All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Democrats
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Hollow victory but I'm glad this will at least shut up the Clinton campaign wankers liker Brian Fallon who think the Dems' path to success is appealing to upper middle class suburban "Panera voters." Maybe now they'll focus on becoming a left party that actually stands for the lower class. A boy can dream.
I'm not sure that is wrong though. The Democrats have failed middle class voters just as much as Republicans have.

It isn't as big of an example as others but here is one example. Flex spending accounts. These were a great benefit to the middle class. It didn't really provide a great benefit to the rich since it ended up being a much less proportion of their total income they were "saving". For some reason, the Democrats desperately wanted to get rid of it and they did find ways to make them much less effective. Their reasoning was that it was "unfair to the poor" who couldn't afford to save that money. Do you honestly think a millionaire cares that he can't get a tax free account to pay for his kids cough medicine? Of course not. Are the poor people better off since a middle class family can't? Of course not.http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40115654/ns/health-health_care/t/over-the-counter-meds-be-cut-flexible-spending-accounts/#.WUppNmjytPY

So why do this? It's because the Democratic party, for reasons that probably have to do with wanting to be re-elected, think that the poor are the key to keeping power so almost all of the things they do are designed to keep them voting Democrat. Even Obamacare was something that cost many middle class families more money or had their cost of healthcare raise in price.

To put it another way, let's say you are a person who is middle class to slightly upper middle class, and someone asks you "What is the best thing the Democrats have done for you in the past 12 years?" What is the answer? To take it a step further, what is the one thing they fought hard for that would have been great for you during that time period?

The biggest failing of both Republicans and Democrats is ignoring the middle class in favor of the extremes.

The Democrats have really catered to the poor because of your flex spending account? Holy shit, you are out of touch with most of the country.
I don't even think you read the whole post.

You think there is a party in this country that caters too much to the poor? Chasing after those poor people's donations. You do realize that if anything policy is written to take advantage of the poor rather than "cater" to them.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:29 pm 

I still don't think you've read my whole post.

There are things in it you can reply to.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I still don't think you've read my whole post.

There are things in it you can reply to.

I'm too busy liquidating my flex account before the government gifts it to the homeless.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.