It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Dumbasses.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Yes, James Gandolfini died of a heart attack.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
That motherfucker is dead!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
However Tony Sporano lives on to coach badly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:02 am 

MANY believe American elections don't matter so...go figure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:17 am 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Regular Reader wrote:

TRUMP. Trump and always Trump. Fuck Sillary in her dry Caller Bob with a broken twig.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:21 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
We've been rewatching the Sopranos. I think he was a really good actor or at least there was something great about him. Every couple episodes I say how sad it is he is gone. I'm sure my husband is tired of it. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:25 am 

Scooter wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

TRUMP. Trump and always Trump. Fuck Sillary in her dry Caller Bob with a broken twig.

Who mentioned Secretary Clinton???

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
He's alive and well and he won the 3rd at Woodbine last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D42kcCSWUQ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:

They don't, idiot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Whenever this comes up, I always say: yes, that is the conclusion Chase desperately wanted to imply with the cinematography of the last scene of Made in America, that T met a bloody end in front of his family.

My problem is, that ending is not set up AT ALL. Not thematically, not via the narrative nor any sub-plot throughout the whole goddamn series, much less that season, and certainly that episode (Yes, I know Tony and Bobby talk about what it is like to get killed, and Chase pulls from that as foundation for his ending, but those guys were 1) celebrating a mid-life birthday and 2) have killed a lot of people, talk of death is not out of the realm of possibility as idle chit-chat).

Think about it, the crux of that final scene is that Members Only Guy is a New York button-man acting out orders from Phil, despite Phil himself being murdered some number of days previous, and the highest remaining power of the New York family sitting down with Tony and Little Carmine to hash out a truce (very quickly, I might add, intimating that Phil had little support for the war with Tony, and was its sole driving force--we even see this in action in a scene in the middle of the episode, when Phil's consigliere suggests reaching out to Tony to end the war, but is quickly admonished). Are we supposed to believe this lone gunman somehow didn't get the word? Doesn't care about the peace? Or are we supposed to believe that New York will sit down for a truce, then break it in the next couple of days to kill a boss? Bobby is dead and Syl is in a coma, but ostensibly everyone else returned to their normal lives after the sit-down after Phil got killed, and there aren't shootouts in the streets from soldiers on either side who happened to not get word, nor is New York shown in any other scene openly reneging on the deal.

I could STILL swallow the ending as "acceptable" if, at any point in the episode or season, Chase had explored the idea of guys acting on their own to exact justice despite explicit orders not to. Bear in mind, we're not talking about Richie Aprile hounding Beansie after Tony told him to lay off, I'm talking someone taking matters into their own hands and doing something that could re-ignite a war AFTER a tentative peace had been made. We got kinda close to that with Tony B, but the circumstances, from a narrative and thematic sense, were much different.

It's a bad ending not because it isn't supported by the use of cuts and music/SFX cues in the scene, but because it isn't supported by anything done in the series up to that point, and is purely the exercise of a man who had written himself into a corner and decided to use gimmicky cinematography to obfuscate his complete lack of a thorough narrative.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:23 pm 

throughout the sopranos series i always wondered how that guy is still alive. he was so out of shape and sweaty all the time...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

IkeSouth wrote:
throughout the sopranos series i always wondered how that guy is still alive. he was so out of shape and sweaty all the time...

He ate beef and sausage by the fucking carload.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:13 pm 

yeah he was only 51. thats crazy to me. he could have easily had 40 years left in him if he just practiced staying healthy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Best explanation I've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd9OsHsLJ28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:55 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:

The explanation of how MOG fits into the plot of the episode makes zero sense. Patsy fucking Parisi, based on a tenuous connection to Carlo's kid? Come on. There's not even a subtle hint that Patsy's kid was also arrested, which makes it either a huge oversight on Chase's part to write that into the episode to ground the ending, or a non-starter as a plausible explanation for MOG. Either way, the ending remains bad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:56 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Didn't Christopher say something like that to Tony at his intervention?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:56 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Tomorrow I could be on time, but you'll be stupid forever.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:57 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:

The explanation of how MOG fits into the plot of the episode makes zero sense. Patsy fucking Parisi, based on a tenuous connection to Carlo's kid? Come on. There's not even a subtle hint that Patsy's kid was also arrested, which makes it either a huge oversight on Chase's part to write that into the episode to ground the ending, or a non-starter as a plausible explanation for MOG. Either way, the ending remains bad.

The guy who killed Phil was basically an unknown too. Iirc, he was only introduced the episode prior.

I disagree with much of what you wrote in your prior post, but I get what you're saying. But at least you acknowledge Tony died. The people who think the ending meant Tony would be looking over his shoulder his whole life are just plain country dumb.

It's probably the best ending in tv history. Far from bad.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:59 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Tomorrow I could be on time, but you'll be stupid forever.

I loved Furio cursing in Italian when he slipped in the garbage.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Maybe the worst ending I've seen on any show, thought my cable went out. In real life the blow killed him, shit is terrible for the heart..its a young mans drug, on the show I believe he was killed by the guy in the diner..over rated show, had a lot of promise but crappy writing tanked it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:02 pm 

312player wrote:
Maybe the worst ending I've seen on any show

Seinfeld was the worst ending. This ended the only way it could.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Curious Hair wrote:
312player wrote:

I can think of two possible better endings that would have been with no doubt endings

1) The Russians, I mean they where a hanging plotline left unresolved for what 4 seasons. best way to end it,the crew was down. War with New Yordk resolved and the russians roll in an wack everyone in the upper layer to get revenge.
2) The Family in Italy,Tony kinda double crossed them and with Furio left running like he did I see him poising that line. Then boom same thing. It would have made a shit ton more of an ending if the guy in the MO jacket was Furio, that would have been a slam dunk ending

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Whatever, it doesn't matter. The reality is they picked the worst song imaginable to play in the background to the ending of a great show. Making a decision to include Journey as any part of your activities show a complete lack of taste in anything.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:19 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
312player wrote:

I can think of two possible better endings that would have been with no doubt endings

1) The Russians, I mean they where a hanging plotline left unresolved for what 4 seasons. best way to end it,the crew was down. War with New Yordk resolved and the russians roll in an wack everyone in the upper layer to get revenge.
2) The Family in Italy,Tony kinda double crossed them and with Furio left running like he did I see him poising that line. Then boom same thing. It would have made a shit ton more of an ending if the guy in the MO jacket was Furio, that would have been a slam dunk ending

:lol:

2 is terrible on every count. Tony got help from Italy to deal with Phil(they killed some other guy instead). He wasn't on bad terms with them. Also, Tony looked at MOG a few times before turning back to the menu or jukebox. You think he wouldn't recognize Furio? :lol:

the ending was perfect.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:23 pm 

Chas probably thinks the perfect ending to Mad Men would have been for Don Draper to turn to the camera and say "well, through those crazy years, we sure were some...mad men."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:43 pm 

Tony dying was a fine resolution to his arc, and honestly all the subtle foreshadowing of Tony's carelessness and imagery of his death was superbly done (a far cry from what the show was in seasons 1 and 2, a fantastic crime drama that didn't require you to pay as much attention). And I would have liked a war with New York to be the way it went down, because in reality, a Five Families family would absolutely steamroll Tony's "glorified crew" in an all-out war, and finally Tony met a plate of spaghetti he couldn't finish (or whatever metaphor Melfi used).

I just still can't buy its cohesiveness in the context of the episode and season at-large. Hell, playing up the Patsy angle would have worked, if they would have actually played it up, like they did beating you over the head with the perspective changing and death imagery throughout the last few episodes, but they didn't.

And really, I can't think of any other way to end the series that would have worked, at least not one that wouldn't require a whole other season or feature-length film. In fact, wasn't the last season of the show "expanded" after contract disputes with most of the main cast? They were limping to the finish line, Tony dying was all they had time to set up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Ralph said it right before Tony killed him when they were arguing over Ralph killing Pie O My for the insurance. Something like, "All of a sudden you're against killing animals? You eat beef and sausage by the carload!"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:45 pm 

He's dead. Brilliant Finale.

"It all goes black"
-Bobby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:47 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Ralph said it right before Tony killed him when they were arguing over Ralph killing Pie O My for the insurance. Something like, "All of a sudden you're against killing animals? You eat beef and sausage by the carload!"

Chris returning fire in the intervention was awesome. Maybe his best moment