It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
It seems like there is an obsession with the lack of black MLB baseball players. Does it even matter? Aren't there more important issues? No one is crying about the lack of quality white American talent in the NBA.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:07 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Shut the fuck up

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
It seems like there is an obsession with the lack of black MLB baseball players. Does it even matter? Aren't there more important issues? No one is crying about the lack of quality white American talent in the NBA.

In the spirit of Easter, please hire someone to nail you to a cross in the middle of the desert.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

In the spirit of Easter, please hire someone to nail you to a cross in the middle of the desert.

Wait wait... don't forget the spear stabbing!

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Darkside wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

Wait wait... don't forget the spear stabbing!

:evil:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Shouldn't complaining about disproportionate racial and ethnic representation in major sports be a two-way street as it is applied to any given demographic?

If you see disproportionate representation--defined as "deviating from the background racial/ethnic representation of the population from which athletes are culled (generally speaking, the United States)"--as a problem in sports, then shouldn't it be a "problem" wherever said disproportions are found?

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Shouldn't complaining about disproportionate racial and ethnic representation in major sports two-way street as it is applied to any given demographic?

If you see disproportionate representation--defined as "deviating from the background racial/ethnic representation of the population from which athletes are culled (generally speaking, the United States)"--as a problem in sports, then shouldn't it be a "problem" wherever said disproportions are found?

Can we expect you at the next rally demanding there be more white cornerbacks in the NFL?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:36 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Shouldn't complaining about disproportionate racial and ethnic representation in major sports two-way street as it is applied to any given demographic?

Can we expect you at the next rally demanding there be more white cornerbacks in the NFL?

I don't necessarily think that deviation from background racial makeup of the populace in a major sport is a bad thing (It could be, obviously, as the MLB just celebrated the legacy of a man who proved such deviations can be the result of bigotry). Sports, especially professional sports, are a meritocracy before almost all else. There are more black DB's in the NFL because they are better than the other players who played the position at the previous level (or there is a chance that their athleticism and/or size would allow them to excel more than most), some of whom were white.

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

I used to try to draw equivalencies between minorities and whites on every issue too. Then I went to high school and college and learned history and developed a bare minimum of critical thinking skills.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:56 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

I used to try to draw equivalencies between minorities and whites on every issue too. Then I went to high school and college and learned history and developed a bare minimum of critical thinking skills.

And even that was a struggle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:38 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Jermaine Dye
Willie Harris
Carl Everett

[quote="sjboyd0137"][quote="D

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
In the 50s, baseball was the sports ticket out of the rural south. See guys like Banks, Aaron, Mays, Gibson. Gibson was good enough to play on the Globetrotters, but the NBA was a fart at that point so he went to baseball.

As the NBA and NFL have grown in popularity (and gone through expansion) and college programs became integrated, those sports became the way. Because if you didn't have pro talent, you could still get a college degree.

Meanwhile, MLB has preferred to mine the Caribbean and to a far lesser extent Asia for players rather than work with the NCAA. Minor leagues mean 5-6 year apprentice programs for most young black ballplayers out of high school. Add in the urban real estate challenges of baseball vs. basketball, and it seems pretty damned obvious that the perceived path with the highest expected value is to be a shooting guard, wide receiver, or cornerback than a center fielder.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

I have brought that subject up on here numerous times. MLB is really talented but it seemed more talented to me in the 60's and 70's when we had the great black athletes also playing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:29 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

I have brought that subject up on here numerous times. MLB is really talented but it seemed more talented to me in the 60's and 70's when we had the great black athletes also playing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:49 am 
Site Admin

jimmypasta wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

If baseball has a "Golden Age" it's got to be the 50s when there were only 16 big league teams, the color barrier had been broken, and every boy in the U.S. aspired to play baseball as his number one sport.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I think there were a lot more Blacks in the 60's and 70's. I didn't google it though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:08 am 
Site Admin

jimmypasta wrote:
I think there were a lot more Blacks in the 60's and 70's. I didn't google it though.

There were also more teams.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:18 am 

Culture and economics are the primary reasons that blacks are steered towards basketball these days.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:26 am 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Culture and economics are the primary reasons that blacks are steered towards basketball these days.

It's fine though. I'd like to see every kid- black and white- playing baseball because baseball is my favorite sport. But people get to make their own choices. The next Willie Mays might be on a skateboard ramp. But that's up to him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:39 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

It's fine though. I'd like to see every kid- black and white- playing baseball because baseball is my favorite sport. But people get to make their own choices. The next Willie Mays might be on a skateboard ramp. But that's up to him.

It is definitely a matter of choice. I don't see a large outcry from blacks on the subject either. Little presumptuous but I don't get the impression that blacks are upset about being underrepresented in the game of baseball. Don't play it and thus shouldn't be represented.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:33 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

that's the way i like to look at it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

It is definitely a matter of choice. I don't see a large outcry from blacks on the subject either. Little presumptuous but I don't get the impression that blacks are upset about being underrepresented in the game of baseball. Don't play it and thus shouldn't be represented.

My sense has been the people that talk about this a lot are white and some sort of do gooders. They also usually neglect to count the African-Caribbean players.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Fasano's
Baseball is quite the bit harder to arrange. Number of kids plus the equipment. Can be a pain in the ass. It's not a bad thing that kids are choosing other sports. Baseball will survive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
WL Bill wrote:
Baseball is quite the bit harder to arrange. Number of kids plus the equipment. Can be a pain in the ass. It's not a bad thing that kids are choosing other sports. Baseball will survive.

Baseball won't only survive, but it's primed for a comeback as kids will need to find a sport to play when their parents don't sign the football permission slip.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:26 pm 

Some have suggested one issue is the fact that football and basketball coaches in high school discourage their players from playing baseball.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:38 pm 

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Some have suggested one issue is the fact that football and basketball coaches in high school discourage their players from playing baseball.

Name names!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
You got me blacklisted at Hop Sing's?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:24 pm 

http://deadspin.com/mlb-is-still-having ... 1794496617

http://nebula.wsimg.com/d96daf1e011b077 ... oworigin=1

Quote:
Orlando, FL – April 18, 2017 The 2017 Major League Baseball Racial and Gender Report Card (RGRC) was released today and showed decreases in both racial and gender hiring practices. Major League Baseball had a B on the issue of racial hiring practices, a C for gender hiring practices, and an overall grade of C+ in the 2017 MLB Racial and Gender Report Card (MLB RGRC). The report was released in conjunction with the 70th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking MLB’s color barrier.

MLB reached a score of 82 for racial hiring practices, down from 90.5 in 2016. MLB’s grade for gender hiring practices was 70 points, down from 74.3 in 2016. Finally, MLB achieved a combined grade of a C+ with 76 points, which is down from the 82.4 score as in the 2016 report. The decreases were, in part, a result of a new grading scale that better represented America’s changing demographics.

Commissioner Rob Manfred’s League Office maintained the good grade achieved in 2016 for racial hiring practices as it received an A- for hiring people of color. However, it dropped to a C- for gender hiring practices. People of color comprise 28.1 percent of the Central Office professional staff. Women comprise 29.3 percent of the total Central Office professional employees. Fifteen executives (Vice President or higher) who work at the Commissioner’s Office, MLB Advanced Media and the MLB Network are persons of color. 20 female employees hold executive positions in central baseball.

Disproportion bad.

Quote:
MLB received an A or A+ for race in the following categories: Coaches, players and diversity initiatives.

For the 2016 season, people of color held 44.3 percent of the coaching positions for all MLB teams. This number is a 6.1 percent increase from 2015. This is an all-time high since it was first recorded in the 1993 RGRC.

Disproportion good.

It appears to me that "disproportions" aren't really the problem, in an absolute sense.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
WL Bill wrote:

Baseball won't only survive, but it's primed for a comeback as kids will need to find a sport to play when their parents don't sign the football permission slip.

Lacrosse and soccer have reaped the no football rewards.