It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
People are protesting a work of art before even seeing the finished product. The Regressive Left strikes again. All this type of shit does is alienate reasonable people from your cause.

I'd like to think this is just a small number of oversensitive crybabies but no, this was the number one thing trending on Twitter last night. Shameful.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:07 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I guess the woman that started oscarssowhite urged people to tweet at Game of Thrones to get the attention of HBO. I read the story about the show it seems some really smart people are producing (GofT folks) and writing it. Seems like a way to explore current topics in a fantasy world/timeline but what do I know?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:14 am 

FF is right. Wait until it comes out at least.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:29 am 

i don't agree with the paranoid notion that something like this would "erase actual history". i would say the problem with this kind of assumption is that we as a nation still have not fully recovered from that period of history. so, making a trivial drama that still uses slavery as a plot device would be deemed insensitive. i get that.

this has gotten criticism from sci-fi writer steven barnes, who has written sci-fi stuff mostly. he had a novel called "lion's blood" that is also alternative history, in which africa is the standard of social evolution while europe is backward and archaic. vikings are slave traders for whites.

one other notable example was a comparison to "the man in the high castle". the difference, they said, was that germany doesn't have statues for nazis or hitler, while we still have statues for confederate "heroes". that's a valid criticism.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:35 am 

W_Z wrote:
i don't agree with the paranoid notion that something like this would "erase actual history". i would say the problem with this kind of assumption is that we as a nation still have not fully recovered from that period of history. so, making a trivial drama that still uses slavery as a plot device would be deemed insensitive. i get that.

this has gotten criticism from sci-fi writer steven barnes, who has written sci-fi stuff mostly. he had a novel called "lion's blood" that is also alternative history, in which africa is the standard of social evolution while europe is backward and archaic. vikings are slave traders for whites.

one other notable example was a comparison to "the man in the high castle". the difference, they said, was that germany doesn't have statues for nazis or hitler, while we still have statues for confederate "heroes". that's a valid criticism.

It could be. It may also be a show that puts the confederates in a bad light.

These are the same people constantly attacking game of thrones.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
It's the professionally outraged class. People like Tim Baffoe.

Were there protests from WWII vets about Man in the High Castle? I would doubt it because they don't give a shit what some tv show does.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:40 am 

W_Z wrote:

I don't entirely agree with the last part of your post. I would agree that a lot of the South doesn't disavow the Confederacy the same way most of Germany disavows Nazisim, but it's also a much more nuanced discussion than a simple 1:1 comparison, and I don't think many have the patience for that type of discussion.

Regardless of how good someone's intentions may be, I can't ever condone criticizing a work of art before having even the slightest idea what the finished product will look like. And when they criticism goes as far as to try to shut down the entire project, I think it's clear that's the biggest problem in this entire discussion.

It might be a bad idea. People have bad ideas all the time. To label it dangerous is outright alarmism and against most of our values.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:42 am 

i'm sure the intention would be to show them in a bad light; but the fear from them is still the glorification, even if it's a villain. there are fans of cersei. they wouldn't want to see fans of the confederates. "thrones" is entirely fiction, whereas "confederate" has some actual history that's still pertinent to us.

i disagree completely with the "thrones" criticisms. the most pure relationship portrayed in the entire series is between two black characters. that seems to be overlooked by their accusations that there is no good representation of "persons of color". it's just lazy armchair criticism bullshit to get their names out there.

there's at least some validity in "confederate" pessimism.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:43 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
These are the same people constantly attacking game of thrones.

Here's what I find interesting. Many of the same people protesting this project are praising The Handmaid's Tale for being "relevant" and "a modern day cautionary tale" and things like that.

I mean... come on. that's the essence of WYC

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:45 am 

W_Z wrote:
i'm sure the intention would be to show them in a bad light; but the fear from them is still the glorification, even if it's a villain. there are fans of cersei. they wouldn't want to see fans of the confederates. "thrones" is entirely fiction, whereas "confederate" has some actual history that's still pertinent to us.

i disagree completely with the "thrones" criticisms. the most pure relationship portrayed in the entire series is between two black characters. that seems to be overlooked by their accusations that there is no good representation of "persons of color". it's just lazy armchair criticism bullshit to get their names out there.

I'm fine with pessimism. Blanket criticism and calling for the project to be shutdown are unacceptable imo, and a much bigger problem than the project itself could possibly be.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:47 am 

FavreFan wrote:
I don't entirely agree with the last part of your post. I would agree that a lot of the South doesn't disavow the Confederacy the same way most of Germany disavows Nazisim, but it's also a much more nuanced discussion than a simple 1:1 comparison, and I don't think many have the patience for that type of discussion.

well, there's no nuance when it comes to this kind of reactionary criticism. it's always a five alarm fire. i'm not condoning attacking something before it's out, i'm just agreeing with some of the sentiment that it can be perceived as offensive and insensitive.

the difference between germany in the 30's/40's and the US during the civil war is that the latter was a *civil* war, between its own nation. germany did not have defectors overthrowing hitler to free the concentration camps. there's a strange mystique to nazism because of what they got away with for a time. but germany wants nothing to do with that part of their history; we're still coming to terms with ours. it's harder because while the south "lost", they still are a part of our country and there are parts that still believe in the confederacy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:48 am 

W_Z wrote:

They want it cancelled. That's more than pessimism.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:49 am 

FavreFan wrote:
W_Z wrote:

I'm fine with pessimism. Blanket criticism and calling for the project to be shutdown are unacceptable imo, and a much bigger problem than the project itself could possibly be.

i don't think they'll accomplish what they want. HBO is probably loving the controversy because it's free advertising. they can protest all they want, but the show will go on if there's already money put into it. which i think there is by this point.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:03 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I'm always amazed when people seemingly have so few responsibilities in their lives they can be professional protestors. If a good portion of your daily energy and time is going towards "protesting" HBO then I question how you can hold down a real job, or a romantic relationship, or raise kids, or even pay your damn bills on time. Forever embroiled in a state of disgust and constantly searching for outrage has to be so fucking draining on you and the people around you. How can these people even find joy, let alone the higher state of consciousness they desperately seek?

That being said, I find the concept of the show just meh.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:10 am 

FavreFan wrote:
People are protesting a work of art before even seeing the finished product. The Regressive Left strikes again. All this type of shit does is alienate reasonable people from your cause.

I'd like to think this is just a small number of oversensitive crybabies but no, this was the number one thing trending on Twitter last night. Shameful.

I like to believe it's a bit of a self selecting thing with people on Twitter. That's where SJWs are born and live. Hopefully there are a lot of sensible people on the left who just have better things to do than hashtag

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:13 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
FavreFan wrote:

I couldn't think of a greater collection of over sensitive crybabies than Twitter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:18 am 

312player wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I couldn't think of a greater collection of over sensitive crybabies than Twitter.

RIP Remo

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:42 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
FavreFan wrote:
All this type of shit does is alienate reasonable people from your cause.

This statement actually applies to both sides of the aisle. It's become very difficult to find interest groups and politicians that you can actually agree with. They seem to take everything to an extreme and forget that democracy requires compromise and understanding instead of shouting and name calling.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:46 am 

denisdman wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
All this type of shit does is alienate reasonable people from your cause.

This statement actually applies to both sides of the aisle. It's become very difficult to find interest groups and politicians that you can actually agree with. They seem to take everything to an extreme and forget that democracy requires compromise and understanding instead of shouting and name calling.

Pretty much. I would go further to say I do not see an end in sight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Just imagine what these miserable Kansas City burritos would be saying if they were around when Mel Brooks was making Blazing Saddles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:59 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Just imagine what these miserable Kansas City burritos would be saying if they were around when Mel Brooks was making Blazing Saddles

You dont even have to go back that far. There's Something About Mary is "maaaad problematic"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
why do posters like FF and JLN search out for people to be mad at who are mad about things?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:06 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
why do posters like FF and JLN search out for people to be mad at who are mad about things?

In this case it's an attempt to limit what could be a good viewing option. HBO even had to respond. Do we really want Twitter perpetual victims dictating what we can see?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:10 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

In this case it's an attempt to limit what could be a good viewing option. HBO even had to respond. Do we really want Twitter perpetual victims dictating what we can see?

hbo: we take your concerns seriously. now here is the show.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:14 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

hbo: we take your concerns are seriously. now here is the show.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:17 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

But the larger concern is, these idiots can and do effect change even when it's not called for. For some reason, they do get listened to. Like Rick said, HBO had to respond to this . It's crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:27 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

But the larger concern is, these idiots can and do effect change even when it's not called for. For some reason, they do get listened to. Like Rick said, HBO had to respond to this . It's crazy.

such as....?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:37 am 

You've never seen people get fired, sponsors pull out of something over social media backlash ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
There is an entire outrage industry and these assholes basically do this for a living. You can blame the blue checkmark brigade for pushing this shit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:46 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

such as....?

HBO cancelled a show quickly about horse racing because of animal safety concerns. Other shows may face more scrutiny because of this.

It's possible Mad Men would have faced similar resistance due to how it may have portrayed women. Any show dealing with past generations is a target of the perpetual victimhood group.