It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Teresa May
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
KD, those two haven't had sex in a decade or more. And the last time, Theresa pegged him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Boris is Trump. Britain is centralized. Mayors have zero authority or power.

Boris's hair looks like Trump, but I'd say the similarities end there.

Both are racists and hate the poor. Both get away with being evil shitheads because they're portrayed as stupid clowns.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
KDdidit wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Both are racists and hate the poor. Both get away with being evil shitheads because they're portrayed as stupid clowns.

I would at least expect Boris to be able to competently run a government, not have half of his appointed positions unfilled, not be fighting with every member of the media/his own party, and not shitpost on Twitter at 3 am.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:18 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
May done, a Cameron come back?

I thought he left Parliament.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:20 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I would at least expect Boris to be able to competently run a government, not have half of his appointed positions unfilled, not be fighting with every member of the media/his own party, and not shitpost on Twitter at 3 am.
Since he's 1/2 american or something, I wouldn't put it past him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:21 pm 

Alex Salmond lost? Wow wow wow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:22 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
denisdman wrote:

My guess. May will leave. Osborne or Cameron come back. There will be another election soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:28 pm 

Yeah, we'll be back here in a year or so. So much for fixed-term Parliament.

I see no reason for Cameron to come back. He got the UK into this mess.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:36 pm 

I love political comebacks. Cameron was a decent politician. He was a progressive Conservative albeit from a wealthy back ground. Osborne is awesome. He may be the next leader.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:42 pm 

Ok I have to go to bed. Ogie, CH, and KD, thanks for a fun night. Yall are great.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Curious Hair wrote:
denisdman wrote:

No, that was Fuzzy Haskins.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:52 pm 

Jezza! wrote:
The prime minister called the election because she wanted a mandate. Well, the mandate she’s got is lost Conservative seats, lost votes, lost support, and lost confidence. I would have thought that is enough for her to go, actually.

theresa may retire bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:25 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:26 pm 

Hell yes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Special shoutout to J.K. Rowling, my favorite of the many shitty Blairites. She spent months whining about how unelectable Corbyn was and then ended up voting Lib Dem after that was proven untrue with the polling. All the talk of tactics and electoral appeal was in fact a red herring for centrist purity tests.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:17 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Special shoutout to J.K. Rowling, my favorite of the many shitty Blairites. She spent months whining about how unelectable Corbyn was and then ended up voting Lib Dem after that was proven untrue with the polling. All the talk of tactics and electoral appeal was in fact a red herring for centrist purity tests.

Let me add a shoutout to Jim Messina, who worked for Obama and now the Conservatives, punching left across the ocean.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:13 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Also LOL at the self-satisfied American liberal pundits saying these results are because of Trump. I'm curious if they've reached that conclusion because they're completely ignorant of UK politics and have no other take to offer or if it's really just circling the wagons on neoliberal incrementalism being the actual winning message. Probably a little from column A, a little from column B.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:59 am 

I believe the guy on the far right of that picture is Lord Buckethead. You can't make that shit up. Elmo was also on that stage farther to the right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:55 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
denisdman wrote:
I believe the guy on the far right of that picture is Lord Buckethead. You can't make that shit up. Elmo was also on that stage farther to the right.

I'm pretty sure that's the Black Knight...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:28 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Also LOL at the self-satisfied American liberal pundits saying these results are because of Trump. I'm curious if they've reached that conclusion because they're completely ignorant of UK politics and have no other take to offer or if it's really just circling the wagons on neoliberal incrementalism being the actual winning message. Probably a little from column A, a little from column B.

American political pundits are always this dumb. They frame every single foreign election as a referendum on US foreign policy and can't for once think there may be some local issue that may drive the vote.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:39 am 

Boyd, yeah the guy that runs for office calls himself Lord Buckethead with that outfit.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/lord-buckethe ... 14406.html

Lord Buckethead stands next to Theresa May and Elmo - all competing for Maidenhead - AP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:21 am 

I just can't believe May is still going to be in 10 Downing Street. She should resign her post after this entire debacle.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:30 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I just can't believe May is still going to be in 10 Downing Street. She should resign her post after this entire debacle.

I agree. I am not sure if this is true, but someone in my office mentioned that the Tories lose the right to try to form a government if they change leadership. I am not sure exactly how it works in that regard. But that would be a reason not to resign at this point. And it also jives with Corbyn pushing her to resign.

I think this ends up with a fresh election in the near future.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:34 am 

denisdman wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I agree. I am not sure if this is true, but someone in my office mentioned that the Tories lose the right to try to form a government if they change leadership. I am not sure exactly how it works in that regard. But that would be a reason not to resign at this point. And it also jives with Corbyn pushing her to resign.

I think this ends up with a fresh election in the near future.

Not going to lie, but watching how the UK and other parliamentary systems work really makes me wish the US could do away with the 2 party system. I know our system with a separate Executive Branch and a race of first to 270 makes this a pipe dream, but damn I'd love for it to happen.

Especially when you're someone who has no home in either party.

I'm far too socially left (and anti-war) for the Republicans and I'm far too economically right for the Democrats.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
So the Tories did everything they could to lose, but won anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Slowly but surely becoming the story of my life Ogie..

Although these days anti war seems to be anti war doesn't seem like a prereq. to be a Dem.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Not going to lie, but watching how the UK and other parliamentary systems work really makes me wish the US could do away with the 2 party system. I know our system with a separate Executive Branch and a race of first to 270 makes this a pipe dream, but damn I'd love for it to happen.

Especially when you're someone who has no home in either party.

I'm far too socially left (and anti-war) for the Republicans and I'm far too economically right for the Democrats.

The UK does not operate like most parliamentary systems. They dont even have a written constitution, they just kind of make it up as they go along.

I mean, is it a good thing that some protestant identity group party that only represents a few counties of an island that mostly belongs to another country is the lynchpin of a new government?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:50 am 

I don't know about them losing the right to form a government either, but British MPs are all a bunch of backbiting psychopaths who in exchange for unflagging day-to-day fealty will immediately cannibalize their party whenever an opportunity arises. The Labour Party has been rooting against itself for years. Wouldn't surprise me to see Boris stage a coup.

Apparently the Democratic Unionists are scarily far-right and can't be trusted to form a government, so yeah, new elections fairly soon.

Quote:

Parliamentary systems have their benefits but one drawback, like I alluded to, is that parties loom even larger there than they do under our system. The thought of a ten-seat regional lunatic fringe dictating the terms of government here, as it is in the UK right now, could be worse than the Tea Party.

But two places where we could most definitely borrow from the UK:

1) SIZE OF CONSTITUENCIES! Commons has 650 seats for about 65 million people. The House of Representatives has 435 for 325 million, meaning each Representative has roughly seven times as many constituents as a Member of Parliament. That seems ridiculous to me. Congressmen weren't intended to represent that many people at once. We should have at least 500 seats in the House and probably even more than that, including a seat for DC.

2) divide the roles of head of state and head of government. We're the only major nation to fuse them, proving that we want a king more than the British do. We almost had a kludge for this wherein Vice-President John Kasich would be in charge of domestic and foreign policies while Donald Trump "made America great again." After this disaster, let's just not have A President anymore. I wouldn't be opposed to a ceremonial President Oprah while the actual work of government was left to others.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:02 am 

Why do you need politicians when the Queen runs everything?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:04 am 

America wrote:
So the Tories did everything they could to lose, but won anyways.

Or they lost because they're the ones still stuck in charge with Brexit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next