It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: US News Media
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
About 80 people got blown up today in Kabul, but you won't hear about it as right wing media is too busy with Kathy Griffin outrage and left wing media is stuck with Covfefegate...

What happened to the days of media covering real news stories?

Post subject: Re: US News Media
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
About 80 people got blown up today in Kabul, but you won't hear about it as right wing media is too busy with Kathy Griffin outrage and left wing media is stuck with Covfefegate...

Pretty sure that ended in the 70s ... where you been?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Scott Pelley would have covered that.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Hate to be fatalistic but...war zones gonna war zone. It's awful but quite par for the course after 17 years.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Dog bites man.
Big. News.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The Economist, BBC, and the PBS nightly news show are about the only legit sources of global coverage for things like that. CNN used to be decent, but it went pretty tabloid.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:15 pm 

denisdman wrote:
The Economist, BBC, and the PBS nightly news show are about the only legit sources of global coverage for things like that. CNN used to be decent, but it went pretty tabloid.

CNN has gone entirely tabloid since their primetime line-up became Anderson Cooper (who covered real news 12 years or so ago) and Don Lemon. Heck, the joke about Anderson Cooper used to be that he would go to every story and he'd find the biggest piece of rubble to use as his backdrop. Was it sensationalist? Yep, but at least he was covering real news stories during that era. Now he sits in a studio and covers gossip and nonsense. As for Don Lemon, his entire show is let's get 8 people in a room to scream at each other over some bullshit.

As for my personal viewing habits, I have BBC World News on my streaming package and watch their newscasts regularly.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
As for Don Lemon, his entire show is let's get 8 people in a room to scream at each other over some bullshit.

That format is terrible. Who watches that crap?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:03 am 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
CNN is pretty much unwatchable now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:18 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I guess you can blame Fox news to some degree. If not them then someone else will have to remind me. The cable news casts after 8pm (7 CST) have become opinion and talk formatted not news shows. I tried to drive this home when I used to watch Fox and people railed against the slant. It is not news it is opinion.

Even Headline News which I used to think was pretty good to just get the facts and get out is no longer news in prime time.

My guess is a hard news prime time is not coming back as it has been shown to lose viewers to the new money making formats.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:45 am 

pittmike wrote:
I guess you can blame Fox news to some degree. If not them then someone else will have to remind me. The cable news casts after 8pm (7 CST) have become opinion and talk formatted not news shows. I tried to drive this home when I used to watch Fox and people railed against the slant. It is not news it is opinion.

Even Headline News which I used to think was pretty good to just get the facts and get out is no longer news in prime time.

My guess is a hard news prime time is not coming back as it has been shown to lose viewers to the new money making formats.

As much as people talk about Liberal bias in News coverage there has never been as much slanting of coverage as there is today. Things get covered and not covered based upon the political leanings of the Network.

The lead story on Fox News will rarely be the same as that of MSNBC. Only when there is a catastrophe will that happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:14 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
how about chicago local news media?

"our top story tonight a white person was mugged in lakeview, we have 3 reporters on the scene...." next story "by the way 35 blacks shot each other and 7 of them died over the weekend...on to sports..."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:36 am 

pittmike wrote:

I absolutely blame Fox News. Originally it was a good idea to go after an untapped and frustrated segment of viewers- conservatives, who viewed the general media as biased. Frankly, it really started with Rush Limbaugh where media folks realized that right leaning voters would soak up propaganda style "reporting".

CNN is really just a spin room now. As was mentioned already, they frequently bring on multiple guests at the same time with each pushing an agenda. They're just mouth pieces for their faction.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:51 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
I absolutely blame Fox News. Originally it was a good idea to go after an untapped and frustrated segment of viewers- conservatives, who viewed the general media as biased. Frankly, it really started with Rush Limbaugh where media folks realized that right leaning voters would soak up propaganda style "reporting".

Ted Turner reportedly called Vince McMahon one time to tell him he'd just started WCW (well, consolidated it from regional southern promotions) and gotten into the wrestling business, to which Vince reportedly said "that's great, but I'm in the entertainment business." So it was with another Turner property: CNN was in the news business but Fox News was in the entertainment business.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:55 am 

I can't see a future for corporate media that isn't tied to generating ratings (as opposed to just fixating on newsworthy stories and investigations, regardless of ratings). So we'll get more covfefe drama than, say, investigative pieces on gang violence in Chicago. I also can't imagine how things were in the past. Were they less driven by the profit motive? Honestly not sure.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:00 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
I can't see a future for corporate media that isn't tied to generating ratings (as opposed to just fixating on newsworthy stories and investigations, regardless of ratings). So we'll get more covfefe drama than, say, investigative pieces on gang violence in Chicago. I also can't imagine how things were in the past. Were they less driven by the profit motive? Honestly not sure.

A part of the problem may be the national issue. These cable channels are trying to get ratings for their news shows from the entire country. That is a tough job to keep everyone interested in some story. Unless you go with a president, natural disaster, terror attack there aren't a lot of newsworthy things that can keep the entire population enthralled.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:03 am 

pittmike wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

A part of the problem may be the national issue. These cable channels are trying to get ratings for their news shows from the entire country. That is a tough job to keep everyone interested in some story. Unless you go with a president, natural disaster, terror attack there aren't a lot of newsworthy things that can keep the entire population enthralled.

Good point. All the incessant Tiger Woods coverage (who gives a shit about that?) and similar celebrity/bullshit coverage is just a consequence of the 24 hours news network model.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:05 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
pittmike wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

And then you see what the actual ratings are for cable news are. They lose to wrestling.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
veganfan21 wrote:
pittmike wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Good point. All the incessant Tiger Woods coverage (who gives a shit about that?) and similar celebrity/bullshit coverage is just a consequence of the 24 hours news network model.

Steve Koczela‏Verified account @skoczela 23h23 hours ago

Modern politics in one chart: Last day of search traffic for Covfefe in red, Paris Agreement in blue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Ted Turner reportedly called Vince McMahon one time to tell him he'd just started WCW (well, consolidated it from regional southern promotions) and gotten into the wrestling business, to which Vince reportedly said "that's great, but I'm in the entertainment business." So it was with another Turner property: CNN was in the news business but Fox News was in the entertainment business.

Vince's hatred of the word wrestling is one of his most hilarious traits. He yells in the headphones at whoever's commentating if they accidentally use it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:16 am 

Quote:
"I've never seen anything like this, and this going to be a very good year for us. Sorry. It's a terrible thing to say. But, bring it on, Donald. Keep going."

- Leslie Moonves, CBS CEO

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:32 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

That story is on the cover of today's WSJ. And for right leaning business types, it is a great place to get news.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
'77Cubs wrote:
CNN is pretty much unwatchable now.

disagree if you come at it from a different point of view. i watch CNN because its hilarious. it all started for me when the malaysia plane went down and one of the anchors flew a paper airplane across the set because in all seriousness, "this might of been what it was like"

there was another time during the furguson stuff where a town hall discussion took place and when asked if racism is today the worst its ever been in America and almost 90% of the african americans in this town hall meeting raised their hands that it yes was in fact worse, and the camera panned and ever african american at least 70 years old and every white person had this look of sheer confusion as they realized everyone was raising their hands.

i knew this was can't miss TV.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:19 am 

denisdman wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

That story is on the cover of today's WSJ. And for right leaning business types, it is a great place to get news.

Well newspapers (like WSJ, NYT, FT, etc.) all still cover real news. I guess i was referring more to TV news, which has become a joke.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:20 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Quote:
"I've never seen anything like this, and this going to be a very good year for us. Sorry. It's a terrible thing to say. But, bring it on, Donald. Keep going."

- Leslie Moonves, CBS CEO

Hillary's campaign had the same strategy in the primary. They told their media buddies to promote Trump. Whoops that went well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:37 am 

hillary should be a new thread. she opened up her yapper once again blaming russia, the media, sexism, and all sorts of other bull shit on why she lost.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:45 am 

hnd wrote:
hillary should be a new thread. she opened up her yapper once again blaming russia, the media, sexism, and all sorts of other bull shit on why she lost.

Yeah I was going to start it. There are a ton of laughers out there from yesterday. I didn't have the energy. :|

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:47 am 

Please let's move past Hillary. We have a complete nut job as President and toxic politics both national and statewide. Plenty of relevant political news to talk about if you're so inclined.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
denisdman wrote:
Please let's move past Hillary. We have a complete nut job as President and toxic politics both national and statewide. Plenty of relevant political news to talk about if you're so inclined.

Trump supporters, whether closeted or in the open, bring up Hillary as a shiny distraction from the disaster that is the Trump presidency.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:57 am 

Hillary needs to move past Hillary. a guy at work was like, "i was beginning to be like, damn, i wish i'd of voted for hillary instead of Gary Johnson, and then i read that talk she did and was like, oh yeah, i remember why i'm glad i didn't"

time softens peoples heart. look at G dubs. but gdubs isnt'/wasn't constantly trying to defend himself