It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joe Maddon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
He was talking about whatever he was talking about. That some people lump things together is not his problem.

Anyway, my statement relates to people who just arent decent folk. Which is why Im better than MerlotJoe

He should be more clear then if he wants to talk as tough as he did.

He could be, but doenst have to be. Maybe he's comfortable with the backlash.

People often lumping it all together is his problem based on that logic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:31 am 

How so? If he doesn't care how people interpret it, then why does it matter?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Wow. Joe doubling down on the flawed message.

"Eventually, you’re going to die. And when you die, this is going to change. . . . I have nothing to apologize for."

He really needs a professional PR crisis expert to talk to him because this is a troubling indictment of the culture surrounding the Cubs and their fanbase.

I can never tell if Terry's Peeps is sexy. WHOA--I mean, serious.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:42 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
If he doesn't care, then I can think he was referring to illegal immigration which would make his comments quite stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:45 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
If he doesn't care, then I can think he was referring to illegal immigration which would make his comments quite stupid.

Even if he means legal immigrants, with no jobs (in the town), they ain't saving shit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Maddon has slyly turned that restaurant his family runs in Hazelton into a taqueria . monetize everything .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:53 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Right, but he still doesnt care, so I guess not a problem for him, right?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:58 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Right, but he still doesnt care, so I guess not a problem for him, right?
I don't think Joe Maddon even knows who I am.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:16 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
He's correct. Either get on board with being decent or die off. We got too many assholes on this planet. No reason to celebrate them.

It depends what we are talking about. It's ok to be against illegal immigration. It's not ok to be against legal immigrants or citizens moving in.

Here's the thing though- everyone is anti-immigration if we break it down far enough. Some people don't want foreigners in the country. Some people just don't want them in their neighborhood. Very few people want them living in their home. It's easy for the rich guy who lives in a gated community or in some compound in Palm Beach or Barrington to talk about how great immigration is. Neil Steinberg is pro-immigrant from the leafy suburban paradise of Northbrook. If he's really pro-immigrant why doesn't he live somewhere where immigrants are?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:19 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Neil Steinberg is pro-immigrant from the leafy suburban paradise of Northbrook. If he's really pro-immigrant why doesn't he live somewhere where immigrants are?

Every Goddamn Day

Not sure that last line holds up though. Im pro- (lots of groups of people)

I cant live with all of them

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:22 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
He's correct. Either get on board with being decent or die off. We got too many assholes on this planet. No reason to celebrate them.

It depends what we are talking about. It's ok to be against illegal immigration. It's not ok to be against legal immigrants or citizens moving in.

Here's the thing though- everyone is anti-immigration if we break it down far enough. Some people don't want foreigners in the country. Some people just don't want them in their neighborhood. Very few people want them living in their home. It's easy for the rich guy who lives in a gated community or in some compound in Palm Beach or Barrington to talk about how great immigration is. Neil Steinberg is pro-immigrant from the leafy suburban paradise of Northbrook. If he's really pro-immigrant why doesn't he live somewhere where immigrants are?

I don't think Maddon (and other upper-middle-class people) understand that; they don't get why many others have such angry responses to their lofty ideals.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:24 am 

formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I don't think Maddon (and other upper-middle-class people) understand that; they don't get why many others have such angry responses to their lofty ideals.

Joe bought a really tricked out El Camino so he's down with the cause , man.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:27 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Neil Steinberg is pro-immigrant from the leafy suburban paradise of Northbrook. If he's really pro-immigrant why doesn't he live somewhere where immigrants are?

Every Goddamn Day

But Steinberg obviously could live somewhere less homogeneous than Northbrook. Anyway, I don't want to single him out. He's no different than most privileged liberals.

My point is that expecting immigrants to adopt American values isn't some crime. And "Western culture" isn't some racist dog whistle unless you're willing to take a stand and say that making a woman wear a bag over her head and dropping gays from buildings is just a neutral/different culture.

Pretend you live in a very small country that is just your house. I'm sure you have rules in your house. You expect you daughter to behave a certain way. What if Neil Steinberg told you you should allow another ten year old kid to live in your house and don't worry if she doesn't follow your rules, she's different so fuck you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Parkins often comes off like that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Northbrook is full of Koreans.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:33 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Every Goddamn Day

But Steinberg obviously could live somewhere less homogeneous than Northbrook. Anyway, I don't want to single him out. He's no different than most privileged liberals.

My point is that expecting immigrants to adopt American values isn't some crime. And "Western culture" isn't some racist dog whistle unless you're willing to take a stand and say that making a woman wear a bag over her head and dropping gays from buildings is just a neutral/different culture.

Pretend you live in a very small country that is just your house. I'm sure you have rules in your house. You expect you daughter to behave a certain way. What if Neil Steinberg told you you should allow another ten year old kid to live in your house and don't worry if she doesn't follow your rules, she's different so fuck you?

That is the exact reason I dont let Neil Steinberg make my decisions anymore

I agree with the thing about Western Values and culture. There is a reasonable expectation of that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:33 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Parkins often comes off like that.

Yeah, that's the one thing I don't like about him. Sometimes I wonder if this is a case of having lofty ideals in a gated community or a way of playing it safe on controversial topics.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The Koreans go to South.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:04 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Didnt seem like he was talking about illegal immigration.

If it was unclear it's because someone wanted it to be.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 am 
100000 CLUB

formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Don't automatically hate someone because they look or talk differently than you? Don't be afraid to live and socialize with folks who look or possibly talk differently than you? Those really are lofty ideals that takes a child 5 seconds to achieve.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:10 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The Koreans go to South.

Checks out, all the Korean stuff seems to be around Lake/Milwaukee.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Don't automatically hate someone because they look or talk differently than you? Don't be afraid to live and socialize with folks who look or possibly talk differently than you?

Exactly. But on the other side of the coin, if you emigrate you should respect the culture of the place you've come to. If you don't, why did you come? If it's simply for economic reasons, maybe you're not the immigrant we want. If we don't have shared values, we don't really have a country.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:14 am 

Nas wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Don't automatically hate someone because they look or talk differently than you? Don't be afraid to live and socialize with folks who look or possibly talk differently than you? Those really are lofty ideals that takes a child 5 seconds to achieve.
How much living and socializing with the people that look and talk differently than him is Joe Maddon doing ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:15 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
If we don't have shared values, we don't really have a country.

You believe in society? You're a Trumpet! What a Trumpet! Trumpet! Trumpet!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:15 am 

Nas wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Didnt seem like he was talking about illegal immigration.

If it was unclear it's because someone wanted it to be.

What quote makes it clear? I must have missed it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:16 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Exactly. But on the other side of the coin, if you emigrate you should respect the culture of the place you've come to. If you don't, why did you come? if it's simply for economic reasons, maybe you're not the immigrant we want. If we don't have shared values, we don't really have a country.

Yeah, I better not see paczki in any storefronts next year. Just be american and make me a doughnut.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:16 am 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
How much living and socializing with the people that look and talk differently than him is Joe Maddon doing ?

He usually removes Jose Quintana with two outs in the fifth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:26 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Don't automatically hate someone because they look or talk differently than you? Don't be afraid to live and socialize with folks who look or possibly talk differently than you?

Exactly. But on the other side of the coin, if you emigrate you should respect the culture of the place you've come to. If you don't, why did you come? If it's simply for economic reasons, maybe you're not the immigrant we want. If we don't have shared values, we don't really have a country.

Of course you should respect the culture and try to learn it. That doesn't mean that you have to abandon your own though.

Most of us have shared values, we just spend more time focusing on the things that divide us. I know badrogue17 and nearly every other guy who posts here wants to work hard and provide their family with a better opportunity and life than the one they had. We don't need to listen to the same music, wear the same clothes or talk the same way for that to be understood. As a man, I will always respect that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:27 am 
100000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
Nas wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Socializing? A lot. Not sure about the living part.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:06 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

Maddon's looking at it from one lens (a moral one), and it's a partial lens at that since he has his own interests (moral, financial, etc.). Yet he wants to close his eyes to the enormous problems created by immigration (legal, illegal) in a nation which does not have enough decent jobs as it is. We need to address that. I wish people like him would not ignore this immensely complex problem.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next