It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joe Maddon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Don't automatically hate someone because they look or talk differently than you? Don't be afraid to live and socialize with folks who look or possibly talk differently than you?

Exactly. But on the other side of the coin, if you emigrate you should respect the culture of the place you've come to. If you don't, why did you come? If it's simply for economic reasons, maybe you're not the immigrant we want. If we don't have shared values, we don't really have a country.

One of my cousins says this about ultra-Blue city people getting sick of their environment and moving to Red states because it's so much better economically, then complaining that it's not Blue enough.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
People told us that in Montana but it was people moving to Montana to get away from their California or east coast problems but they brought their problems with them and complained they weren't back home.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
People told us that in Montana but it was people moving to Montana to get away from their California or east coast problems but they brought their problems with them and complained they weren't back home.

That is what immediately popped into my mind when he posted that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:49 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
He's correct. Either get on board with being decent or die off. We got too many assholes on this planet. No reason to celebrate them.

It depends what we are talking about. It's ok to be against illegal immigration. It's not ok to be against legal immigrants or citizens moving in.

Here's the thing though- everyone is anti-immigration if we break it down far enough.

Not true

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:02 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
He's correct. Either get on board with being decent or die off. We got too many assholes on this planet. No reason to celebrate them.

It depends what we are talking about. It's ok to be against illegal immigration. It's not ok to be against legal immigrants or citizens moving in.

Here's the thing though- everyone is anti-immigration if we break it down far enough.

Not true

Of course it's true. Pretend your house is a country. Are you going to allow a refugee to live with you? It's just like people who complain about tribalism. Everyone is tribal. You care more about your brother than you do about some guy you don't know. Caring about someone who lives next door more than you care about someone in Zimbabwe is just an extension of that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:09 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Not true

Of course it's true. Pretend your house is a country. Are you going to allow a refugee to live with you? It's just like people who complain about tribalism. Everyone is tribal. You care more about your brother than you do about some guy you don't know. Caring about someone who lives next door more than you care about someone in Zimbabwe is just an extension of that.

I think the following article is a good refutation of the home analogy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vol ... f5d0b64645

But yeah, I would allow a refugee to live with me. I doubt they'd want to :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:52 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Not true

I think the following article is a good refutation of the home analogy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vol ... f5d0b64645

But yeah, I would allow a refugee to live with me. I doubt they'd want to :lol:

Well, I think you know that, at least theoretically, I'm against the entire concept of property rights. But there are entrenched systems and institutions that both you and I found when we were born. Many of them have such widespread acceptance that the mere idea of changing them drastically is nothing more than tilting at windmills.

The ideas that we're discussing here come down to tribalism. And the foundation of the "tribe" is family. We've just seen the whole Chus thing on this board. Outside of Hockey Gay most people agree that "family is off limits." But why? And is it really off limits? Julie DiCaro has a family. She's somebody's daughter. No, Chus's son isn't off limits because he's part of a family. He's off limits because Chus is a member of our tribe.

And you might welcome a refugee into your home, but I'm sure you'd expect him to adhere to certain behaviors. You'd likely rethink your hospitality- and it is hospitality- when a guy started slaughtering chickens in your living room.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
There's also the reality that in today's world, if a country was completely anti-immigration, it would lose out on tons of intellectual capital. I'd prefer that the best minds in the world be welcomed with open arms to work on things like curing cancer or nuclear defense systems. With that, you will get some bad ones too, but that's the cost of doing business.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:02 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
There's also the reality that in today's world, if a country was completely anti-immigration, it would lose out on tons of intellectual capital. I'd prefer that the best minds in the world be welcomed with open arms to work on things like curing cancer or nuclear defense systems. With that, you will get some bad ones too, but that's the cost of doing business.

I doubt many in the PA hellhole Maddon is from are against all immigration.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:04 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:

Sure, and economic prosperity and declining birthrates seem to go hand in hand. A country needs immigration to stay vital. You see what happens with a truly xenophobic country like Japan. And I don't think anyone is against immigration of the best and brightest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:04 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

They are against the implementation of Hispanic people into their society, it would seem.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

They are against the implementation of Hispanic people into their society, it would seem.

Give them an IQ test. Deport the dumb ones.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Some, I assume, are good people.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:07 am 

I think most people aren't against immigration at all. For myriad reason though they are against illegal immigration. You can argue until the cows come home about who is right, to what degree they are and what is their reasoning. That doesn't really matter though.

The question for me is why is it so impossible for a country (us) to agree to a set of standards/laws for immigration that makes the best sense and then stick to that. The reasons why that cannot happen are the bigger concerns to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Should've nuked the state when Bernstein wanted to.

RIP cory.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:09 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Should've nuked the state when Bernstein wanted to.

RIP cory.

I guess I was traveling in your dream nuking?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:10 am 

Yes you were in New Mexico when that all went down.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:13 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
pittmike wrote:
I think most people aren't against immigration at all. For myriad reason though they are against illegal immigration. You can argue until the cows come home about who is right, to what degree they are and what is their reasoning. That doesn't really matter though.

The question for me is why is it so impossible for a country (us) to agree to a set of standards/laws for immigration that makes the best sense and then stick to that. The reasons why that cannot happen are the bigger concerns to me.

I don't see many people championing illegal immigration. I could be wrong.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:15 am 

Nas wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Of course. But there has to be reasons on both sides of the aisle that such a simple matter cannot be resolved. Hint: Some on both sides do not want it resolved totally for different reasons.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:17 am 

pittmike wrote:
Nas wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Of course. But there has to be reasons on both sides of the aisle that such a simple matter cannot be resolved. Hint: Some on both sides do not want it resolved totally for different reasons.

Same reason MANY didn't want to "solve" Healthcare or "save" Medicare. It takes away an issue during election years.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:23 am 
100000 CLUB

How many wedge issues do you need?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:31 am 

Nas wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Are you sure about that? This is an economically depressed coal town that we are talking about here. It's very likely that a majority of the immigrants to the area are illegal immigrants.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:33 am 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Are you sure about that? This is an economically depressed coal town that we are talking about here. It's very likely that a majority of the immigrants to the area are illegal immigrants.

I'm not comfortable making those kind of assumptions. IF that were true that still doesn't change my statement.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:38 am 

Nas wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I'm not comfortable making those kind of assumptions. IF that were true that still doesn't change my statement.
Why aren't you comfortable with it? Where do you think most illegal immigrants end up? Isn't it in poorer areas?

It does change your statement though. If a majority of these immigrants are illegal then it becomes an issue about illegal immigration.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:39 am 

As with many issues, both "sides" are ridiculous on the immigration debate. MANY libs would openly welcome the leadership of ISIS if it could score them political points, and MANY repubtards think the solution to their lack of work is to become completely protectionist and go back to the dark ages while not allowing anyone into the country.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:43 am 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Why aren't you comfortable with it? Where do you think most illegal immigrants end up? Isn't it in poorer areas?

It does change your statement though. If a majority of these immigrants are illegal then it becomes an issue about illegal immigration.

I don't make assumptions about people based on their race.

It doesn't change my point. Who is going around saying they support illegal immigration?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:46 am 

Nas wrote:
Neither am I. It is about economics.

Nas wrote:
It doesn't change my point. Who is going around saying they support illegal immigration?
This is the problem. The assumption here is that the residents of that town are against legal immigration when there is nothing to indicate as such. Maddon could have made it clear but he did not seem to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:46 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
As with many issues, both "sides" are ridiculous on the immigration debate. MANY libs would openly welcome the leadership of ISIS if it could score them political points, and MANY repubtards think the solution to their lack of work is to become completely protectionist and go back to the dark ages while not allowing anyone into the country.

I don't see that at all. This is one of the few issues most people on opposite sides of the aisle agree on.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:47 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:
Neither am I. It is about economics.

Nas wrote:
This is the problem. The assumption here is that the residents of that town are against legal immigration when there is nothing to indicate as such. Maddon could have made it clear but he did not seem to do so.

Can't wait 'till you die and are out of the way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next