It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: GOP Congress
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Cashman wrote:
Right...but if you create John's dooohickey and file a patent, isnt it the same? (I am against patents on medication BTW)

I get your point, I really do. That said, I have worked in the industry and I guarantee you without patents the R&D will stop cold in the present climate. It is much more complicated than I have time for here but maybe they can be more closely monitored in how it happens but pharma needs to cover costs of research all the way to bringing it to market. There are certainly flaws but no patents whatsoever is not going to make it.

As an aside, if you look into why all the pharma companies have merged, been bought or sold in the last 20 years it is likely solely to gain drugs the company acquired had in its research or FDA approval pipeline.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:51 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Caller Bob wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
That's a pretty obtuse angle. I'm pretty sure you know what I mean. If a child in a family that lives below the poverty line has cancer, they should have the "right" to see the best doctors in the world. Alos just not labor(doctor services), but the best chemo drugs available as well. They have the "right" to get those, no questions asked. The same quality of care that millionaires get. You can play the "pick yourself's up by the bootstraps and earn it" card for adults, but not with kids.

You are playing a card that shouldn't be played. Not many people have a right to get the best doctors nor are many people with money getting it either. My example I am doing just fine. If I get cancer or a heart problem I do not have the right or an insurance company flying me to Mayo or Johns Hopkins for immediate care.

As an adult, if I couldn't get to Mayo or John's Hopkins, (myself) I agree. But either of my kids. They are going if they need it. If I can't pay for it, or my insurance won't I'll fucking go deznel washington to get it done.

Why do you feel children are more important than adults?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Caller Bob wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
That's a pretty obtuse angle. I'm pretty sure you know what I mean. If a child in a family that lives below the poverty line has cancer, they should have the "right" to see the best doctors in the world. Alos just not labor(doctor services), but the best chemo drugs available as well. They have the "right" to get those, no questions asked. The same quality of care that millionaires get. You can play the "pick yourself's up by the bootstraps and earn it" card for adults, but not with kids.

You are playing a card that shouldn't be played. Not many people have a right to get the best doctors nor are many people with money getting it either. My example I am doing just fine. If I get cancer or a heart problem I do not have the right or an insurance company flying me to Mayo or Johns Hopkins for immediate care.

As an adult, if I couldn't get to Mayo or John's Hopkins, (myself) I agree. But either of my kids. They are going if they need it. If I can't pay for it, or my insurance won't I'll fucking go deznel washington to get it done.

Those places have limited beds so how do you deal with scarsity?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
A lot of good discussion in this thread.

Personally, I have no problem contributing to a national healthcare plan as long as most of that money goes to developing preventative measures. Health care has always been a retroactive service: wait until they get sick, then charge the hell out of them.

100% agree

When our company moved to a high deductible plan with HSA's, it completely changed my outlook. We have a well publicized wellness plan with the entire idea being preventative care and taking care of one's self. I lost 35 pounds as a result and dropped by cholesterol by 90 points.

I am telling you our health plan design is perfect for what ails America's system. If I use less health care, then my HSA just keeps growing. I am paying the bills, so I am careful about what we use and how much things cost. We ask a lot more questions. My wife and I are taking much better care of ourselves. We still laugh at our old "fat" pictures.

The best part is my biweekly premiums fell from $240 to $70 with the difference going into my HSA.

We moved to a high deductible plan with HSAs and the biweekly premiums still skyrocketed. I couldn't afford to put extra in the HSA.

HSA are just another way of Health Care companies limiting your healthcare. So now you makes the decisions if you should go to the doctor. If you penny pinch, you are probably gonna use the doctor less.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:53 am 

pittmike wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Right...but if you create John's dooohickey and file a patent, isnt it the same? (I am against patents on medication BTW)

I get your point, I really do. That said, I have worked in the industry and I guarantee you without patents the R&D will stop cold in the present climate. It is much more complicated than I have time for here but maybe they can be more closely monitored in how it happens but pharma needs to cover costs of research all the way to bringing it to market. There are certainly flaws but no patents whatsoever is not going to make it.

As an aside, if you look into why all the pharma companies have merged, been bought or sold in the last 20 years it is likely solely to gain drugs the company acquired had in its research or FDA approval pipeline.

It is a double edged sword.

And I think you are going through this with Martin Shkreli and that drug everyone got upset about.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:53 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
To get back to Jorr's article. I do believe we are in the midst of an era where Karl Marx will have been proven right about many criticisms of capitalism and democracy. The problem is I don't think he provided a viable blueprint for the next steps.

I am not going to argue with you as you have your beliefs and there is nothing wrong with that. What I will say though when I see these sorts of ideas though is it is one sided. Many people like to point out the flaws of capitalism and democracy. Many times they are right. I never see it balanced out however with the positives and there are many.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:54 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Healthier lifestyles make preventable diseases (that account for the majority of drug costs) obsolete. Preventable cancers included.

If we continue to research ways to make healthcare cost less for people's bad decisions, we'll never find an acceptable answer across the board.

True.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:55 am 

pittmike wrote:
To get back to Jorr's article. I do believe we are in the midst of an era where Karl Marx will have been proven right about many criticisms of capitalism and democracy. The problem is I don't think he provided a viable blueprint for the next steps.

I am not going to argue with you as you have your beliefs and there is nothing wrong with that. What I will say though when I see these sorts of ideas though is it is one sided. Many people like to point out the flaws of capitalism and democracy. Many times they are right. I never see it balanced out however with the positives and there are many.

The argument would be, what is better? And I would say, nothing.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:

I am definitely concerned about democracy. As for capitalism, I just don't see another viable economic system. Capital must be allocated by risk seeking individuals and prices must be set by market conditions. Any system that tries to alter that will produce shortages and spend money on white elephants. Our system is inherently unfair on many levels (with education equality being my biggest concern), but I have yet to see a different one that produces the economic progress found in America.

My concern on capitalism is automation. I saw a report that said 40 percent of jobs will be automated by 2030. And with Google's work on AI really no job is safe. With that percentage of the population out of work there is going to be a revolution of some sorts.

Now I know that people will say that the markets will figure it out, but I have my doubts on that. Machines will do our work far better than us. As this message board is a testament to.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
My HSA is a bank account with a check book and debit card. I put money in through a payroll deduction, and I get a company match up to the Federal allowable amount (about $46 per paycheck). It is simply saving in advance for health care costs. There is nothing about it that restricts its usage for health care costs.

It's a great feeling that when a medical bills comes, we just bill pay through our HSA. And boy have we had a lot of medical bills lately. I have probably paid $4,000+ in the past six months. We had one year where I didn't have a single bill.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:57 am 

denisdman wrote:

I am definitely concerned about democracy. As for capitalism, I just don't see another viable economic system. Capital must be allocated by risk seeking individuals and prices must be set by market conditions. Any system that tries to alter that will produce shortages and spend money on white elephants. Our system is inherently unfair on many levels (with education equality being my biggest concern), but I have yet to see a different one that produces the economic progress found in America.

My concern on capitalism is automation. I saw a report that said 40 percent of jobs will be automated by 2030. And with Google's work on AI really no job is safe. With that percentage of the population out of work there is going to be a revolution of some sorts.

Now I know that people will say that the markets will figure it out, but I have my doubts on that. Machines will do our work far better than us. As this message board is a testament to.

How many people used to work on farms? It was the majority. Now it is 3%. Automation resulted in vast food supplies with us wanting nothing. New jobs will appear. Creative destruction and progress. Don't worry.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Why do you feel children are more important than adults?

JoeOrr is Billy Zane from the Titanic.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:58 am 

Cashman wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Cashman wrote:

And I think you are going through this with Martin Shkreli and that drug everyone got upset about.

That dope definitely exposed a flaw in the system.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
pittmike wrote:
Cashman wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Once again, he only could do that because of his FDA granted monopoly.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:00 am 

denisdman wrote:
My HSA is a bank account with a check book and debit card. I put money in through a payroll deduction, and I get a company match up to the Federal allowable amount (about $46 per paycheck). It is simply saving in advance for health care costs. There is nothing about it that restricts its usage for health care costs.

It's a great feeling that when a medical bills comes, we just bill pay through our HSA. And boy have we had a lot of medical bills lately. I have probably paid $4,000+ in the past six months. We had one year where I didn't have a single bill.

We have to admit my friend that as it is right now many do not have access or resources for this set up.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:02 am 

denisdman wrote:
denisdman wrote:

How many people used to work on farms? It was the majority. Now it is 3%. Automation resulted in vast food supplies with us wanting nothing. New jobs will appear. Creative destruction and progress. Don't worry.

But there is a problem with this theory. The goal is to have more educated people for the positions. An example is Coal industry. Are those people going to be acquiring degrees to work in solar energy? And you have Governors and El Presidente cutting or not taking education seriously. So how is that gonna work out?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Cashman wrote:

HSA are just another way of Health Care companies limiting your healthcare. So now you makes the decisions if you should go to the doctor. If you penny pinch, you are probably gonna use the doctor less.

This is exactly what happened with us. Now we don't take the kids to the Dr except for yearly checkups and when they are really really sick. That's probably how it should be though. They don't need a trip to the doc every time they have a little cough. I've got several lingering minor issues that I'm not checking out because I don't want to deal with the costs. If they get to be major issues, I'll go to the doc.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:03 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Cashman wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Once again, he only could do that because of his FDA granted monopoly.

The problem with that drug is, it is only used by a fraction of aids patents. Not sure there is a ton of money to be made from it.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:05 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Cashman wrote:

This is exactly what happened with us. Now we don't take the kids to the Dr except for yearly checkups and when they are really really sick. That's probably how it should be though. They don't need a trip to the doc every time they have a little cough. I've got several lingering minor issues that I'm not checking out because I don't want to deal with the costs. If they get to be major issues, I'll go to the doc.

Small coughs, I get it. I have a 1 and 3yr old. But the other part is the opposite of what should be happening. Preventative care not reactionary.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I find that to be overly optimistic. If you have general intelligence in a computer then you will not need labor. What are truck drivers going to do? Become IT experts?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:07 am 

denisdman wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I find that to be overly optimistic. If you have general intelligence in a computer then you will not need labor. What are truck drivers going to do? Become IT experts?

Exactly. This is why I don't follow this logic.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
pittmike wrote:
Cashman wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Cashman wrote:
If they scale back mental health care, and bring back pre-existing they all need to be strung up and hanged.

Mental health care is very important. As of now I have not seen any scaling back of that. My hope is that is not in there.

I have always had a problem with the pre-existing condition requirement. Not because I do not care about people or think they should not be cared for. It just does not make any sense the way they did it. I cannot think of another area where a private company is required to "cover" something that is proven to have begun prior to when they became involved in the situation. There are a lot of details to be sure but in its most basic terms that part should have been designed better. A couple ideas would be make the company that was covering the individual when that condition began continue forward to cover it regardless of the standing of the insured with that company i.e. change jobs. The other is they could have created a medicare or similar entry for people that have such a situation to cover that only. Freeing everyone to move beyond that particular condition's costs.

The ACA was suppose to stop people from running to the emergency room, and provide them a primary doctor to be more preventative. The problem was educating people.

It would probably cost us(tax payers) more for not covering pre-existing vs covering it. Everyone should be covered for healthcare, period!

I believe most are past that question. The how and those details are the questions.

Well I think quite clearly they are not.

It's worth reminding folks, as I had to be reminded as well, of the actual full name of the so-called "Obamacare" deal:
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010

Nobody ever mentions that first bit - 'Patient Protection', which, interestingly enough, is the part that succeeded the most, I believe. One can ascribe their own theories as to why that first part is left out.

One can argue about the affordability - it worked for some, it didn't work for others. Theoretically, this new nonsense is supposed to actually make things affordable. That's horseshit on a stick, but that claim has been plainly made. I like whatever House member it was saying that "he knew" this deal would be better. When asked how he knew that, his brilliant response was, "I just know it." Okay pal.

What one can't argue - at least not well - is how this bologna protects patients ... the re-introduction of 'pre-existing conditions' concept immediately halts any debate on that.

And to those still trying to equivocate this to any other type of insurance, take a moment to read (I'd say re-read but I doubt that'd be the case) leash's lengthy post (and members of leash's lengthy post) and then think of, say, Scooter's daughter - should she pull through all of this, unless she started shitting gold at a rate of $10k a day for life, she couldn't buy insurance to (literally) save her life under the old and, presumably, the new rules. There's also more than a little concern about how this new BS will affect those afflicted with autism. I think we all know there are quite a few posters who this would affect directly.

Additionally one will of course recall that prior to the vote yesterday how quickly the House acted to assure they remained covered under the terrible ACA. I mean, if you don't think that all but clears the whole matter up, then frankly you're a dunce.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:12 am 

pittmike wrote:
denisdman wrote:

We have to admit my friend that as it is right now many do not have access or resources for this set up.

The HSA thing is misunderstood to some degree. It is a product of the private employer system. With a high deductible plan, the employee is picking up first dollar costs and effectively only has stop loss coverage. There is no real insurance coverage until you hit the cap. In return for that, you get much lower premiums, $170 per paycheck less in my case, and my employer has that same benefit. You take those savings and put them in an HSA account. Now the money is mine, which makes me accountable for my dollar spend.

You could make this work in the government world, if you wanted. Instead of Medicaid paying the full load, why not give poor people accounts with money used for healthcare costs? That way they control the dollars and spend.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:16 am 

Cashman wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Small coughs, I get it. I have a 1 and 3yr old. But the other part is the opposite of what should be happening. Preventative care not reactionary.

My 3yr old twisted her ankle really bad and was not putting any weight on it. We elevated it and put ice on it but after a day she still didn't feel any better. We took her to the doc and he said it looks like its just a sprain but he wanted an xray to be safe. That set us back $700.

This is the problem that I have. The Dr knew that foot/ankle was fine but he sent us out to waste money on a CYA errand.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:16 am 

Don Tiny wrote:

And to those still trying to equivocate this to any other type of insurance, take a moment to read (I'd say re-read but I doubt that'd be the case) leash's lengthy post (and members of leash's lengthy post) and then think of, say, Scooter's daughter - should she pull through all of this, unless she started shitting gold at a rate of $10k a day for life, she couldn't buy insurance to (literally) save her life under the old and, presumably, the new rules. There's also more than a little concern about how this new BS will affect those afflicted with autism. I think we all know there are quite a few posters who this would affect directly.

That's not insurance. Having a life threatening illness that will cost $10k per day, and then going to some company and saying I will pay you $10k per year and you cover $10k per day will not work. No one will take the other side of it.

Insurance is something you buy before an "accident". Once you've had an "accident", you can't then go buy insurance. If we allow that, then the entire insurance system collapses. That's why you buy home, auto and life before an accident/death.

Imagine going to MetLife and saying I'd like to buy a policy for my dead grandfather.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:17 am 

denisdman wrote:
pittmike wrote:
denisdman wrote:

The HSA thing is misunderstood to some degree. It is a product of the private employer system. With a high deductible plan, the employee is picking up first dollar costs and effectively only has stop loss coverage. There is no real insurance coverage until you hit the cap. In return for that, you get much lower premiums, $170 per paycheck less in my case, and my employer has that same benefit. You take those savings and put them in an HSA account. Now the money is mine, which makes me accountable for my dollar spend.

You could make this work in the government world, if you wanted. Instead of Medicaid paying the full load, why not give poor people accounts with money used for healthcare costs? That way they control the dollars and spend.

Well your company is just aces. No one else I know that moved to a high deductible plan with an HSA saw their premiums go down. They all increased and we got worse coverage.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Fasano's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Cashman wrote:

My 3yr old twisted her ankle really bad and was not putting any weight on it. We elevated it and put ice on it but after a day she still didn't feel any better. We took her to the doc and he said it looks like its just a sprain but he wanted an xray to be safe. That set us back $700.

This is the problem that I have. The Dr knew that foot/ankle was fine but he sent us out to waste money on a CYA errand.

Than something is really wrong with the ankle that cannot be determined without an x-ray and you sue the doctor.

Cant blame the doctor for sending out for the xray.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:19 am 

denisdman wrote:
pittmike wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Medicaid is for less fortunate people who have kids?

If this is the case, and the parent has $300 a month to spend, but the kid needs $400 worth, what do you do?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:20 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Hank Scorpio wrote:

This is a great example of something that neither the ACA or AHCA will address, and what I believe to be the root cause to this issue.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:21 am 

WL Bill wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Than something is really wrong with the ankle that cannot be determined without an x-ray and you sue the doctor.

Cant blame the doctor for sending out for the xray.

Right. I know why it had to be done but there needs to be a better way. I paid $700 so that I wouldn't be able to sue the doctor at a later date.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next