the elevator with dogs after losing a federal lawsuit last week against her condo association asking for canine-free carriage.

Holly Geraci filed the housing discrimination lawsuit in March 2015 against the Union Square Condominium Association, where she shares a penthouse with her husband, attorney Peter Francis Geraci. She said fear of dogs amounted to a disability under the Fair Housing Act and sought to avoid riding with them in the close quarters of her building's elevator.

A jury disagreed, finding in favor of the condo association Thursday in U.S. District Court in Chicago.

"They didn't believe that Holly Geraci actually suffered from a disability as it's defined by the Fair Housing Act," Graham Miller, an attorney representing the condo association, said Monday.

Thomas Patterson, an attorney representing Geraci, did not respond Monday to a request for comment. Reached by phone, Geraci hung up after identifying herself.

When the Geracis moved into the development at 333 W. Hubbard St. in 2000, the association didn't allow dogs, but it made an exception for their older Cairn terrier, which weighed 10 pounds. In 2004, the building opened the door for dogs of all kinds, Geraci said in January.

Geraci said she suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder after being attacked by a German shepherd when she was a child and has a fear of large dogs. She filed several complaints with the condo association, asking that she be able to ride the elevator without dogs.

Geraci got into a physical altercation in 2013 on the elevator with dog walker Robin DiBuono, resulting in the first of four lawsuits filed by the Geracis against Union Square. While Geraci claims she was "beaten up," a jury found in favor of DiBuono and awarded her $275,000 in damages. Geraci said in January that they are appealing the decision.

The Geracis also filed two suits against Union Square over damage to their roof deck, both of which were dismissed.

Miller said Thursday's verdict was cheered by the condo association.

"Everybody over at that building, with the exception of the Geracis, was pretty excited about that," Miller said.

Meanwhile, the Geracis won't have to ride with the dogs forever. In July they paid $8.63 million to buy the 6,000-square-foot penthouse at the Ritz-Carlton Residences, taking possession two years after their bid sparked a legal battle with a Mexican billionaire over the right to buy the unfinished 40th-floor digs along North Michigan Avenue.

Geraci said in January that it may take two years to complete the new space, at which time they plan to vacate Union Square. The new penthouse will feature an express elevator from the lobby to their apartment, with no dogs allowed.

While dogs are now free to ride the Union Square elevators with Geraci, Miller said it wouldn't surprise him if the couple appealed the verdict.

"I don't know what they'll do with this case," Miller said. "They certainly take litigation to its extreme."

Post-adolescent asshole disorder.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:47 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Quote:
The Geracis' lawyers even built a life-size replica of the elevator and brought it into the courtroom during the trial, though it did not have functioning sliding doors, according to Di Buono's attorney, Tom Bilyk.

:lol: :lol: :lol: