It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:55 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017051 ... id-profile

Quote:
Former St. Ignatius teacher Matt Tedeschi was fired from the prestigious Catholic high school after students
Former St. Ignatius teacher Matt Tedeschi was fired from the prestigious Catholic high school after students "outed" him as gay.
View Full CaptionDNAinfo/Stephanie Lulay
CHICAGO — A religion teacher at one of the city's most prestigious private high schools said he was harassed and threatened by students after they found his online dating profile — and then he was fired by the school.

Matt Tedeschi, who taught religious studies at St. Ignatius College Prep in Little Italy, said students found out he was gay and "outed" him to the rest of the school — then went on to harass him about his sexual orientation in the classroom and on social media.

Tedeschi, who taught for about four years at the school, said he believes he was then fired because his sexual orientation conflicts with some Catholic teachings, and the incident — and ensuing gossip — embarrassed top leaders at the elite private school. He was slated to be considered for tenure in the fall.

Stephanie Lulay · DNAinfo Reporter
Do you agree with the school's decision?

VOICE YOUR OPINION ON NHSQ

+30
"In this place that prides itself on being a value-based school and teaches us to care for the vulnerable and marginalized, it's precisely the same religious basis that allows horrible harassment to take place," he said.

In a statement, St. Ignatius administrators declined to directly address Tedeschi's firing and subsequent allegations, but said that the teacher "was treated fairly" by the school's administrators.

"Saint Ignatius College Prep must respect the confidentiality of the term of employment of its present and former faculty and staff members," school spokesman Ryan Bergin said in a statement. "Although I cannot comment on Mr. Tedeschi’s claims regarding his prior employment at Saint Ignatius College Prep, I can assure you that he was treated fairly at all times by the administration of the school, and we wish him all the best in his future career."

'Outed' by students

Tedeschi, who was raised in the Catholic faith and graduated from Marist High School, a coed Catholic high school in Mount Greenwood, studied religion at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign before earning a master's degree in biblical studies from Yale Divinity School. In August 2013, he was hired to teach religious studies at St. Ignatius, the school he had dreamed of going to when he was a teen.

"In a lot of ways, I fell in love with it all over again when I became a teacher there," said Tedeschi, 31. "I was really pleasantly surprised by how bright these [students] are."

Two years ago, the school expanded Tedeschi's responsibilities, and he began teaching French classes in addition to religion classes.

"Matt was known as being a really tough teacher, but he was really good" at his job, a former colleague said. "Most of the kids really enjoyed him — he was very smart, witty."

And while Tedeschi described the students as generally "very polite," his experience at the school changed in February 2016, when a student "outed" him to the student body after finding Tedeschi's profile on OKCupid, an online dating website.

Tedeschi had never discussed his sexual orientation in the classroom, he said, and the online dating profile did not list his name or that he was a teacher at the school. The profile, which said he was interested in men, featured three photos, including one which portrayed him shirtless, but no explicit content.

"Never once did I think a high schooler would be on it," he said of the dating website for those 18 and older. Other teachers at St. Ignatius have online dating profiles, he said, including profiles on OKCupid.

"Everyone should have the right to a private life," Tedeschi said.

After discovering the dating profile, the St. Ignatius student texted screenshots of Tedeschi's profile to several other St. Ignatius students, and it spread across campus.

"He 'outed' me to a bunch of students. He knew that he was making fun of me and insulting me," Tedeschi said. "He wanted to embarrass me."

Discussing the profile in a group text message that Tedeschi obtained screenshots of, one student wrote: "Wow. This is SOOO juicy."

"He was sort of cyber-bulled by some of our students," said one of Tedeschi's former colleagues who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

A 'horrible' environment

When Tedeschi found out the student had seen his profile, he said he told two administrators hoping they would take action to stop the bullying from students. At first, the administrators "were supportive," he said, and brought the issue to St. Ignatius Principal Brianna Latko. Tedeschi talked to the students after the incident, but the students were ultimately not punished, he said. Latko did not respond to emails seeking comment.

"It was a horrible environment for me," he said, and students continued to harass him.

In April 2016, one of Tedeschi's students went on a 16-tweet tirade about him, writing on Twitter: "Let's not forget I have screenshots that can end you." The student attached a photo from Tedeschi's dating profile.

Tedeschi said the student's tweet was "public blackmail" and "a threat" that declared Tedeschi could be fired because he is gay.

Tedeschi brought the student's tweets to the principal, and asked for him to be punished. The student received two Saturday detentions, Tedeschi said.

"It was a slap on the wrist," he said.

Tedeschi said administrators could have prevented "the culture of harassment."

"They were just watching it play out," he said. "I was having anxiety attacks before I went to class. It just completely undermined my authority as a teacher and made me feel small. ... This unnecessarily pitted me against my students, which never should have been the case."

The harassment from students continued to happen in his classroom this school year, Tedeschi alleged, but he continued teaching.

Then, during a class this spring, a student unexpectedly shared sensitive information involving other students. Tedeschi said he didn't know the student was going to share the information, told her she should report it to the administration and also reported the incident himself to a counselor at the school.

Latko subsequently called Tedeschi out of class to discuss the incident, and reprimanded him for "allowing the discussion to go on," he claimed. St. Ignatius administrators declined to answer questions about the incident.

Later that week, in March, the principal informed Tedeschi that St. Ignatius was not going to renew his contract.

The school gave him the opportunity to finish out the school year, but after he discussed his departure with a colleague, the school called him to say that his employment was being terminated immediately. In exchange for the rest of his salary he would have earned over the semester, school administrators urged him to sign a non-disclosure agreement, but Tedeschi declined, he said.

Tedeschi said he was told he was being fired because he showed poor judgment posting photos online and didn't stop the classroom conversation involving the sensitive information. He said he was also told he was negative and undermined authority — although administrators declined to elaborate to him on these charges or provide further details in writing.

He acknowledges, though, that no one told him directly that he was fired because of his sexual orientation.

St. Ignatius administrators declined to answer DNAinfo's questions about why Tedeschi was fired.

Tedeschi contends he received positive reviews from the school's leaders in his four years at St. Ignatius, and his employee file contained no disciplinary complaints.

Tedeschi said he believes he was really fired because he is gay and the school was embarrassed by the "outing" and subsequent fallout. He also believes the school administrators fired him "in retaliation" for complaining about the harassment he experienced at the school.

St. Ignatius administrators declined to answer general questions about the school's hiring practices, specifically whether they hire, and allow, gay teachers to work at the school.

"The questions that you raise touch upon issues that are taken seriously by our school," Bergin said in a statement. "Saint Ignatius College Prep has as its core mission a diverse community dedicated to educating young men and women for lives of faith, love, service and leadership. Through outstanding teaching and personal formation, the school challenges its talented student body to intellectual excellence, integrity, and life-long learning and growth. Inspired by the gospel of Jesus Christ, this community strives to use God's gifts to promote social justice for the greater glory of God."

Noting that he was "outed" to the school through no fault of his own, Tedeschi said that if St. Ignatius doesn't want to hire gay teachers, the school's policies should explicitly express that. While the Jesuit school is part of a "more open-minded order," some leaders at the school believe that same-sex relationships conflict with Catholic teachings, he said.

"It's a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy, because they are worried about negative fallout," he said. "I never would have taken this job if I thought this could happen to me."

St. Ignatius does have other gay faculty members and gay students, but it's "kind of hush-hush," Tedeschi's former colleague said.

"I don't think he was necessarily targeted [from the beginning] because he was a homosexual male, but because there was too much attention being called on Matt being gay," the source said. "It was creating too much trouble" for the administration, the former colleague said.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
what a mess. Although there is probably some verbiage in the employment contract about posing t0pless on the internet. the kid that did that should not only be expelled but excommunicated. wonder what the old man does.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Hatchetman wrote:
what a mess. Although there is probably some verbiage in the employment contract about posing t0pless on the internet. the kid that did that should not only be expelled but excommunicated. wonder what the old man does.

Gets tickets non-suited.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
If you are a teacher and students can find your online dating profiles that is definitely grounds for termination. Now this whiny burrito is going to try and make a big deal out of it, because deep down he craves the attention this "oppression" will receive. Relying on everyone to continue conflating victimhood with heroism so he can get some sort of career or financial reward on the backs of predictable public outrage.

It says in the article there are plenty of gays at St Ignatius, but nobody wants to hear about how gay they are. Count me in that group. This guy did not suffer some grave injustice because administrators don't want him flauting his faggotry in front of children who have parents paying a lot of money to avoid this type of nonsense that is a daily occurrence at public schools.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:38 am 
Site Admin

Based on his years of posting here, I'm stunned that CH intentionally chose not to copy and paste the part of the article that explains the federal law regarding situations like this. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Sources say Fenwick will not appeal this.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:53 am 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:

We had a number of gay teachers at Fenwick during my time. At least two are still there.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:55 am 

Seacrest wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

We had a number of gay teachers at Fenwick during my time. At least two are still there.

Do they do the early or late mass on Sunday?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Do they do the early or late mass on Sunday?

Yeah, if ignorance is bliss, you should be much happier and less sarcastic.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 pm 

This is the first I heard of it and troubling with only those facts given.

I can tell you for an absolute certainty that there are other openly homosexual teachers at the school. I can tell you for an absolute certainty that there were openly homosexual teachers when I attended.

It seems to be understated in the story that he entertained a classroom discussion of a student's private information. That is fireable conduct on its face and would have me incensed either as a student or a parent. It undermines the entire learning process.

Students displaying open insubordination should be treated harshly and this circumstance seemed to call for the harshest of punishments. I would hope the teachers collectively have something to say to administration about this.

I'm wondering why he found the information threatening. It's unsurprising that dnainfo leaves you feeling like there is more to the story.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
America wrote:
If you are a teacher and students can find your online dating profiles that is definitely grounds for termination. Now this whiny burrito is going to try and make a big deal out of it, because deep down he craves the attention this "oppression" will receive. Relying on everyone to continue conflating victimhood with heroism so he can get some sort of career or financial reward on the backs of predictable public outrage.

It says in the article there are plenty of gays at St Ignatius, but nobody wants to hear about how gay they are. Count me in that group. This guy did not suffer some grave injustice because administrators don't want him flauting his faggotry in front of children who have parents paying a lot of money to avoid this type of nonsense that is a daily occurrence at public schools.

yea, you're definitely gay

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:07 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Gets tickets non-suited.

I know we goof around here with the topic but this is kind of sensitive and you are referencing an earlier joke of mine so I want it to be known that this does not involve my child, lest the facile minds of CFMB begin to ruminate on your post.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:08 pm 

Whether the teacher should have stayed, I don't know, but the kid who threatened to get him fired for having an OKCupid profile and being gay should have been out on his ass.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Whether the teacher should have stayed, I don't know, but the kid who threatened to get him fired for having an OKCupid profile and being gay should have been out on his ass.

So you Douchebag an entire school for the actions of one student, and possibly two administrators?

Sorry, it doesn't compute.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:15 pm 

Seeing as the administrators run the place, I would say that is within bounds.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
Seeing as the administrators run the place, I would say that is within bounds.

Yeah, two of them.

Or, should everyone on the north side of a close in western suburb be declared a douchebag because Kenny Williams lives there?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
I feel a little douchey with trump as my president

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Teachers I know have told me they could be fired for Facebook stuff. Example of pics from Lakemoorfest type parties.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 pm 

America wrote:

Spot on

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
Teachers I know have told me they could be fired for Facebook stuff. Example of pics from Lakemoorfest type parties.

:lol:

Like i said earlier in the thread, the legal explanations weren't quoted somehow.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Let's be honest though, Seacrest. Regardless of the specific facts that come out, you will defend the school. You don't like to offer any objective criticism of things you are attached to. The Bears, Catholicism, and St. Ignatius could do no wrong in your eyes. It's not a critique - just an observation.

I give dolphin credit for looking at it at least somewhat objectively. And I assume dolphin went here too because you Catholics are all the same to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:31 pm 

Seacrest didn't go to Ignatius, he went to Fenwick. dolphin went to Ignatius. GLAD I KNOW THIS

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:33 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Seacrest didn't go to Ignatius, he went to Fenwick. dolphin went to Ignatius. GLAD I KNOW THIS

Noted. I only know that Corey Maggette went to Fenwick.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:38 pm 

when I say the White Sox are stupid, I don't mean Jose Abreu is stupid.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:39 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Let's be honest though, Seacrest. Regardless of the specific facts that come out, you will defend the school. You don't like to offer any objective criticism of things you are attached to. The Bears, Catholicism, and St. Ignatius could do no wrong in your eyes. It's not a critique - just an observation.

I give dolphin credit for looking at it at least somewhat objectively. And I assume dolphin went here too because you Catholics are all the same to me.

Read better.

He dbagged an entire student body for the actions of one kid. That was NOT defended by me. CH got called out for smearing an entire school, for the actions of a few. And for intentionally not quoting part of the article related to why the school may have done what they did.

I get it, you and CH don't like Catholics. That's fine.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:41 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Read better.

He dbagged an entire student body for the actions of one kid. That was NOT defended by me. CH got called out for smearing an entire school, for the actions of a few. And for intentionally not quoting part of the article related to why the school may have done what they did.

I don't dislike Catholics. That's false. I just like to joke at them.

My wife and her family are Catholic.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Seacrest wrote:
He dbagged an entire student body for the actions of one kid.

so only 1 kid was harassing this guy ?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Bagels wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
He dbagged an entire student body for the actions of one kid.

so only 1 kid was harassing this guy ?

It should have stopped at one kid.

Was it the entire student body and school?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Heaven
Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Read better.

You're doing My work, Seacrest. Keep it up.