It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AT&T
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
http://techwrinkles.com/att-is-attempting-to-trick-illinois-consumers-into-supporting-them-under-the-guise-of-holding-back-investment/

Over the last couple of months, AT&T has been doing everything they can to push the narrative that SB 1839 is necessary in order keep Illinois safe, when in reality it would allow them to drop the customers that need a landline the most.

The main focus on the bill has been the 911 tax increase, which would cost someone outside of Chicago about $8 more per year or a Chicago resident about $13 more per year. What isn’t being talked about much is a small segment in the bill that would allow AT&T to drop landline customers that are either not profitable, or not profitable enough for the telecom giant.

These customers are the people who typically need landlines the most since they either live far enough away from a cell tower that they get poor reception (rural areas about 8+ miles from an Interstate highway), or they are part of a much older crowd that prefers landlines over cell phones, possibly even requiring them for certain medical equipment.

Lately, this is the ad that AT&T has been promoting on Facebook:

According to AT&T it’s a minor state law that is holding back investment and not the conscious decision made by the company to misappropriate its share of nearly $400 billion the U.S. government gave and allowed telecoms to collect since the mid-1990s to upgrade the nation’s fiber optic capacity. One has to wonder if it’s a state law or conscious decision that caused AT&T to avoid upgrading broadband infrastructure in areas of Cleveland that are predominantly poor and African-American.

Perhaps the biggest irony of all is the website gives just a few sentences about how the state needs to be “modernized” and that’s why you, as a consumer, should fill out your name/address and hit submit to send your state legislator an email detailing why you want the governor’s veto overridden.

All of this while AT&T does their best to avoid modernizing the areas that need it the most.

Post subject: Re: AT&T
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
VOIP landline. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
There was press about this several weeks ago. I believe many states have already dropped the landline requirement.

You have to decide if you want A&T and other legacy carriers investing in the infrastructure of old technology and a rapidly declining user base or focusing on cell phone towers and high speed internet stuff.

People can get cell phones. They will be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Nomination denied, cable Internet and DSL allow for VoIP services if you must have a non-cellular phone.

Keeping the technology of the 19/20th century alive at the expense of 21st century technology is an awful idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Denied. Only thing landlines are good for is when the nukes go up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:24 pm 

denisdman wrote:
There was press about this several weeks ago. I believe many states have already dropped the landline requirement.

You have to decide if you want A&T and other legacy carriers investing in the infrastructure of old technology and a rapidly declining user base or focusing on cell phone towers and high speed internet stuff.

It would be nice if they would invest the money the government already gave them.

Last edited by Brick on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

It would be nice if they would invest the money the government already have them.

They're still in the planning stages. 25-30 years isn't quite enough time to get something like that done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
denisdman wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

It would be nice if they would invest the money the government already gave them.

AT&T spent $22B on capital expenditures last year. $19B or so in 2015, and $21B in 2014. I'd say that's a pretty hefty investment in our country.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:13 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:

AT&T spent $22B on capital expenditures last year. $19B or so in 2015, and $21B in 2014. I'd say that's a pretty hefty investment in our country.

Those numbers are useless without context.

The fact remains that they took billions in government subsidies to create fiber networks that they never finished and then they just kept the money.

I thought yesterday you claimed to be against corporate welfare?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:27 pm 

All copper infastructure will and should be replaced by fiber. Fuck anything else.