It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:43 pm 

America wrote:
Give me a quick and concise description of why a flag triggers you so hard.
It doesn't but I'm lucky that I'm not really a person who should be.

I just want you to explain the meaning of the flag that isn't at least in part due to racism.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
:lol: this whole thread. Literally every single post of it save three or four, who are also laughing at how ludicrous this is.

How much more dramatic can you be than this:

Quote:
100% a sign of racism if you brandish that flag in the north.

99% if you fly it in the south.

brandish
Get the fuck out of here...you cant be serious.

If you let some stars and bars offend you then you just aren't cut out for this world. Like the rest of the snowflakes and professional complainers you need to stay in your academia safe space insulated from the rest of the world. Go get your handout degree in Alternative African Studies and then debate about who invented the traffic signal.

Quote:
but it's hard to take the racial aspect out of it.

Its actually really easy. Painfully easy. You know the swatztika has been around forever right? Still in use today in parts of the world and it doesn't mean what you think. The issue is not with the symbol, its with your inherent faggy disposition that has to go searching for "problematic" things to whine about.
Give me a quick and concise description of why the Confederate flag is still used and why no other symbol would suffice.

And do tell where in the developed world the swastika is in use for a different meaning than the Bannon types intend.

Or why the hilarious need to reference a degree in African studies in a post and thread where it's completely irrelevant

Roommate was a Hindu. His mom made him a bed spread with the symbol. Went over well with the Jewish people on the floor.

Should add it was not a replication of Blackmon white circle with red field mind you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:

Any person who should be is, at the aboslute youngest, about 170 years old. Everyone else who's triggered by it is just wants sympathy or something to bitch about. They want the scars but they don't want the war.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:48 pm 

If a civil war veteran or plantation slave comes into this thread I will defer to them. I promise.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Peoria Matt wrote:
Twitter and FB should be expunged from society.

My guy!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:57 pm 

America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:

Any person who should be is, at the aboslute youngest, about 170 years old. Everyone else who's triggered by it is just wants sympathy or something to bitch about. They want the scars but they don't want the war.
You didn't answer the question about what the confederate flag represents if racism isn't at least part of it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:57 pm 

America wrote:
If a civil war veteran or plantation slave comes into this thread I will defer to them. I promise.

America wrote:

The Civil War is actually a bit more recent than people realize. Civil War veterans were still alive, about the same age WW2 vets are now, when the US entered its modern era with a crystallized culture in the 1930's and 40's. There are even still children of Civil War veterans alive today, shit the last Civil War widow died in 2003! To these people, who the conflict affected very directly and in a way nobody from this era can possibly understand, those symbols are a coping mechanism for a lost generation.

A lot of people think Confederate soldiers dont deserve respect or recognition for their sacrifices because they are on the wrong side of history. I think that people who feel that way should spend a few months battling dysentery before suffering a 3 day artillery bombardment before they chose to comment on the character of men who fought and died in some of the worst ways imaginable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
W_Z wrote:
America wrote:

America wrote:

The Civil War is actually a bit more recent than people realize. Civil War veterans were still alive, about the same age WW2 vets are now, when the US entered its modern era with a crystallized culture in the 1930's and 40's. There are even still children of Civil War veterans alive today, shit the last Civil War widow died in 2003! To these people, who the conflict affected very directly and in a way nobody from this era can possibly understand, those symbols are a coping mechanism for a lost generation.

A lot of people think Confederate soldiers dont deserve respect or recognition for their sacrifices because they are on the wrong side of history. I think that people who feel that way should spend a few months battling dysentery before suffering a 3 day artillery bombardment before they chose to comment on the character of men who fought and died in some of the worst ways imaginable.

:lol:

The second major roasting of the day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:

You didn't answer the question about what the confederate flag represents if racism isn't at least part of it.

If you think the flag is racist that's your problem, not the flag's.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:01 pm 

W_Z wrote:
America wrote:

America wrote:

Thank you, this answers Brick's question quite nicely. Didn't want to type it out again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I don't think the modern Southerner sees the Confederate statues and/or battle flag as a celebration of those who specifically fought to maintain slavery. I believe they see that crap as part of some heritage that they feel is worth honoring. But that's just dunderheaded. Those things can't really be separated. Still, I don't think it's evil in the way a guy with a Nazi flag hanging on the wall in his basement is evil. That guy is flying that flag for an obvious and specific purpose and it ain't good. The Confederate bullshit is more like the hijab. Just ignorance regarding what it really means.

It's pretty complex...the Confederate flag, that is....especially since so many non-Southerners have taken it in as one of the markers of their identity. Weird. It seems to me that the South, and now the Midwest (outside the large cities), is home to lots of resentment.

It's funny that this thread is going and I noticed one of my friends posted a picture of his garage/motorcycle on Facebook. There's a big ass rebel flag on the wall in there. The thing is, I know this guy isn't a racist. What he thinks that flag is about, I'm not sure. I guess he thinks it represents general rebellion or him imagining himself an outsider or whatever. I never beef on anyone on Facebook- that's why i come here- so I'm not gonna say, "Hey dumbshit, why the fuck are you flying that idiot flag?" But I will think that.

I think anyone who flies the confederate flag is at least a little racist.

Even though there's black southerners who fly it?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I don't think the modern Southerner sees the Confederate statues and/or battle flag as a celebration of those who specifically fought to maintain slavery. I believe they see that crap as part of some heritage that they feel is worth honoring. But that's just dunderheaded. Those things can't really be separated. Still, I don't think it's evil in the way a guy with a Nazi flag hanging on the wall in his basement is evil. That guy is flying that flag for an obvious and specific purpose and it ain't good. The Confederate bullshit is more like the hijab. Just ignorance regarding what it really means.

It's pretty complex...the Confederate flag, that is....especially since so many non-Southerners have taken it in as one of the markers of their identity. Weird. It seems to me that the South, and now the Midwest (outside the large cities), is home to lots of resentment.

It's funny that this thread is going and I noticed one of my friends posted a picture of his garage/motorcycle on Facebook. There's a big ass rebel flag on the wall in there. The thing is, I know this guy isn't a racist. What he thinks that flag is about, I'm not sure. I guess he thinks it represents general rebellion or him imagining himself an outsider or whatever. I never beef on anyone on Facebook- that's why i come here- so I'm not gonna say, "Hey dumbshit, why the fuck are you flying that idiot flag?" But I will think that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Are they Lynyrd Skynyrd fans?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Hockey Gay wrote:
the myth that the South's main motivation for secession was due to slavery.

Now that frosts my ass, particularly after your pithy little comment about people not knowing history.

Perhaps you could use a review of actual history ... let's begin:

Wrought directly from the Declarations of War of North Carolina:

...A geographical line has been drawn across the Union, and all the States north of that line have united in the election of a man to the high office of President of the United States, whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery. He is to be entrusted with the administration of the common Government, because he has declared that that “Government cannot endure permanently half slave, half free,” and that the public mind must rest in the belief that slavery is in the course of ultimate extinction. This sectional combination for the submersion of the Constitution, has been aided in some of the States by elevating to citizenship, persons who, by the supreme law of the land, are incapable of becoming citizens; and their votes have been used to inaugurate a new policy, hostile to the South, and destructive of its beliefs and safety.

From the great state of Mississippi:

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery—the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin…

Louisiana:

As a separate republic, Louisiana remembers too well the whisperings of European diplomacy for the abolition of slavery in the times of an­nexation not to be apprehensive of bolder demonstrations from the same quarter and the North in this country. The people of the slave holding States are bound together by the same necessity and determination to preserve African slavery.

Alabama: roll tide

Upon the principles then announced by Mr. Lincoln and his leading friends, we are bound to expect his administration to be conducted. Hence it is, that in high places, among the Republi­can party, the election of Mr. Lincoln is hailed, not simply as it change of Administration, but as the inauguration of new princi­ples, and a new theory of Government, and even as the downfall of slavery. Therefore it is that the election of Mr. Lincoln cannot be regarded otherwise than a solemn declaration, on the part of a great majority of the Northern people, of hostility to the South, her property and her institutions—nothing less than an open declaration of war—for the triumph of this new theory of Government destroys the property of the South, lays waste her fields, and inaugurates all the horrors of a San Domingo servile insurrection, consigning her citizens to assassinations, and. her wives and daughters to pollution and violation, to gratify the lust of half-civilized Africans.

Texas:

...in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding states....

In 1858, the eventual president of the Confederacy Jefferson Davis threatened secession should a Republican be elected to the presidency:

I say to you here as I have said to the Democracy of New York, if it should ever come to pass that the Constitution shall be perverted to the destruction of our rights so that we shall have the mere right as a feeble minority unprotected by the barrier of the Constitution to give an ineffectual negative vote in the Halls of Congress, we shall then bear to the federal government the relation our colonial fathers did to the British crown, and if we are worthy of our lineage we will in that event redeem our rights even if it be through the process of revolution.

James Henry Hammond, from his infamous "Cotton King" speech:

The difference between us is, that our slaves are hired for life and well compensated; there is no starvation, no begging, no want of employment among our people, and not too much employment either. Yours are hired by the day, not cared for, and scantily compensated, which may be proved in the most painful manner, at any hour in any street of your large towns. Why, you meet more beggars in one day, in any single street of the city of New York, than you would meet in a lifetime in the whole South.

We do not think that whites should be slaves either by law or necessity. Our slaves are black, of another and inferior race. The status in which we have placed them is an elevation. They are elevated from the condition in which God first created them, by being made our slaves. None of that race on the whole face of the globe can be compared with the slaves of the South. They are happy, content, unaspiring, and utterly incapable, from intellectual weakness, ever to give us any trouble by their aspirations. Yours are white, of your own race; you are brothers of one blood. They are your equals in natural endowment of intellect, and they feel galled by their degradation.

Edward Alfred Pollard, in a delightful little 1859 tome entitled "Black Diamonds Gathered in the Darkey Homes of the South" comes this gem:

Looking into the possibilities of the future, regarding the magnificent country of tropical America, which lies in the path of our destiny on this continent, we may see an empire as powerful and gorgeous as ever was pictured in our dreams of history. What is that empire? It is an empire founded on military ideas; representing the noble peculiarities of Southern civilization; including within its limits the isthmuses of America and the regenerated West Indies; having control of the two dominant staples of the world's commerce—cotton and sugar; possessing the highways of the world's commerce; surpassing all empires of the age in the strength of its geographical position; and, in short, combining elements of strength, prosperity, and glory, such as never before in the modern ages have been placed within the reach of a single government. What a splendid vision of empire!

How sublime in its associations! How noble and inspiriting the idea, that upon the strange theatre of tropical America, once, if we may believe the dimmer facts of history, crowned with magnificent empires and flashing cities and great temples, now covered with mute ruins, and trampled over by half-savages, the destiny of Southern civilization is to be consummated in a glory brighter even than that of old, the glory of an empire, controlling the commerce of the world, impregnable in its position, and representing in its internal structure the most harmonious of all the systems of modern civilization.

Mississippi Senator Albert Gallatin Brown:

I want Cuba, and I know that sooner or later we must have it. If the worm-eaten throne of Spain is willing to give it for a fair equivalent, well—if not, we must take it. I want Tamaulipas, Potosi, and one or two other Mexican States; and I want them all for the same reason—for the planting and spreading of slavery.

And a footing in Central America will powerfully aid us in acquiring those other states. It will render them less valuable to the other powers of the earth, and thereby diminish competition with us. Yes, I want these countries for the spread of slavery. I would spread the blessings of slavery, like the religion of our Divine Master, to the uttermost ends of the earth, and rebellious and wicked as the Yankees have been, I would even extend it to them.

I would not force it upon them, as I would not force religion upon them, but I would preach it to them, as I would preach the gospel. They are a stiff-necked and rebellious race, and I have little hope that they will receive the blessing, and I would therefore prepare for its spread to other more favored lands.

People who haughtily declare that the Civil War had little or nothing to do with slavery as though it's some ignored, almost Gnostic fact that only they and a privileged subset of society are really 'in the know' about, should be lit on fire whilst these and other excerpts are read aloud, illuminated by the light of immolated idiots. Bonus points for wrapping them in a Confederate flag beforehand.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:29 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
You are free to answer the question I asked earlier too.

Though "a few black people agree" is quite a slippery slope.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:32 pm 

FF just dropped something akin to a racist person saying: "I'm not racist, I once had a black person over to my house for dinner"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Douchebag wrote:
FF just dropped something akin to a racist person saying: "I'm not racist, I once had a black person over to my house for dinner"

I don't think so. I'm just saying, I saw that on multiple occasions when I lived in Louisiana. That's why Brick's quote sounded strange.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:53 pm 

Because we all know that black people must follow lock-step with the Democratic party at all times #plantationmindset

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

Don Tiny wrote:
People who haughtily declare that the Civil War had little or nothing to do with slavery as though it's some ignored, almost Gnostic fact that only they and a privileged subset of society are really 'in the know' about, should be lit on fire whilst these and other excerpts are read aloud, illuminated by the light of immolated idiots. Bonus points for wrapping them in a Confederate flag beforehand.

No, no, it was about states' rights! Yeah, the rights of certain states to have legalized slavery.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Jbi11s wrote:

I get why it's a simple for Kid Rock. Whether or not he's racist, I'm not sure....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:21 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I get why it's a simple for Kid Rock. Whether or not he's racist, I'm not sure....

He's worse, a no talent opportunist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Boy, James Henry Hammond is lucky Twitter wasn't around then. Quad Cities Pat would have lit him up!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Bo and Luke say Fuck you if you don't love the General.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:10 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Herbert Perry's walk-up music

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:12 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

Whatever station showed those re-runs took them off the air last year, I think, because of the obvious.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
formerlyknownas wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Whatever station showed those re-runs took them off the air last year, I think, because of the obvious.

How the fuck does CMT take the goddamn Duke boys off the air?

Madness!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:33 pm 

Don Tiny brought the heat!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:39 pm 

That Enos spinoff sure sucked. We watched with great anticipation. I was about ten. The first episode of Enos had something to do with that dipstick shutting down a porn ring. Family entertainment!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:42 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Herbert Perry's walk-up music

The milkman boreth

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next